BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You mean... For an agency to follow the law? Why on earth would I expect that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you really expect to get the requested documents within 20 days?

It is a very legitimate question these days.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Some background. Old article...

concerns about the role of the NFATCA, and specifically the relationship of its president with ATF.
“Docket entry ATF-2013-0001-0437 [view] is a public comment submitted by John Brown, apparently the very same John Brown who, as President of National Firearms Act Traders and Collectors Association (‘NFATCA’), submitted the petition to initiate a rulemaking on which ATF purports to base this proceeding,” FICG relates. “Repeated efforts to ascertain from Mr. Brown the details of the incidents as to which he asserts he has knowledge met refusals as he disavowed direct, personal knowledge stating only that as a result of ‘working inside ATF for over 10 years’ he knew things he ‘should never know.’"
“[I]t would thus appear that ATF is itself the source of this information,” FICG infers. “The planting of comments that merely repeat to ATF the very information ATF purports to have but refused to submit to public critique exacerbates the problem of ATF's refusal to provide underlying information.
“Mr. Brown's connection to ATF extends beyond his acknowledgment that the information to which he alluded in his comment came from ATF itself,” FICG continues. “Indeed, as Richard Vasquez -- ATF's Chief of the Firearms Training Branch and previous Assistant and Acting Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch -- testified under oath only last year, Mr. Brown ‘interacted with ATF a lot,’ was a friend since at least 2006, had personally transferred two firearms to him, had transferred firearms to other ATF employees, visited ATF ‘to meet and become personal with a lot of the offices’ over a period of years, and provided him with information to pass along to ATF for ATF's use in a forfeiture proceeding.
“Mr. Brown apparently went so far as to forward e-mails he had received from a FFL involved in litigation with ATF to ATF for ATF's use in the litigation against the FFL,” the FICG narrative continues. “Indeed, Mr. Brown was not surprised to be characterized as a ‘confidential source’ for Acting Chief Vasquez and ATF.
“Despite having acquired three machineguns illegally manufactured by George D. Clark, Mr. Brown seems to be the only FFL in that situation that ATF never referred for prosecution,” FICG asserts. “In fact, ATF knowingly left Mr. Brown in possession of that contraband for six weeks and then promptly destroyed that evidence before the completion of prosecutions of other individuals in possession of Mr. Clark's machineguns.
“In addition, during this same time period Mr. Brown, together with the attorney he reportedly hired to prepare the NFATCA petition upon which ATF now relies, hired two 30-year veterans of ATF who simultaneously worked together with ATF to draft the National Firearms Act Handbook.
“ATF seeks to simultaneously prevent any investigation into the incidents to which it makes vague reference in the NPR while ‘planting’ comments in its own docket to give further credence to the incidents,” FICG observes. “The most benign characterization of the relationship between ATF and Mr. Brown (if not his other associates and NFATCA more broadly) would seem to be that ATF established an unauthorized "advisory committee" in violation of the Federal Advisory Committee Act … With respect to discussions relating to the proposal at issue here, either ATF is withholding records of consultations with Mr. Brown and NFATCA in violation of FOIA or ATF failed to create such records in violation of FACA.
“ATF has made a mockery of this proceeding, engaging in numerous tactics designed to deny meaningful public participation,” FICG concludes. “As a result ATF cannot promulgate any final rule that hopes to survive judicial review without starting fresh. In doing so, ATF should consult with a broad cross-section of interests familiar with the laws governing trusts, estates, and business entities rather than a select few.”
View Quote

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2013/12/john-browns-reputation-lies-moulderin.html?m=1
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
In on 4
Nolo you are fighting the good fight and all your fight matter, just don't get burnt out. God speed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
What the hell, in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I know I've said it before NOLO, but USA jobs has constant openings for temporary ATF analysts. You must have an intern who could use some paid research time
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
..... Len Savage....... wait... are you?.... oh, this is gonna be really good.
View Quote

Back story?  I'm lost.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They lose either way.  If they answer they will admit what we suspect or they are guilty of failing gathering those records in the first place.

Either way it seems certain they will be writting checks to Nolo for prevaling wage while we figure it out... And making them explain themselves.

either ATF is withholding records of consultations with Mr. Brown and NFATCA in violation of FOIA or ATF failed to create such records in violation of FACA
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Back story?  I'm lost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back story?  I'm lost.

Google his name, click first story
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Back story?  I'm lost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back story?  I'm lost.

here's a small bit  Essentially Len came up with something Beneficial to NFA owners...and shortly after he testified for a couple of Defendants in NFA cases, BATFE Reversed itself and decided that his conversion wasnt legal after all.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back story?  I'm lost.

Oh holy fuck, there are not words to sufficiently describe the rage that engenders.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh holy fuck, there are not words to sufficiently describe the rage that engenders.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back story?  I'm lost.

The ATF has nightmares about Len Savage.  What's truly scary is, he's not just some phantom monster under the bed.  They fucked with him, they created him, they are now terrified of him... with good reason.  The man is brilliant, cunning, about 30 steps ahead of ATF on their best day, and  unimpeachable.  He is someone that is not to be trifled with as his wit and knowledge surpass any combination that can be fielded by ATF.  He's one of the good guys on our side and he's good people in general.  I guarandamntee you that this is just the tip going in right now.  He's going to legally John Holmes ATF's ass on this before he is done.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]
OST
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The ATF has nightmares about Len Savage.  What's truly scary is, he's not just some phantom monster under the bed.  They fucked with him, they created him, they are now terrified of him... with good reason.  The man is brilliant, cunning, about 30 steps ahead of ATF on their best day, and  unimpeachable.  He is someone that is not to be trifled with as his wit and knowledge surpass any combination that can be fielded by ATF.  He's one of the good guys on our side and he's good people in general.  I guarandamntee you that this is just the tip going in right now.  He's going to legally John Holmes ATF's ass on this before he is done.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back story?  I'm lost.

Assuming they don't just decide to murder him because they can.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't the 20-day window of the Open Government Act define the time-frame by which a government agency is supposed to acknowledge receipt of the request and and whether or not it may be processed?

After that initial acknowledgement there is usually then a time period that is necessary for them to locate potential records- which in the case of complex requests can take a very long time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent a complex request in a year and change ago. Acknowledgement was 8 months later. I had some communications with a contracted attorney in the Disclosure Division and amended my request to make it substantially less burdensome. I have been waiting about 6 or 7 months for the next step.

That said, now, more than ever, federal agencies have been taking there time about honoring requests or even acknowledging them. NPR did a really interesting story about it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#16]
SOFA
KING
IN
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

We've made arrangements for that possibility.  If they were smart, they'd make sure no accidents happened to him at all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
SOFA
KING
IN
View Quote

I'm already in
OST'd above

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back story?  I'm lost.

I dont know who has the worse nightmares about Len, BATFE or NFATCA  You can ALWAYS tell the Association toadies in the comments In Stories about Len.... He DARES to think that NFA should be available to anyone
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Stop nominating NOLO for president, as our opposition has known for a very long time, SCOTUS is the most powerful entity in the world. They strike down whatever they feel like with a mere pen. No President nor Congress dare stand in their way...

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We've made arrangements for that possibility.  If they were smart, they'd make sure no accidents happened to him at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to hear it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#23]
NOLO threads are best threads.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
NOLO threads are best threads.  
View Quote

Troof

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Nolo, you are an asset to us all.

If you ever need a favor that I can deliver, you've got it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#27]
It blows my mind, the NFATCA hasnt been Doxed by now. Their names are public.

Not advocating it by any means. So lets get that straight. But seeing as it's all the rage, it's surprising it hasn't happened yet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Glad to hear it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad to hear it.

Im sad we have to think like that-

And Im surprised they havent killed him yet

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He is running for the NRA board this year.
There is a thread somewhere
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nolo really should be on the board of directors of some pro firearms organization.

He is running for the NRA board this year.
There is a thread somewhere

Sorry for the off topic question. When do the ballots come out and when is the election?
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Who wants to bet Nolo is on ATF's "Most Hated" list?
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, I'm not an expert on them, but I smell the worst elements of subguns in that group...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#35]
If it was possible to have a man crush on the Internet...this would be it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm pretty sure they sell Nolo voodoo dolls in the ATF gift shop.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#37]

I wish you were closer to Michigan or Florida so I could buy you a drink or 30.  Keep up the good work sir!
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm guessing more then 10 letters.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm already in
OST'd above

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SOFA
KING
IN

I'm already in
OST'd above

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I know what thread I'll be masturbating to tonight.

Well done Nolo.
View Quote

Is it weird if we are all doing it?  I'm almost there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#41]
The NFATCA is going to have a booth at the NRA Annual Meeting in Louisville this year.

Stop by booth #3117 and say hi!  Be brutally honest (but civil) to their faces.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#42]
My favorite part of cola warrior wasn't the obstacles or the peeps.  It was sitting back and listening to your exploits and your plans for success and clear understanding of the flaws of the system.  

You should have a pod cast or something.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How do we destroy them, I want to see the memebers of NFATCA pennyless on the street corner sucking dick for money.
That line from saving private Ryan comes to mind, "don't shoot let 'em burn".

I hate elitest.

Can we donate money to the cause?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cliffs noted on who nfatca is and what they're all about?

A group of people who invested in NFA (MGs) who support the ATF and the NFA so that they can protect their special status, and by proxy, their investments.

They also don't think that commoners should have easy access to NFA stuff...only the "right people."

How do we destroy them, I want to see the memebers of NFATCA pennyless on the street corner sucking dick for money.
That line from saving private Ryan comes to mind, "don't shoot let 'em burn".

I hate elitest.

Can we donate money to the cause?

Nolo would be much more effective at that.

HOWEVER

Write letters...NOT FORM LETTERS.  Each letter needs to be unique and the wider of gamut of issues we can cite the harder it will be for them to combine responses when they go to make a decision.  NO emotional stuff.....that just gets blown off.  Stay material.  Stay factual.  Be relevant.  "Mah freedomz" isn't going to cut it.  Find a law, find a policy, find something and cite the shit out of it.  Find data, find other things they have to run down and cite it.

Get people elected that aren't part of the elite.  Get involved at a local level in order to influence who runs so that we have more control over who is put up for election.  If you want control, if you want influence.....you can't start at the top.  You have to start at the bottom, and that means representatives, participants in election boards, etc.  Once we have a foothold in that area, we need to start getting legislation passed at the federal level that directs the ATF to do or not do something.  As long as they have a law that lets or directs them to do something, they will just cite it and ignore us.  If they have a law that directs an action or prevents same.....they can be forced to do it.  If they don't, then it's really up to the way the political wind blows in the agency, the employee, or the office within the agency.

Create groups like the NFATCA, get people in the ears of representatives, in the ear of the agency....just like our enemy.  Get cozy with movers/shakers and nudge them.  That's what the NFATCA is doing......hell, they probably have provided assistance to representatives who want to participate in NFA items do so in return for support, and at the same time....shown them what they have to lose if the NFA goes away.

Another way, and I suspect this is what Nolo is up to....is find something that the NFATCA got the ATF to do is not legal, not permitted, or against policy/regulation within the agency.  Then beat them up with it.  Show who are members, show the ties with the government, and then show how they move/shake and what they got done that is suspect for not being kosher.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Your name is on a 'must worry list'.  Right at the very top."

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#46]
OST
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Wow
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:38:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You rang?

It's long past time to set off with a shovel and a map of buried things.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You rang?

It's long past time to set off with a shovel and a map of buried things.....

Len, you and I should compare notes.  I have a sneaking suspicion that the BATFE is trying to take away my Form 1 hand grenade.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top