BCM
User Panel

Page / 350
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CBags04:
Easy on that ranch, as those aren't good fats in there. Vegetable oils(Corn, soybean, canola) should be avoided when you can.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jchewie1:
Originally Posted By Tim_McBride:

You are still eating way too many carbs.

Cut out all the carbs you can for a week. 20g should be your max
If you can't do that for a week, then this diet isn't for you. It involves re learning how/what to eat.

Thank you, that is a very helpful indicator.
I did not set out yesterday morning to start a Keto diet.  I started tracking in the afternoon.
The toast and creamer was half of the 50, and is now gone.
Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing has 1.5 grams sugars in three tablespoons.

I'm at 5 grams carbohydrates so far today with the mushroom.
Easy on that ranch, as those aren't good fats in there. Vegetable oils(Corn, soybean, canola) should be avoided when you can.  

I make homemade mayo and add the spice packets. The premixed shelf stable stuff is crap in comparison.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Tangotag:
Looking for a fat bomb recipe that uses cream cheese, coconut oil, peanut butter, and 100% cocoa powder as the main ingredients.  I thought I had printed it out but searching has not come across the same recipe.  Anyone remember this one or something close?  I finally got a silicon mold to pour into.
View Quote

Change the cream cheese with butter
http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/chocolate-fat-bombs/

I also use about 1.5 times the peanut butter and I also double the stevia.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:31:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jchewie1] [#3]
Finished the day with about 19 grams of carbohydrates, 130 grams of fat, and 60 grams of protein for about 1480 calories.
I am far less hungry today all day than the last two days.  A little woozy around lunch.  I had some extra water and it hasn't been a problem since.
I have dropped eight pounds of water weight in two days.

Had three hardboiled eggs for breakfast before leaving the house.  I frequently used to eat a couple of hardboiled eggs and an apple or two for breakfast.

At work I added a quarter cup of coconut milk and a tablespoon of butter to three cups of coffee.  Then again to another three cups of coffee.  I sip coffee at work normally between starting and lunch, so no big change there.  I will leave the coconut milk out tomorrow however.  I think it is leaving a metallic taste in my mouth.

I had chicken, cheese, and ranch on lettuce and spinach for lunch.  Same as last night.  Tasty.

My wife made low carb (hopefully, depending on the chicken stock) cream of chicken soup for dinner.  It was ok, but I think it would have been better without coconut milk, or maybe a little thicker with curry spices.  I had the metallic coconut taste after eating again.  I have no way of knowing how many grams of carbohydrates were in the chicken stock she used.  She makes it herself from a chicken carcass and skin, and generally puts in two onions, two or three celery stalks, and a couple of carrots in 8 quarts of water.  It simmers for two days.  She adds some water but it reduces to between 5 and 6 quarts of rich broth.  The vegetable solids get strained out with the bones, but I assume the sugars are pretty much out of the vegetables and dissolved in the water.  Maybe 60 grams of carbohydrates for the pot, somewhere between 10 and 15 per quart, 3 to 4 grams per cup.  Sound close?

Breakfast tomorrow is going to be three eggs again plus coffee.
I have bratwurst with a few sautéed onions cooked up for lunch tomorrow.

ETA. straight derp at bedtime.  3 chewable antacids, mostly sugars.  Not sure how many additional grams of carbohydrates this added.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:

I make homemade mayo and add the spice packets. The premixed shelf stable stuff is crap in comparison.
View Quote

We will try this.  One of my sons has a mild soy allergy.  We do not feed him mayo or just about all salad dressings
What spice packets are you using?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd drop the peanut butter completely. It's a legume, not a nut. Try almond butter instead (but read the label to make sure, and remember it has a lot of carbs still).

As far as fish oil capsules go, there are some with a coating, forget what the coating is called, but starts with a E, that prevent the "fish burps"
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
I'd drop the peanut butter completely. It's a legume, not a nut. Try almond butter instead (but read the label to make sure, and remember it has a lot of carbs still).

As far as fish oil capsules go, there are some with a coating, forget what the coating is called, but starts with a E, that prevent the "fish burps"
View Quote

Enteric?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Looking for a fat bomb recipe that uses cream cheese, coconut oil, peanut butter, and 100% cocoa powder as the main ingredients.  I thought I had printed it out but searching has not come across the same recipe.  Anyone remember this one or something close?  I finally got a silicon mold to pour into.
View All Quotes

I have been using this recipe posted by Ashraam here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1847413__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Atkins_diet_.html&page=5

Peanut Butter Fat Bombs are the answer you seek.  

My wife found the recipe, but if you search "fat bombs" there are tons of different ideas. These are our favorite because they're a bit like Reese's cups.

2 TBS coconut oil
2 TBS grassfed butter
4 TBS peanut butter
3 TSP cocoa powder
3 packets stevia
1 TSP vanilla extract
1.5 TBS cream cheese
Mixed all together ingredient and put in the microwave for 30 sec & stir it very well and if need more dissolved put in the microwave again 15 to 30 sec then pour into mini cup cake size then put in the freeze at least 30 mins.

SERVING: 12
Per serving
Fat: 7.34
Net carbs: 1.34
Protein: 1.5
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By davisac:
https://youtu.be/T0-910jouhg
View All Quotes

A strict diet can reverse type 2 diabetes in weeks. Sound too hard? Your alternative is to live the rest of your life with insulin injections, blood sugar monitoring, and high risks of cancer, heart disease and amputations. A new diet can save you from a lifetime of misery and an early death.

Blue Cross Blue Shield appears to be spreading just the opposite message.

In a new Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina commercial, "Hannah” works out in front of a Rogue rig. She stops working out, then eats an ice cream sundae inside the box.

Why would a diabetic stop eating the foods that caused her life-threatening disease when she can eat ice cream and stay sick?

"It’s just diabetes,” Hannah assures us.

Here’s a free concept for your next video, Blue Cross Blue Shield: "Felipe” finishes his jog and lights up a Marlboro. Hey, it’s just lung cancer.

LINK

https://youtu.be/T0-910jouhg

Terrible message to put out in a commercial.  While no doubt there have been people who have reversed T2D and could probably eat some ice cream after a workout, I bet the majority of people would just use that as the green light to have a little sweets here, a little there, and before you know it they are out of control again.

She also looks to be in her 30's, so she has a youthful metabolism on her side.  The game changes once you hit 50.

At least they should have made the commercial to have her eat the sweets before the workout, which is better from a metabolic standpoint.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I started the keto diet 5 days ago.  It definitely helps.  I've had trouble finding a diet where I could cut down the calories but still feel like I actually ate something.  It seems like I'm eating the same stuff as before only cutting out the carbs, which I don't seem to miss, for the most part.  

The only real problem I'm having is cutting the sugar out of my coffee.

This thread got me started.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By whollyshite:
I started the keto diet 5 days ago.  It definitely helps.  I've had trouble finding a diet where I could cut down the calories but still feel like I actually ate something.  It seems like I'm eating the same stuff as before only cutting out the carbs, which I don't seem to miss, for the most part.  

View Quote

I refuse to drink non-sweet coffee.  https://www.amazon.com/SweetLeaf-Liquid-Stevia-Sweetener-Vanilla/dp/B000E8WIAS/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1475067508&sr=8-1&keywords=vanilla%2Bstevia%2Bliquid&th=1
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Qweevox:
I applaud your doctor.  I think docs should take a hardline with patients headed towards diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and dementia.  Maybe if more "healthcare" providers would do this we wouldn't be spending trillions of dollars a year keeping as many chronically sick, old people limping along with pills and procedures.  

Good for her, and good for you, for listening to her.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Qweevox:

Originally Posted By 96Ag:
<snip>... The doc asked me if I was incapable of controlling myself. A real WTF moment for me. She said if you can control yourself, fix yourself and don't get on the drug carousel.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Your health is worth it.

I applaud your doctor.  I think docs should take a hardline with patients headed towards diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and dementia.  Maybe if more "healthcare" providers would do this we wouldn't be spending trillions of dollars a year keeping as many chronically sick, old people limping along with pills and procedures.  

Good for her, and good for you, for listening to her.

I agree completely on the hardline. I think you have alluded to it as "sick care" and not "healthcare" and there are going to be real consequences for it in the next 10-15 years.

The doc is a hoot and she is the wife of a career Air Force man if I remember correctly, her bluntness was appreciated at that point in my life.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OnlineAllTheTime:

I refuse to drink non-sweet coffee.  https://www.amazon.com/SweetLeaf-Liquid-Stevia-Sweetener-Vanilla/dp/B000E8WIAS/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1475067508&sr=8-1&keywords=vanilla%2Bstevia%2Bliquid&th=1

I use the liquid Splenda. I like my coffee like my women, pale and artificially sweet.

(My BIL came up with that line on vacation one year and I have used it ever since)
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#13]

I use the liquid Splenda. I like my coffee like my women, pale and artificially sweet.

(My BIL came up with that line on vacation one year and I have used it ever since)
View All Quotes

That's crazy because as we were getting into bed last night we were wishing we wouldn't have had such large slices of cheesecake (Keto) and he said, "It was good though.  And just like you-----sweet and dense."  

I'm pale too.  My sweetness is authentic though.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#14]
And I'm really glad you brought that up because I meant to put it on FB this morning but totally forgot about it until you wrote that.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Progress continues!

16lbs in 31 days.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Ditch the sugar like you should, and the splenda too (it's not healthy either). Use honey to sweeten your coffee. At least it's natural.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Ditch the sugar like you should, and the splenda too (it's not healthy either). Use honey to sweeten your coffee. At least it's natural.
View Quote

Natural it may be, but it's filled with sugar carbs. Looking at nutrition info, honey is worse for keto than sugar (at least by volume). It'll probably kick you right out of keto, whereas Splenda may not. *

* I've seen several internet arguments on whether you can use sucralose on keto, and the best answer I've seen is "maybe."
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Zirak:

Natural it may be, but it's filled with sugar carbs. Looking at nutrition info, honey is worse for keto than sugar (at least by volume). It'll probably kick you right out of keto, whereas Splenda may not. *

* I've seen several internet arguments on whether you can use sucralose on keto, and the best answer I've seen is "maybe."
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zirak:

The only natural no-carb sweetener on the market is the stevia leaf.  

But you have to buy the 100% (no other shit added) stevia.  A lot of the stuff on grocery store shelves that's labeled "stevia" has other artificial sweeteners in it.  So you have to read the ingredient labels.

Personally, while I've used it in the past, I don't use any sweeteners, I'm not sure any of them are "healthy".  But if I were to use one, it'd be 100% stevia leaf.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:24:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bryan_Aim] [#19]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I really like fresh vegetables and good fresh fruit.  I do miss those.
I am down 12 pounds three days in, guessing mostly water.
1500 ish calorie intake per day. Today I woke up a little hungry, but haven't been hungry since breakfast at all.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
Progress continues!

16lbs in 31 days.

<a href="http://s213.photobucket.com/user/kallnojoy/media/312d9364-94d8-44bc-8cd2-251e587b91e3_zpsetliw72q.png.html" target="_blank">http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/kallnojoy/312d9364-94d8-44bc-8cd2-251e587b91e3_zpsetliw72q.png</a>

View Quote

Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#22]

We will try this.  One of my sons has a mild soy allergy.  We do not feed him mayo or just about all salad dressings
View All Quotes

i used hidden valley powdered stuff for a while, until i noticed the first ingredient was maltodextrin.  
searched google for about 30 seconds before i gave up and just assumed that it's some sort of sugar.  
nutrition label says 0 carbs 0 calorie, but with 1/4tsp as the serving size, it'd be very easy for them to sneak some sugar in there without having to put it on the label.

now i just make it wholly from scratch.  once you figure out a recipe that works for you it's super easy and quick.  
I'll normally use 2 parts homemade avocado oil mayo to 1 part sour cream, add garlic powder onion powder black pepper dried parsley and mccormick's chicago steak seasoning.  
takes about 5 minutes total and i'll get dressing that'll last a long weekend.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#23]

Make your own keto Ranch Dressing

1 cup mayo (...you can make your own)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp pepper

The longer it sits the better the flavors blend.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#24]
This is a noteworthy thread. . . . . . .

This thread and others about KETO LCHF have always started, and sometimes finished, with "skeptics"  criticizing the "diet" as a fad, the latest craze, and asking how could anyone be so stupid as to fall for the hype.

Somehow the bare evidence of people coming in with wonderful success stories chased them out, I guess.

Anyway, congrats to so many of you who are succeeding.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#25]

1500 ish calorie intake per day. Today I woke up a little hungry, but haven't been hungry since breakfast at all.
View All Quotes

Jchewie, if you can stay with the plan for a week or two you'll probably have to force yourself to eat.  Keto isn't for everyone.  Paleo works for my wife but I'm in the type2 club.  It snuck up on me in my 50s and from what I've read, that's not uncommon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Starting at 300lbs I am down 29 pounds in 7 weeks, of my overall 100 loss goal, thinking it could be done without logging food but things seemed off a little so a few days ago I started using MyFitnessPal.
I'm 271lbs and my macros are 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat with 2290 calories.  Over the last couple days I only hit about 50% of the fat goal and protein about maxes and the carbs net in under 20g.  I think most days doing this have been about  1200-1500 calories a day.  Yesterday minus exercise it says I should have consumed 1200 more calories.
Did I load the macros and calories correctly?  How do you guys get the fat level way up like I'm missing? I'm eating fatty foods and adding a fat bomb each day.
Are the calories supposed to be that high for someone my current weight? Obviously the fat, protein, fiber based intake is masking any heavy hunger of being caloric deficient.
Thanks for the help.
T
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Starting at 300lbs I am down 29 pounds in 7 weeks, of my overall 100 loss goal, thinking it could be done without logging food but things seemed off a little so a few days ago I started using MyFitnessPal.

I'm 271lbs and my macros are 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat with 2290 calories.  Over the last couple days I only hit about 50% of the fat goal and protein about maxes and the carbs net in under 20g.  I think most days doing this have been about  1200-1500 calories a day.  Yesterday minus exercise it says I should have consumed 1200 more calories.

Did I load the macros and calories correctly?  How do you guys get the fat level way up like I'm missing? I'm eating fatty foods and adding a fat bomb each day.

Are the calories supposed to be that high for someone my current weight? Obviously the fat, protein, fiber based intake is masking any heavy hunger of being caloric deficient.

Thanks for the help.

T
View Quote

I'm no expert, but I don't think you need to be concerned about a fat macro deficit - its a suggested maximum, not minimum.

Any reasonable deficit in your fat intake should translate into increased fat burn of your stores - assume your body needs the cals.

I pretty much run a fat deficit everyday - I just focus on getting the right protein, restrict carbs and keep the rest clean and nutritious.

Great progress so far!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I wouldn't worry at all about calories.  You have plenty of stored energy to draw from.  Force feeding yourself in an attempt to hit macros is going to be unpleasant and all you're doing is bypassing your body's newly learned ability to regulate itself.  It will tell you what it needs.  Eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not.  Easiest *diet* ever.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Reached my goal of 200 lbs yesterday. Started end of July @ 220. I've lost a bunch of inches also. I have buy a new belt and pants.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By PeaceKeepr:
Reached my goal of 200 lbs yesterday. Started end of July @ 220. I've lost a bunch of inches also. I have buy a new belt and pants.
View Quote

I started at about 220 roughly 3 weeks ago. Down to 206, but I splurged a day and went up to 207 . Time for more fasting!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By Freyr:
I started at about 220 roughly 3 weeks ago. Down to 206, but I splurged a day and went up to 207 . Time for more fasting!
View All Quotes

Keep at it!

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Keep at it!  
View All Quotes

Keep at it!  

Oh I am! You're right about the belt and pants though. I'm down 3 notches in the belt, and by 38" pants fit like parachutes now
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Another thing that has been interesting with this diet.
For 50 years I have been anemic Dr says I'm cured now and he says I need to start regularly giving blood.
I was told all my life it was genetic and could not be fixed.
Keto wins again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I love this diet, it's so easy and natural for me.  Ideally I would lose some more fat and put on some more muscle, but this is where I'm at without trying, other than sticking to the basic guidelines.  Even when my parents visited a few weeks ago I only gained 3-4 lbs by increasing carbs for a week (they were buying most of the food), and lost it over the next week by cutting carbs back out.  I'm never hungry and I enjoy what I do eat.

I'm 52 and 6' tall, so around 194 consistently is a good place to be.  WAY better than the 237 that I started out at.  Basically 40 lbs of fat lost in 6 months by doing nothing other than cutting out crap carbs.  38" relaxed fit jeans didn't want to fasten then, and now 35" relaxed fit jeans want to fall off.  I  need a smaller belt and might have to try on some 34's...  I'm between 193 and 195 every morning that I do weigh so I haven't even been updating my weight since it's been about the same for so long.  Focusing on other things right now but maintaining the lifestyle, and well see where I end up.  It's certainly the best thing that I've done for myself so far this year.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok i think it is time to start trying keto, I need to lose about 120 lbs. Been overweight since I was child which led to me having uveitis which I have been struggling with ever since.Went to the doc for a routine check up 2 wks ago and they just called to inform me that my liver function was at 106.Which is a kick in the ass to get moving......soooo
What are some good websites or books? Excercise and eating routines/schedules? I am looking for anything to really help me get started so any tips will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By theleadfarmer1911:
Ok i think it is time to start trying keto, I need to lose about 120 lbs. Been overweight since I was child which led to me having uveitis which I have been struggling with ever since.Went to the doc for a routine check up 2 wks ago and they just called to inform me that my liver function was at 106.Which is a kick in the ass to get moving......soooo
What are some good websites or books? Excercise and eating routines/schedules? I am looking for anything to really help me get started so any tips will be much appreciated.
Thanks
View Quote

Cook for the week. I normally use recipes from ruled.me
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks
View Quote
In no particular order:

Keto recipe thread here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_163/1869661_Keto_lifestyle_recipe_thread_.html

Good website with starter info and tons of recipes:  http://www.ruled.me/

Exercise is not really necessary especially if you are that much overweight, if you can take a 20-30 minute walk a day that would be great.  I would not suggest trying anything like running until you loose some weight.  If that is something you want to do it is much easier on the knees and joints when you are closer to a normal weight for your height.

Get some ketone test strips from your pharmacy or Amazon.  You will use these to verify that you are in ketosis and that you stay in ketosis for a while.

Keep your carbs under 20 per day for a few days until you get into ketosis.  Keep carbs low to stay there.  Eat as much meat, fish, fowl, eggs, and green leafy vegetables as you want.  Stay away from starches and sugars.  Use healthy oils, stay away from canola and vegetable oils, use avocado oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and butter.

Read the label on everything.  That beef jerky you would think has no carbs sometimes has more than you think.

Get a good whole food chromium supplement, as that is the mineral that helps your body process glucose.

I'm sure I am missing some stuff, others will chime in.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Ras_Thavas:
In no particular order:

Keto recipe thread here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_163/1869661_Keto_lifestyle_recipe_thread_.html

Exercise is not really necessary especially if you are that much overweight, if you can take a 20-30 minute walk a day that would be great.  I would not suggest trying anything like running until you loose some weight.  If that is something you want to do it is much easier on the knees and joints when you are closer to a normal weight for your height.

Get some ketone test strips from your pharmacy or Amazon.  You will use these to verify that you are in ketosis and that you stay in ketosis for a while.

Keep your carbs under 20 per day for a few days until you get into ketosis.  Keep carbs low to stay there.  Eat as much meat, fish, fowl, eggs, and green leafy vegetables as you want.  Stay away from starches and sugars.  Use healthy oils, stay away from canola and vegetable oils, use avocado oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and butter.

Read the label on everything.  That beef jerky you would think has no carbs sometimes has more than you think.

Get a good whole food chromium supplement, as that is the mineral that helps your body process glucose.

Good luck!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ras_Thavas:
Thanks
In no particular order:

Good luck!

Leadfarmer, you just need to start absorbing info from everywhere!  Start with youtube.  You'll have to sort out the BS (Bro Science) from the serious folks.

Search youtube for

Keto Down Under

Lo Carb Vail

Watch those lectures.

then prepare for a few days of down time as you transition-- if you're 120 overweight, you are almost certainly insulin resistant and addicted to sugar/carbs.  

Lots of stuff on battling the "keto flu."  It's not a certainly but a likelihood for you.  Combat it with lots of water and chicken broth-- full salt.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:36:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NE223] [#39]
Another site. I started by reading some of their work, some of it is pretty deep, deeper than I wanted to go but at least gives you some background.

http://www.artandscienceoflowcarb.com

I had problems with the Keto Flu, it sucked but if you drink plenty of water and just gut it out, it doesn't last that long.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#40]

That's crazy because as we were getting into bed last night we were wishing we wouldn't have had such large slices of cheesecake (Keto) and he said, "It was good though.  And just like you-----sweet and dense."  

View All Quotes

To be fair 97Ag's is authentic as well, that's why it makes a good joke.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

So is anthrax

Honey and coffee don't sound like a good match. With the incredibly minimal amount of usage I am not going to worry about it. I should worry about wearing sunscreen more regularly if I want to reduce health risks in a significant way.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#42]

So is anthrax

Honey and coffee don't sound like a good match. With the incredibly minimal amount of usage I am not going to worry about it. I should worry about wearing sunscreen more regularly if I want to reduce health risks in a significant way.
View All Quotes

So is anthrax

Some people put a spoonful of coconut oil in their coffee instead. I'm not a coffee drinker, so take that FWIW.

For the person looking for info, you and also look along the lines of Paleo and Primal (same thing). The difference with Keto is that you are staying very low on carbs, but you'll want to follow the guidelines. "It stars with food"is a good book to learn to kick start it with a 30 day period, and makes it easy to get into keto and stay there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's another gem from Blue Cross Blue Shield NC:

After we exposed them for promoting sugar to children and diabetics yesterday, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina commented twice.

Below is one BCBSNC comment in its entirety. See what you think:

“Here at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, we feel very proud of your work towards keeping our diabetic citizens healthy. It’s only with initiatives like yours that the country can achieve its goal of being an overall healthy nation.

We wanted to address your comments regarding our new diabetes campaign ‘Let nothing stop you’. As you mention in your blog the complications of diabetes can be deadly, and as such the advertising for diabetes management has always been somber and serious.

Our intention with this campaign was to fight that stereotype, to give diabetics this message of empowerment: if you take good care of your condition, if you are disciplined and well-informed, your life does not have to be a nightmare. You can even enjoy a beer or some chocolate.

We think it is important that diabetes patients feel like managing their condition is not an impossible task or an unbearable burden. We want them to know that the challenges they face have been defeated by others and there is plenty of information that can help them get through it.

If you go to the site http://www.livingwithdiabetesnc.com, you will find that we are both communicating similar information: tips about prevention and management, and useful information for those who suffer from diabetes. We decided that diabetics are no longer going to be portrayed as sad or dying people, because they are not. They are functional, happy members of our community, and their happiness and wellbeing is always our main objective.”

Is the “wellbeing” of diabetics truly the “main objective” for Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina? Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and check out livingwithdiabetesnc.com.

The front page shows a diabetic eating candy....

Full Article
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Diabetics can manage the disease well enough while eating almost nothing but carbs to stop taking meds .

https://rawfoodsos.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/#kempner

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
Diabetics can manage the disease well enough while eating almost nothing but carbs to stop taking meds .

https://rawfoodsos.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/#kempner

View Quote

So if all I eat is:

White rice
Fruit
Fruit juice
Refined table sugar
In some cases, vitamin supplements (A, D, thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin)

Will I feel full or sick by the end of the day?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I wonder how my overall health would be after I was "cured."

And...

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/thoughts-on-the-kempner-rice-diet/
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:03:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#47]

And...

View All Quotes

And...

Here's my view on it.  Which diet looks more "natural" for humans?  Which one is the most similar to the one which humans have eaten for most of history?

My "diet" consists of meat, fish, vegetables, nuts, and fruit.   ....radical I know.

Some days I eat more animal based fat, some days I get most of my fat from plants and nuts.   It varies  ...just like it's been for most of human history.    I eat fruit, mostly berries, because I enjoy them, but I'll eat apples, pears, peaches, and melons.   The thing is I only eat those once in a "blue moon".  In other words, I rarely eat them, I don't consistently eat them.   Which is also inline with the way humans have eaten fruits throughout their existence on Earth.  Fruits and berries are "seasonally available", it's a relatively recent development that fruits have been available year round.  

I don't really like to say I eat "Keto" or "Paleo", I just call it eating "normal".  

Daily fruit consumption is not "normal".  Refined sugar is not "normal".  Refined grains are not "normal".  Heavily processed, pre-packaged food is not "normal".  I don't eat things that aren't "normal".    

With that said, to each his own.  I think we all have to find our own way, my way isn't going to work for everyone.  But it works for me.  I'm middle-aged, I take no medication, have no health problems.  My blood labs look fantastic, my resting heart rate is in the 40's, and I feel good.  

I like my "normal" diet.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#48]

And...

View All Quotes

And...

Yeah I wasn't even going to touch that shitshow of an blog touting 1930s-70s research. I'm pretty sure shit like Kempners research would be taught to college sophomores on how not to properly design a study.

Many people that have no concept of experimental design or background in science are easily jaded by what they are told, it's cute.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Geohans:
This is a noteworthy thread. . . . . . .

This thread and others about KETO LCHF have always started, and sometimes finished, with "skeptics"  criticizing the "diet" as a fad, the latest craze, and asking how could anyone be so stupid as to fall for the hype.

Somehow the bare evidence of people coming in with wonderful success stories chased them out, I guess.

Anyway, congrats to so many of you who are succeeding.
View Quote

I started 6./15./16.  I've lost 45 lbs since.  I haven't had this low of a weight in 20 years.  I almost never feel hungry.  When I do, I have a big can of mixed nuts.  I know some nuts have carbs, but a small quantity seems to satisfy my (mild) hunger.

It has been almost painless.  I've made zucchini noodles and have tried cauliflower rice.  I can eat about the same things I did before, I just have to substitute ingredients.  I even had a hot fudge sundae -- Halo Top ice cream and sugar-free fudge.

My only regret is that I didn't do it YEARS ago.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Tim_McBride:

You are still eating way too many carbs.

Cut out all the carbs you can for a week. 20g should be your max

If you can't do that for a week, then this diet isn't for you. It involves re learning how/what to eat.

Thank you, that is a very helpful indicator.

I did not set out yesterday morning to start a Keto diet.  I started tracking in the afternoon.

The toast and creamer was half of the 50, and is now gone.

Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing has 1.5 grams sugars in three tablespoons.

I'm at 5 grams carbohydrates so far today with the mushroom.

Add a Tbsp of whey to your mayo recipe.  Let it rest for about 3 hours.  It will be shelf-stable for months.
Page / 350
Top Top