Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2016 11:09:32 AM EDT
So, I just built all three in similar configurations. I know GMC and Chevy are practically identical and both use the 6.0L, but why are they more expensive than the Ford that is running the 6.2L? Not to mention the power and torque increase with the Ford.

I own a GMC and have always liked them and Chevy better than Ford, but what's the deal with the cost and smaller gas V8? I tow a 28ft camper so I care about finding that balance between power, torque, reliability, and some comforts.

I know some in here know the ins and outs of the motors and what makes one better so, I'm all ears.

ETA: So, the 2500 and 3500 both use the same gas engine? Which are numbers barely better than my 2010 5.3L
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2010 with the 5.3... 315hp, 335ft-lb.

New 6.0l is 360hp, 380 ft-lb....

That's not almost the same
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

For some reason I thought it was more than that. I got lucky with my 2010 as it's rated to tow 9,200 lbs, but I max at about 8.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]
If I remember correctly, the 6.0 in the GM HD trucks is rated to run on gasoline, E85, and natural gas (if configured with the correct fuel source). Slightly different seals and internals and its a Gen IV instead of the newer Gen V's.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not all that different either.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#5]
If you don't need a 3/4 ton GM has a 6.2l option in the ltz trim this is 420hp and 460 torque. Why you can't get it in the 3/4 ton I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#6]

I guess I was mistaken in that the engine played a larger role in towing capacity than the suspension and other features. I knew they were important, but the engines are all the same size whether it's 1500, 2500, 3500. Interesting.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you don't need a 3/4 ton GM has a 6.2l option in the ltz trim this is 420hp and 460 torque. Why you can't get it in the 3/4 ton I don't know.
View Quote

With towing a 28ft camper and carrying the crap that goes with it, I'm eventually going to want/need a 3/4 ton.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Probably do a 3/4 diesel
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]

So the max conventional towing for the GMC 2500 is 13,000 whether you go gas or diesel? What am I missing here?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the Ram is an unadulterated hunk of horseshit, for starters. Pitch that one out to start with. (EDIT- misread your first post, doesn't look like you are considering Ram, thankfully)

Whether you get Ford or GM, you will regret not buying a diesel pulling a 28ft camper. Cheap fucks will be along shortly to tell you how the gas engine is better, cheaper to maintain, whatever- it's bullshit. Diesel is superior in every way as long as you are willing to spend a little more on maintenance.

The Ford has a superior transmission, and the new engines have very few problems. The Duramax engine in the GM is solid and proven; the Allison I'm not a big fan of, as it won't hold up to even the smallest mods (if you decide to reprogram, etc). The GM truck is also flimsy compared to the Ford, IMO.

Either way, get the diesel. And if the primary purpose of this truck is towing, buy a 1-ton, even if you stick with single rear wheel. The additional cost is very minimal (less than a couple grand) and it will handle much better loaded.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So the max conventional towing for the GMC 2500 is 13,000 whether you go gas or diesel? What am I missing here?
View Quote
That's the max of the hitch using class 5 weight distributing hardware.. Gotta go gooseneck or fifth wheel to go heavier.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, the Ram is an unadulterated hunk of horseshit, for starters. Pitch that one out to start with. (EDIT- misread your first post, doesn't look like you are considering Ram, thankfully)

Whether you get Ford or GM, you will regret not buying a diesel pulling a 28ft camper. Cheap fucks will be along shortly to tell you how the gas engine is better, cheaper to maintain, whatever- it's bullshit. Diesel is superior in every way as long as you are willing to spend a little more on maintenance.

The Ford has a superior transmission, and the new engines have very few problems. The Duramax engine in the GM is solid and proven; the Allison I'm not a big fan of, as it won't hold up to even the smallest mods (if you decide to reprogram, etc). The GM truck is also flimsy compared to the Ford, IMO.

Either way, get the diesel. And if the primary purpose of this truck is towing, buy a 1-ton, even if you stick with single rear wheel. The additional cost is very minimal (less than a couple grand) and it will handle much better loaded.
View Quote

Yeah, I'll be avoiding Ram

I don't mind the maintenance of diesel I had a diesel Mercedes SUV. Good point, I'll look into it. The idea would be keep it long enough to outgrow the trailer and convert to 5th wheel so yeah, the 1 ton is probably smartest.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's the max of the hitch using class 5 weight distributing hardware.. Gotta go gooseneck or fifth wheel to go heavier.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, I'd go 3/4 or 1T so I could eventually go 5th wheel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't mind the maintenance of diesel I had a diesel Mercedes SUV. Good point, I'll look into it. The idea would be keep it long enough to outgrow the trailer and convert to 5th wheel so yeah, the 1 ton is probably smartest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just as an FYI, you can pick up a hell of a deal on a 2016 Ford right now with the model changeover. Or, if you want the latest and greatest, the 2017 aluminium-body trucks are just starting to show up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]
You can do everything you need with the gas motors, but will enjoy it much more with a diesel. Interestingly the GM 2500/3500 gas motor will have a lower HP rating if the GVWR is over 10k. Currently have a 2016 F250 with a 6.7, traded a 3500HD gasser for it. Kinda wish I would have gotten the GM with a 6.6 though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#16]
My current and past work truck have both been a  F-250's(13 and a 16) with the 6.2, XLT models with the brake controller etc.  I tow boatss for work, loads are over 10k easy all the time, great truck to tow with, gets 11mpg empty or towing lol..................  Without a load on it it rides a bit rough.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You can do everything you need with the gas motors, but will enjoy it much more with a diesel. Interestingly the GM 2500/3500 gas motor will have a lower HP rating if the GVWR is over 10k. Currently have a 2016 F250 with a 6.7, traded a 3500HD gasser for it. Kinda wish I would have gotten the GM with a 6.6 though.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

I'm interested as well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the GMs are a nicer truck. I went with the Ford thinking it would be more robust, which it is so no regrets there. Mine is a Lariat with the ultimate package and it has just about everything but it just seems dated for a new truck.

Mechanically can't say either one is better but the Ford does have more power and reliability seems great with the 6.7.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think the GMs are a nicer truck. I went with the Ford thinking it would be more robust, which it is so no regrets there. Mine is a Lariat with the ultimate package and it has just about everything but it just seems dated for a new truck.

Mechanically can't say either one is better but the Ford does have more power and reliability seems great with the 6.7.
View Quote

it is nice having a straight axle up front on the Fords
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

A new F150 Lariat is.....dated? It comes with more trinkets than any of the other mfg's.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was one of the big factors for me along with the factory e locker.  Previous truck was a 2011 3500HD. The G80 in that is supposed to be automatically locking, but I don't think its the same as the e-locker on my Ford. This spring with my chevy got stuck in my field real bad, like from air dam on the ground and both diffs sinking in the mud. The rear was not always locking, or maybe it was broken lol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A new F150 Lariat is.....dated? It comes with more trinkets than any of the other mfg's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are not talking about F150's. My F250 has all kinds of trinkets, but its still dated. i think the only option missing is a garage door opener.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
We are not talking about F150's. My F250 has all kinds of trinkets, but its still dated. i think the only option missing is a garage door opener.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The integrated garage door opener in my F-250 is the tits.

OP, for pulling that the best bang for your buck right now is a 2016 Ford 6.7.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I went from a 08 GMC 2500 6.0l gasser to a 15 Chevy 3500 dually with a Duramax. My trailer is around 10,000-11,000 lbs bumper pull with load distribution. The gasser would tow it alright but would be screaming going up hills. The dually chugs along getting way better mpg, stops faster and is all around much more enjoyable while towing. Plus as mentioned if you get a bigger truck now you can always go with a bigger trailer in the future. The F250 I drive for for work (company truck) doesn't shift as well as my old 2500 did and doesn't have as much power. But the seats are nicer and I haven't had any problems with it in the 13,000 miles I've put on it.

ETA: My company truck is a base model with a heavy ass lift gate on it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go find a GM with 150k on the clock and check out the interior. Then drive it, and listen to the squeaks and rattles.

You already own the nicest piece of hardware.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That was one of the big factors for me along with the factory e locker.  Previous truck was a 2011 3500HD. The G80 in that is supposed to be automatically locking, but I don't think its the same as the e-locker on my Ford. This spring with my chevy got stuck in my field real bad, like from air dam on the ground and both diffs sinking in the mud. The rear was not always locking, or maybe it was broken lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Traction control has to be turned off. That shit will get you stuck even in 4x4
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

My 5.7 is rated at 395hp and 410 torques. Hemi power, herp derp durr....

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Traction control has to be turned off. That shit will get you stuck even in 4x4
View Quote

This is true, t/c and s/t need to be turned off. It took 210 feet of straps and an S770 to yank it out after a few days of messing with it.

Don't get me wrong do like the truck but the last 10 or so vehicles have all been GM so maybe a little spoiled by familiarity. Here it is with Carli 2.5 backcountry kit, SOTA wheels, Amp steps, and have a Fusion bumper that needs to get painted. Mechanically stock for now!

OP if you are interested in Ford its worth looking at how the dealerships order the trucks. Everything around here even from different places were all ordered basically the same. Most of them had a bunch of overpriced chrome options that don't make much sense. Almost went home with a different truck until I discovered the leather wasn't heated
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you drive yourself out of that? I'd think that at that point,  going from 2 drive wheels to 3 drive wheels isn't going to help you...

ETA: Nvm, I read your post above. I had a feeling.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I own both 2015 Chevy Diesel and 2016 Ford Diesels.  My best advice is to drive them both and just pick one.  i enjoy both brands equally, however Ford has some smoking fucking deals right now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Going to cut the bullshit

Test drive a Chevy. Test drive a ford. See what you like better.  
They both make a very nice truck.
The Chevy will ride like a Cadillac. Which lets be honest. As a DD, and hauler, why the fuck would you pay 60k on a truck that breaks your back on a pea stone? I've been in 2016 duramax's 2500hd and a 2015 Ford F-250. Blind fold yourself as someone else drives you around. You'll pick the Chevy.
"It's not a real feeling truck man" who gives a fuck. Spending 60k is a lot of money to be uncomfortable.

Be smart. And test drive both.  

Either you grew up on dodge Chevy or ford that's where the biased comes from. They are all good trucks
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Going to cut the bullshit

Test drive a Chevy. Test drive a ford. See what you like better.  
They both make a very nice truck.
The Chevy will ride like a Cadillac. Which lets be honest. As a DD, and hauler, why the fuck would you pay 60k on a truck that breaks your back on a pea stone? I've been in 2016 duramax's 2500hd and a 2015 Ford F-250. Blind fold yourself as someone else drives you around. You'll pick the Chevy.
"It's not a real feeling truck man" who gives a fuck. Spending 60k is a lot of money to be uncomfortable.

Be smart. And test drive both.  

Either you grew up on dodge Chevy or ford that's where the biased comes from. They are all good trucks
View Quote

Sometimes our bias comes from working in the industry, and having a full understanding of the engineering put into all 3 brands. We have trucks of all brands disassembled to the deepest parts weekly.

I tell you that not from bias, but personal fucking understanding, Dodge/Ram trucks are some of the most unadulterated pieces of shit ever made, and GM is only half lock-step behind them. Duramax powertrain is also, currently, the most expensive to repair or replace.

FYI, people don't buy one ton trucks for ride quality. All 3 of them ride decent to begin with. The suspension on the Ford is by far and large the most well reputed.  Do I even need to start discussion that 4th trimester abortion of a front end of the GM?  It rides like a car because it's built like a car.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:47:27 AM EDT
[#34]
The best way do deal with any problem with a government motors truck is a new ford or a toyota one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#35]
1 ton is usually exactly the same springs in the Ford but the F350 data playe lets you haul more crap legally.  Price isnt much different usually but if dealer trys to fuck you over to get a 1 ton just get the 3/4. I prefer the Ford. They drive much better than the GM stuff and they are much better quality in general which really shows when they get old. If you keep them forever like me. I have a 97 HD and an 04 F450 both diesels.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Loving the input in here. Dad has always been a Ford guy, uncle was GM (and he's hauled some heavy stuff), other uncle uses Dodge also to haul large equipment.

Comments about comfort are relevant; if I'm towing a camper for 5 hours I'd want to be doing it safely and comfortably.

My current (bought used) 2010 GMC 5.3L has 130,000 and runs just fine, but it does shift HARD into 2nd sometimes. Although, that is only when I'm commuting and not towing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here you go again. I swear ford must pay you royalties the amount you stick up for their shit products
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Loving the input in here. Dad has always been a Ford guy, uncle was GM (and he's hauled some heavy stuff), other uncle uses Dodge also to haul large equipment.

Comments about comfort are relevant; if I'm towing a camper for 5 hours I'd want to be doing it safely and comfortably.

My current (bought used) 2010 GMC 5.3L has 130,000 and runs just fine, but it does shift HARD into 2nd sometimes. Although, that is only when I'm commuting and not towing.
View Quote

What ratio of mileage would you say you are driving commuting vs towing?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Fords have always been cheaper if I recall the best bang for the buck was dodge last time I priced out a new rig. I bought a tacoma instead because I now have ready access to multiple heavy duty trucks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Here you go again. I swear ford must pay you royalties the amount you stick up for their shit products
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah. That's me.

Ford does have, hands down, the best engine on the market.

Their commitment to the heavy duty truck sector - class 4-6 trucks - shows this. 250k engine warranties. Telling customers no major repairs needed till 500k is pretty ballesy in today's world.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering I carpool in my wife's Tiquan and the truck is used for local drives. Mileage would have me thinking 60 (commuting) 40 (towing). I drive everywhere in my truck except to work (usually) then of course when you're towing it's on average 100+ miles each way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fords have always been cheaper if I recall the best bang for the buck was dodge last time I priced out a new rig. I bought a tacoma instead because I now have ready access to multiple heavy duty trucks.
View Quote

I thought Ram was the cheapest? I looked yesterday, but I honestly can't remember.

I found, built the way I want 3/4, diesel, 2nd level upgrades, towing "stuff" I was looking at:

GMC: $54,845
Ford: $53.310
Chevy: $54,915
Dodge: Can't remember, but I thought it was the cheapest.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#43]
A 28 ' trailer weighs what, 6000 ,  7000 pounds?  I wouldn't think you would need a diesel to tow that.

If it were me though, I would contact the manufacturer of my trailer and with model & serial number of my trailer in hand ask them the loaded weight of my trailer including all fluids and such.  Then when shopping for a vehicle you'll know your benchmark.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A 28 ' trailer weighs what, 6000 ,  7000 pounds?  I wouldn't think you would need a diesel to tow that.

If it were me though, I would contact the manufacturer of my trailer and with model & serial number of my trailer in hand ask them the loaded weight of my trailer including all fluids and such.  Then when shopping for a vehicle you'll know your benchmark.

View Quote

Empty mine is 6450. Gross is 9200. I usually don't carry more than ~8,000. The 5.3L pulls it fine, but screams up big hills. Also, the idea is to have a bigger truck for more stability and have the ability to get a 5th wheel down the road. Not to mention my gas mileage when towing is absolute shit. Whatever it is I get, will be around for 10+ years.

ETA: I dont' want a truck that will do it, I want a truck that will easily do it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Empty mine is 6450. Gross is 9200. I usually don't carry more than ~8,000. The 5.3L pulls it fine, but screams up big hills. Also, the idea is to have a bigger truck for more stability and have the ability to get a 5th wheel down the road. Not to mention my gas mileage when towing is absolute shit. Whatever it is I get, will be around for 10+ years.

ETA: I dont' want a truck that will do it, I want a truck that will easily do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you find yourself in our area, come by and I'll let you take one of our tuned 2015 or 2016 trucks out with my gooseneck. Should give you a good impression of what you'll be getting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#46]
A 3/4 ton gas truck will tow that with no problems. And will still be cheaper to own when all things are taken into account.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A 3/4 ton gas truck will tow that with no problems. And will still be cheap er to own when all things are taken into account.
View Quote

Sure, it will tow it.

A diesel will let you set the cruise on 5 over the speed limit, and not spend all day downshifting. You can also actually accelerate at highway speed, which gas engines are absymal at.. It will also get significantly better mileage while doing so.

OP already stated he wanted something that will tow well, not just tow. Gassers do not tow well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sure, it will tow it.

A diesel will let you set the cruise on 5 over the speed limit, and not downshift. It will also get significantly better mileage while doing so.

OP already stated he wanted something that will tow well, not just tow. Gassers do not tow well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 3/4 ton gas truck will tow that with no problems. And will still be cheap er to own when all things are taken into account.

Sure, it will tow it.

A diesel will let you set the cruise on 5 over the speed limit, and not downshift. It will also get significantly better mileage while doing so.

9k pounds? Any 3/4 ton truck can tow 9k pounds with no issues whatsoever. Where do come up with this horseshit?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

9k pounds? Any 3/4 ton truck can tow 9k pounds with no issues whatsoever. Where do come up with this horseshit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, it will tow it.

I guess your definition of something sucking at a task, and mine, are two very different things. I guess you enjoy crossing a 6% grade at 45mph. I offered for OP to come drive one of our rigs and get an impression of his own.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, it will tow it.

We have a 3/4 ton gas Chevy on the farm.  It sucks balls for towing a hell of a lot less than 9k lbs.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top