BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:10:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are jip japin and yip yain with this guy in this thread.

If his position is not your's you had plenty of time to disavow.

Want to do it now????

Pony Up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain how SEAL team are the equivalent of Edward Snowden.

That is the position you have taken.

Go ahead and post a quote where I said anything remotely similar to the word Snowden.  Ill be here patiently waiting.

Your mind seems to be a pretty big mess, take a minute to figure it out.

Quoted:

The last elk you shot can tell how far out of your lane you are.

Then again, maybe you know more than we do. Youve known some seals, and they have put more classified laptops and hard drives into enemy hands than Snowden did. So tell us what you know.

Though in their defense, it was incompetence and not malice.

Want to do it now????

Pony Up.

I clearly pointed out that the teams are far superior to Mr Snowden, who is also a hero here ar15.com. They also gave china, pakistan, and russia, a helicopter loaded with our latest equipment. And gave Al Shabab a wrist GPS that showed the route they took from their naval insertion point. And thats just the stuff that made news.

My insinuation was that their attention to opsec closely mirrors their attention to pre-mission planning, and thus they might have given their idol FuddHathcock some sort of secret information that shows how amazing they are at all the things.

Because every one of their books is either about a monumental fuck up turned heroic "everyone is dead and everything is classified so no-one can refute it plus medals" or about how tough BUDS was, which is more or less a high speed literary version of a basic training story.

So please, MrBurns. Tell me all about the cool shit. Have you met all ten guys who shot bin laden?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:15:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd like to thank those of you with tanks giving us all more insight into this.  I really enjoy reading your opinions/information on the matter, it's cool to be able to get an insiders opinion.  I won't judge anyone here, I know too little and they have sacrificed more than me.  RIP
View Quote
You had forgotten to thank Johnny the POL boy, because he was in the thick of it too, all from the comfort of his armchair.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I clearly pointed out that the teams are far superior to Mr Snowden, who is also a hero here ar15.com. They also gave china, pakistan, and russia, a helicopter loaded with our latest equipment. And gave Al Shabab a wrist GPS that showed the route they took from their naval insertion point. And thats just the stuff that made news.

My insinuation was that their attention to opsec closely mirrors their attention to pre-mission planning, and thus they might have given their idol FuddHathcock some sort of secret information that shows how amazing they are at all the things.

Because every one of their books is either about a monumental fuck up turned heroic "everyone is dead and everything is classified so no-one can refute it plus medals" or about how tough BUDS was, which is more or less a high speed literary version of a basic training story.

So please, MrBurns. Tell me all about the cool shit. Have you met all ten guys who shot bin laden?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain how SEAL team are the equivalent of Edward Snowden.

That is the position you have taken.

Go ahead and post a quote where I said anything remotely similar to the word Snowden.  Ill be here patiently waiting.

Your mind seems to be a pretty big mess, take a minute to figure it out.

Quoted:

The last elk you shot can tell how far out of your lane you are.

Then again, maybe you know more than we do. Youve known some seals, and they have put more classified laptops and hard drives into enemy hands than Snowden did. So tell us what you know.

Though in their defense, it was incompetence and not malice.

Want to do it now????

Pony Up.

All that SEAL Hate is gonna burn you up kid.

SEAL HATE
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:39:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yea 40 hours on duty making sure the Sr-71's had JP-7 when Regan was dealing with Iranian Silkworms was nothing.

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blaming the Squids for crashing a bird is goofy at a high level.

Blaming them for setting up their demo in the wrong location and allowing sensitive components to be left behind in a foreign country is goofy?

Oh wait...its a home run.

Quoted:

Air Force POL for the win.

POL?  No wonder you consider operators to be your peers.  Low GT scores can do that to you.

Yea 40 hours on duty making sure the Sr-71's had JP-7 when Regan was dealing with Iranian Silkworms was nothing.

Thanks.

Thanks for your service.  Especially the 40 hours straight part.  Fucking savage.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:53:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I severed 4 years in the Air Force.
View Quote

What kind of severance did you do for the Air Force?

ATW!
-Fox
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:12:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If they have proof he was still alive, why don't they bring "chief" up on charges?
View Quote

Because it's not "proof", and even if it were, what the Chief did was not illegal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As much as I hate to break up the Seal bashing...

No discussion the the possibility that the AF higher Generals are on a mission to get the AF their first MOH winner of the GWOT?

Sounds just as plausible to me. From the article, it sounds like the analysis from the overhead systems is limited and suspect at best.

All the politics aside, that airman was a badass and sacrificed his life for his country. He and all those who valiantly fought on Roberts Ridge deserve a great deal of respect.

I see no reason to keep beating the dead horse about how seals are fish out of water, and generally horrible planners. It's a cultural thing that is as big as the Navy and the Army themselves. If you've ever worked as a joint planner, or in a joint organization, eventually you come to realize that most in the Navy and Air Force don't know how mission planning works. Land warfare is different, and requires detailed planning at the lowest echelons because every man is a maneuver unit. Compare that to pilots who have most planning done for them, or the fleet that has very few maneuvering pieces. Therefor the leaders in the Marines/Army are taught planning from the start, have more experience with it, and are just better at it.
View Quote

Maybe at the operational level, but flight planning is always done by the aircrew, and principally by the pilots/AC. At least it always has been in my Air Force experience.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:41:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All that SEAL Hate is gonna burn you up kid.

SEAL HATE
View Quote

Good answer.  respond to nothing CWSG has spelled out and instead post a stupid video.

Here's the bottom line...

SEALs generally suck at mission planning, mission coordination, and frequently at mission execution.  They are an insular group that doesn't play well with others and is quick to close ranks to cover up fuck ups (Michael Murphy MOH) and embrellish them to lool like successes (Marcus Luttrel). They lack basic infantry skills since they are largely self taught and don't regularly do interservice schools (eg Ranger) and the majority of their training exercises are set piece rather than true force on force.  IOW they are a self aggrandizing group that fails to live up to their over inflated reputation.

But then again, what do I know.... I was only the CoS of a JSOTF.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Extortion 17 was SEAL QRF for a Ranger assault that needed help closing escape routes and had no say in the planning of the OP.

They flew to the X as requested and were all killed. 30 KIA total with 17 being SEALs.

Razor 01 was a Ranger QRF that came to the aid of a SEAL team, flew to the X and got shot down with 3 rangers lost.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah okay, The point you were trying to make is flawed. The extortion 17 incident was nothing like the many instances where the Regiment has had to unfuck NSWs messes.

Rangers didn't request shit, Higher made the call to insert these dudes because the HVTs identity hadn't been IDd and there was a number of MAMS fleeing the objective area that the 'QRF', if I would even call it that, were sent to intercept.

From the outside looking in the incidents are pretty similar.

Just my opinion.

I see little similarity beyond the most basic point that Americans were killed in Afghanistan.

Extortion 17 was SEAL QRF for a Ranger assault that needed help closing escape routes and had no say in the planning of the OP.

They flew to the X as requested and were all killed. 30 KIA total with 17 being SEALs.

Razor 01 was a Ranger QRF that came to the aid of a SEAL team, flew to the X and got shot down with 3 rangers lost.

38 and a MWD. 30 and the MWD were American.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys?

Back it up a second.

I'll say that SEAL's have a tendency to go off half-cocked more often than some other units, but I've been noticing a serious problem with operational planning that starts a lot higher up than the guys on the ground. It's not like a team leader decides what mission he's going on; I heard stories about the exact same kinda shit from Recon Marines when we invaded Iraq.

And everyone knows that old saying about how shit always starts up top before running downhill, picking up speed as it goes.

Shouldn't we be looking a lot harder at the guys who plan out these operations before fussing about the guys on the ground? A SEAL is no different than a tank; he excels in his area of expertise, but if you put him in a situation where he is at a disadvantage, he'll get screwed. IE, you wouldn't run tanks through a city with narrow streets and lots of intact buildings without infantry to support them.

ETA: I'm just a schmuck, but I'm blue collar and I can tell you that 90% of my problems come from above my head, mostly those shithead fuckwits who start out making more money than guys who've been busting their asses for 30 years. Y'know, the jackasses who think they know everything and can do no wrong, but blame everyone else when they fuck up?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:10:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Would 8 weeks at Benning or the Marines equivalent be beneficial?  My friend was Force Recon.   And I know he did Arborne and Ranger School at Army facilities.
From what I've read here sounds like the SEALs handle much of their training in house.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like a very bad situation to find yourself in. I find it hard to believe SEALs don't go through infantry training. I would think that would be going on now considering the wars we have been fighting.
Would 8 weeks at Benning or the Marines equivalent be beneficial?  My friend was Force Recon.   And I know he did Arborne and Ranger School at Army facilities.
From what I've read here sounds like the SEALs handle much of their training in house.

8 weeks?   No but it would be better than none.

OSUT (16 weeks for me) gets you Blue but living it makes you a grunt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:12:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, everyone is a hero.  You, your fellow tier one operators, everybody.

The guy that sells me burritos in the morning to make sure im all fueled up to go do great things for the military is a real hero as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

No, everyone is a hero.  You, your fellow tier one operators, everybody.

The guy that sells me burritos in the morning to make sure im all fueled up to go do great things for the military is a real hero as well.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for your service.  Especially the 40 hours straight part.  Fucking savage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blaming the Squids for crashing a bird is goofy at a high level.

Blaming them for setting up their demo in the wrong location and allowing sensitive components to be left behind in a foreign country is goofy?

Oh wait...its a home run.

Quoted:

POL?  No wonder you consider operators to be your peers.  Low GT scores can do that to you.

Thanks.

40 hours straight?  Those Air Force cats sure do have it rough.  I can sleep better at night now knowing hard dicks like John stand ready to pump gas so I don't have to.

I am curious, though, where in the Air Force POL training doctrine one can find a POI on helo insertions, patrolling in general, conducting recon, proper use of an LP/OP, or literally any of the other things John seems to know so much about.  Or did he just pick up all that knowledge through osmosis in his throat?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

The amount of danger faced by the SR-71 air crews was probably the same, meaning their job always had substantial risk, no matter what was happening on the world stage.

Was your job any different when "Regan" was dealing with Iranian missiles than it was during stateside training missions?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't think you're even in your own wheelhouse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I really that far in your Wheelhouse?

I don't think you're even in your own wheelhouse.

You forgot the smilies.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You can't halo in a helicopter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Navy SEAL's halo in, halo out...

You know, give me a couple dozen Lance Corporal and a 100 million a year for ops and gear and I could assemble the most daring daring unit to walk the earth.

Said LCpl's will not at any time have a good conduct medel.

how do you HALO out?  can you describe that?

I can't recall the original version on ARFCOM.

There are training exercises in which SEALs HALO into a mission site, execute the mission, exfil in a helicopter, and do a HALO jump, rather than land back at the airfield in the helo.

"HALO in, HALO out."  It's just done in training for the purpose of getting in more jumps.

You can't halo in a helicopter

You can't go as high as in, say a 17, but yes, it is possible to do a HALO jump from a helo.  The freefall is shorter, and I can't recall seeing them use oxygen.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Some  really bad, unifomed speculation earlier in the thread. One comment was that a TACP would not shoot full auto, or that the TACPs weapon was surpressed and therefore would not have much of a signature, or that the SEAL (Slab) made some huge, unforgivable error, based on service (TACP vs SEAL) rather than the unique circumstances of the situation.

Colonel Davidson said the Air Force could see Sergeant Chapman “moving in and around the bunker” where he and Chief Slabinski had killed the two enemy fighters, the chief said.

But because the bunker was under a tree that largely obscured it, this was not clear to Chief Slabinski watching the video.

“You’ve got these little flashes,” he said. “Here’s a sliver of the pixel here, and then it kind of goes away, and there’s another sliver of it, and here’s some muzzle flash stuff.”

Chief Slabinski said Sergeant Chapman’s assault rifle had been equipped with a suppressor to mask its muzzle flash, but the video showed the man in the bunker firing a weapon with an unsuppressed muzzle flash.

The chief also questioned why the man shooting in the video appeared to fire on full automatic, rather than with the single aimed shots that the sergeant would have been trained to use.
View Quote

The TACP could have been using an AK if is own weapon was out of ammo, out of reach, or broken. The TACP could have taken off his surpresor simply to fit into the "bunker" The TACP could have simply made a mistake after being shot and turned his weapon full auto.

This battle was the first real, sustained combat for many of these people, It was 2002, not 2016 and we did not have 14 years of war experience, SOPs, AAR,s and war stories to guide our thinking.

As far as the SEALs lacking infantry training, they also lack UW training, ranger school or any other school is not going to help with this, they dont want to train for such things and do not retain personel the way SF and MARSOC does. Most SEALs are in for one deployment, maybee two and then out of the navy. SEAL officers quickly move off of the platoons to give the next officer a chance. They also farm out a lot of planning to support guys.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LOL Fing L.

The Green team (the training group, like guys going through OTC for CAG) was never seriously considered for what was the most important Special Operations Op of Obummer's Presidency.

Fuck me there is not even a Blue Squadron.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The joke going around was Blue was chosen over Green because the latter might have caught UBL alive.

LOL Fing L.

The Green team (the training group, like guys going through OTC for CAG) was never seriously considered for what was the most important Special Operations Op of Obummer's Presidency.

I have a feeling that one of these days, you will learn a few things that will cause you to look back at this thread with great embarrassment.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The amount of danger faced by the SR-71 air crews was probably the same, meaning their job always had substantial risk, no matter what was happening on the world stage.

Was your job any different when "Regan" was dealing with Iranian missiles than it was during stateside training missions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I spent all my time while on active duty OCONUS.

Very little danger when handling JP-7 due to the high flash point.

The most dangerous stuff I did was hot pit refueling (fueling a running jet while it is also being rearmed)  and mobility stuff with bladders.

For me the Iranian situation was the only real world event of which I had a small part. I am proud of how we did in that situation.

What is interesting is how some in GD view others in the military. If you didn't see any combat your nothing and SEALs who saw a bunch of combat also deserve zero respect.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm sure he was being facetious, but it is technically possible.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--1HySaGMD--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18s13zkbko7ptjpg.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, give me a couple dozen Lance Corporal and a 100 million a year for ops and gear and I could assemble the most daring daring unit to walk the earth.

How do you HALO out?
I'm sure he was being facetious, but it is technically possible.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--1HySaGMD--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18s13zkbko7ptjpg.jpg

that's called halo? educate me please.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have a feeling that one of these days, you will learn a few things that will cause you to look back at this thread with great embarrassment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The joke going around was Blue was chosen over Green because the latter might have caught UBL alive.

LOL Fing L.

Missing a Navy vs Army joke is not exactly the worst thing that ever happened to me.

The joke does show the service rivalry and the hard feeling about who was chosen for the highest profile raid in history. It's even more interesting in light of the Capt Phillips operation that was the highest profile hostage rescue mission.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There are training exercises in which SEALs HALO into a mission site, execute the mission, exfil in a helicopter, and do a HALO jump, rather than land back at the airfield in the helo.

"HALO in, HALO out."  It's just done in training for the purpose of getting in more jumps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2DeH-E6ab0

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The most dangerous stuff I did was hot pit refueling (fueling a running jet while it is also being rearmed)  and mobility stuff with bladders.

For me the Iranian situation was the only real world event of which I had a small part. I am proud of how we did in that situation.

What is interesting is how some in GD view others in the military. If you didn't see any combat your nothing and SEALs who saw a bunch of combat also deserve zero respect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Sounds to me like what you did in a "real world event" was no different than a training mission.

Most people in the military realize that it is a team effort, and nearly all parts of the effort are necessary.  (I don't see bands as being useful.  That goes double for the ones that play popular type music as "recruiting tools") There are definitely people--especially young ones-- in combat units who wrongly look down on support personnel.  The irony is that I've found SEALs to be among the worst at it.

No one in this thread has "zero respect" for SEALs.  No one has accused them of being "treasonous" or compared them to Snowden.

Like I said, I expect you will look at your posts in this thread with embarrassment.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Like I said, I expect you will look at your posts in this thread with embarrassment.
View Quote

that would require reflection. I expect not only will he never be embarrassed, he'll never even understand what you're saying
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Missing a Navy vs Army joke is not exactly the worst thing that ever happened to me.

The joke does show the service rivalry and the hard feeling about who was chosen for the highest profile raid in history. It's even more interesting in light of the Capt Phillips operation that was the highest profile hostage rescue mission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL Fing L.

And many of your posts show your utter lack of knowledge about the military.  But hey, you've hung out with some cool guys.  I guess you figure some of that coolness has rubbed off on you, kind of like putting a text book under your pillow the night before an exam.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

that would require reflection. I expect not only will he never be embarrassed, he'll never even understand what you're saying
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably right.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The free for all SEAL bash was in full swing when I weighed in.

Pretending otherwise does not change the facts.

Guys like you should just give me a click.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have found that not bashing US Service Men is good for business.

I realize that some in GD figure the SEALs are as treasonous as Snowden but my experience and the facts are different.

Sorry if you feel different.

You do yourself no favors, but you are clearly aware and are not bothered by it.

have you ever been on a two-way range? I know I haven't been on one. for some strange reason I don't think I'm qualified to tell professionals who have btdt what happens on a two-way range! believe it or not there is a plethora of real war fights who have hunted two legged animals on this site. you should stick to hunting four legged animals because you have no clue what real war fighters are capable of accomplishing.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Follow up question, do SEAL dicks taste like hair gel?

TL/DR: SF shouldn't be sniping pirates from a moving ship. SEALS shouldn't be on mountains in landlocked countries. And JohnBurns thinks that frequent balls on his nose make him a SEAL expert.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No one in this thread has "zero respect" for SEALs.  No one has accused them of being "treasonous" or compared them to Snowden.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did you read the thread or just my posts?

Quoted:
Youve known some seals, and they have put more classified laptops and hard drives into enemy hands than Snowden did.

Quoted:
I clearly pointed out that the teams are far superior to Mr Snowden, who is also a hero here ar15.com. They also gave china, pakistan, and russia, a helicopter loaded with our latest equipment.

Maybe I should practice my reading comprehension.

What "team" ,Green or Blue, do you think was flying those SneakyHawks.

To blame the loss of that helicopter on the SEAL team is a perfect example of the bias some have here in GD.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're probably right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably right.

Most likely.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#33]
The situational awareness is still at potato for a certain nobody.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

ARFCOM take note - When the SHTF and it is TEOTWAWKI, if I'm dead, don't get yourselves shot up trying to gather my dust.  Save yourselves (and any useful materials that were once mine) to fight another day.
View Quote

I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
have you ever been on a two-way range? I know I haven't been on one. for some strange reason I don't think I'm qualified to tell professionals who have btdt what happens on a two-way range! believe it or not there is a plethora of real war fights who have hunted two legged animals on this site. you should stick to hunting four legged animals because you have no clue what real war fighters are capable of accomplishing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I realize that some in GD figure the SEALs are as treasonous as Snowden but my experience and the facts are different.

You do yourself no favors, but you are clearly aware and are not bothered by it.

Feel free to quote examples where I told anyone "what happens on a two-way range".

While your at it could you quote me where I was in any duragatory to any "real war fighter".

It is funny how not joining in on a good ol GD SEAL bashfest feels like an attack to those who are grinding on their bias.

Feels are powerful things.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The life expectancy of a thread like this on a forum like Lightfighter?

Milliseconds.  
View Quote

That's why ARFcom is better than all the rest
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Feel free to quote examples where I told anyone "what happens on a two-way range".

While your at it could you quote me where I was in any duragatory to any "real war fighter".

It is funny how not joining in on a good ol GD SEAL bashfest feels like an attack to those who are grinding on their bias.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2DeH-E6ab0

Holy fuck... that's exactly what I was thinking!

(BTW - I don't believe there is another pop song that mentions more guns by name than that one.)

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Well then, I retract my statement that Cory was more of a man than you.

Now, if we ever have a discussion about whichever types of Petroleum, Oil or Lubricants are best for a particular type of military aircraft, I'm sure you can offer plenty of insightful information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I didn't make it that far, I definitely made it a hell of a lot closer to that point than you ever have or ever will. Hell, Cory "Range Time" Jackson made it closer to being a member of Delta Force than you ever have, simply by virtue of the fact that he showed up to 30th AG BN for a couple weeks.

How does that sit with you, knowing that a lying sack of shit was more of a man than you and actually put his name on the dotted line?

I severed 4 years in the Air Force.

Well then, I retract my statement that Cory was more of a man than you.

Now, if we ever have a discussion about whichever types of Petroleum, Oil or Lubricants are best for a particular type of military aircraft, I'm sure you can offer plenty of insightful information.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Youve known some seals, and they have put more classified laptops and hard drives into enemy hands than Snowden did.  

I didn't recall that post.  While he did compare them to Snowden, he didn't call them treasonous.
Quoted:
I clearly pointed out that the teams are far superior to Mr Snowden, who is also a hero here ar15.com. They also gave china, pakistan, and russia, a helicopter loaded with our latest equipment.

Quoted:

To blame the loss of that helicopter on the SEAL team is a perfect example of the bias some have here in GD.

I think that was a reference to a less than complete demolition job, rather than the crash, and I think someone else pointed that out earlier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I can well remember the .mil during the Clinton years; specifically the submarine world. I was actually deployed when the USSR collapsed, went from doing cool submarine type stuff vs. our archenemy to pretty much nothing overnight. So WTF do we do with all of these submarines now that there is no longer much of a submarine threat from what now is Russia; we friggin multi-task that's what.

During a period in which dollars were scarce all branches and communities were competing for funding and relevance. The submarine world and SpecOps world became reacquainted and the SSGN was an outcrop of that relationship. If your community loses relevance you lose, popularity for want of a better word, and all that goes along with that. So what happens if we go at it with a land locked country or one without much of a Navy? You lose your relevance, headlines, popularity unless you get engaged. Some communities don't seek notoriety that's just how they function, some not so much.

Remember all of this inter service BS is built in and perpetuated by those way up the COC and is usually about funding; those much further down are usually the ones who pay the price for the lack of real cooperation. This event occurred in 2002, I can almost understand it that early into the conflict but the same types of events continued much past when those lessons should have been well learned and become SOP.

This is a systemic problem, as dollars continue to be in short supply it's going to get worse. New blood, new thinking? I don't know but I'm pretty certain we will be ill prepared for what comes next.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I actually did pass that test.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When did you pass OTC????

Awesome coming from somebody who never even passed the butthole inspection at MEPS.

I actually did pass that test.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why you no like skyhook ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Yo John,

Have you ever been involved in planning a military operation? 5 paragraph Op Order for a flag football game? Anything at all?

Most of the guys here with tanks have. And that's where our criticism comes from. The mission was fucked up in it's planning (specifically the decision to land a helo right on the objective), which caused the execution to get fucked up. And why was the decision made? Because Seals are great at missions like that. They have experience doing missions like that and their staff has experience planning missions like that. So they didn't see the problem with landing a helo on the mountaintop because that's how it's done in ops like the OBL raid. Put a Ranger or SF officer in that briefing room and they would have raised holy hell over it.

Here's how it works for the Army. Infantry company gets tasked to set up an OP on a mountain. The company does the planning. At the very least, the platoon leader and platoon sergeants for the platoon doing the mission are involved at looking at the map and planning it.

SF company get tasked for same mission. The entire team works out the CONOP and sends it to higher.

In both of those examples, about 87% of the planning is done at the ground level. At the very least, it's done by experienced officers and NCOs that know what they're doing.

Seals do not plan that way. They walk into a briefing room or tent and get handed a 87% complete plan and told to run with it. Why? Because that's not how they were trained. Because planning operations isn't fun or sexy and the teams have no interest in it. I've seen this first hand with seals, downrange and in training. Seals were sent to work a joint op with a SF company (I am NOT SF, and not claiming to be, I was a intel support guy assigned to a SF company downrange where I was present for a lot of planning). The SF team involved and the B team (that's the company staff, all SF guys also) brought them in to plan and the Seal team lead told them 'We don't waste our time with that shit, come find me when it's time to do mission brief', then walked out.

I saw the same thing in training. Seals were at Ft Polk for JRTC. Seal teams get briefed on their mission (get dropped off here, walk here, hit the safe house, then call for pickup). A Navy intel guy in a tent told them where they are getting dropped off and what route to take while coming in on foot. That team ended up walking through waist deep swamp and bitched nonstop during debrief. Sure the intel guy fucked that up, but why didn't the team lead catch that? 'Umm sir, that's a lot of swamp on that route. Why don't we go this way?'
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think that was a reference to a less than complete demolition job, rather than the crash, and I think someone else pointed that out earlier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please read the following as a tongue in cheek question.

Green crashes a SneakyHawk on the compound wall and Blue sucks because they didn't blow it up good enough?

That's an interesting train of thought.

For those whos bias makes them unable to get a bit of sarcasm I am not in any bashing on the Night Stalkers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yo John,

Have you ever been involved in planning a military operation? 5 paragraph Op Order for a flag football game? Anything at all?

Most of the guys here with tanks have. And that's where our criticism comes from. The mission was fucked up in it's planning (specifically the decision to land a helo right on the objective), which caused the execution to get fucked up. And why was the decision made? Because Seals are great at missions like that. They have experience doing missions like that and their staff has experience planning missions like that. So they didn't see the problem with landing a helo on the mountaintop because that's how it's done in ops like the OBL raid. Put a Ranger or SF officer in that briefing room and they would have raised holy hell over it.

Here's how it works for the Army. Infantry company gets tasked to set up an OP on a mountain. The company does the planning. At the very least, the platoon leader and platoon sergeants for the platoon doing the mission are involved at looking at the map and planning it.

SF company get tasked for same mission. The entire team works out the CONOP and sends it to higher.

In both of those examples, about 87% of the planning is done at the ground level. At the very least, it's done by experienced officers and NCOs that know what they're doing.

Seals do not plan that way. They walk into a briefing room or tent and get handed a 87% complete plan and told to run with it. Why? Because that's not how they were trained. Because planning operations isn't fun or sexy and the teams have no interest in it. I've seen this first hand with seals, downrange and in training. Seals were sent to work a joint op with a SF company (I am NOT SF, and not claiming to be, I was a intel support guy assigned to a SF company downrange where I was present for a lot of planning). The SF team involved and the B team (that's the company staff, all SF guys also) brought them in to plan and the Seal team lead told them 'We don't waste our time with that shit, come find me when it's time to do mission brief', then walked out.

I saw the same thing in training. Seals were at Ft Polk for JRTC. Seal teams get briefed on their mission (get dropped off here, walk here, hit the safe house, then call for pickup). A Navy intel guy in a tent told them where they are getting dropped off and what route to take while coming in on foot. That team ended up walking through waist deep swamp and bitched nonstop during debrief. Sure the intel guy fucked that up, but why didn't the team lead catch that? 'Umm sir, that's a lot of swamp on that route. Why don't we go this way?'
View Quote

Yo Slick,

I don't have any info other than the open source stuff we have all seen but according to most all the open source stuff the SEAL team had no choice to to fly to the X. They requested additional time to fly to the Y and then move on the ground to the X but that request was denied.

I get your point that the culture in the SEAL community is quite different and many would view it as less professional.

The SEALs whom I have discussed this with feel that their culture breeds more creativity and gets better results.

I am not taking sides per say just pointing out that open source information about real world mission don't really support the GD SEAL bash.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The life expectancy of a thread like this on a forum like Lightfighter?

Milliseconds.  

GD would be so much more fun if the Staff would shut these threads down.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The blame for this clusterf**k goes to higher ups
not the men on the ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not going to judge the team's actions during the firefight, but what a fucking shit show that led them to be put in that position.

The blame for this clusterf**k goes to higher ups
not the men on the ground.

Not how these things work...
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top