Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3one5:

In what form where the carbs you ate?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Obo2:
I think i can definitively say that trying to carb load the day before a workout sucks ass.

I was lethargic and highly unmotivated. I made it through my squats and bench just fine, no extra carb power there was still right on the edge of my form breaking down on the last rep.

I have been doing situps and sprints along with my chinups but i just had so little gas left only did 5 sets if chins as opposed to my usual 7 with sits and sprints.

So maybe ill try cheating on lift day next time.

In what form where the carbs you ate?

Had a bunch of sushi wine and chocolate the day before.

I dont think the form is important so much as the timing, this past weekend did an 18 mile overnight ruck and munched a bunch of nuts and chocolate while hiking, had lots of energy
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm starting keto this week.. 5'10' 200lbs... I bought some basic stuff to make for meals this week but I was curious for those that don't do the coffee thing in the morning. What do you guys usually eat and how much?  I'm not sure if in the beginning I should split my food intake into multiple meals or  if I should just eat a big meal in the mid-morn/lunchtime and it will make me full enough to last the rest of the evening. Also, do you guys have a food scale to weigh your foods? Using MFP, there doesn't seem to be an exact amount for the various types of foods...
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By eracer:
I went to a new endo yesterday.  He took me off Metformin and Lipitor.  I'm now drug free except for Benicar/HCT (BP med.)

He told me to go back on the Metformin if my fasting glucose went above 150.

I told him my primary doc wanted to stay on the Lipitor because a cardiac CT showed I have 30-40% blockage in two arteries.  He said, "Look, at your age, everyone has some blockage.  I'm 54 and I have 40% blockage.  The fewer drugs you have to take, the healthier you will be."

View Quote

Sounds like you found a good endo.  It doesn't hurt to try..  It's easy to fall into the pill for life routine.

I'm curious how it goes when you're off of the Metformin, best of luck.  Did you and the Doc have a discussion about your UA levels?  Mine are still hanging around high normal with an occasional spike.

Last but not least, are you healing OK since post-op?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Qweevox:

A week really isn't a plateau.  But adding fasting to the regime is probably not a bad idea.

I have a theory about plateaus for people that are trying to lose fat.  It seems that they often occur at "setpoints" from your past.  Most people get fat in stages.  We don't just suddenly move from young and in shape, to fat and unhealthy, we do it in phases, or stages.  If you think back over your life, you can probably remember some of these different "stages", and what you weighed.

I can remember getting "kinda fat" in my late 30's, I say "kinda" because it wasn't enough for me to do anything about it.  I stayed at that "kinda fat" stage for a lot years.  As I was losing fat, I stalled right at that old "kinda fat" weight, for a long time.  On my journey back to health, I hit all the old setpoints again.  

I can't explain it, I can't think of a single reason why this would happened, but it sure seemed to happen.  At least that is how it seemed to work for me.  I

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
Originally Posted By Tangotag:
41 days in and plateau for a week on weight loss.  Dinner was the Keto crack slaw and this morning still passing ketones on the urine strip as dark as it can show. I just can't can't seem to get to 25 pounds off. Going to start fasting the suggested 5/2.  
Side benifit is my wife is loosing weight by eating the same meals but following it less strict.  She is coming around seeing the light with the low carb, high fat diet.  Every time she steps on the scale and sees a loss she says "this doesn't make any sense."

I have been on and off since May. 0.9 on the meter yesterday after probably 60+ (Had some hors doeuvres that unexpectedly had rice in them) carbs throughout the day. 0.5 this morning. If I tried a urine strip I'd get a minimal reading and it's been that way for a while. You should get a meter and check your blood.

If I feel I've hit a plateau I go strictly minimal carb/protein. You could try a day or two eating only fat bombs and see if that will break your plateau.

A week really isn't a plateau.  But adding fasting to the regime is probably not a bad idea.

I have a theory about plateaus for people that are trying to lose fat.  It seems that they often occur at "setpoints" from your past.  Most people get fat in stages.  We don't just suddenly move from young and in shape, to fat and unhealthy, we do it in phases, or stages.  If you think back over your life, you can probably remember some of these different "stages", and what you weighed.

I can remember getting "kinda fat" in my late 30's, I say "kinda" because it wasn't enough for me to do anything about it.  I stayed at that "kinda fat" stage for a lot years.  As I was losing fat, I stalled right at that old "kinda fat" weight, for a long time.  On my journey back to health, I hit all the old setpoints again.  

I can't explain it, I can't think of a single reason why this would happened, but it sure seemed to happen.  At least that is how it seemed to work for me.  I

FWIW- I'm glad you said that because I thought I was crazy...  260, 247, 230 and 220lbs here.  This has happened twice to me.  Going from 260 to 247 has been very easy by cutting out simple sugars.  After that, it's been more work and I'm currently currently bouncing off of 220lbs for a long time.  But that's OK, one day at a time.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm noticing the longer I fast, the clearer my head gets.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Todays lunch was a Mama Lupe's low carb tortilla slathered with mayo with crumbled bacon and diced tomato.

After a month of keto I cheated for the first time Sunday and had a double bacon cheeseburger and a vanilla shake.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RoofTopShot:
I'm starting keto this week.. 5'10' 200lbs... I bought some basic stuff to make for meals this week but I was curious for those that don't do the coffee thing in the morning. What do you guys usually eat and how much?  I'm not sure if in the beginning I should split my food intake into multiple meals or  if I should just eat a big meal in the mid-morn/lunchtime and it will make me full enough to last the rest of the evening. Also, do you guys have a food scale to weigh your foods? Using MFP, there doesn't seem to be an exact amount for the various types of foods...
View Quote

I don't drink coffee and my mornings consist of as much bacon as I can consume and then up to 4 eggs fried in either butter or scrambled into the leftover bacon grease.

Some days I have cream cheese and egg pancakes with a side of bacon or sausage.

I drink water
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Geohans:
I'm noticing the longer I fast, the clearer my head gets.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

skip breakfast unless you work a very physical job i don't do bulletproof coffee, i make an iced mocha with a hefty dose of heavy cream. 1 or two meals a day is better for keto than lots of little ones although splitting up your protein intake as much as possible is also good.

i have never used a scale, usually get pretty close just by estimation and reading the package but a scale would definitely be helpful starting off. As you progress and get your diet dialed in logging becomes unnecessary, you know what foods you can eat pretty much unlimited and which foods have some carbs and need to be consumed in moderation or not at all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#10]
Anyone else noticed the longer you do this, the occasional over carb day (had 35 carbs yesterday) doesn't seem to kick me out of Keto, or if it did I had minimal effects from it this time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#11]

skip breakfast unless you work a very physical job i don't do bulletproof coffee, i make an iced mocha with a hefty dose of heavy cream. 1 or two meals a day is better for keto than lots of little ones although splitting up your protein intake as much as possible is also good.

i have never used a scale, usually get pretty close just by estimation and reading the package but a scale would definitely be helpful starting off. As you progress and get your diet dialed in logging becomes unnecessary, you know what foods you can eat pretty much unlimited and which foods have some carbs and need to be consumed in moderation or not at all.
View All Quotes

Yes try skipping breakfast
It's not easy unless you've gotten some ketones going
It's 12:30pm where I am now
Sitting down for my first calories of any kind since 7pm last night
17.5 hours
Had a very productive mornng
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Tim_McBride:
Anyone else noticed the longer you do this, the occasional over carb day (had 35 carbs yesterday) doesn't seem to kick me out of Keto, or if it did I had minimal effects from it this time.
View Quote

Yes
Glycogen stores are depleted
Plus liver is primed
If you overindulge in the evening go for a run in the morning to jump back in
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By billhw1:
Sounds like you found a good endo.  It doesn't hurt to try..  It's easy to fall into the pill for life routine.

I'm curious how it goes when you're off of the Metformin, best of luck.  Did you and the Doc have a discussion about your UA levels?  Mine are still hanging around high normal with an occasional spike.

View All Quotes

I went to a new endo yesterday.  He took me off Metformin and Lipitor.  I'm now drug free except for Benicar/HCT (BP med.)

I told him my primary doc wanted to stay on the Lipitor because a cardiac CT showed I have 30-40% blockage in two arteries.  He said, "Look, at your age, everyone has some blockage.  I'm 54 and I have 40% blockage.  The fewer drugs you have to take, the healthier you will be."

I'll keep you posted about the glucose.  I told him what my UA levels were, and he didn't seem overly concerned.  He said not to be surprised if they go down after stopping the Metformin.

I have a bellybutton again!  Another week not lifting anything heavy, then back to normal.  Thanks for asking!

(I edited my post.  the doc said to cut my Lipitor in half for a while.  Said it's not good to just quit taking it.  I remembered that after I posted.)
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:16:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#14]

I'll keep you posted about the glucose.  I told him what my UA levels were, and he didn't seem overly concerned.  He said not to be surprised if they go down after stopping the Metformin.

I have a bellybutton again!  Another week not lifting anything heavy, then back to normal.  Thanks for asking!

(I edited my post.  the doc said to cut my Lipitor in half for a while.  Said it's not good to just quit taking it.  I remembered that after I posted.)
View All Quotes

I agree, you have a keeper there.  It sounds like he's legitimately trying to help you, help yourself, to get healthy.  

I'd work hard to get off the cholesterol drugs as fast as you can.  

All drugs have side effects.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]
~ snip the tree~

View Quote

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad you're making progress!

I got a chuckle- He said, "Look, at your age"  
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#16]

~ snip the tree~

View All Quotes

~ snip the tree~

Uh, huh!

I did an install/training yesterday, and the customer asked whether I wanted to go to lunch with them.  I said I was skipping lunch, and she said, "Do you do that often?"

I said, "Yeah, oftentimes I'm just not hungry, and it's OK on the diet I'm on."

Long story short, she's been on Keto for three years and has gone from 250 down to 180.  Her 430 lb. husband has dropped 130 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my numbers back yesterday from my physical and I was a little disappointed.

I've been doing a pretty strict keto diet since late July. In 2012-13 I'd been on sort of a low carb low fat diet where I lost a lot of weight but thought I was going to die. Dropped 50 pounds that time down to 185. Well my weight had crept back up over the last year or two to 206 so I thought I'd try HFLC since my two sons have been on it for a couple years.

I've dropped about 10-15 pounds during the past two months so I'm satisfied with the weight loss aspect, but my numbers were as follows:
cholesterol 200, triglycerides 80, HDL 39, LDL 145

Really thought my HDL would be higher than that.

I'm 65, I usually walk/jog 2.5 to 3 miles at least 5 times a week.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#18]
Originally Posted By NE223:

I've been doing a pretty strict keto diet since late July. In 2012-13 I'd been on sort of a low carb low fat diet where I lost a lot of weight but thought I was going to die. Dropped 50 pounds that time down to 185. Well my weight had crept back up over the last year or two to 206 so I thought I'd try HFLC since my two sons have been on it for a couple years.

I've dropped about 10-15 pounds during the past two months so I'm satisfied with the weight loss aspect, but my numbers were as follows:

Thoughts?
View Quote

What kinds of fat are you eating?

Grass fed butter, eggs, olive oil, coconut oil, fatty fish, fish oil, avocados, nuts, red wine, probiotics...all good ways to boost HDL

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I randomly decided to take a ketone reading tonight. 2.4. I can live with that.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Small update to keep this thread moving:

I broke down and bought the precision xtra glucose/ketone tester. My morning numbers read about 75 mg/dl for glucose and 1.5 mmol/L for ketones.

I am down around 24 pounds since starting and an actually lighter than what my license says for the first time in quite a while.

Wife is feeling better now after getting sick when first starting keto. Loosing weight faster than me now.

Thanks again to everyone who contributes to this great thread!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I finally used my meter and my ketone reading first thing in the morning was 0.7.  I think someone posted a link that will help me understand what the numbers mean, but I can't seem to find it.  Anyone have it handy?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:28:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billhw1] [#22]
Originally Posted By Ras_Thavas:
I finally used my meter and my ketone reading first thing in the morning was 0.7.  I think someone posted a link that will help me understand what the numbers mean, but I can't seem to find it.  Anyone have it handy?
View Quote

Was it this one? - Link

FWIW to everyone, keto urine stix no longer show color for me ( started in March).  I'm either in, or out in a bad way  Starting next week, I'll slash carbs to see if I dump excess ketones through urine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Thoughts?
View Quote

Did you have a large vs small particle LDL test?  Your HDLs do seem low.  

I've struggled with raising HDLs too.  Do you eat fish or supplement with fish oil?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:29:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NE223] [#24]

I've struggled with raising HDLs too.  Do you eat fish or supplement with fish oil?
View All Quotes

Thoughts?

Not sure what the test was. No I haven't been eating fish or supplementing with fish oil, sounds like something I need to look into.

I do use a lot of butter (grass fed) also bacon, pork ribs, heavy cream, etc.

My energy levels seem good overall and my joint inflammation has decreased. Lots of positives, just was surprised at the HDLs.

edit: What fish oil supplements will NOT give you the fishy taste throughout the day
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billhw1] [#25]
~snip~

Not sure what the test was. No I haven't been eating fish or supplementing with fish oil, sounds like something I need to look into.

My energy levels seem good overall and my joint inflammation has decreased. Lots of positives, just was surprised at the HDLs.

edit: What fish oil supplements will NOT give you the fishy taste throughout the day
View Quote

I don't know.  Maybe someone else knows.  If you take a daily dose of aspirin or a script for a blood thinner, fish oil may not be the best choice.

If you haven't already, read up on niacin or Niaspan.   Niaspan bumped my HDLs about 15%to 20% when I took it years ago after a MI.  Niaspan is slow release so it doesn't cause hot flashes in most people.  My dose was 2,000mg and that appears to be the maximum standard dose for most folks.  IIRC, there are three types of niacin, over the counter, one of the three is better than the other two, I just can't recall which.  Is your doctor checking you liver function.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#26]
I take 4 g of fish oil daily.  Over the years I've used lots of different brands, right now I'm taking Nature's Bounty, but only because they're convenient.  I probably should switch to one of the brands produced from krill.  

I've never suffered the "fish taste" problem so often talked about.  But I've only done the oil in capsule form, never by the spoon.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#27]

I take 4 g of fish oil daily.  Over the years I've used lots of different brands, right now I'm taking Nature's Bounty, but only because they're convenient.  I probably should switch to one of the brands produced from krill.  

I've never suffered the "fish taste" problem so often talked about.  But I've only done the oil in capsule form, never by the spoon.
View Quote

I remember my mother would make us take a spoonful cod liver oil back in the late 60's and 70's.  Blech...

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I have had the best luck with Now brand fish oils but every brand seems to have bad batches from time to time and as they get older they seem to get worse about it.

Disclaimer I sell fish oil....
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:07:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#29]
My experimentation with fasting has been interesting.

I started with an 18/6 daily fast, and I felt absolutely great.  I lost a little fat too.  I felt so good, I tried adding the 5 2 diet to the mix (link).   I fasted two times a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays), in addition to the 18/6 daily fast.   ....that worked too.  I felt great.  So I thought what the hell, if a little is good, maybe more is better!

I decided to try an every other day fast, and that's where I really fucked up.   The first week of this dumbass move went okay, but by the second week I started to notice some negative side-effects.  My muscles and joints actually hurt.  I'm talking all of them, the worst case of total body DOMS I have ever in my entire life experienced.  I felt like absolute shit.  

So, I fed fully for three days, and have gone back to the 18/6 fast.   In the case of fasting, at least for me, some is good, but more ain't better.  

The 5 2 would probably have worked out fine, and I may try it again in the future.  I'm interested in the longevity effects of fasting, including the delay of dementia and other age related chronic illnesses.  Being on keto as long as I have, hunger was and wasn't a problem.  

I say that it "was and wasn't" a problem, because I didn't feel hungry until the 2nd week of the alternating day fast, after other symptoms showed up.   That may actually have been a problem.  I wasn't eating enough macros on my feeding day.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I want to lose weight.
6'3, 252 pounds, mid 30s, estimated 32% body fat, lots of soda, snacks, and a desk job.

My goal is to be 190 pounds and moderately fit (defined by me as quickly ascending 6 flights of stairs without noticing), within a year, starting yesterday.

A couple of calculators show between around 2000-2100 calories BMR.
My target is 1600 calories starting yesterday.

Had three fried eggs for breakfast with one slice of whole wheat toast and butter.  Normal Sunday morning breakfast.
One cup of coffee with one coffee mate French vanilla creamer at church.
Lunch was 8 oz venison roast, half an onion, and a couple of cooked carrot slices with a little butter.
Afternoon snack, 7 pieces of pepperoni.
Dinner, big salad, 4 cups iceberg lettuce plus one tomato, some celery, some cucumber, some mushrooms, a little cheese, 1 hardboiled egg, three tablespoons ranch dressing.
Lots of water throughout the day.

Before eating the salad I was ravenous, and it didn't really go away.  

Ended the day with 51 grams of carbs, 83 grams of fat, and 123 grams of protein, for a total of 1454 calories according to the Samsung Health app  I measured .

I woke up hungry.  4 pieces of bacon, one large sautéed mushroom and three fried eggs for breakfast this morning were marginal at removing the hunger.

Going hungry for the next year will end with a fizzle.
How long does it last?

Getting enough fat will be problematic.
I'm not committed to Keto, but think it will be best if I cook my food instead of eating what we normally eat.  My wife cooks a lot of grain and legumes, and there is a fresh loaf of homemade English muffin bread on the counter.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:
I want to lose weight.
6'3, 252 pounds, mid 30s, estimated 32% body fat, lots of soda, snacks, and a desk job.

My goal is to be 190 pounds and moderately fit (defined by me as quickly ascending 6 flights of stairs without noticing), within a year, starting yesterday.

Had three fried eggs for breakfast with one slice of whole wheat toast and butter.  Normal Sunday morning breakfast.
Lunch was 8 oz venison roast, half an onion, and a couple of cooked carrot slices with a little butter.
Dinner, big salad, 4 cups iceberg lettuce plus one tomato, some celery, some cucumber, some mushrooms, a little cheese, 1 hardboiled egg, three tablespoons ranch dressing.

Ended the day with 51 grams of carbs, 83 grams of fat, and 123 grams of protein, for a total of 1454 calories according to the Samsung Health app  I measured .

I woke up hungry.  4 pieces of bacon, one large sautéed mushroom and three fried eggs for breakfast this morning were marginal at removing the hunger.

How long does it last?

I'm not committed to Keto
, but think it will be best if I cook my food instead of eating what we normally eat.  My wife cooks a lot of grain and legumes, and there is a fresh loaf of homemade English muffin bread on the counter.

View Quote

No offence, but this probably isn't your thread.   For most of us, this isn't a temporary "diet", it's a lifestyle.  It's the way we eat.   I don't eat refined grains and sugar, because they're bad for me.  I avoid starches because they're bad for me.  I eat lots and lots of calories, most of which comes from different kinds of fats.

It sounds like you're trying the old "I'll cut my calories" to lose weight.  Which is great, if it works for you, but that's not what keto is.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:52:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#32]
I want to lose weight.

Dinner, big salad, 4 cups iceberg lettuce plus one tomato, some celery, some cucumber, some mushrooms, a little cheese, 1 hardboiled egg, three tablespoons ranch dressing(not all ranch dressing is equal, some have sugars).

I'm not committed to Keto, but think it will be best if I cook my food instead of eating what we normally eat.  My wife cooks a lot of grain and legumes, and there is a fresh loaf of homemade English muffin bread on the counter.

View Quote

You are still eating way too many carbs.

Cut out all the carbs you can for a week. 20g should be your max
If you can't do that for a week, then this diet isn't for you. It involves re learning how/what to eat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#33]

I want to lose weight.

How long does it last?

View Quote
That toast. Cut it out. That coffee creamer is sugar, stop it. You need to eat more fat, fat satiates hunger.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:12:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jchewie1] [#34]

If you can't do that for a week, then this diet isn't for you. It involves re learning how/what to eat.
View Quote

Thank you, that is a very helpful indicator.
I did not set out yesterday morning to start a Keto diet.  I started tracking in the afternoon.
The toast and creamer was half of the 50, and is now gone.
Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing has 1.5 grams sugars in three tablespoons.

I'm at 5 grams carbohydrates so far today with the mushroom.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#35]

No offence, but this probably isn't your thread.   For most of us, this isn't a temporary "diet", it's a lifestyle.  It's the way we eat.   I don't eat refined grains and sugar, because they're bad for me.  I avoid starches because they're bad for me.  I eat lots and lots of calories, most of which comes from different kinds of fats.

It sounds like you're trying the old "I'll cut my calories" to lose weight.  Which is great, if it works for you, but that's not what keto is.
View All Quotes

How long does it last?

, but think it will be best if I cook my food instead of eating what we normally eat.  My wife cooks a lot of grain and legumes, and there is a fresh loaf of homemade English muffin bread on the counter.

Understood.

I do not have a health condition to manage such as diabetes or epilepsy that requires strict carbohydrate management.
I like my wife's cooking.  It is heavy in grain, legumes, and starches.  I could eat some variation of black beans and rice for the rest of my life.  She makes good homemade bread too.
My goal is to lose the spare tire and flab.  At 6'3", I'll be there or very close when I can comfortably button a 16.5 inch shirt around my neck and snug up a tie.

I already know that the "old I'll cut my calories" approach will likely NOT succeed in losing weight without cooking my own food and carefully tracking calories and macronutrients.
Pass the black beans and rice, I want seconds.  And the cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado and cilantro.  Follow it up with only half a cup of ice cream for dessert.

Reading this thread has left me with the impression that significant sustained weight loss is possible without significant sustained hunger.
This is my primary draw to keto.
If that is inaccurate, please let me know.
Like I said, I'm not committed to Keto.
If it isn't for me, I'll take a closer look at paleo or just plan to be hungry while counting calories, because I am going to lose 60 pounds.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:58:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CBags04] [#36]

I did not set out yesterday morning to start a Keto diet.  I started tracking in the afternoon.

View All Quotes

Easy on that ranch, as those aren't good fats in there. Vegetable oils(Corn, soybean, canola) should be avoided when you can.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Reading this thread has left me with the impression that significant sustained weight loss is possible without significant sustained hunger.
If it isn't for me, I'll take a closer look at paleo or just plan to be hungry while counting calories, because I am going to lose 60 pounds.

View Quote

It took me a week of being very strict with my carbs to get over the hunger urges. Now a lot of days I eat because my brain mentally wants food at 3 set times a day. I've gotten busy and gone the whole day without eating, and not being hungry. A lot of people are fasting with no issues 2 days a week. You can do this diet without getting physically hungry. It all depends on why you eat (hunger or mental?) and being disciplined enough to stay off the carbs. I know this is a long thread but I highly recommend reading the entire thing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Thoughts?

I use krill oil. I have a physical scheduled in a few weeks, I'll let you know if it helps.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Down to 210. So 36 pounds gone total.
30 more to go to make my goal weight of 180.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Understood.

I do not have a health condition to manage such as diabetes or epilepsy that requires strict carbohydrate management.

I like my wife's cooking.  It is heavy in grain, legumes, and starches.  I could eat some variation of black beans and rice for the rest of my life.  She makes good homemade bread too.

My goal is to lose the spare tire and flab.  At 6'3", I'll be there or very close when I can comfortably button a 16.5 inch shirt around my neck and snug up a tie.

I already know that the "old I'll cut my calories" approach will likely NOT succeed in losing weight without cooking my own food and carefully tracking calories and macronutrients.

Pass the black beans and rice, I want seconds.  And the cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado and cilantro.  Follow it up with only half a cup of ice cream for dessert.

View All Quotes

How long does it last?

Understood.

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, it's one of the reasons the keto diet was so appealing to me. Having said that I am 42 years old and this isn't my first rodeo with dropping weight. When I was right around 30 I had topped out at 6'2" and 283 lbs. I was active, I worked outside in the heat for 12-15 hours a day and I was still fat. I had not even heard of keto at that point so I increased my exercise and stopped eating much of anything. I was miserable, but I dropped 40 lbs over the course of a year.

I gained half of it back when my wife got pregnant with our first. After a year or two we got serious about dieting the old fashioned way due to a contest at work. I got $100 a month to meet my weight goal and I did, every month, without fail. Because I am a competitive bastard and I was not going to lose, even if that meant that I didn't eat for 2-3 days before a weigh in. I dropped another 43lbs and managed to keep it somewhat under control for a few years.

Went to the doc last year for my physical at 256lbs and pre-diabetes with high triglycerides and bad cholesterol. I was on multiple drugs and they wanted to put me on another for the diabetes. I decided to get a second opinion. The doc asked me if I was incapable of controlling myself. A real WTF moment for me. She said if you can control yourself, fix yourself and don't get on the drug carousel.

I started exercising, still ate crap, because I thought I could. Nope, I dropped 4-5lbs working out every other day for 6 months. I was in great shape but had really made no physical changes. Then I started reading this thread and I decided, what the hell, I'll give it a whirl.

I started July 7th when I got back from vacation and as of this morning I weighed 231lbs. With almost zero hunger and craving beyond the induction phase. Food doesn't control me any more. I have a physical scheduled for October 18th and I'll update this thread with the results. I imagine that I will be in a damn sight better place physically than I was a year ago. I just wish that I had switched over to keto 6 months sooner.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Your health is worth it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 96Ag:

<snip>... The doc asked me if I was incapable of controlling myself. A real WTF moment for me. She said if you can control yourself, fix yourself and don't get on the drug carousel.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Your health is worth it.

View Quote

I applaud your doctor.  I think docs should take a hardline with patients headed towards diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and dementia.  Maybe if more "healthcare" providers would do this we wouldn't be spending trillions of dollars a year keeping as many chronically sick, old people limping along with pills and procedures.  

Good for her, and good for you, for listening to her.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3one5] [#42]

Yes
Plus liver is primed
View All Quotes

Yes
Plus liver is primed

Your muscles and liver still have glycogen while in ketosis.  Glycogen is restored with the fat and protein you're eating.  Carbs are not required to replenish glycogen.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Your muscles and liver still have glycogen while in ketosis.  Glycogen is restored with the fat and protein you're eating.  Carbs are not required to replenish glycogen.
View All Quotes

Yes
Plus liver is primed

Well I seriously over indulged this weekend. My daughter turned 3 so I went old school. Nachos, pizza, soda, blizzard cake, birthday cake, pancakes, sausage Mcmuffin with eggs. Gained 2.6 lbs.

At risk of turning this into a poop thread I've noticed that the carbs really change my digestive form. Went from nice and firm to loose. But, the biggest thing is it stinks. While on keto I don't seem to experience the bathroom clearing smell that is prevalent while eating carbs. Maybe it's just me.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:04:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jchewie1] [#44]
View Quote

Bacon and eggs for breakfast.
Pepperoni for a mid morning snack
Made a mistake and ate a handful of fresh green beans right before lunch without thinking.
Lunch was already going or I would have adjusted - onion, mushroom, green pepper, and venison sautéed in the bacon grease.
Dinner was a large baked chicken thigh with skin on a spinach and lettuce salad with cheese and ranch dressing.
Had some more pepperoni an hour ago because I was hungry.

Picked up an inexpensive kitchen scale, some cream, some coconut milk, some spinach, and requested a book from the library.
Ended the day with about 23 grams of carbs, 108 grams of fat, and 121 grams of protein for a total of about 1540 calories.

Working on a menu to get more fat and less protein.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Made a mistake and ate a handful of fresh green beans right before lunch without thinking.
Lunch was already going or I would have adjusted - onion, mushroom, green pepper, and venison sautéed in the bacon grease.
Dinner was a large baked chicken thigh with skin on a spinach and lettuce salad with cheese and ranch dressing.

Picked up an inexpensive kitchen scale, some cream, some coconut milk, some spinach, and requested a book from the library.
Ended the day with about 23 grams of carbs, 108 grams of fat, and 121 grams of protein for a total of about 1540 calories.

View All Quotes

Fresh green beans ( in the hull ) aren't horrible because of the fiber content.  You just have to watch your total carbs.  Dark leaf greens will keep you under the 20 grams of carbs per day easily and they provide some good nutrients.  If it grows beneath the ground, avoid it, radish being an exception.

Atkins approved food list
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Not bad. As beans go, green beans are pretty good. They're actually one of my go-to quick vegetables.

I don't see anything wrong with lunch either.

Salad dressings: pay attention to sugars. A lot of them are loaded.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Fresh green beans ( in the hull ) aren't horrible because of the fiber content.  You just have to watch your total carbs.  Dark leaf greens will keep you under the 20 grams of carbs per day easily and they provide some good nutrients.  If it grows beneath the ground, avoid it, radish being an exception.

View All Quotes

Lunch was already going or I would have adjusted - onion, mushroom, green pepper, and venison saut&eacute;ed in the bacon grease.

We roast radishes now instead of potatoes. Toss in olive oil, kosher salt, poultry seasoning, black pepper, garlic powder, spread on baking sheet @400 till browning, about 30+ minutes
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Well I seriously over indulged this weekend. My daughter turned 3 so I went old school. Nachos, pizza, soda, blizzard cake, birthday cake, pancakes, sausage Mcmuffin with eggs. Gained 2.6 lbs.

At risk of turning this into a poop thread I've noticed that the carbs really change my digestive form. Went from nice and firm to loose. But, the biggest thing is it stinks. While on keto I don't seem to experience the bathroom clearing smell that is prevalent while eating carbs. Maybe it's just me.

View All Quotes

Yes
Plus liver is primed

They call it "carbage" because it fills up your digestive track.  When in ketosis that bacteria and such in your digestive system used for digesting carbs are reduced so it slows things down even further.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: davisac] [#49]
A strict diet can reverse type 2 diabetes in weeks. Sound too hard? Your alternative is to live the rest of your life with insulin injections, blood sugar monitoring, and high risks of cancer, heart disease and amputations. A new diet can save you from a lifetime of misery and an early death.

Blue Cross Blue Shield appears to be spreading just the opposite message.

In a new Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina commercial, “Hannah” works out in front of a Rogue rig. She stops working out, then eats an ice cream sundae inside the box.

Why would a diabetic stop eating the foods that caused her life-threatening disease when she can eat ice cream and stay sick?

“It’s just diabetes,” Hannah assures us.

Here’s a free concept for your next video, Blue Cross Blue Shield: “Felipe” finishes his jog and lights up a Marlboro. Hey, it’s just lung cancer.

LINK
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Looking for a fat bomb recipe that uses cream cheese, coconut oil, peanut butter, and 100% cocoa powder as the main ingredients.  I thought I had printed it out but searching has not come across the same recipe.  Anyone remember this one or something close?  I finally got a silicon mold to pour into.
Page / 349
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top