Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/29/2016 4:28:01 PM EDT
I never have, but I'm hearing more and more from folks that they are and I should be. Do any of you guys wear eye or ear protection while big game hunting, for instance? It seems like hearing protection would be robbing you of one of your key means of game detection.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I always wore eye protection.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I never have, electronic ear pro or something probably is not a bad idea though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I always wear hearing protection, but then I have tinnitus, soooooo...

It's gotten to the point where gunshots actually hurt when I have no earpro, so I don't have much choice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I never have.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I take ear plugs when I am groundhog hunting. I should take them deer hunting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
No.

Part of the thrill of the kill is a little tinnitus afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I only wear eye protection when hunting public dove fields. I still want to keep my eyesight if I get shot in the face.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I wear ear pro when dove and occasionally when duck hunting.  I never have when deer or turkey hunting.

I have some pretty awesome hearing loss.

I always wear eye pro when dove hunting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Couple of decades of duck/bird hunting with no eye or ear pro.  Stupid not to at least wear clear eye pro.  I now always wear clear eye pro.  Still no ear pro.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I wear glasses so I always have the eye pro.  If I'm handgun hunting I'll typically have ear plugs.  The Smith 29 is loud.  Some of my deer hunting friends always have ear pro.  The shotgun doesn't bother me much and I typically hear deer in the woods before I see them.  Bird hunting I don't bother with ear protection.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never have.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I only wear eye protection when hunting public dove fields. I still want to keep my eyesight if I get shot in the face.
View Quote

Good idea there.  Also, plenty of shot raining down all around too when you are looking up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I never have.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Uh... Oakley Flak jackets count as eye pro right?

Then I do, when it's sunny.

Other wise, no.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't until 4 years ago, when my MK12 did me in and gave me tinnitus forever in my left ear. Now I do. Or a suppressor
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I always wore eye protection.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been wearing eye protection since I was 4 years old......
But I don't wear ear protection when hunting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I have always had eye pro while hunting, usually in the form of sunglasses.  Never worried about ears much though
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Sometimes wear ear sometimes don't.   Depends what I'm shooting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Only thing I hunt is deer.  Don't wear eye protection or hearing protection.  One shot is all it usually takes and it's not too bad.

Any other time I shoot, yeah I wear both.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Electronic ear pro or suppressed rifle deer hunting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I only use eyepro when. Using my percussion muzzle loader. Otherwise, I don't wear any ever. I should though considering the amount of hearing loss I have
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I never have, electronic ear pro or something probably is not a bad idea though.
View Quote

Our group has started using electronic ear muffs and it is actually pretty cool for the stocks..lets you hear things you normally miss because you can turn them up...Gonna have to try and get safety glasses going to I guess..sure is a good idea...
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#28]
For under about $50.00 buy electronic ear pro-THEY AMPLIFY SOUND AROUND YOU and allow you to hear things you would not normally pick up. Why would you not use electronic hearing protection? You get better amplified hearing protection. I have the green howard lights and they work great.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I always wear eye pro and I started wearing ear pro when dove hunting about 10 years ago.  Tinnitus sucks
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#30]
No, but I should.  I seldom even hear the shot when hunting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I never hear the shot.

Auditory exclusion ftw.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I always wear eye pro - used to just be my glasses but now I have extra pairs of prescription safety glasses laying all over the place, I use those. Even started using them when bow hunting cause I don't want to jack up my glasses trudging through the woods.

The only times I don't wear ear pro is when I'm "hunting".  And by "hunting", I mean waiting for deer/ pigs to come to a feeder while I'm in a blind. Otherwise, I'm either bow hunting or stalking so I need to hear.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I never hear the shot.

Auditory exclusion ftw.
View Quote

Tinnitus ftw
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

For under about $50.00 buy electronic ear pro-THEY AMPLIFY SOUND AROUND YOU and allow you to hear things you would not normally pick up. Why would you not use electronic hearing protection? You get better amplified hearing and hearing protection. I have the green howard lights and they work great.
View Quote

I tried that.  Squirrels sound like a moose.  I couldn't stand it.  I turned them way down then got tired of the hassle.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I only use eyepro when. Using my percussion muzzle loader. Otherwise, I don't wear any ever. I should though considering the amount of hearing loss I have
View Quote

Why with the cap lock? You getting fragged by the caps?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#36]
My guns wear hearing protection. I wear sun glasses as long as it isn't too dark.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Our group has started using electronic ear muffs and it is actually pretty cool for the stocks..lets you hear things you normally miss because you can turn them up...Gonna have to try and get safety glasses going to I guess..sure is a good idea...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should try to pick up sun glasses that meet or exceed all the safety glasses specs. I had some wiley x's that were nice. Not sure if they exceed everything, but they met supposedly some mil tests. I would rather have sunglasses that double as shooting glasses than that clear or yellow shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I usually wear eyepro, i would wear some wlectronic ear plugs if i had them
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#39]
NOPE, nothing
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I never have, but I'm hearing more and more from folks that they are and I should be. Do any of you guys wear eye or ear protection while big game hunting, for instance? It seems like hearing protection would be robbing you of one of your key means of game detection.
View Quote

If you keep not wearing them, you won't hear anyone tell you that you should.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#41]
If I want to see anything in the distance I wear my glasses, which also happen to be safety glasses.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I always wear eye protection when hunting, but never any ear protection.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Tinnitus ftw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never hear the shot.

Auditory exclusion ftw.

Tinnitus ftw

Unless you are hunting day in and day out in a dove field in Argentina, the occasional gun shot is not going to give you long term tinnitus.

Range day? Ear pro. Hunting? No.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I went deer hunting for the first time in years last season. I took electronic ear pro. I bought a suppressor for this season. I do not wear ear pro when squirrel hunting (bolt or single shot .22lr with long barrels and sometimes subsonic ammo). I do not wear eye pro when hunting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Eyes. Yes, has kept briars and sticks out of my eyes.  Ears when dove hunting, no EP when deer hunting.  

Trying a set of Walkers Razor EPs this year.  Deer hunting has very little shooting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I do wear electronic ear muffs and if its sunny I will wear sunglasses for eye protection.  I do a lot of hunting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't ever wear that shit unless I'm playing paint ball or grinding something and it's throwing crap near my face. Ear pro only, and that's on any firearm except subsonic .22LR.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I never have.
View Quote

This.
I wear normal prescription glasses though so thats a bit of protection I guess.
Never hearing protection while hunting though. Maybe if I was doing some duck hunting or something with a lot of shooting I would.
Probably should invest in an electronic ear someday.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I tried that.  Squirrels sound like a moose.  I couldn't stand it.  I turned them way down then got tired of the hassle.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For under about $50.00 buy electronic ear pro-THEY AMPLIFY SOUND AROUND YOU and allow you to hear things you would not normally pick up. Why would you not use electronic hearing protection? You get better amplified hearing and hearing protection. I have the green howard lights and they work great.

This is my main concern with them, I dont want to get all amped up every time I hear a squirrel thinking its my dream buck.
Hell that happens enough as it is without hearing the squirrels the next valley over too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Unless you are hunting day in and day out in a dove field in Argentina, the occasional gun shot is not going to give you long term tinnitus.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never hear the shot.

Auditory exclusion ftw.

Tinnitus ftw

poco a poco
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top