Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice shot! Damn glad I didn't have to field dress and pack it out
View Quote

I got an 820 lb moose with a 51" spread.  I felt like I was gutting a whale.  My whole arm was inside.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is moose good?
View Quote

It's excellent.  I'd say most people would prefer it to deer or elk due to their diet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fantastic shot

I'm not sure I would expose MY kid to that sort of thing that early, particularly carving up a corpse,  but credit to him for involving his kids.  And that shot is just incredible
View Quote

It's ok. Some of us are trying to not raise little citified pussies.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Your not pulling a 1100 meter 1 shot slaying on a moose doing a fucking pot shot. Yes your being that guy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very interested in what caliber & bullet he was using.  Fucking dropped that big-ass moose RFN. That guy has skills.

Watch again, you can see the water mist  when the bullet spines him right in front of the rear quarters...taking away control of the rear legs....just like dropping a tree.....

You think he intended for that placement or it was just luck?

That shot was 3-4 feet away from a proper placement and if it hadn't hit the spine, the animal would have walked off with a gut shot.

I'll be "that guy". It was luck that he hit the spine. You can't target that small of a target at those distances.

Two seconds is a long time for an animal to decide to move. Now, I'd say he probably knows the movements and habits of moose much better than I. But, they are still unpredictable and two seconds is a long time.

Unless he was starving, IMHO, that's what we call  a "pot shot". Shooting in hopes you'll get lucky.

It's not that much different than a guy I know who brags about shooting a deer at 200 yards with a shotgun and hit it "Right in the eye".  

I've no doubt the guy had his shit together. The more you practice and better equipment you have, the luckier you get.

Your not pulling a 1100 meter 1 shot slaying on a moose doing a fucking pot shot. Yes your being that guy.

When you can't do you gotta rant?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very interested in what caliber & bullet he was using.  Fucking dropped that big-ass moose RFN. That guy has skills.

Watch again, you can see the water mist  when the bullet spines him right in front of the rear quarters...taking away control of the rear legs....just like dropping a tree.....

That shot was 3-4 feet away from a proper placement and if it hadn't hit the spine, the animal would have walked off with a gut shot.

I'll be "that guy". It was luck that he hit the spine. You can't target that small of a target at those distances.

Two seconds is a long time for an animal to decide to move. Now, I'd say he probably knows the movements and habits of moose much better than I. But, they are still unpredictable and two seconds is a long time.

Unless he was starving, IMHO, that's what we call  a "pot shot". Shooting in hopes you'll get lucky.

It's not that much different than a guy I know who brags about shooting a deer at 200 yards with a shotgun and hit it "Right in the eye".  

I've no doubt the guy had his shit together. The more you practice and better equipment you have, the luckier you get.

When you can't intelligently rebut you have to insinuate something that you have no idea whether it's valid or not?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's excellent.  I'd say most people would prefer it to deer or elk due to their diet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is moose good?

For me, deer<elk<bison<moose<caribou.

Hell of a shot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Not being foul at you personally. I'm just being defensive for the long range hunters.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is the issue as I see it.  Let's say you have a 1 MOA rifle, and you are sufficiently skilled that your groups are always inside 1 MOA.  1100 meters is 1202 yards.  1 MOA at 1202 yards is in excess of 12.4 inches.  On your best day, barring absolute randomness, you can expect to hit about 6" from your point of aim, and it it could be as much as 12" off.

I suppose it is helpful that a moose is huge, so you can miss by a foot and still hit the thing, but I wouldn't call shooting it in the rump a great shot under any circumstances.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nice shot , I am not sure 1100 yards . The sound to hit seemed short for 1100
View Quote

derp.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My best honest guess..the guy lives full time out in the bush far from others, hence hunting only with his young daughter...everyone I know who use boats(including some of our group) normally hunt 2 guys per boat and at least 2 boats on the trip for safety...
  Now for the shot taking...he obviously has quite a bit of practice at distance..he also had the moose out in a pretty open area as well..and there's a good chance the moose may have stayed right there even with a gut shot, since it had no clue any danger is around based off how moose we have shot acted...also, can't be positive, but that didn't look like a trophy bull, but a barely legal 50" spread meat bull...the kind a guy living on his own off the system would harvest to get as much meat as possible...spike/fork bulls really aren't enough meat for a family for a year if it's their main staple..And lastly, one of our hunt areas is like this as far as longer shots, it is a spot we hit before normal hunting seasons as part of our community hunt...moose are super wary, it's just above tree line where they are crossing open country, where just skylineing yourself will send the Bulls running to greener pastures 10 miles away its an odd deal we don't see anywhere else, but it's a great spot that normally requires long shots... Not knowing the area the guy is hunting it may well be that was his best chance to get meat..And I won't condemn him for the shot, because in the end..it worked and he harvested the meat..much better then one area we hunt where every year we find at least one illegal bull shot and left to rot because the shooter couldn't judge a legal animal at 100 yards...

I think his bull was about like this one..a 50", 4 brow time legal meat bull....

Another, but 57" ....

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is the issue as I see it.  Let's say you have a 1 MOA rifle, and you are sufficiently skilled that your groups are always inside 1 MOA.  1100 meters is 1202 yards.  1 MOA at 1202 yards is in excess of 12.4 inches.  On your best day, barring absolute randomness, you can expect to hit about 6" from your point of aim, and it it could be as much as 12" off.

I suppose it is helpful that a moose is huge, so you can miss by a foot and still hit the thing, but I wouldn't call shooting it in the rump a great shot under any circumstances.
View Quote

This is why generally speaking you know the vital zone of the animal your shooting and you know the group your able to keep depending on all the environmental factors you could face. So when the situation arises you already know if your capable of making the shot cause you have made them already. Why it always makes me shake my head when some retard shoots his rifle from a bench with no wind out to whatever yard then thinks he's going to be able to do that in the hills when he's fatigued, on a side hill, in the wind off his ass.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can figure the heart on a bull moose as the size of a dinner plate..
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Such a magnificent animal to slaughter like that. I hate hunters. It's such an unnecessary thing in this day and age.

Just kidding, great shot, good dad, and lots of delicious meat for the freezer! I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do people keep saying it was shot in the ass when the closeup clearly shows blood pouring out of the mouth?  It was a damn fine shot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hell of a shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is moose good?

Hell of a shot.

I've never had caribou, and I grew up in Canada.  I've heard it's delicious.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Part of your issue is not understanding how quadrupeds (4 legged creatures) fall when the spine is affected.

The rear legs carry less than 40%. If you shoot a bull or buck near the top of the shoulders the hind quarters will drop first.

The front legs support much more weight because it requires very little muscle to support weight at the front end. The rear end on a quadruped is hinged and requires constant muscle tension to stay erect.

Affect the CNS and the back end hits the dirt much sooner than the front end.

That bull was shot forward of center and the shot affected the spine.

Nice placement.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why do people keep saying it was shot in the ass when the closeup clearly shows blood pouring out of the mouth?  It was a damn fine shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watch the video..you can see a mist cloud at the front of his rear quarters right at the spine(moose hide is normally wet this time of year), the blood up front is most likely a finish shot when he got there...watch close and you can see the rear fold after the hit, then when it's on the ground you can see the front legs kicking, rear not moving...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Man's man. Complete with kit. Doesn't get better.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is moose good?

Hell of a shot.

I prefer our moose over caribou, with my favorite being moose porterhouse...but sometimes I will cut some of the roast and crappier cuts up into snack strips...they come out damn good...most of both animals just get made into bacon burger, and such..

Snack strips...

Steaks...

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I prefer our moose over caribou, with my favorite being moose porterhouse...but sometimes I will cut some of the roast and crappier cuts up into snack strips...they come out damn good...most of both animals just get made into bacon burger, and such..

Snack strips...

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/MEAT/IMG_0598_zpsjjaxdfdj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/IMG_0598_zpsjjaxdfdj.jpg</a>

Steaks...

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/MEAT/2013-09-13_02-21-54_8_zpsb7d69989.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/2013-09-13_02-21-54_8_zpsb7d69989.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is moose good?

Hell of a shot.

Snack strips...

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/MEAT/IMG_0598_zpsjjaxdfdj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/IMG_0598_zpsjjaxdfdj.jpg</a>

Steaks...

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/MEAT/2013-09-13_02-21-54_8_zpsb7d69989.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/MEAT/2013-09-13_02-21-54_8_zpsb7d69989.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fantastic shot

I'm not sure I would expose MY kid to that sort of thing that early, particularly carving up a corpse,  but credit to him for involving his kids.  And that shot is just incredible
View Quote

They learn there is nothing wrong about turning animals into food.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some people are better shots then you and own better equipment.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic shot

I've never skinned anything deer sized (pretty much just moose for me) so I was wondering.  Why leave the skin on till you get home, or does the temp not matter that much for the size/short distance to travel, rules about leaving skins and gut piles?  Everything gets skinned and quartered before tossed in a game bag for us.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they wont let us kill moose in nevada so tell they do

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've never skinned anything deer sized (pretty much just moose for me) so I was wondering.  Why leave the skin on till you get home, or does the temp not matter that much for the size/short distance to travel, rules about leaving skins and gut piles?  Everything gets skinned and quartered before tossed in a game bag for us.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic shot

If you can get the carcass cooled with the skin on it allows dry aging without losing a lot of moisture.

We regularly hang carcasses (elk) for 30 days or more and without the skin there would be unacceptable drying loss.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you can get the carcass cooled with the skin on it allows dry aging without losing a lot of moisture.

We regularly hang carcasses (elk) for 30 days or more and without the skin there would be unacceptable drying loss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic shot

Fair enough  I think at most we hang for a week, week and a half in the garage and spritz with citric acid till the 'skin' forms, then as needed.  Always been curious about hanging moose for longer though.

Btw, Snowrider, that is an awesome setup you have in that thread.  Lucky bastard  If I end up moving down that way for warmer weather, I might have to 'hey buddy' you
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fair enough  I think at most we hang for a week, week and a half in the garage and spritz with citric acid till the 'skin' forms, then as needed.  Always been curious about hanging moose for longer though.

Btw, Snowrider, that is an awesome setup you have in that thread.  Lucky bastard  If I end up moving down that way for warmer weather, I might have to 'hey buddy' you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic shot

It is all part of our small hunt community...works good though...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully you'll get out next year if you didn't go this summer.  God knows I miss being in the woods.  Going up Murphy Dome with AKMike was my 'outside' for the summer.  You've got to be antsy too.

I know my brother and dad were out for the moose opener and didn't see squat up the Elliot Highway in their usual spot this year.  They shot both grouse they saw, but that was (if you listen to them) pretty much it for wildlife that way.  I'm kinda wondering if that huge wolfpack cleared out that run before moving on.  We'll find out in a month or two if they start eating dogs in town again, seems like it's been a few years since the last go.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hopefully you'll get out next year if you didn't go this summer.  God knows I miss being in the woods.  Going up Murphy Dome with AKMike was my 'outside' for the summer.  You've got to be antsy too.

I know my brother and dad were out for the moose opener and didn't see squat up the Elliot Highway in their usual spot this year.  They shot both grouse they saw, but that was (if you listen to them) pretty much it for wildlife that way.  I'm kinda wondering if that huge wolfpack cleared out that run before moving on.  We'll find out in a month or two if they start eating dogs in town again, seems like it's been a few years since the last go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No go for me this year, heck, Ithink the boys only took a couple moose and one bou this  season, bou were all pretty small bodied so everyone decided to wait for the sled hunt.... Moose wise, most everyone were to busy to go this year, I think total was 3 guys doing weekend trips only...yeah, hoping to go next year, but will have to see...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic shot

I live on my hunting land, we bring the deer home whole.
Skin them with the skid loader, then gut.
A very clean and quick process.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall making any representations about my shooting ability or equipment.  If you want to know however, you can check my entry in the 1 MOA all day challenge thread.  What I offered was a hypothetical with the assumption of a 1 MOA combination of shooter, ammo, and rifle.  Since we don't know what kind of equipment the guy in the video was using, we can only speculate, but the mechanical error inherent in even the best possible rifle/ammo combination makes taking an 1100 meter shot in the filed on a game animal a dubious proposition, ethically speaking.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic shot

Most of the deer here in VA are small enough that you can just move them whole once you field dress them.  No need to quarter in the field.  Usually when I am hunting it is cold enough that meat spoilage isn't really an issue.  Also, I am rarely more than a couple hours from home.  Besides, lots of guys just field dress the animal and drop it off at a processor.  They usually skin it for you as part of the service.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Dropped him like a sack of shit. What a shot...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Good, legal shot.  

I fucking hate it when hunters throw around the word "ethical".
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

"pot shot" at 1,200 yards?!?!?

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fantastic shot

Exactly!

My son was hunting with me at four.

I have two granddaughters now. Both are toddlers.

You can bet that they will be shooting and hunting soon.

The reason why this country is in the shape it's in now is because of that type of mindset, david05111.

No offense, but your child your rules.

Children need to learn the circle of life young, because by the time they get to the Government Indoctrination Camps (school) they become Liberal SJW's.

Start them young.

Does anyone else agree?

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Good shot and bringing the kid along.

Dad has made a shot like that before.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#38]
The picture above of the youngster stirring the gut pile is awesome.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm not a fan of that long of distance shots when hunting (too chancy for shot placement), but it was neat to see.

I have always heard about quartering moose up and carrying the pieces out, but never seen it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of that long of distance shots when hunting (too chancy for shot placement), but it was neat to see.

I have always heard about quartering moose up and carrying the pieces out, but never seen it.
View Quote

A lot of other big game is quartered and packed out.

Especially when they are taken in an area inaccessible to vehicles.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#41]
quote]

I don't recall making any representations about my shooting ability or equipment.  If you want to know however, you can check my entry in the 1 MOA all day challenge thread.  What I offered was a hypothetical with the assumption of a 1 MOA combination of shooter, ammo, and rifle.  Since we don't know what kind of equipment the guy in the video was using, we can only speculate, but the mechanical error inherent in even the best possible rifle/ammo combination makes taking an 1100 meter shot in the filed on a game animal a dubious proposition, ethically speaking.

Pretty much my thoughts, i'll be a loser with you...

.  For me I don't really care but not a shot I would ethically take.  I live where there are more deer/elk then people.  There is always wounded animals wandering around during hunting season and I assume some bad ass tried a 4-500 yard shot and hit the thing in the leg or something. Like it or not most "hunters" I know are park on the side of the road and look through the binoculars types and couldn't shoot shit. Glad they get the meat though, good shot anyway.
Give me a sticker that says pussy on it and i'll put it on I don't really care.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:19:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
quote]

Pretty much my thoughts, i'll be a loser with you...

.  For me I don't really care but not a shot I would ethically take.  I live where there are more deer/elk then people.  There is always wounded animals wandering around during hunting season and I assume some bad ass tried a 4-500 yard shot and hit the thing in the leg or something. Like it or not most "hunters" I know are park on the side of the road and look through the binoculars types and couldn't shoot shit. Glad they get the meat though, good shot anyway.
Give me a sticker that says pussy on it and i'll put it on I don't really care.  
View Quote

4-500 yards isn't hardly "long range"
most of the deer I take are between 450-700 yards. its not magic, just practice and good equipment.
no one said you are a pussy or loser, but your understanding and dismissal of people who hunt past your comfort zone paints you in a poor light.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:39:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Fantastic shot

View Quote

That is part of the life of growing up in the bush. Kids that young are out picking berries where the Black bear, Grizzly's, wolves and cougars roam the wilds.
Around Williston Lake, BC, Canada, you don't hunt, it is for survival and living, not for fun.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:43:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I wonder what caliber he used. Whatever it was it sure planted that big guy.
View Quote

Over on BC hunting someone mentioned it was a .338-378 Weatherby, which is on par with the .338 Laupa.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:45:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My best honest guess..the guy lives full time out in the bush far from others, hence hunting only with his young daughter...everyone I know who use boats(including some of our group) normally hunt 2 guys per boat and at least 2 boats on the trip for safety...
  Now for the shot taking...he obviously has quite a bit of practice at distance..he also had the moose out in a pretty open area as well..and there's a good chance the moose may have stayed right there even with a gut shot, since it had no clue any danger is around based off how moose we have shot acted...also, can't be positive, but that didn't look like a trophy bull, but a barely legal 50" spread meat bull...the kind a guy living on his own off the system would harvest to get as much meat as possible...spike/fork bulls really aren't enough meat for a family for a year if it's their main staple..And lastly, one of our hunt areas is like this as far as longer shots, it is a spot we hit before normal hunting seasons as part of our community hunt...moose are super wary, it's just above tree line where they are crossing open country, where just skylineing yourself will send the Bulls running to greener pastures 10 miles away its an odd deal we don't see anywhere else, but it's a great spot that normally requires long shots... Not knowing the area the guy is hunting it may well be that was his best chance to get meat..And I won't condemn him for the shot, because in the end..it worked and he harvested the meat..much better then one area we hunt where every year we find at least one illegal bull shot and left to rot because the shooter couldn't judge a legal animal at 100 yards...

I think his bull was about like this one..a 50", 4 brow time legal meat bull....

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/Pictures/DSC00482.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/Pictures/DSC00482.jpg</a>

Another, but 57" ....

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/9-22-2012/DSC01094_zps6405893c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/9-22-2012/DSC01094_zps6405893c.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/Pictures/DSC00482.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/Pictures/DSC00482.jpg</a>

Another, but 57" ....

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/9-22-2012/DSC01094_zps6405893c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/9-22-2012/DSC01094_zps6405893c.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:31:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another, but 57" ....

A real trophy bull...(not one of ours)...l

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:36:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I just had it for the first time this week.  I thought it taste really similar to elk.  So yes it was quite delicious.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just had it for the first time this week.  I thought it taste really similar to elk.  So yes it was quite delicious.
View Quote

If any of our members here are in the military and stationed up here...Pm me and I will gift you some moose burger and you can give it a try for burgers..it's good stuff...

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:47:23 AM EDT
[#49]
BAD SHOOT.

Long range hunters can almost never guarantee hits, let alone ethical kill shots.

Hitting it in the rump isn't a good hit. He's just lucky it couldn't run off.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I know of one fella who killed an elk at well over 2k yards with a benchrest rifle.

Also know one who killed an antelope at over 1500 with a non-benchrest rifle.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top