Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't hunted since the 90s, but even back then I wore eye protection after taking a tree branch to the eye in the dark while making my way to a blind.

If I hunted today, I'd try some of those fancy electronic ear protection contraptions in addition to my RX safety glasses.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
nope, if its a windy day I will put in plugs (elevated stand hunting)
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
No because I can hunt with a suppressor. Ahh living with freedom.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unless you are hunting day in and day out in a dove field in Argentina, the occasional gun shot is not going to give you long term tinnitus.

Range day? Ear pro. Hunting? No.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never hear the shot.

Auditory exclusion ftw.

Tinnitus ftw

Unless you are hunting day in and day out in a dove field in Argentina, the occasional gun shot is not going to give you long term tinnitus.

WRONG
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]

I don't wear ear-pro. But I've been considering some electronic muffs. I need my sense of hearing to be good in the field.

When I am jump shooting waterfowl, or hunting upland birds, I wear eye-pro.

When I am in a blind, no eye-pro (don't want the birds to see me)

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Tinnitus ftw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never hear the shot.

Auditory exclusion ftw.

Tinnitus ftw

i'v been hunting 20 years now.
had a physical for work a couple months ago, surprisingly, no hearing loss.
I am looking forward to getting a suppressor however.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I wear eyeglasses, so yes on EyePro.  For shotgun hunting, I never wore EarPro.  For rifle hunting (usually with my son) we wear Pelter amplified ears so we could talk and not worry about blowing our ears out.  I have never, ever, heard a rifle shot without EarPro.  Don't ever want to either.  Ditto for handguns, except for two accidental exceptions.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear ear pro when hunting, usually foam plugs, comfortable and I am still usually the first one to hear birds coming in a group of guys with no earpro in.

Eye wear, I'm stuck with glasses full time so they're always on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why with the cap lock? You getting fragged by the caps?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I only use eyepro when. Using my percussion muzzle loader. Otherwise, I don't wear any ever. I should though considering the amount of hearing loss I have

No, but the concern is there. I use musket caps because that's what my .58 uses. The way those things flare make me pause.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No, but the concern is there. I use musket caps because that's what my .58 uses. The way those things flare make me pause.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only use eyepro when. Using my percussion muzzle loader. Otherwise, I don't wear any ever. I should though considering the amount of hearing loss I have

That's one thing that prompted me to start the thread here. I was sighting in my percussion Lyman Great Plains Rifle recently and the cap debris makes me nervous.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes to both
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
No.

Hard to hear drake and pals talking bout my decoys with ear pro on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]
havnt but should
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you heard what a 300 Winchester Magnum sounds like without ear protection?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Not as often as I should but I sometimes wear my sordins or cheap ear plugs especially if I'm shooting from inside a blind or my vehicle. Glasses only when bird hunting or hog hunting during the summer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup at least EP7 plugs and glasses. Sordins or Impacts when I need some amplification.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My guns wear hearing protection. I wear sun glasses as long as it isn't too dark.
View Quote

This right here (or hear).
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That doesn't save your ears from getting hurt by the shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never hear the shot.

Auditory exclusion ftw.

That's not 100% true, the stapedius muscle does a lot to prevent conduction of extremely loud noises, we just don't know enough to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Tinnitus double tap.

Mwwwap.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I never wore either while hunting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I wonder if some people are more susceptible to hearing loss than others.  Sort of like how it works with everything else.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm terrified of losing my hearing...

I'm that guy who wears ear pro when running the lawn mower.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I was hunting on a real windy day and had a medium size tree fall near me. I had a limb from that tree smack my face/eyes. Eye pro can be beneficial for protection against more than firearms. I have also had close calls with several hawks and owls when predator hunting. I imagine if a raptor did claw your face, eye pro would be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never hear the shot.

Auditory exclusion ftw.

I didn't say it did.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#29]
FUDD hats with flaps that cover the ears and yellow tinted glasses.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I wear hearing protection while dove hunting...not while deer hunting.  I only take 1 or 0 shots a year with the rifle.

My bow doesn't make a whole lot of noise.

Eye  protection....never have worn it...although I do wear sunglasses dove hunting if it's sunny.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I have never been hunting. I am going to try to go in the next year or two. When I do get a chance I plan to wear electronic ears and glasses.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No, but I should.  I seldom even hear the shot when hunting.
View Quote

Lol!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Silencer to minimize hearing loss and manual actions to minimize eye risk.  Not perfect but I'm comfortable with the risk.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Have you heard what a 300 Winchester Magnum sounds like without ear protection?
View Quote

The report didn't bother me when I shot my Moose or Caribou.  At the range yes it's loud as hell and I wear double ear pro.  The report doesn't bother me while hunting though, and I'm not concerned about hearing damage from a couple shots per year.

As for eye pro. I wear it when muzzle loader hunting.  Any other time it's only incidental if I need sunglasses.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#36]
This season I have some earphones to amplify sounds.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I always wear birth control glasses when hunting.

Protects my eyes from thorns and branches.

If I didn't have glasses, I think I would wear shooting glasses of some kind.

I've never worn earpro.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I never used to but now I wear some sort of ear pro while goose hunting (multiple 3 1/2  12 gauge shotguns being fired at once numerous times a day in close proximity left me feeling deaf most days ).  I got some electronic ear pro this year so I may take it with me deer hunting... especially if I feel frisky and take out the .338 lapua.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No.

Part of the thrill of the kill is a little tinnitus afterwards.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#40]
My version of ear protection was buying suppressors for almost all my guns, only my 300 Ultra and 338 WM are shot without now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For under about $50.00 buy electronic ear pro-THEY AMPLIFY SOUND AROUND YOU and allow you to hear things you would not normally pick up. Why would you not use electronic hearing protection? You get better amplified hearing protection. I have the green howard lights and they work great.
View Quote

Bought the Peltor Sport Tacs and use the orange cups during deer season. They keep you warm if it's really cold - when you would have to cover up your ears and lose even more hearing or risk injury, And they DO help you hear things better. Since the circuit cuts the amplitude of the noise you hear movement further and are able to be more ready using the stereoscopic locating ability your ears have.

You might only be shooting one or two shots - but if you hit poorly you'd like to hear which direction a deer bounded off to, or even where it fell down and was kicking off in the distance. Something you would not be able to locate on a breezy day with leaves rustling around you in the trees.

If you don't think you need amplified hearing then why are you using a scope? You amplified your sense of sight, didn't you? It would be even better if I could see them by amplifying their infra red spectrum but the MDC already figured that one out and No Go.

Try the amplified muffs sometime and see what you've been missing.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

False. It took ONE SHOT to give me the tinnitus that I've been suffering from for the last 27 years. It's been miserable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

False. It took ONE SHOT to give me the tinnitus that I've been suffering from for the last 27 years. It's been miserable.

What where the conditions of that shot?

From my understanding, an unfortunate case like yours is very rare (that is, a one time exposure to a loud noise leading to permanent tinnitus).
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I do.  

I wear my prescrip sunglasses (eyes) and electronic hearing pro (enhance hearing)
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I always wore eye protection.
View Quote

I haven't always, but I do now.

As for hearing protection, I'd LOVE to have a good set of go-pro (or whatever), but I've just got too many other things to worry about now, it seems a frivolous expense. Or, at least, it'd be perceived by "others in the household" as such! LOL
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm terrified of losing my hearing...

I'm that guy who wears ear pro when running the lawn mower.
View Quote

I do this as well with a set of earbuds running up under them for music.

Electronic muffs for hunting.  Eye protection depends on the animal I'm hunting, people around me, light conditions, etc.  Usually, I have on eye protection though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Not me, mostly.

Amazing that you can touch off a .30-06 in a deer blind and have perfect hearing right afterwards - no ringing at all.

When I bird hunt I like to hear what my buddies are saying and hear where the dog is. I do wear eye pro when bird hunting. I feel it helps with the contrast, plus in case there are any incoming pellets.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I never have while deer hunting, but we can only hunt with shotguns here, and I can tolerate the subsonic boom pretty easily. If I were hunting with a rifle I'd definitely wear earpro.  The last few years I've been wearing eyepro to walk in because twigs slap my face, but I take them off when I get to my spot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You're NOT wearing electronic hearing protection?  Protects the ears and allows you to hear MUCH better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never have, but I'm hearing more and more from folks that they are and I should be. Do any of you guys wear eye or ear protection while big game hunting, for instance? It seems like hearing protection would be robbing you of one of your key means of game detection.

You're NOT wearing electronic hearing protection?  Protects the ears and allows you to hear MUCH better.

I only wear muffs for prairie dog hunting and such. Might get a pair of emuffs though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Well I have peltors on my helmet that I wear for my nods so yes to the earpro. Never on eyepro though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#50]

New Hampshire, along with most other states, allows silencers for hunting. NH just passed this a couple of months ago.  I'm either doing subsonic .308 or 300BLK this year for deer through a SilencerCo Harvester.
Page / 3
Top Top