Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2016 7:38:33 PM EDT
Just "explain what was wrong...."

Time-out, that refuge of the non-spanking parent, is just as bad for kids as corporal punishment, according to a post from Psychology Today by Mary C Lamia. Putting kids in a different area to cool off and think about the rules they've broken can hurt them later in life, she writes.

"Social isolation and rejection are experienced as shame," Lamia says.

I'm glad I ignore the experts. I did what worked for me as a kid. And it seems to have worked for my kids.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Shit, when I was a kid, my "timeout" was the time I spent unconscious after getting my ass kicked.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty soon explaining the problem will hurt their precious developmental skills as they will take it as not being able to reason on their own. Amazing the imbeciles running around and spouting off this crap.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

Yeah, I thought that was the fuckin' point.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]
How about a timeout AND explaining to them what they did was wrong.

I fucking hate psychology.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how fucked up her kids are, if she has any.

Somewhere between "football bat" and "soup sandwich", I reckon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Mary evidently didn't know my mama; she'd explain what you did wrong as she was beating your ass
Timeouts would have been very welcome.
Miss you mama.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]
"Experts"

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Obviously teaching by example isn't happening either.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

My parents must have been into all-inclusive punishments. I'd get beat, time-outs, stuff taken away, and then lectured on why the thing I did was wrong!
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#10]
This is how mass shooters are made- like Adam Lanza.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I wonder how fucked up her kids are, if she has any.

Somewhere between "football bat" and "soup sandwich", I reckon.

View Quote
She looks like a cat herder.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My parents must have been into all-inclusive punishments. I'd get beat, time-outs, stuff taken away, and then lectured on why the thing I did was wrong!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So were mine.  That must be why I am such a poorly adjusted human being.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
"But, then again, I don't have children."

Then STFU.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't complain too much - having worked in a 'mental health' hospital (acute care and lower levels of 'care') I have to say the new paradigm is for most social workers/psychologists is:  'the reason little Johnny or little Mary is the way he/she is, they never experience love'.  We just need to love them back to good mental health.  The level of stupid and ignorance for me was staggering.  Thankfully - no, gracefully I am now retired - my stress level at work (past) could only at the time be dulled with ETOH (sometimes) .
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"Experts"

View Quote

Yeah.  Question:  How many child rearing experts...

A.) Have children

and,

B.) If they have children, how many have kids that aren't totally fucked up?

Bet the numbers are really small.

We've raised enough snowflakes with closets full of participation trophies to know that academia and psychology knows NOT ONE FUCKING THING ABOUT RAISING KIDS.

TC
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#16]
And here all of these supposedly educated people wonder what went wrong with the world? why are these kids turning into useless adults? Its because you didn't beat their ass when they deserved it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Shit, when I was a kid, my "timeout" was the time I spent unconscious after getting my ass kicked.
View Quote

I'm sorry.

But I laughed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL, I use time outs AND spanking.

TOGETHER.  I find the synergistic effect works even better than either one by itself.

My kids would be scarred for life according to the lib cunt.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I rarely ever see out of control kids out in public being punished anymore

Seems most parents treat their little snowflake like a friend. I love when I see the kids talking down to the parents and they don't even do anything
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#20]
This shit, this shit right fucking here, is exactly why adults need fucking safe spaces and western civilization is on the precipice of complete fucking failure.

Physical pain and shame are what teach children to make good choices before subjecting the otherwise civilized world to their presence as adults.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

fpni

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Fuck that noise. I love my kids so I discipline them when necessary. Normally it's a grounding. When it's serious I don't hesitate to spank them. As a result, my kids understand that actions have consequences.
The kids of whoever wrote that crap probably won't contribute a damn thing to society.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#23]
threat of leather belt from my mom worked well on me. If my mom was to the point of using the belt, 1) she was swinging for the fences and 2) I deserved every ass whipping I got.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, that doesn't work.  Feeling bad is part of life.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I imagine I would've turned out worse if I didn't get the belt.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#26]
If you don't mind. I'll raise my child my own fucking way. So fuck you for even making suggestions and sharing the same oxygen I breathe. Now please, would you kindly fuck the fuck off!
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Reminds me of Ned Flander's parents

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just "explain what was wrong...."

Time-out, that refuge of the non-spanking parent, is just as bad for kids as corporal punishment, according to a post from Psychology Today by Mary C Lamia. Putting kids in a different area to cool off and think about the rules they've broken can hurt them later in life, she writes.

I'm glad I ignore the experts. I did what worked for me as a kid. And it seems to have worked for my kids.

View Quote

Fuck all that
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#30]
This kind of bullshit is the result of parents who are pussies.  Look, putting a whooping on one of the people most valuable to you in the entire world isn't easy.  It's hard to purposely hurt someone you love.  But you have to do it because to not discipline the child is to do a disservice to him/her, so no matter how much it hurts you to do so, you do it because you have to.

Pussies who aren't willing to sacrifice their personal good feelings so they can't do their parental duties latch on to retarded ideas like this because it serves to relieve them of the responsibility of disciplining the child, because it's too easy to just say, "well, some child expert said I shouldn't do this or that".
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#31]
My father would have laughed at the very idea of "time out".

I've seen my SIL count to my nephew.  It has about as much impact as if I counted to my dog.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow. I got spanked and had time out as a kid if I fucked up.

SOMEHOW I turned out to be normal and productive member of societ
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'd pay good money to watch this lady reason with some toddlers who are flipping out
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'd pay good money to watch this lady reason with some toddlers who are flipping out

Thanks!

I was looking for that one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#37]
As a scout leader in both Boy Scouts an Cub Scouts, I can really see which kids get disciplined at home, and which ones don't.
The one's that do, are well behaved, know their place in life, respectable, and a pleasure to teach.  The kids that don't, are the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.  It worked, the only lapse was when dad was working 16 hr days and I'd manipulate mom, then dad would get me 2x worse.

It hits a point they are 16, 18, 20 yrs old.. if you ain't raised em right by then you've done a disservice.
Town's curfew is 10PM my son was a few doors down TOLD his mother he'd walk home and hung up... despite clear rules that we would get him.
Summer came to a fear for his life end right there. (didn't get punched, but scared the hit out of him and got in his face, PS4 gone, phone gone, no leaving hisTV and computer free room.  He read books for a few days. :)
Because we DO love him.

Now the motherfucker understands.  It's amazing I even get unscheduled check in calls and he's pulled straight A's. go figure.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
As a scout leader in both Boy Scouts an Cub Scouts, I can really see which kids get disciplined at home, and which ones don't.
The one's that do, are well behaved, know their place in life, respectable, and a pleasure to teach.  The kids that don't, are the exact opposite.
View Quote

I have seen the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#40]

well fuck it. Back to the belt switch and board.  and no I'm not kidding
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#41]
We are breeding special snowflakes that are gonna keep me quite busy up to retirement.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Fuck that noise. I love my kids so I discipline them when necessary. Normally it's a grounding. When it's serious I don't hesitate to spank them. As a result, my kids understand that actions have consequences.
The kids of whoever wrote that crap probably won't contribute a damn thing to society.

View Quote

Her crotch fruit, assuming she has any, will fail their way up in academia, and buearacracy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#43]
You want Liberals?  Because this is how you get Liberals.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I always wonder how do kids of these parenting experts turn out? And if they turn out shitty kids do they blame on the violent video games, violent movies, TV, or bad friends?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Sounds reasonable.  Everybody knows how pleasant it is to be around kids who have no discipline whatsoever...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Nothing teaches you to change your ways like a good spanking (fear of being spanked again) and the shame of disappointing your parents.

I never agreed with time outs and I was 10 yrs old or so when little kids were being sent to time out instead of getting spanked.

One of the best things for kids these days would be to lock out all their internet connected devices.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#50]
And now we know where democrats come from.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top