Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
What I want to know is why did Trebon order DEV up to Gardez and order them to insert that night, then order Pete Blaber to turn his AFO operation over to DEV.

What. The. Fuck.

Up to that point, aside from the ODA fratricide and the main assault element being pinned down in the valley proper, there had been no coalition losses. Hell even Chief Slabinski knew inserting on Takur Ghar proper was suicide.

I just can't help but to think how all of this could have been avoided if those DEV teams were allotted time to study the battlespace days prior to insertion like Pete's AFO guys had done. This would've prevented them from inserting onto Takur Ghar, would've saved both Robert's and Chapman's lives, AND the lives of Nate Self's Ranger QRF.

Blaber and AFO should've been left alone to finish prosecuting Op Anaconda.

If I'm wrong, someone help me understand.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The life expectancy of a thread like this on a forum like Lightfighter?

Milliseconds.  
View Quote

Lightfighter is its own goat rope. Bunch of one termers that think they are still in the fight because they are now a municipal cop in the burbs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
OST
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
We're still doing this?

His ass is still showing?

Please commence.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Right in the op. Crawled atop him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So guy thinks airman is dead and him and his team leave yet the airman was still supposedly alive and well enough to continue fighting?

So why didn't the airman say "where the fudge are you going?" Did he think they knew he was alive and were still fighting by his side?

Rip

It reads like the Senior Chief thought he was dead, said his IR on gun which was on top of him wasn't moving with his breathing. He then crawled atop him and tried to wake him and got no response.
From what I read, the Chief said he wasn't close enough to check for a pulse. So I don't think he was close enough to try and wake him.

Exactly, only idiots believe this guy. He probably didn't realize he was missing until he'd already fled the mountain.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Green crashes a SneakyHawk on the compound wall and Blue sucks because they didn't blow it up good enough?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Green crashes a SneakyHawk on the compound wall and Blue sucks because they didn't blow it up good enough?

Oh look, you've finally STFU and started listening and now have one sentence that is somewhat correct.

Quoted:
That's an interesting train of thought.

It wouldn't be so hard for you to comprehend if you had any functional understanding of anything being discussed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So guy thinks airman is dead and him and his team leave yet the airman was still supposedly alive and well enough to continue fighting?

So why didn't the airman say "where the fudge are you going?" Did he think they knew he was alive and were still fighting by his side?

Rip

It reads like the Senior Chief thought he was dead, said his IR on gun which was on top of him wasn't moving with his breathing. He then crawled atop him and tried to wake him and got no response.
From what I read, the Chief said he wasn't close enough to check for a pulse. So I don't think he was close enough to try and wake him.

I read and understand that. So are we supposed to assume the airman had gone unconscious for a short period of time, long enough to not see that his team had left him? I'm just not seeing how a guy who ended up not being dead was not able to move or say something to let them know he was alive. Understandably there are bullets flying, explosions and people yelling constantly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]

8 weeks?   No but it would be better than none.

OSUT (16 weeks for me) gets you Blue but living it makes you a grunt.
View Quote

Truer words have never been spoken...

DFM

Co. B 1/38 INF Sand Hill OSUT
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Please read the following as a tongue in cheek question.

For those whos bias makes them unable to get a bit of sarcasm I am not in any bashing on the Night Stalkers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I clearly pointed out that the teams are far superior to Mr Snowden, who is also a hero here ar15.com. They also gave china, pakistan, and russia, a helicopter loaded with our latest equipment.

Quoted:
Maybe I should practice my reading comprehension.

What "team" ,Green or Blue, do you think was flying those SneakyHawks.

To blame the loss of that helicopter on the SEAL team is a perfect example of the bias some have here in GD.

I think that was a reference to a less than complete demolition job, rather than the crash, and I think someone else pointed that out earlier.

Please read the following as a tongue in cheek question.

For those whos bias makes them unable to get a bit of sarcasm I am not in any bashing on the Night Stalkers.

i never blamed the SEALs for the crash.  However, their demo work was incomplete, which was said earlier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did you read the thread or just my posts?

To blame the loss of that helicopter on the SEAL team is a perfect example of the bias some have here in GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No one in this thread has "zero respect" for SEALs.  No one has accused them of being "treasonous" or compared them to Snowden.

Quoted:
Youve known some seals, and they have put more classified laptops and hard drives into enemy hands than Snowden did.

Quoted:
I clearly pointed out that the teams are far superior to Mr Snowden, who is also a hero here ar15.com. They also gave china, pakistan, and russia, a helicopter loaded with our latest equipment.

Lol, having been in a chopper with a team commander who skipped all mission briefs and reversals, and instead had someone send him the slides I will tell you what happens.

Team commander decides that he doesn't like the pre planned LZ upon approach - the one recced by the army using several disciplines and INTS, and then selected by 82nd officers with ten to twenty five years of light infantry under their belts - and the commander starts screaming/tantruming about shifting the LZ slightly due to reasons he can only see from his seat behind the pilots.

Upon approach.

So the chopper pilots, presuming some level of competence from the navy's top men, rapidly shift LZ as directed by the GFC causing a brown out that clouds the second bird which crashes.

Fortunately nobody died.

Seals went home safe while everyone else provided fixed security IVO an enemy camp were were supposed to hit, and the seals were only seen at the gym or chowhall until their next mission a few weeks later.

Oh, and this was a pre planned mission that the team hijacked so they could say they were doing something.

Muj commander went on to kill two more airborne troops and wounded about six before we could pin him down again and kill him. Rangers made that happen thankfully.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lightfighter is its own goat rope. Bunch of one termers that think they are still in the fight because they are now a municipal cop in the burbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Milliseconds.  

That's not far from the truth.  However, only a minority there are now cops.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol, having been in a chopper with a team commander who skipped all mission briefs and reversals, and instead had someone send him the slides I will tell you what happens.

Team commander decides that he doesn't like the pre planned LZ upon approach - the one recced by the army using several disciplines and INTS, and then selected by 82nd officers with ten to twenty five years of light infantry under their belts - and the commander starts screaming/tantruming about shifting the LZ slightly due to reasons he can only see from his seat behind the pilots.

Upon approach.

So the chopper pilots, presuming some level of competence from the navy's top men, rapidly shift LZ as directed by the GFC causing a brown out that clouds the second bird which crashes.

Fortunately nobody died.

Seals went home safe while everyone else provided fixed security IVO an enemy camp were were supposed to hit, and the seals were only seen at the gym or chowhall until their next mission a few weeks later.

Oh, and this was a pre planned mission that the team hijacked so they could say they were doing something.

Muj commander went on to kill two more airborne troops and wounded about six before we could pin him down again and kill him. Rangers made that happen thankfully.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No one in this thread has "zero respect" for SEALs.  No one has accused them of being "treasonous" or compared them to Snowden.

Quoted:
Youve known some seals, and they have put more classified laptops and hard drives into enemy hands than Snowden did.

Quoted:

Upon approach.

Fortunately nobody died.

Was he holding a pistol to the pilot's head like in Lone Survivor?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But I'm not wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Milliseconds.  

But I'm not wrong.

You are not wrong, however...
Suppression of discussion turns it into a sounding chamber for certain types.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yo Slick,

I don't have any info other than the open source stuff we have all seen but according to most all the open source stuff the SEAL team had no choice to to fly to the X. They requested additional time to fly to the Y and then move on the ground to the X but that request was denied.

I get your point that the culture in the SEAL community is quite different and many would view it as less professional.

The SEALs whom I have discussed this with feel that their culture breeds more creativity and gets better results.

I am not taking sides per say just pointing out that open source information about real world mission don't really support the GD SEAL bash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yo John,

Have you ever been involved in planning a military operation? 5 paragraph Op Order for a flag football game? Anything at all?

Most of the guys here with tanks have. And that's where our criticism comes from. The mission was fucked up in it's planning (specifically the decision to land a helo right on the objective), which caused the execution to get fucked up. And why was the decision made? Because Seals are great at missions like that. They have experience doing missions like that and their staff has experience planning missions like that. So they didn't see the problem with landing a helo on the mountaintop because that's how it's done in ops like the OBL raid. Put a Ranger or SF officer in that briefing room and they would have raised holy hell over it.

Here's how it works for the Army. Infantry company gets tasked to set up an OP on a mountain. The company does the planning. At the very least, the platoon leader and platoon sergeants for the platoon doing the mission are involved at looking at the map and planning it.

SF company get tasked for same mission. The entire team works out the CONOP and sends it to higher.

In both of those examples, about 87% of the planning is done at the ground level. At the very least, it's done by experienced officers and NCOs that know what they're doing.

Seals do not plan that way. They walk into a briefing room or tent and get handed a 87% complete plan and told to run with it. Why? Because that's not how they were trained. Because planning operations isn't fun or sexy and the teams have no interest in it. I've seen this first hand with seals, downrange and in training. Seals were sent to work a joint op with a SF company (I am NOT SF, and not claiming to be, I was a intel support guy assigned to a SF company downrange where I was present for a lot of planning). The SF team involved and the B team (that's the company staff, all SF guys also) brought them in to plan and the Seal team lead told them 'We don't waste our time with that shit, come find me when it's time to do mission brief', then walked out.

I saw the same thing in training. Seals were at Ft Polk for JRTC. Seal teams get briefed on their mission (get dropped off here, walk here, hit the safe house, then call for pickup). A Navy intel guy in a tent told them where they are getting dropped off and what route to take while coming in on foot. That team ended up walking through waist deep swamp and bitched nonstop during debrief. Sure the intel guy fucked that up, but why didn't the team lead catch that? 'Umm sir, that's a lot of swamp on that route. Why don't we go this way?'

Yo Slick,

I don't have any info other than the open source stuff we have all seen but according to most all the open source stuff the SEAL team had no choice to to fly to the X. They requested additional time to fly to the Y and then move on the ground to the X but that request was denied.

I get your point that the culture in the SEAL community is quite different and many would view it as less professional.

The SEALs whom I have discussed this with feel that their culture breeds more creativity and gets better results.

I am not taking sides per say just pointing out that open source information about real world mission don't really support the GD SEAL bash.

I know SEALs think their way gets better results, but from the experiences I've had with both them and Army SF, (both in training and in theater) the SF way works better.

If I thought the SEAL way of doing things got better results, I'd be saying it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Missing a Navy vs Army joke is not exactly the worst thing that ever happened to me.

The joke does show the service rivalry and the hard feeling about who was chosen for the highest profile raid in history. It's even more interesting in light of the Capt Phillips operation that was the highest profile hostage rescue mission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The joke going around was Blue was chosen over Green because the latter might have caught UBL alive.

LOL Fing L.

The Green team (the training group, like guys going through OTC for CAG) was never seriously considered for what was the most important Special Operations Op of Obummer's Presidency.

Fuck me there is not even a Blue Squadron.

I have a feeling that one of these days, you will learn a few things that will cause you to look back at this thread with great embarrassment.

Missing a Navy vs Army joke is not exactly the worst thing that ever happened to me.

The joke does show the service rivalry and the hard feeling about who was chosen for the highest profile raid in history. It's even more interesting in light of the Capt Phillips operation that was the highest profile hostage rescue mission.

I bet our spank banks are very different.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now you pissed me off.  pilot was my classmate and a great man and officer.  Better than me certainly

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Your wall of text and feelings are duly noted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the outside looking in the incidents are pretty similar.

Just my opinion.

I will give you your due: When the subject is something inside your wheelhouse (long range hunting/shooting and building rifles for those activities), you are a subject matter experts.

However, subjects surrounding military operations are way out of your lane. In those areas, it would be best to sit back and read, allowing those who know of what they speak to educate you a little.

For the record, I was in Afghanistan at the time of Operation Anaconda. I was assigned to the Brigade Tactical Operations Center of 3rd Brigade, 101ST Airborne, and listened to the Battle of Roberts' Ridge unfold in real time. I heard some of the radio traffic as it was being transmitted. Having said that, despite being one of the few on this board who can make the assertion that they were involved in that operation, I know where my lane ends.

If you want to know about the fire support operations occurring on and around KAF, or the effort to push troops and equipment from KAF to BAF, I can discuss that - to a degree. What I won't do, however, is act as I have anything more than secondhand knowledge of the planning of the SOF participation or their actions on the objective.

You're welcome to offer a rebuttal of anything I said that you feel is out of my lane.

Please be specific.

Listen there is no shame in the fact you do not understand tactics, operational planning and execution. There is no dishonor in that, if you have not served, but to keep beating the proverbial dead horse on something you fail to grasp, those were both entirely different. The basic point here and it is not meant as a slam or disrespect to the seal community, but while being real good at small team tactics for what their trained for, in a sense rescue, snatch and grabs their tops, but in the ground fighting arena they don't have basic infantry trading and it shows in their planning as well as execution. Their out of their element in ground battles, and the longer their on the ground fighting these battles the more the cracks appear and widen. Now have them do what their trained for their second to none, let them bust down doors, grab bad guys, interrogate them what ever, but if your going to put them on the ground and keep them there then give the infantry skills they need, this goes for their whole comnand stricter, this the reason I believe DELTA is the superior force, they have worked their way up through steps of the ladder, same for all of the Rangers and SF.

Your wall of text and feelings are duly noted.

Wrote it on my phone at break, but the post and point remain the same.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Now you pissed me off.  pilot was my classmate and a great man and officer.  Better than me certainly

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't going to comment on that, because I haven't seen the movie or read the book.

I stopped consuming combat fan fiction the day a guy from my BCT class was killed in Iraq before I even finished AIT.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I watched that scene and no more. Make one of the few people who didnt fuck up that day look like a coward and gave medals to the guys who fucked up and got him killed

So yeah.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Well I do get in the way of a good GD SEAL bash.

You paid for an ignore button, give me a click.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sum Ting Wong?

I didn't know your username before this thread, but now I do know whose posts should be skipped over.

He paid for it, as did I. Thing is, your reading comprehension is severely lacking. I don't see seal bashing, and those who have been there e not ether but I do see tactics, and lack of it infantry training being brought up. My post never bashed, but pointed out a few facts and clearly expressed no disrespect at all. You can not disrespect someone for something their not given, only point out some constructive criticism, something given to you but you fail to hear and get all butt hurt over.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm more impressed by your ability to be that guy in every thread you post in. It's like reading a Topper from Dilbert cartoon.

http://hyndsy.blogs.com/dunit/022708_2016_TheTopper1.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sum Ting Wong?

I didn't know your username before this thread, but now I do know whose posts should be skipped over.

I'm more impressed by your ability to be that guy in every thread you post in. It's like reading a Topper from Dilbert cartoon.

http://hyndsy.blogs.com/dunit/022708_2016_TheTopper1.gif

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I watched that scene and no more. Make one of the few people who didnt fuck up that day look like a coward and gave medals to the guys who fucked up and got him killed

So yeah.

View Quote

A tale as old as time, so far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have found that not bashing US Service Men is good for business.

I realize that some in GD figure the SEALs are as treasonous as Snowden but my experience and the facts are different.

Sorry if you feel different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sum Ting Wong?

Nah.  Never used it.

Brain finally associated the name.from other forums.  You're that TV long range rifle guy.
Have you found internet pissing  contests to be good for business?

Edit:  Correcting auto correct...

I have found that not bashing US Service Men is good for business.

I realize that some in GD figure the SEALs are as treasonous as Snowden but my experience and the facts are different.

Sorry if you feel different.

In your experience?

What, exactly, is your experience as it relates to matters like these ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yo Slick,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yo John,

Have you ever been involved in planning a military operation? 5 paragraph Op Order for a flag football game? Anything at all?

Most of the guys here with tanks have. And that's where our criticism comes from. The mission was fucked up in it's planning (specifically the decision to land a helo right on the objective), which caused the execution to get fucked up. And why was the decision made? Because Seals are great at missions like that. They have experience doing missions like that and their staff has experience planning missions like that. So they didn't see the problem with landing a helo on the mountaintop because that's how it's done in ops like the OBL raid. Put a Ranger or SF officer in that briefing room and they would have raised holy hell over it.

Here's how it works for the Army. Infantry company gets tasked to set up an OP on a mountain. The company does the planning. At the very least, the platoon leader and platoon sergeants for the platoon doing the mission are involved at looking at the map and planning it.

SF company get tasked for same mission. The entire team works out the CONOP and sends it to higher.

In both of those examples, about 87% of the planning is done at the ground level. At the very least, it's done by experienced officers and NCOs that know what they're doing.

Seals do not plan that way. They walk into a briefing room or tent and get handed a 87% complete plan and told to run with it. Why? Because that's not how they were trained. Because planning operations isn't fun or sexy and the teams have no interest in it. I've seen this first hand with seals, downrange and in training. Seals were sent to work a joint op with a SF company (I am NOT SF, and not claiming to be, I was a intel support guy assigned to a SF company downrange where I was present for a lot of planning). The SF team involved and the B team (that's the company staff, all SF guys also) brought them in to plan and the Seal team lead told them 'We don't waste our time with that shit, come find me when it's time to do mission brief', then walked out.

I saw the same thing in training. Seals were at Ft Polk for JRTC. Seal teams get briefed on their mission (get dropped off here, walk here, hit the safe house, then call for pickup). A Navy intel guy in a tent told them where they are getting dropped off and what route to take while coming in on foot. That team ended up walking through waist deep swamp and bitched nonstop during debrief. Sure the intel guy fucked that up, but why didn't the team lead catch that? 'Umm sir, that's a lot of swamp on that route. Why don't we go this way?'

Yo Slick,

Unfuckin belivable, they are easily the most predicatble force on the battlefield.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So yeah.

Ain't that the truth.

Both statements
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yo Slick,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yo John,

Yo Slick,

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wasn't going to comment on that, because I haven't seen the movie or read the book.

I stopped consuming combat fan fiction the day a guy from my BCT class was killed in Iraq before I even finished AIT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a great scene. The four SEALs had already killed at least fifty to hundred enemy fighters when the two rescue Chinooks arrived. The first Chinook is getting ready to fast rope Eric Bana down when it gets shot down. The second Chinook pulls out because there's no Apache support and one Chinook is already down and as they're pulling out some blood crazed SEAL pulls out a M9 on the pilot for robbing him his chance to kill fifty bad guys single handily and die in battle.

TLDR: Army = cowards
          Navy = heroes
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#29]
If ignorance is bliss, the happiest motherfucker on the planet has been posting in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If ignorance is bliss, the happiest motherfucker on the planet has been posting in this thread.
View Quote

havent you seen all the
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, had they used a solid wall at the training compound instead of a chain link fence....
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Marines have been sniping pirates from ships before sniping pirates from ships was cool

We captured an HVT in Iraq without firing a shot. All ground floor doors were had steel bars and we're locked. So we climbed up to the top deck and infiltrated down from there. Tactically walked into his bedroom where we was sleeping with his wife. Woke the mother fucker up, trashed his house, and left with him tied up and blind folded.

We almost had a casualty. The team on the ground making up the cordon was almost trampled by a bull that was in the courtyard at the rear of the house

Standing by for my book and major motion picture deal

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

TL/DR: SF shouldn't be sniping pirates from a moving ship. SEALS shouldn't be on mountains in landlocked countries. And JohnBurns thinks that frequent balls on his nose make him a SEAL expert.

Marines have been sniping pirates from ships before sniping pirates from ships was cool

We captured an HVT in Iraq without firing a shot. All ground floor doors were had steel bars and we're locked. So we climbed up to the top deck and infiltrated down from there. Tactically walked into his bedroom where we was sleeping with his wife. Woke the mother fucker up, trashed his house, and left with him tied up and blind folded.

We almost had a casualty. The team on the ground making up the cordon was almost trampled by a bull that was in the courtyard at the rear of the house

Standing by for my book and major motion picture deal

I can't give you a movie deal but show up at the HTF meet and you won't pay for any beer.  I guess jihadis were unaware of how ladders and bolt cutters work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The problem is that there's a lot of institutional knowledge from spending extensive time in the field regularly that you won't get from a training class, even Ranger School (as an example, in Ranger School, my brother's platoon had two guys who knew how to properly build a fire - one of them would have to stand guard over the small fire while the other collected appropriate tinder, to prevent some well-meaning but ignorant fellow student from dumping a pile of pine needles on it thinking those were the correct fuel).  Things that may get mentioned in books, but that you don't really learn until you do it repeatedly, how to move, how to select positions, how to make sure your gear is secure while still being accessible, etc...  You can spend all day learning map reading and land navigation from the manuals, but getting that in-depth gut understanding from doing it takes doing it a LOT, especially at night or in nasty weather.  Habits that get ingrained that show the difference between someone who has been to school and someone who has been out and done it a lot.  I've known several SEALs, great guys, outstanding physical conditioning, but that doesn't mean they truly know their way around in the field, for one thing, they don't tend to spend as much time on extended operations as Army and Marine infantry units do.  SEALs recruit from a pool that has no fieldcraft background, it's possible to enlist for the Rangers or SF, but after the schools, that new recruit is going to be spending a lot of quality time being taught how to do things in the field by their more senior fellows, guys who've spent a LOT of time out in the field.   Dick Marcinko actually mentioned some of this problem when he was preparing his SEAL platoon to go to Vietnam in his book Rogue Warrior (I forget the details, it's been years since I read it).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a very bad situation to find yourself in. I find it hard to believe SEALs don't go through infantry training. I would think that would be going on now considering the wars we have been fighting.
Would 8 weeks at Benning or the Marines equivalent be beneficial?  My friend was Force Recon.   And I know he did Arborne and Ranger School at Army facilities.

From what I've read here sounds like the SEALs handle much of their training in house.

The problem is that there's a lot of institutional knowledge from spending extensive time in the field regularly that you won't get from a training class, even Ranger School (as an example, in Ranger School, my brother's platoon had two guys who knew how to properly build a fire - one of them would have to stand guard over the small fire while the other collected appropriate tinder, to prevent some well-meaning but ignorant fellow student from dumping a pile of pine needles on it thinking those were the correct fuel).  Things that may get mentioned in books, but that you don't really learn until you do it repeatedly, how to move, how to select positions, how to make sure your gear is secure while still being accessible, etc...  You can spend all day learning map reading and land navigation from the manuals, but getting that in-depth gut understanding from doing it takes doing it a LOT, especially at night or in nasty weather.  Habits that get ingrained that show the difference between someone who has been to school and someone who has been out and done it a lot.  I've known several SEALs, great guys, outstanding physical conditioning, but that doesn't mean they truly know their way around in the field, for one thing, they don't tend to spend as much time on extended operations as Army and Marine infantry units do.  SEALs recruit from a pool that has no fieldcraft background, it's possible to enlist for the Rangers or SF, but after the schools, that new recruit is going to be spending a lot of quality time being taught how to do things in the field by their more senior fellows, guys who've spent a LOT of time out in the field.   Dick Marcinko actually mentioned some of this problem when he was preparing his SEAL platoon to go to Vietnam in his book Rogue Warrior (I forget the details, it's been years since I read it).

Thank you.  
Makes sense. My dad was infantry and I know that when he was young, he was in the field ( as he put it) "30-45 days out of 60"

Years of that would be hard to,duplicate I guess
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yo Slick,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yo John,

Yo Slick,

Still a terrible idea....though I think you're just throwing lingo, and didn't actually mean a HAF to the Y.

ETA: Also, what you've repeatedly failed to realize or appreciate in this thread is that those "bashing" the SEALs in certain aspects are doing so based on a lot more than mere open source accounts of operations. It's based on working with the teams, and other real-world experiences in training and combat.

Lacking that ground experience myself--having never been in the TOC when SF teams are coming up with their plan--I wouldn't pretend to have grounds to criticize SEAL mission planning, training, etc. But those who DO have that experience and HAVE been around when those plans are being made have every right to criticize the SEALs so long as they're doing so fairly (i.e. not blatantly making shit up).

On the other hand, if the thread were about who knows what the hell they're doing in a CAS stack or how to employ tactical ISR in support of these kinds of operations, I'd have no qualms with throwing spears at those services or units that, based on actual experience, are deficient in those areas...and I would expect that the ground guys wouldn't be arguing from such a position of authority on that topic.

Or in other words, you're debating this topic with SMEs that are arguing from actual experience, and you're doing so based only on second-hand conversations and very, very limited information.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I read and understand that. So are we supposed to assume the airman had gone unconscious for a short period of time, long enough to not see that his team had left him? I'm just not seeing how a guy who ended up not being dead was not able to move or say something to let them know he was alive. Understandably there are bullets flying, explosions and people yelling constantly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rip

Read the article, or just comments here?  Bruising on his forehead indicates an impact that one could believe was enough to knock him out.  Bruising doesn't occur in dead people.  Also, of the numerous bullet wounds, the two fatal in the chest were determined to be impossible to have been sustained while laid out-meaning he was vertical and moving.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wait, wut?  Home run?

They crashed a top secret bird, flubbed the demo on it, and it was in China hours later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that the Squids hit a home run goes against the GD narrative that SEALs are frat boys at best and worse than Snowden  at worst.

That is my point.

Wait, wut?  Home run?

They crashed a top secret bird, flubbed the demo on it, and it was in China hours later.

Umm, ST6 guys aren't flying it. I would assume 160th pilots.

I am not going to pile on to bash/defend the SEALs just pointing something out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Well because you were on call.

You got this schit. Win the war for all of us.

Somebody has to dig up IEDs so the real heros can win.

Side note:

Are SEAL teams pretty much Snowdens running around giving out enemies secure laptops and hardrives??????
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder why you did not get the call when the OBL takedown was in the planning stage.

Because I was in Afghanistan working for another SEAL team at the time.  Why didn't they call you again?

Well because you were on call.

You got this schit. Win the war for all of us.

Somebody has to dig up IEDs so the real heros can win.

Side note:

Are SEAL teams pretty much Snowdens running around giving out enemies secure laptops and hardrives??????
That's despicable
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Both statements
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So yeah.

Ain't that the truth.

Both statements

It's why I'm extremely dismissive toward the positions and supposed accomplishments of virtually anyone I haven't worked with directly, until my personal experience with them manages to overcome my deeply ingrained assumption that it's all bullshit being presented for a reason which may not have honest underpinnings.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wow 40 hours a week for four years!  How did you do it?  You do realize the JCS at the time was Admiral Mullins and the Commander at the time was McCrystal right?  The two top guys were both Navy, so of course the Navy would get the go ahead for the "Raid of a Lifetime."  Stop getting your dick so hard, the SRT I was with at Stewart could have done that.  There was nothing special about the Raid other than the fact of who it was.
View Quote

Um, it was a cross border raid into a sovereign nation who is also a 'nominal' US ally. So it was a unique operation. This wasn't kicking down the door to some IED emplacers house in Ghazni Province. We've done very few cross border OPs (Ghadiya, al-Libi, a few in Somalia, which really isn't a country, etc).
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a very bad situation to find yourself in. I find it hard to believe SEALs don't go through infantry training. I would think that would be going on now considering the wars we have been fighting.
Would 8 weeks at Benning or the Marines equivalent be beneficial?  My friend was Force Recon.   And I know he did Arborne and Ranger School at Army facilities.

From what I've read here sounds like the SEALs handle much of their training in house.

Careful. John Burns will accuse you of not knowing your primary military colors/services.
So, JB the blue he is talking about is the blue that is the branch color of army infantry ( I'm not a vet but my dad's stuff all had blue backing and the blue cord I saw in in old pics)

Thank you, sir

And bcw107 for the "drinking your own bath water " explanation.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Read the article, or just comments here?  Bruising on his forehead indicates an impact that one could believe was enough to knock him out.  Bruising doesn't occur in dead people.  Also, of the numerous bullet wounds, the two fatal in the chest were determined to be impossible to have been sustained while laid out-meaning he was vertical and moving.  

Read 1/4 it, essentially the synopsis that did not cover that part so thank you for telling me.

Would hate to awake to being alone in a firefight with no friendlies in sight.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that the Squids hit a home run goes against the GD narrative that SEALs are frat boys at best and worse than Snowden  at worst.

That is my point.

Wait, wut?  Home run?

Already been explained like 4 times. They fucked up the demo and China recovered the bird from the Pakis.  Hard to explain that without noting that it crashed first.

Therefore I would most certainly not call the mission, of which both SOAR and ST6 was a part of, a home run.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's why I'm extremely dismissive toward the positions and supposed accomplishments of virtually anyone I haven't worked with directly, until my personal experience with them manages to overcome my deeply ingrained assumption that it's all bullshit being presented for a reason which may not have honest underpinnings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So yeah.

Ain't that the truth.

Both statements

agreed.  KIAs are unquestioned heroes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

In your experience?

What, exactly, is your experience as it relates to matters like these ?
View Quote

Apparently on elk hunts they discuss team physical security and SI destruct protocols.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why don't we ever hear the stories of SF teams or Marine Recon guys getting in against all odds firefights?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"The new account of Sergeant Chapman’s last act reopens old wounds for SEAL Team 6, the elite Navy unit that would later kill Osama bin Laden. The findings could rekindle tensions between Team 6 and other Special Operations organizations that lost men in the March 4, 2002, mission, which they felt the SEALs had planned and executed poorly, according to current and former military officials."

That's their fucking MO. They roll into missions with the mindset of, "We're SEALS, fuck METT-TSL"

ETA: No fucking shit. "the SEALs had “violated a basic tenet of reconnaissance” by landing directly on their observation post instead of hiking up to it."

Why don't we ever hear the stories of SF teams or Marine Recon guys getting in against all odds firefights?

Because if you follow TTP you will not fire a shot during a recon mission.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

how do you HALO out?  can you describe that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Navy SEAL's halo in, halo out...

You know, give me a couple dozen Lance Corporal and a 100 million a year for ops and gear and I could assemble the most daring daring unit to walk the earth.

Said LCpl's will not at any time have a good conduct medel.

how do you HALO out?  can you describe that?

Bend a tall tree down, put seal on tree, release, write book.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Like when UBL got his head cannoed?

Lots of water around Abbottabad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My question is simple.... Would he have left a SEAL behind?  If the answer was yes, then I'm good with it.

I have known some fantastic frogmen, but the reoccurring theme is they are not operating in their environment and it shows. As already posted, I'll take an objective with a pack of lance criminals or preferably bat boys before I go with a team that doesn't plan its own missions and isn't trained for it.

Then again, the navy has its nose in all sorts of things it has no business in IMHO.

Like when UBL got his head cannoed?

Lots of water around Abbottabad.

Hmmmm
Someone is not in the know.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

<snip>

TLDR: Army = cowards

Navy = heroes
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#49]
IIRC, if Delta was presented with this OP they would have been planned much differently, but also glad THEY were not given the op, as thy like to be quiet, i.e. silent (John Burns) and NOT made into rock stars like the SEALs were and life SEAL ops before. I have a friend whom I grew up with who retired a 18C, always laughs at SEAL ops in how their so well known, but all others just seem to go unnoticed and that's the way they should be as well as how they want them.  He also made some interesting points that were more or less brought up here about the 160th, and the reason why for the crash, and how it wasn't destroyed by the demo, which it should have been, he left me with the impression that also fell on seal planning, and implementation.  But hey what do I know, I don't hunt with seals or teach them how to be snipers, hell I don't even shoot game very long range anymore, I figured out the further the shot, further the hike, further the hike back.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

IIRC, if Delta was presented with this OP they would have been planned much differently
, but also glad THEY were not given the op, as thy like to be quiet, i.e. silent (John Burns) and NOT made into rock stars like the SEALs were and life SEAL ops before. I have a friend whom I grew up with who retired a 18C, always laughs at SEAL ops in how their so well known, but all others just seem to go unnoticed and that's the way they should be as well as how they want them.  He also made some interesting points that were more or less brought up here about the 160th, and the reason why for the crash, and how it wasn't destroyed by the demo, which it should have been, he left me with the impression that also fell on seal planning, and implementation.  But hey what do I know, I don't hunt with seals or teach them how to be snipers, hell I don't even shoot game very long range anymore, I figured out the further the shot, further the hike, further the hike back.
View Quote

Uh, CAG was in there. Blaber and his AFO teams were in the Shah-I-Kot several days prior to Anaconda kicking off. Those dudes did it right and had it hemmed-up tight until Trebon sent Mako-31 out to Gardez with orders to insert directly onto Takur Ghar that night; in the same breath, he ordered Blaber to turn his AFO operation over to DEV. They also had parallel comms established effectively cutting Blaber and his guys out of the loop. Shit hit the fan directly after that.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top