User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mary evidently didn't know my mama; she'd explain what you did wrong as she was beating your ass

Timeouts would have been very welcome.

Miss you mama.
View Quote

That's where you got to stand in the corner because you were too sore to sit down.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Anybody else get whooped with a piece of Hot Wheels track. Would also get my dad's belt if I was really bad.
My grandfather had a coal miner's belt, only got it once when I was playing with fire in his garage.

And....I grew up to be a (somewhat) normal man. Not a Liberal, moonbat, mangina. Every child should learn the consequences of bad actions and bad behavior.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Just "explain what was wrong...."

Time-out, that refuge of the non-spanking parent, is just as bad for kids as corporal punishment, according to a post from Psychology Today by Mary C Lamia. Putting kids in a different area to cool off and think about the rules they've broken can hurt them later in life, she writes.

"Social isolation and rejection are experienced as shame," Lamia says.

I'm glad I ignore the experts. I did what worked for me as a kid. And it seems to have worked for my kids.
View Quote
does being beaten with a large wooden spoon count as a spanking??

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Spare the rod, spoil the child.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh. I wouldn't say corporal punishment is ineffective but I think you can be a good parent without using it. In all the years of my childhood my parents probably only physically punished me twice. I've never had a problem being respectful or successful. They are excellent role models though and always expect the best out of me. Even now as an adult, disappointing them hurts worse that any strike from a belt or fist.

But that's me. Maybe some of you really needed an asswhooping.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about a timeout AND explaining to them what they did was wrong.

I fucking hate psychology.
View Quote

There was a time when it went like this.

SMACK!

"Now sit in that corner and think about what you did wrong."

"Tell me what you did wrong."  

"Are you going to do it again?"
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Mary C Lamia and the staff and management of Psychology Today badly need physical therapy of the Head and Shoulders variety.

Baton Rouge ... batter up!

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#8]
That's part of why we have this mess we have now. Jackasses.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:55:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Every child should experience shame, so they know that some things are shameful. Like being on welfare.

All the stuff I got punished for I didnt turn out bad, I did some aweful things as I got older.  I had bullies for years and flipped the tables on them in HS when I finally filled out, dented a few lockers with their heads I think of it as me teaching them about shame, since their parents wouldn't do it.  

Bitch needs to shut her fucking trap.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#10]

I got spanked a few times. I remember most of them. Those that I remember, I know I deserved.

It wasn't abuse. It sure as hell made me think twice about repeat offending!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top