BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Iirc the gxp wasnt supercharged. None of the g8's were...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pontiac G8 GXP might be another option. RWD, supercharged LS.

Iirc the gxp wasnt supercharged. None of the g8's were...

I would have sworn it was...hmm wonder what I'm thinking of then.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is it the same engine that's in the focus?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not ecoboost mustang?

Is it the same engine that's in the focus?

Bigger. 2.3L turbo. 310 hp before the tune.
Traded in my '13 WRX in on it.
Paid just over $25K.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
<---

I take it you've never been in one. If you had, you'd know it isn't for purse swingers.

OP: Voted for the Focus ST. Love mine. Its lowered on a set of Mountune Sport springs- 1.4" in the front and 1" in the back. 15mm spacers in the front and 20mm in the back, RallyArmor mudflaps, a Breedt short shifter set to 40%, and a Green Filter. Hoping to get a FMIC when I get back from the 'stan. The woosh of the turbo when it spools makes my pants tight every time I drive it. Great on gas mileage as well for a vehicle that is that fun to drive. Like others have mentioned, it does have a few quirks, like the torque steer. But that's what happens when you have a FWD car. Its never been an issue for me, however. One of my main gripes is the 12.4gal tank. I drive 60mi a day round trip for work and I fill up twice a week with premium (91 is all I can get in Vegas). Other than that, its been an awesome car and I've only had it since October of last year. Get a good set of tires on it as well and you'll be speeding before you realize it. I get compliments all the time with people asking me about it and most don't even realize it isn't just a regular Focus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<---
Quoted:
whichever is big enough for your purse

I take it you've never been in one. If you had, you'd know it isn't for purse swingers.

OP: Voted for the Focus ST. Love mine. Its lowered on a set of Mountune Sport springs- 1.4" in the front and 1" in the back. 15mm spacers in the front and 20mm in the back, RallyArmor mudflaps, a Breedt short shifter set to 40%, and a Green Filter. Hoping to get a FMIC when I get back from the 'stan. The woosh of the turbo when it spools makes my pants tight every time I drive it. Great on gas mileage as well for a vehicle that is that fun to drive. Like others have mentioned, it does have a few quirks, like the torque steer. But that's what happens when you have a FWD car. Its never been an issue for me, however. One of my main gripes is the 12.4gal tank. I drive 60mi a day round trip for work and I fill up twice a week with premium (91 is all I can get in Vegas). Other than that, its been an awesome car and I've only had it since October of last year. Get a good set of tires on it as well and you'll be speeding before you realize it. I get compliments all the time with people asking me about it and most don't even realize it isn't just a regular Focus.

LOL
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The correct answer is WRX.
View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Fiesta ST and it's the most fun car I have ever had. I've owned a Challenger, Mustang, and a WRX and while I was out in Colorado. Seriously best car I've driven. Also nice perk on the highway I'm pulling 40 mpg. Paid 20000 for mine brand new. It's the best deal in the performance market right now. Plus if Richard Hammond likes it you know it's a nice car.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

without commenting on anything else... LOfuckingL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love my focus ST.  GTI is another great option.  I wouldn't get a wrx unless you need all awd, steering, suspension, and interior are not up to par.

without commenting on anything else... LOfuckingL

To be fair, I haven't driven a '15.  But I don't get emotional over purchases, and when I was buying my last car I had planned on getting a WRX (this was 2013) until driving them back to back.  The WRX is much faster on a track, but it just wasn't as much fun for me as the Focus.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Focus ST and love it.  Running a stage 1 tune with Roush exhaust and intake.  And of course a blow off valve
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I vote Chevy Sonic turbo.  It is much more of a sleeper then either ford ST models.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm honestly glad that you've had a good experience with both of yours. I wasn't so lucky, and apparently neither were a lot of other owners. Now I steer people clear of Ford when possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't buy a Ford Focus or Fiesta. It will inevitably break down due to some petty shit in the first year, and your incompetent local dealer won't be able to resolve it. Buy a quality car, not a shiny, poorly-built shitbox.

Signed, owner of a 2015 Focus.

I've been waiting 12 years for my 2004 Focus to break down in the first year.  And about two years now for my 2014 to break down in the first year.  I guess I'm doing it wrong.

I'm honestly glad that you've had a good experience with both of yours. I wasn't so lucky, and apparently neither were a lot of other owners. Now I steer people clear of Ford when possible.
Why? Because you got a lemon part or because you managed to ruin a car that millions of people drive daily without issue. I have had a couple of problems but I will continue to buy Fords the rest of my life. They have been far more reliable than the GM and Chrysler products i have owned.

Ftw i had a heater blower quit under warranty and a $7 relay go out. My las GM product cost me twice the purchase price in the first five years i owned it. Junk.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Focus RS
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why? Because you got a lemon part or because you managed to ruin a car that millions of people drive daily without issue. I have had a couple of problems but I will continue to buy Fords the rest of my life. They have been far more reliable than the GM and Chrysler products i have owned.    

Ftw i had a heater blower quit under warranty and a $7 relay go out. My las GM product cost me twice the purchase price in the first five years i owned it. Junk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't buy a Ford Focus or Fiesta. It will inevitably break down due to some petty shit in the first year, and your incompetent local dealer won't be able to resolve it. Buy a quality car, not a shiny, poorly-built shitbox.

I've been waiting 12 years for my 2004 Focus to break down in the first year.  And about two years now for my 2014 to break down in the first year.  I guess I'm doing it wrong.

You're judging it by the standards of GM and Chrysler - of course the reliability will appear to be excellent. By the standards of the Nissans and Hondas I've owned in the past, the reliability is poor. Hell, it's bad compared to my wife's Mexi-Jetta.

Yes, because I've had a bad experience with my one and only Ford (dealer maintained, driven mostly on highways) and their shitty dealer network, I'll steer people clear of them. It's a sample size of one, but it's the only one that matters to me. Fuck Ford.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must be. The wife's 2013 threw a clutch pack at 19k miles. (VERY common. Look it up.)

Now, with ~30k miles, I'm starting to wonder if it will get to 40k miles without needing another.

Unless Ford has fixed the problems in the late model Focus' transmission, I'd give them a miss. The problem transmissions in the current model Focus' are some sort of an "automatic manual" (NOT a shiftable auto) It has jack all in common with the one that was in the 2004.

It a damn nice car, if you can keep the damn thing on the road.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#13]
NO SPORTS CAR IS FWD
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You must be. The wife's 2013 threw a clutch pack at 19k miles. (VERY common. Look it up.)

Now, with ~30k miles, I'm starting to wonder if it will get to 40k miles without needing another.

Unless Ford has fixed the problems in the late model Focus' transmission, I'd give them a miss. The problem transmissions in the current model Focus' are some sort of an "automatic manual" (NOT a shiftable auto) It has jack all in common with the one that was in the 2004.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new autos are a dual clutch transmission.  Usually I'd say they are great, but Fords execution is obviously lacking on this one.

Mine has a 6 speed manual.  Trouble freeeeee.  All the ST cars from Ford use a 6 speed manual.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I vote Chevy Sonic turbo.  It is much more of a sleeper then either ford ST models.
View Quote

It'll also take $5000 to get it even close to the Fiesta ST's base horsepower and torque.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might want to look that one up, before you infer he's an idiot.

The local small town dealer is fixing 5-6 of these PER WEEK. They never questioned the problem with ours and had the clutch pack on-hand for the appointment (originally made for a EPROM update).

It's a known and widespread issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The new autos are a dual clutch transmission.  Usually I'd say they are great, but Fords execution is obviously lacking on this one.

Mine has a 6 speed manual.  Trouble freeeeee.  All the ST cars from Ford use a 6 speed manual.
View Quote

The manual is the way to go on these. Unfortunately, we had to buy the car because the wife had carpal tunnel surgery and can't drive a manual any more.

If it holds together, great. If not, no more Fords.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
NO SPORTS CAR IS FWD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
NO SPORTS CAR IS FWD

This isnt a sports car, it's pocket rocket daily driver that will get good gas mileage but has the power when I feel like stomping on it and small enough to weave in and out of traffic as needed.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The manual is the way to go on these. Unfortunately, we had to buy the car because the wife had carpal tunnel surgery and can't drive a manual any more.

If it holds together, great. If not, no more Fords.

I'll definitely be getting a manual.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<---
Quoted:
whichever is big enough for your purse

LOL

Go away. No one cares about your bro dozer loving crap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#20]
OP are you wanting a hot hatch or just named those two because they are small?

How handy are you with DIY wrenching?  What's your budget?  

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
NO SPORTS CAR IS FWD
View Quote

I get the impression you don't even know what a sports car is.  The only one mentioned so far in this thread is a Miata.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP are you wanting a hot hatch or just named those two because they are small?

How handy are you with DIY wrenching?  What's your budget?  

View Quote

Hot hatch. Those two seemed best bang for the buck. I don't want something older I have to wrench on. Budget is 25 max. Looks like locally I can get either one of these close to 20.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The local small town dealer is fixing 5-6 of these PER WEEK. They never questioned the problem with ours and had the clutch pack on-hand for the appointment (originally made for a EPROM update).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was having the clutches replaced for the second time in my 2013 Focus, the loaner was a 2015 Focus with around 8,000 miles on it and it would shudder badly and hesitate to accelerate as well.  Mine is at just over 25k miles, and still shudders and jerks the car, as in the entire car jerks when shifting and fails to accelerate at times.

Dealership claims they have cars they have replaced clutches on 5 times without permanent fix.  The Ford representatives have admitted to several people including myself there is not a permanent fix in place yet.

The DCT should be avoided like the plague.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top