Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want a turbo 4cyl.

99 Eclipse GSX
Evolution IX
95 Turbo MR2

If you want something newer, used low mileage Mustang GT, so long as it has the Coyote engine.
View Quote

All of that, junk when I was new, junk today.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Are these really the seats that come in the VW?

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
that's cute. you never drove one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
None of the above
this.

those two cars are not fun.

Lancer Evo. Spend the extra coin for one.

Diamond Star Motors, the hallmark of reliability.

They also have a sideways engine, 90 degree turns in output shafts are no Bueno.

Subaru >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mitsubishi.
that's cute. you never drove one.

Haha, I swear I'm not stalking you.

He's definately never driven an EVO.  I have never been able to throw the steering wheel around in anything like I could in my buddies EVO.

OP, search EVO vs Lambo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

99 Eclipse GSX
Evolution IX
95 Turbo MR2

If you want something newer, used low mileage Mustang GT, so long as it has the Coyote engine.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't imagine the Focus with anything other than the stock 2.0. It's plenty fast. And 41 mpg at 55.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been enjoying the heck out of a 2004 Pontiac Vibe GT. 6sp, 180hp of cheap daily driving fun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Pontiac G8 GXP might be another option. RWD, supercharged LS.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't bother to try and enlighten the idiots. Let them continue to think they're junk. It's not like they own the fastest AWD and RWD 4cyl records.... Or a shit ton of others and have for a long time. Owned mine for 16 years, only broke down once, and it was a direct result of me over tightening the drain on my radiator, which squished out the o-ring enough it pissed out it's coolant on the interstate and ran hot, warped the head. Can't blame the car for that, and it's been good ever since. That said, I keep it well maintained and I'm not trying to make 800-1500whp with it either since it's a street car. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

99 Eclipse GSX
Evolution IX
95 Turbo MR2

Op is asking about a fun small daily driver, not a clapped out 90s project car.

No matter how fast you make them they're miserable cars to drive and require tons of maintenance, and shit bags more to make them as fast as a modem car.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Hence the other suggestions of a G8 GXP or Mustang GT so long as it had the Coyote engine. Hell a C5 Z06 Corvette wouldn't be bad either and in OP price range.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Ford nailed it with their front diff on those cars. Cant go wrong with either st
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]
We have both
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I would vote GTI but it might be a bit over your budget.  It is just a bit more mature and refined IMO. I think  the Focus or Fiesta would be fun cars too though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Focus ST, Fiesta ST, or something else?????

Looking for a small fun to drive car. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Single, no kids so size isn't really an issue.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are these really the seats that come in the VW?

https://downshiftautos.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/volkswagen-gti-seats.jpg
View Quote

Yes it is a homage to a time when German makes like Porsche and VW put tartan patterns on their seats.  You can also get black leather though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

For the millionth time... Good luck finding one, and have fun paying GT350 money for it when you do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New Focus RS. Although I like the lines of the smaller Fiesta too.

For the millionth time... Good luck finding one, and have fun paying GT350 money for it when you do.

I understand and agree....still is a neat looking little machine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got my Fiesta for zero down zero percent. In other words they gave me a free car. $22,000/72 = $305 a month, which comes out to $10.04 a day to drive a brand new 2015 model car. I spend more on food and random bullshit than I do for a brand new model year car.

So naturally I modded the shit out of it but that's not the point.

The point is that this option, a new "economic" car that dealers are giving away is by and far the cheapest, in real and nominal terms due to the zero percent and extremely long financing period, and zero down payment.

Then you do the extended warranty trick and get the dealer to finance the first 6 month of you payments for free aka you make no payments after your first one for six months, then you start paying like normal but for 66 months instead.
View Quote

A warranty that is useless after the mods?  

So now you're stuck making payments on a car that you can't drive until you rebuild? But it's ok, because it was a free car?

Just making sure I am reading this right.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

So now you're stuck making payments on a car that you can't drive until you rebuild? But it's ok, because it was a free car?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got my Fiesta for zero down zero percent. In other words they gave me a free car. $22,000/72 = $305 a month, which comes out to $10.04 a day to drive a brand new 2015 model car. I spend more on food and random bullshit than I do for a brand new model year car.
So naturally I modded the shit out of it but that's not the point.

The point is that this option, a new "economic" car that dealers are giving away is by and far the cheapest, in real and nominal terms due to the zero percent and extremely long financing period, and zero down payment.

Then you do the extended warranty trick and get the dealer to finance the first 6 month of you payments for free aka you make no payments after your first one for six months, then you start paying like normal but for 66 months instead.

Yea, pretty dumb. At least wait until the warranty is up before modding a car.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't buy a Ford Focus or Fiesta. It will inevitably break down due to some petty shit in the first year, and your incompetent local dealer won't be able to resolve it. Buy a quality car, not a shiny, poorly-built shitbox.

Signed, owner of a 2015 Focus.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Wait for the RS.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A gt350 is like 50k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read about dealers charging $5k+ premiums for them, limited production= limited supply and dealers are taking advantage of it

A gt350 is like 50k.

A GT350 is around $70k.  Dealers are adding a $10k market adjustment minimum.

The RS will be $35k which is nowhere near GT350 money.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Anyone who knows anything about vehicles, cost, performance, etc....all has a healthy respect for that vehicle.

If you're laughing at one, the only point you're making is that you have no business posting here.

ETA:  Yeah, OP, get a 99 GSX

Wow.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Subaru WRX

Furds are wrong wheel drive. Torque steer sucks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Cuz fuck german repair costs
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Love my GTI OP.

But out of those too I say Focus, Fiesta is small I had one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

which is common knowledge, of no surprise (and greatly exaggerated).

yet they still sell quite well and have a huge following.. must be because they are fun, fuel efficient, handle well, comfortable, nicely appointed, safe, respectable cars.. you can't even say "badge whores" because they don't have the name plate of BMW, MB or Audi.

the Focus isn't even a bad car, but for all the little things in every day life that are just a bit better its worth it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I love my 2014 Focus ST.  Bought it to just be a fun daily driver that is still practical.  Ended up liking it a lot more than I thought, so it became a weekend toy while I kept using my old shitbox as a commuter car.

I've had faster cars, but this thing is just a blast to throw around.  For years I was the type to focus on horsepower specs and "RWD or its crap"... now I feel like I was missing out on a lot.  These little "hot hatch" cars can be an insane amount of fun.  I definitely see why they have such an enthusiastic following.

My main gripe with the car is a complete lack of traction.  That is pretty much expected out of a car with good low end torque (for what it is, obviously) and front wheel drive.  Secondary gripe is the torque steer... but putting the car in sport mode tones it down quite a bit and you also get used to it and compensate for it subconsciously.

Since I don't need such a practical weekend toy... I am looking to upgrade in the next year or so.  But the car at the top of my list is still quite practical... Focus RS
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've read about dealers charging $5k+ premiums for them, limited production= limited supply and dealers are taking advantage of it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you read the Focus RS forums, tons of people are getting them for MSRP.  It takes some legwork, but it doesn't seem to be all that difficult to find a dealer who will go for it.

But at this point, the allocations for the 2016 cars are pretty much all spoken for.  Supply is supposed to be much better for 2017.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Don't buy a Ford Focus or Fiesta. It will inevitably break down due to some petty shit in the first year, and your incompetent local dealer won't be able to resolve it. Buy a quality car, not a shiny, poorly-built shitbox.

View Quote

I've been waiting 12 years for my 2004 Focus to break down in the first year.  And about two years now for my 2014 to break down in the first year.  I guess I'm doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The correct answer is WRX.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm loving the shit out of my 2016 Focus ST

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/Real_PhillBert/20160416_140524_zpsr5lfp84i.jpg

I think the Fiesta ST is probably a more fun car, but I just couldn't live with a car that small so I went with the Focus. You really cannot lose between the two.

If you look around you can get them much cheaper than a GTI or WRX, I paid $21.5k for mine.
View Quote

Is that an ST1? Just trying to figure out how you got it so cheap.  I paid about $26-27k out the door for my ST3.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've been waiting 12 years for my 2004 Focus to break down in the first year.  And about two years now for my 2014 to break down in the first year.  I guess I'm doing it wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm honestly glad that you've had a good experience with both of yours. I wasn't so lucky, and apparently neither were a lot of other owners. Now I steer people clear of Ford when possible.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#35]
No love for the MazdaSpeed 3?

I couldn't wipe the smile of my face after a proper test drive...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The problems with the dual clutch auto's not the manuals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm honestly glad that you've had a good experience with both of yours. I wasn't so lucky, and apparently neither were a lot of other owners. Now I steer people clear of Ford when possible.

The problems with the dual clutch auto's not the manuals.

The transmissions aren't really a problem, IMHO, more of a design quirk. It can be annoying, but you get used to it. The phantom stalling / idle / CEL issues are the problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#37]
WRX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCVA7_6uzZ0
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Anyone who knows anything about vehicles, cost, performance, etc....all has a healthy respect for that vehicle.

If you're laughing at one, the only point you're making is that you have no business posting here.

Wow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Whatever man, I'd swap the engine in a Miata and drive that before I'd mess with a Golf.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If the transmission wasn't a problem there wouldn't be a recall, DPS6 clutches wouldn't be on national back order, and our shop wouldnt be doing 20 of them a month.

Some of it is people not understanding how a dual clutch feels but a lot of them are legitimate concerns.

View Quote

I didn't know all that. Congrats, you've dropped my opinion of Ford a bit lower.
I haven't had a problem with the trans - it's been all engine control gremlins.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Love my focus ST.  GTI is another great option.  I wouldn't get a wrx unless you need all awd, steering, suspension, and interior are not up to par.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I vote WRX

I also just bought one a couple weeks ago.  I like sedans better than hatches, and it has AWD.

Don't mod it and it will be reliable.  They have plenty of power while stock to be fun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The Fiesta ST is hysterically fun. There's also the new focus RS which has cool features.
And I see the trailer park contingent have already chimed in. Yeah OP, get a camaro and some oxycontins. You'll be on your way to blue collar royalty in no time.
View Quote

Hey... I own a camaro and I voted for the Focus.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I've had my '16 Fiesta for close to six months and I love it.  Never thought I'd stray from Toyota, but I couldn't resist this street legal go-cart.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#45]
<---
Quoted:
whichever is big enough for your purse
View Quote

I take it you've never been in one. If you had, you'd know it isn't for purse swingers.

OP: Voted for the Focus ST. Love mine. Its lowered on a set of Mountune Sport springs- 1.4" in the front and 1" in the back. 15mm spacers in the front and 20mm in the back, RallyArmor mudflaps, a Breedt short shifter set to 40%, and a Green Filter. Hoping to get a FMIC when I get back from the 'stan. The woosh of the turbo when it spools makes my pants tight every time I drive it. Great on gas mileage as well for a vehicle that is that fun to drive. Like others have mentioned, it does have a few quirks, like the torque steer. But that's what happens when you have a FWD car. Its never been an issue for me, however. One of my main gripes is the 12.4gal tank. I drive 60mi a day round trip for work and I fill up twice a week with premium (91 is all I can get in Vegas). Other than that, its been an awesome car and I've only had it since October of last year. Get a good set of tires on it as well and you'll be speeding before you realize it. I get compliments all the time with people asking me about it and most don't even realize it isn't just a regular Focus.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#46]
1 have a '15 Focus ST1. Love it. I'd definitely buy another.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pontiac G8 GXP might be another option. RWD, supercharged LS.
View Quote

Iirc the gxp wasnt supercharged. None of the g8's were...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Work with a guy that has a Fiat 500 Abarth, quick little car. Looks pretty cool inside, he has a tune, exhaust and intake says it makes little over 200whp. I've ridden in it a few times, it certainly feels like it has the power he claims. Believe they start in the low 20's like the Fords.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Work with a guy that has a Fiat 500 Abarth, quick little car. Looks pretty cool inside, he has a tune, exhaust and intake says it makes little over 200whp. I've ridden in it a few times, it certainly feels like it has the power he claims. Believe they start in the low 20's like the Fords.
View Quote

Speaking of fiat abarths. Fiat is getting ready to release a car on the new Miata frame that has a Turbo!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Love my focus ST.  GTI is another great option.  I wouldn't get a wrx unless you need all awd, steering, suspension, and interior are not up to par.
View Quote

without commenting on anything else... LOfuckingL
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top