Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I feel exactly the same way...which is typical when interacting with you honestly.

So how about we just don't. Seems like an equitable way to solve it.
View Quote

We can if you like however I actually took the time to read what you wrote and responded to what you wrote (adding to it) whereas you just ignored everything I wrote in favor of repeating what you had already written.

If you don't want to converse, fine, I get it but why do that?  Seriously?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah, right! You guys are more divided now than ever!
View Quote

Would you like to know how I know you don't know much about the history of the early church?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nonsense.    How many people believe the moon landing was staged?     How much more evidence can you have that man walked on the moon and yet there are still people who believe it didn't happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the shoe was on the other foot, and there was scientific evidence of god, you wouldn't need faith to begin with.

Nonsense.    How many people believe the moon landing was staged?     How much more evidence can you have that man walked on the moon and yet there are still people who believe it didn't happen.

But those people still believe astronauts and the moon exist, regardless if they've met before. Don't be dense.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Would you like to know how I know you don't know much about the history of the early church?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The existence of God cannot be scientifically proven or disproven. It's a metaphysical question, and science operates in the realm of the physical and tangible.

One can be a scientist and believe in God, or not, as the case may be.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But those people still believe astronauts and the moon exist, regardless if they've met before. Don't be dense.
View Quote

We have video evidence of people walking on the moon and the people who made those walks are still alive (many of them at least) to talk about it.

Discounting that fact strikes me as fairly dense.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Saw this today. http://ageac.org/en/multimedia/scientist-says-he-found-definitive-proof-that-god-exists-2/

I'm already a believer via the evidence of things not seen, but I'm curious to know what level of empirical evidence would be sufficient for those who don't have faith to say: 'Yeah, ok. God Exists.'

What would tip you from non-believer to agnostic to 'Yeah, ok. Supreme being is there.'

ETA: Poll added.
View Quote

I already believe in intelligent design. But I am not so sure that among the myriad different religions, any one particular religion has it exactly right. I can sure as heck point out when one has it wrong though. And beheading non believers has got to be wrong.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What if "God" just plants the seed of life, or pulls back the pendulum, and let's nature
run it's course ? And not something that has the will to affect the course of this world.
What if we're just 1 of a billion experiments in the universe ?

Religion is Man's explanation of some Supreme Being.  None have to be correct.  If
it makes you a better person, I don't see a problem.  Extremists of any religion, including
Atheism, are assholes.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A feat that no human could accomplish, only a being we would describe as God.

Stop earth rotation for a few hours. Something that couldn't be a trick. Like, put Pangea back together.

That'd do it.

What if "God" just plants the seed of life, or pulls back the pendulum, and let's nature
run it's course ? And not something that has the will to affect the course of this world.
What if we're just 1 of a billion experiments in the universe ?

Religion is Man's explanation of some Supreme Being.  None have to be correct.  If
it makes you a better person, I don't see a problem.  Extremists of any religion, including
Atheism, are assholes.  

I'd like to attend your church, please.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If the shoe was on the other foot, and there was scientific evidence of god, you wouldn't need faith to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

His opinion is no more or less valid than the thousands of other scientists who don't believe in god.

Also, we've been told by GDers that scientists are all corrupt liars who only work for grant money, and thus, can't be trusted.  Also they are stupid.  So why the hell would you believe them?

ETA::Also, watching the video, the title of the OP, and the article, are completely wrong.  He did not say "definite proof that god exists".  Rather, it seemed to me he was talking about god in the abstract sense, he said the "mind of 'god' is superstrings resonating in hyperspace". He did not say it was an intelligence. He did not say we were specifically created. He did not say any of that shit that the article implies.

He may be a believer. He may not be.  Its not clear from the video.  The only thing that is clear is that website is complete and utter shite.

Let's be honest though; even if Kaku and a quorum of scientists had come to the conclusion that god exist, it wouldn't change your mind nor the mind of any atheist.

Would a quorum of scientist saying there isn't a god change your mind?

Of course not, which is my point. Atheists often proclaim scientific superiority but if the shoe were on the other foot, they wouldn't change either.

Trying to change someone's mind about faith is like trying to change someone's mind about politics; it's a fool's errand.

At first I was going to point out that there are many things we do have proof of now that people outright deny then I realized you're just being pedantic about the word "faith".

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Got is not a matter of science, but is a matter of faith.

Mixing the two does a disservice to both.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.

Because you said:  "Yeah, right! You guys are more divided now than ever! "    

Take a look at the history of the early Churches in the Middle East, North Africa, and Europe.    Many of the ones that didn't tear themselves apart were torn apart by the governments of the day.

Seriously, go study the history as it is simply fascinating especially in the context of the era.  

The mere fact the Christian church survived long enough to have a Reformation is astounding in light of the many parties that were trying to destroy it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Christianity teaches man condemned himself (through Adam, our representative) and deserves destruction for the actions and choices we made of our own free will.    

Salvation through the blood of Christ was meant as a gift to save mankind from the judgment we brought upon ourselves.

You don't "get a pass on everything else" because the "wages of sin is death."     Even with the gift salvation, sin brings with it its own punishment.
View Quote

Interesting, how do you square causality with the concept of free will?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#13]
That dude forgot how to science.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

At first I was going to point out that there are many things we do have proof of now that people outright deny then I realized you're just being pedantic about the word "faith".

View Quote

Honestly wasn't trying to.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Christianity teaches man condemned himself (through Adam, our representative) and deserves destruction for the actions and choices we made of our own free will.    

Salvation through the blood of Christ was meant as a gift to save mankind from the judgment we brought upon ourselves.

You don't "get a pass on everything else" because the "wages of sin is death."     Even with the gift salvation, sin brings with it its own punishment.

You don't because the concept of original sin may as well be a study in causality.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Take a look at the history of the early Churches in the Middle East, North Africa, and Europe.    Many of the ones that didn't tear themselves apart were torn apart by the governments of the day.

Seriously, go study the history as it is simply fascinating especially in the context of the era.  

The mere fact the Christian church survived long enough to have a Reformation is astounding in light of the many parties that were trying to destroy it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.

Please save me from the tears of boredom, I'm not going to research the church arguing with itself.

Honest question, how many factions were there in the early church, and how many are there today?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You don't because the concept of original sin may as well be a study in causality.
View Quote

So then, you can't sin because you have no choice in the matter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, you can't even believe unless god gives you belief.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That pretty much makes the entire premise worthless.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Please save me from the tears of boredom, I'm not going to research the church arguing with itself.

Honest question, how many factions were there in the early church, and how many are there today?
View Quote

You think lies, deceit, human nature, prostitution, executions, mass rape, desolation and destruction and all of those interactions with the governments of the day (and the established churches) generate "tears of boredom?"     Maybe that's your problem.

The idea that someone would turn their nose up at what is arguably one of the more interesting periods of human history strikes me as odd.

As to your question:  as far as I know nobody knows for sure however there were quite a few and they fought, a lot.   What I can tell you is there are more churches and people professing to be Christians today then at that time.

In fact most of the churches that comprised the "early church" do not exist today.   The story of how that happened is interesting in its own right.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't know what causality is, do you?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You think lies, deceit, human nature, prostitution, executions, mass rape, desolation and destruction and all of those interactions with the governments of the day (and the established churches) generate "tears of boredom?"     Maybe that's your problem.

The idea that someone would turn their nose up at what is arguably one of the more interesting periods of human history strikes me as odd.

As to your question:  nobody knows for sure however there were quite a few and they fought, a lot.   What I can tell you is there are more churches and people professing to be Christians today then at that time.

In fact most of the churches that comprised the "early church" do not exist today.   The story of how that happened is interesting in its own right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As to your question:  nobody knows for sure however there were quite a few and they fought, a lot.   What I can tell you is there are more churches and people professing to be Christians today then at that time.

So if no one knows how many factions there were in the early church, how the fuck can you claim my original statement is wrong?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The video doesn't imply proof of god, or a supernatural intelligence, in any way.

View Quote

really? to each his own i guess...

hes a brilliant man. i have enjoyed his theories for many years. too bad hes a big time lefty / global warmer.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So if no one knows how factions there were in the early church, how the fuck can you claim my original statement is wrong?
View Quote

Because it is?  
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The evidence of things not seen. But then again, I happen to believe Odin, Thor, and Loki are the Norse versions of God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and Satan. At one point their ancestors likely had some version of the truth but past it down incorrectly/ mixed it with other traditions until it became the Norse mythology we all know and love.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw this today. http://ageac.org/en/multimedia/scientist-says-he-found-definitive-proof-that-god-exists-2/

I'm already a believer via the evidence of things not seen, but I'm curious to know what level of empirical evidence would be sufficient for those who don't have faith to say: 'Yeah, ok. God Exists.'

What would tip you from non-believer to agnostic to 'Yeah, ok. Supreme being is there.'

What level of evidence would it take for you to believe in a different God? Say for example Odin or Athena?

The evidence of things not seen. But then again, I happen to believe Odin, Thor, and Loki are the Norse versions of God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and Satan. At one point their ancestors likely had some version of the truth but past it down incorrectly/ mixed it with other traditions until it became the Norse mythology we all know and love.

Funny dodge. What would it take for you to believe in another God? mean fully. Why would you expect others to believe in your's without the same level of proof?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Do statues count as "proof"?

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#31]
If Hulk Hogan said it was true, I would accept it and you can take that to the bank, brother.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My wife sure knows God.  Always screaming his name when we're together.
View Quote

So why haven't you replied; "Yes, my child?"  Have gotten a few good laughs out of that one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Funny dodge. What would it take for you to believe in another God? mean fully. Why would you expect others to believe in your's without the same level of proof?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What level of evidence would it take for you to believe in a different God? Say for example Odin or Athena?

No dodge. As I said the evidence of things not seen. What would it take for you?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#34]
The evidence is pretty clear to me.

We're created like software, except the API is biology and chemistry...  Molecules, enzymes, etc., and the programming / configuration language is DNA, genes, etc.

God made that API and configured the first life with it.

Maybe it has run amuck some while he's been distracted.    

In for the reboot.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Because it is?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if no one knows how factions there were in the early church, how the fuck can you claim my original statement is wrong?

Because it is?  

Prove it. You may be correct, but "because I said so" doesn't work with everyone.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#36]
if you need proof, you don't understand what 'faith' means
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I thought you couldn't get any more off kilter than in the last religion thread.

Yet you up the ante again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well op you've opened up another new can of worms for sure. For most of the atheist that will reply, there is nothing that will change them. Sad but true. They will rebuttal with misguided ignorance, avoid answers, and dance around everything thrown at them.  They will ignore a large number of scientist that believe there is a God, like we even need scientist to prove it, and then throw a bunch of inane answers from some "Supreme Atheist" at this thread. Good luck to all and God Bless everyone.

I thought you couldn't get any more off kilter than in the last religion thread.

I need to teach you about snark dude.   Your life can be WAY more fun.

Maybe I'll make a Youtube channel and offer how-to tips.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

He probably thought he was posting in his Safe Space.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well op you've opened up another new can of worms for sure. For most of the atheist that will reply, there is nothing that will change them. Sad but true. They will rebuttal with misguided ignorance, avoid answers, and dance around everything thrown at them.  They will ignore a large number of scientist that believe there is a God, like we even need scientist to prove it, and then throw a bunch of inane answers from some "Supreme Atheist" at this thread. Good luck to all and God Bless everyone.

You can do better as well.

Well--alright--maybe you can't.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

God is real? Great now which one? If there was definitive proof there was a Creator it isn't like everything is solved in the world.
http://www.harekrsna.de/artikel/gopala/krishna-syamasundara_1s.jpg
View Quote

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

No sooner had I scrolled to this photo of Krishna....then the phone rang!!!

GUESS WHO WAS ON THE LINE??????????????????

It was "Jason" ( yeah.....sure thing, Partosham ) from Technical Computer Services in India!

I also have a crush on a girl from India!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAVE I BEEN WORSHIPING THE WRONG GOD????

WAIT A MINUTE!  I'M AN ATHEIST!  

Should I become a Hari Krishna????????????

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
My first poll. I was bound to mess it up. The question however was directed to those that do not have faith. People with the evidence of things not seen, do not need the evidence of things seen to know that there is a God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't need a scientist to tell me what I already know that God exists.  To each their own though.

However, OP had poll failure as there is not an option for believers.

My first poll. I was bound to mess it up. The question however was directed to those that do not have faith. People with the evidence of things not seen, do not need the evidence of things seen to know that there is a God.
Ahh... the old "It's my first day" excuse. I've been using that one for years, I can see through the ruse.

As for what it take for me to believe... I don't know, though I suppose I would know it when I see it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#43]
With respect to an in person experience.  there is essentially no in person experience (unless it resulted in something testable) that could sway me.  if the in person experience relied on my senses I believe it is much more likely that I was hallucinating or went insane than it would be that the creator of our universe was appearing before me.  

In order to be swayed the evidence would need to meet the burden of proof for the claim that a God exists.  

The level of evidence required to substantiate a claim directly correlates to the scope of the claim.  if you claim you have 10 dollars in your pocket the amount of evidence I would need to believe you is very small.  If you tell me you have a leprechaun in your pocket that grants wishes and shoots lightning bolts ... well then that little Bastard needs to come out of your pocket grant some wishes and shoot some lightning bolts ... anything less would fail to meet the burden of proof in that instance based on the nature of the claim.

The claim that a god exists is a rather extraordinary.  consequently the amount/type of evidence that would be required to convince me would be equally extraordinary.  if God appeared before me, and was real, I'm sure there are a million things he could do to convince me but it would have to be some extraordinary stuff that would difinatively show that he wasn't something else ... that he was the creator of the universe.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

op here s a link for you

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/06/07/what-do-physicists-think-of-michio-kaku/
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aww, you think you're clever? That's adorable!
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

He'd have to build big pyramids.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No dodge. As I said the evidence of things not seen. What would it take for you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would believe only in a god that manifested itself, not just in front of me, but a massive amount of people at the same time, and clearly stated which belief was correct. As of right now belief is based on where you grew up. A person survives a car accident here (an example given as a miracle constantly on this site) they believe the God they were raised to know granted a miracle. A guy survives a canoe accident in the rainforest he believes his God spared him. An Islamic jihadist kills a US soldier and escapes harm they think Allah is watching their back. It is really luck of the draw where you were born. So my belief would only be given if they appeared. Addressed a large enough group of people (hell why not the world they're supposed to be omnipotent) demonstrated a tremendous amount of power and explained which belief was correct.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This.  He'd have to come to earth in the form of a human and do some miracles and stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God would have to come talk to me direct to erase my doubts.

This.  He'd have to come to earth in the form of a human and do some miracles and stuff.

That was excellent!
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.  And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
View Quote

Yes and Amen !
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Proof or disproof negates faith. I am glad Mr Kaku might believe but I know he can never prove God exists.
Page / 9
Top Top