BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When did 15C charging get to be safe?  Guess I'm outta the loop.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why would you need a 1kw 6S charger? You should only be charging your batteries at 1C. You got a 40,000 mAh 6S pack?

it is out of the ordinary, but that said....I have a 24,000mAh lithium ion 6S pack.  I use two B6AC chargers, with two balance leads.

Even the crappy lipos can be charged safely at 2c, and there are many out there that can be charged at 15c.    

My little foamy batteries get charged at 5c.

That's the highest I remember seeing... probably Maxamps or some other higher-end manufacturer. A lot of low-end Lipos are now rated to charge at 3c-8c.

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That's the highest I remember seeing... probably Maxamps or some other higher-end manufacturer. A lot of low-end Lipos are now rated to charge at 3c-8c.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why would you need a 1kw 6S charger? You should only be charging your batteries at 1C. You got a 40,000 mAh 6S pack?

it is out of the ordinary, but that said....I have a 24,000mAh lithium ion 6S pack.  I use two B6AC chargers, with two balance leads.

Even the crappy lipos can be charged safely at 2c, and there are many out there that can be charged at 15c.    

Yeah, I could never afford the high end lipos, but I am shocked how good the cheap ones have gotten.  I recently just went through killing a bunch of old lipos.  I was surprised to see I had an old no-name 3S 1300 back that had been used and abuse but never puff, still held a charge.  I am still a little paranoid about lipos.  

It is time for a new charger though, I am still sporting a GP Triton 2.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, I could never afford the high end lipos, but I am shocked how good the cheap ones have gotten.  I recently just went through killing a bunch of old lipos.  I was surprised to see I had an old no-name 3S 1300 back that had been used and abuse but never puff, still held a charge.  I am still a little paranoid about lipos.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still have my triton 1....among other things....
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:34:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used to always buy Turnigy lipos and then I wouldn't do anything to maintain them.  I charged immediately after flying, and always stored at full charge.

My reasoning was, that I fly down in the weeds.  I take risks because it's "fun."   And I mostly fly smaller/cheaper planes with 3s2200s so replacing a set of four every year was no big deal.  I would say I settled on this plan about 6-7 years ago.

Since that time, I've gotten to be a much better pilot.  I do not crash nearly as often.  I also built my first giant scale planes.  I got back into helicopters, and I got into some stuff like racers.  A couple years ago I realized that I'm not just buying a set of 3s2200s every year.  I started 3 years ago buying better batteries.  Not the premium brands, but not cheap either.  Mostly I've settled on Pulse Ultra.  Without taking care of them, they are lasting about 1.5-2.5 years.  The last sets that I bought this summer I've started leaving at storage voltage instead of fully charged.  I hope that will help them last longer too.

I keep 6s3300 65c packs for my Rare Bear.  I keep 6s3300 45c for my 500 and 600 size helis.  I have two smaller helis that need 6s1300s.  I keep 5s5000 35c for my 1/4 scale planes (fly them as 10s5000, charge them as 5s10000).  I have a 94" B-17 that needs four 4s2200s to fly.  I have many planes on 3s2200 still.  I have several planes that need 3s1300.  And then I have a ton of TX packs, 2s packs for r/c cars, and 1s and 2s micro batteries for whatever little thing I'm flying around the house.

I *really* hope that by taking better care of my batteries I'm able to make them last 3-4 years.  Because right now, I have way too many.  (9) 6s3300s, (5) 6s1300s, (2) 5s5000s, (4) 4s2200s, (10) 3s2200s, (4) 3s1300s, and on and on.

-J
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:41:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Little Foot and required electronics, 306b charger and 24v power system on the way.  I'm excited to finally get back into RC!
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I used to always buy Turnigy lipos and then I wouldn't do anything to maintain them.  I charged immediately after flying, and always stored at full charge.

My reasoning was, that I fly down in the weeds.  I take risks because it's "fun."   And I mostly fly smaller/cheaper planes with 3s2200s so replacing a set of four every year was no big deal.  I would say I settled on this plan about 6-7 years ago.

Since that time, I've gotten to be a much better pilot.  I do not crash nearly as often.  I also built my first giant scale planes.  I got back into helicopters, and I got into some stuff like racers.  A couple years ago I realized that I'm not just buying a set of 3s2200s every year.  I started 3 years ago buying better batteries.  Not the premium brands, but not cheap either.  Mostly I've settled on Pulse Ultra.  Without taking care of them, they are lasting about 1.5-2.5 years.  The last sets that I bought this summer I've started leaving at storage voltage instead of fully charged.  I hope that will help them last longer too.

I keep 6s3300 65c packs for my Rare Bear.  I keep 6s3300 45c for my 500 and 600 size helis.  I have two smaller helis that need 6s1300s.  I keep 5s5000 35c for my 1/4 scale planes (fly them as 10s5000, charge them as 5s10000).  I have a 94" B-17 that needs four 4s2200s to fly.  I have many planes on 3s2200 still.  I have several planes that need 3s1300.  And then I have a ton of TX packs, 2s packs for r/c cars, and 1s and 2s micro batteries for whatever little thing I'm flying around the house.

I *really* hope that by taking better care of my batteries I'm able to make them last 3-4 years.  Because right now, I have way too many.  (9) 6s3300s, (5) 6s1300s, (2) 5s5000s, (4) 4s2200s, (10) 3s2200s, (4) 3s1300s, and on and on.

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-J
You'd probably if you saw my battery case (just the one I take to the field). It's hard for me to throw away batteries, it probably has 40 in it

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Few other web sites for people after they get a handle on fixed point of view flying...

FPV flying.

Readymaderc.com

Flitetest.com

Fpvlab.com

Those things, with IBcrazy's links and intros on Youtube can help a person go pretty far.

Flitetest foam core builds are about as cheap as you can get for fixed wing fun.   Combine hobbyking cheap motors and parts and it is possible to be in the air for less than 60 bucks.   Did my first flying wing from flitetest and cannot be happier for a cheap set of relaxing fun.

Flitetest has a good youtube channel as well.   Not to mention Peter is an ARFcommer.
View Quote

i fucking thought someone was.   one of his builds had a huge BFL sticker on it plain as day..  thought that was pretty awesome
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 2:16:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You'd probably if you saw my battery case (just the one I take to the field). It's hard for me to throw away batteries, it probably has 40 in it  
View Quote

Well that's the other part of it...   I used to fly crappy planes (trainers) and the old beat up batteries worked ok for them.  Now with helicopters and high-speed planes, I am finding that I *need* much nicer batteries.  I have some 2 year old 35c Pulse batteries that work fine in my Carbon Z Cub or Toledo Special, but they will fall flat on their face if I put them in a helicopter.  And they make the motor pulse at wide open throttle on the Rare Bear.

I've started checking internal resistance at every charge too.  Because yanking hard collective on a helicopter and having your headspeed drop by 50% really sucks.

Yep, it's a brave new world..  High dollar batteries and lots of maintenance for me.

-J
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 3:02:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out Thunder Power. They have some that can be charged at 12C.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Who got r/c stuff for Christmas?  Father in law got me a Syma X8C.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The new Flyzone Seawind was received here!
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
It was a bit foggy today.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Pilot of both?

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz346/pasquale91/20151224_134956_zps9o77fqxy.jpg

I got one of those last week..  I've only flown it three times due to crappy weather here.  I have not gotten a chance to fly it off of water yet, only my club field.

It flies really nice.  The springs on the undercarriage make it land REALLY nicely.  I could sit and do touch and goes for hours.

It's a little under-powered by R/C standards.  Plenty of power for scale flight but only very basic aerobatics.  And you actually have to do a take-off roll, it won't just leap into the air like most models these days.

Secondly, I'm really worried about water getting into the hatch.  But I won't know until I get it out on the lake.

Some of my decals were coming loose when I took it out of the box.  I used some welders glue to stick them back down.

Good luck, I'm sure you're going to like it.

-J
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I got one of those last week..  I've only flown it three times due to crappy weather here.  I have not gotten a chance to fly it off of water yet, only my club field.

It flies really nice.  The springs on the undercarriage make it land REALLY nicely.  I could sit and do touch and goes for hours.

It's a little under-powered by R/C standards.  Plenty of power for scale flight but only very basic aerobatics.  And you actually have to do a take-off roll, it won't just leap into the air like most models these days.

Secondly, I'm really worried about water getting into the hatch.  But I won't know until I get it out on the lake.

Some of my decals were coming loose when I took it out of the box.  I used some welders glue to stick them back down.

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz346/pasquale91/20151224_134956_zps9o77fqxy.jpg

-J

PM sent
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Might be little off topic but,, I want to get a helicopter/ quad rotor etc to fly in my house, what one would be the best for that. I want precision and want to fly it inside so probably not anything to large $150 or less, links etc would be appreciated
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Might be little off topic but,, I want to get a helicopter/ quad rotor etc to fly in my house, what one would be the best for that. I want precision and want to fly it inside so probably not anything to large $150 or less, links etc would be appreciated
View Quote

There was a thread over here http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1816785_Recommend_me_a_quadcopter__.html

I am a big fan of the Eflite Blade stuff, anything of their stuff I have flown has been great.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I used to fly about 20 years ago.

Nitromethane was just about the only game in town.  There were a few viable electrics, but they were heavy and the run time was short. Now, it seems like most RC planes are electric.

I got pretty good at flying, although I never got beyond high-wing trainers (Eagle 63) and Cub replicas.  But it was still a lot of fun.

I've thought about getting into it again, but that's one more hobby I don't have time or money to throw at.
View Quote

Same here. I progressed all the way up to helis but crashes were too freakin expensive.

Now you can get a 450 size heli for less than an old school crash kit.

Im not into the quads, but the FPV racing is tempting.

Im concentrating on the two Trex 450's I have for right now.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#21]

An Star Destroyer, built by an arfcommer.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I got my frames in for my 182mm FPV Racer design.  It is the smallest possible quad that can swing 5" props (roughly 0.09" prop clearance).  Thought I'd post a few photos here since I posted about my prototype.

4mm Carbon Fiber one-piece bottom plate and 2mm carbon fiber top plate.

182mm Carbon X-Frame 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

182mm Carbon X-Frame 5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

182mm Carbon X-Frame 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

after reading several threads, and watching some fpv videos posted on arfcom, I got to searching for a nice fpv drone to order some time before spring.. I came across the jdx 509, and at $125 I was really liking it.. so I jumped on Google to do some research and read some reviews on it, when I came across a thread where someone mentioned they had some on ebay for $10, with $25 shipping.. well that deal was over, BUT I did find one that was $10, with $29.99 shipping.. $40 for a complete fpv drone, with nice features?  Yeah, I payed that for each of my nephews walmart ones... Out came the good ol visa, and it's currently on its way.

the only thing I didn't care for, was the seemingly short run timd, and long charge time.. does anyone know if I can invest in a couple  better lipos / charger so I can have some back up batterys?! I'd really hate to go to the lake for the weekend and only get ~9 minutes of footage.. also, how big of a memory card can these things support? Should I just do multiple 12 gigs, or spring for a larger one and hope it's compatable?
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Well, I got my frames in for my 182mm FPV Racer design.  It is the smallest possible quad that can swing 5" props (roughly 0.09" prop clearance).  Thought I'd post a few photos here since I posted about my prototype.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5807/23891769066_c2f135b139_o.jpg182mm Carbon X-Frame 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/610/23289649764_6fb56e4f76_o.jpg182mm Carbon X-Frame 5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5742/23835361211_1e9817cae7_o.jpg182mm Carbon X-Frame 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr
View Quote

That thing is sick.  Is there a build thread over at RCG?

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, here:  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2538734

I also made one here on ARFcom:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1806915_.html

I need to strap my Mobius on it and fly it around some, the prototype flew GREAT and I'm sure this one will fly even better since the bottom plate is 4mm thick.  It won't flex at all.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
after reading several threads, and watching some fpv videos posted on arfcom, I got to searching for a nice fpv drone to order some time before spring.. I came across the jdx 509, and at $125 I was really liking it.. so I jumped on Google to do some research and read some reviews on it, when I came across a thread where someone mentioned they had some on ebay for $10, with $25 shipping.. well that deal was over, BUT I did find one that was $10, with $29.99 shipping.. $40 for a complete fpv drone, with nice features?  Yeah, I payed that for each of my nephews walmart ones... Out came the good ol visa, and it's currently on its way.

the only thing I didn't care for, was the seemingly short run timd, and long charge time.. does anyone know if I can invest in a couple  better lipos / charger so I can have some back up batterys?! I'd really hate to go to the lake for the weekend and only get ~9 minutes of footage.. also, how big of a memory card can these things support? Should I just do multiple 12 gigs, or spring for a larger one and hope it's compatable?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Doing a quick look it looks like it has a 700mah lipo.  It looks like it a smaller quad and you probably can't get a much larger pack.  However, you can get a much better charger that would charge faster and safer.  Those USB chargers are useless.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#27]
BTW, several folks have posted they wanted to get into FPV.  I ran across this thread today and everyone should read it.  

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567954
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
BTW, several folks have posted they wanted to get into FPV.  I ran across this thread today and everyone should read it.  

View Quote

Man, he's not kidding..  I've got "good" parts and I have been VERY frustrated trying to get my FPV to work well on my Sky Mule from time to time.  Luckily my TBS Disco works very well (solid two miles, in the summer, while flying 100-200 feet) so every time I get bummed out about my fixed wing, I can take my quad for a few flights.  I have no intention of flying higher or further.

-J
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Man, he's not kidding..  I've got "good" parts and I have been VERY frustrated trying to get my FPV to work well on my Sky Mule from time to time.  Luckily my TBS Disco works very well (solid two miles, in the summer, while flying 100-200 feet) so every time I get bummed out about my fixed wing, I can take my quad for a few flights.  I have no intention of flying higher or further.

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-J

FPV has has managed to be a massive  PITA.  I will get there.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-J

Immersion FPV on 5.8 is largely plug and play.   Get an OSD for orientation and return to home.   Use circular polarized antennas, 5.8 is great for that thanks to small antennas, and grab a diversity 5.8 rx so you can have a directional high gain and a mushroom for close in.    Should take care of your proximity flying needs.

Grab a foamy flying wing and have at it.   Bank and Yank with FPV is fun, almost soothing.  Proximity out to about 400 yards or a bit more is plenty with a few exceptions like running a ravine that is LOS to your vid RX.

I started by trying to convert 2.3m foamy gliders with limited success.    Flying wings are where it is at in my opinion.   Can fly effeciently or just crank it to 11 with a new prop.

No need for max distance crap, that is boring.    Tuck in next to a hill a out in the middle of nowhere and chase canyons doing proximity flying on your way back to home is fun as hell.   Just watch the LOS for the video and control link because the penetration isnt that good for those signals.

I tried playing with the packet/gps based antenna tracker but it freaks me out.   An RSSI antenna tracker would be tits but getting the extra RX for making it work and programming the ardunio is too much for me.   If I could buy a plug and play I would do that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 12:05:33 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never seen the FPV stuff before... damn now I want one.

Whatever you do, DO NOT watch these then

https://youtu.be/NsxyV-kgfio

https://youtu.be/ro26WwMvMrc

https://youtu.be/pSHjo17nA_M

Damn...
I used to fly nitro 20 years ago and was thinking of getting back into it.
I think I changed my thoughts on what to get back into.

Sweet!
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Doing a quick look it looks like it has a 700mah lipo.  It looks like it a smaller quad and you probably can't get a much larger pack.  However, you can get a much better charger that would charge faster and safer.  Those USB chargers are useless.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for your quick reply.. I'm sure the battery that comes in it isn't the best pack around, do you know of any better quality ones that are roughly the same dimensions?  Also, what would you suggest for a cheap, decent charger? If I were wanting to get a better (or build my own down the road) quad at some point, would it be worthwhile to get a nicer charger off the batt? My old Nimh charger would charge with 12v as an input, are there any like that for lipo? Could help at the lake, altho if need be, I could charge it in the camper. Sorry for all the noon questions..
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5807/23891769066_c2f135b139_o.jpg182mm Carbon X-Frame 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/610/23289649764_6fb56e4f76_o.jpg182mm Carbon X-Frame 5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5742/23835361211_1e9817cae7_o.jpg182mm Carbon X-Frame 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr
View Quote
Why not cut the top plate so the antenna is in the back and not on the side? Seems like it would be better balanced that way.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Check out Thunder Power. They have some that can be charged at 12C.
View Quote

Thunder power lipo's are high $, but don't have a good reputation for lifespan.
Some people are saying good things about potenza lipo's
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
thanks for your quick reply.. I'm sure the battery that comes in it isn't the best pack around, do you know of any better quality ones that are roughly the same dimensions?  Also, what would you suggest for a cheap, decent charger? If I were wanting to get a better (or build my own down the road) quad at some point, would it be worthwhile to get a nicer charger off the batt? My old Nimh charger would charge with 12v as an input, are there any like that for lipo? Could help at the lake, altho if need be, I could charge it in the camper. Sorry for all the noon questions..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is like asking what is the best ammo out there.    I will say this.  Flight Power are great, but expensive.  The key is to find a decent priced pack that will meet your needs.  I have had excellent luck with the GensAce batteries.  I understand Bonka is a new brand rumored to be good.  I just bought some to test.  As to cheap chargers, look at the Imax B6.  I know a few folks that love them and they have proven to be good enough to fake.  So make sure you buy a genuine one.  

Eta: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1433__408__Chargers_Accessories-Battery_Charger_DC_only_.html

Hobby King is now even admittedly selling the copies.   The Chinese are...

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why not cut the top plate so the antenna is in the back and not on the side? Seems like it would be better balanced that way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because occasionally I stick a Mobius camera on the top plate to record my flights.  I'll be getting a RunCam 2 shortly to replace the Mobius.  The Runcam 2 can capture 1080p at 60p or 2k at 30p.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I was reading this thread and thinking about how I have not flown since 1989. I still ahve my 2 planes, Sig Riser and my Aquila.

Do I have to register them with the FAA even though my radios are not current to fly according to the FCC? They have been closet queens since 1989 and I sure do not want to pay to register something I do not plan to fly any time soon but are they going to try to full an ATF where you are guilty when just owning them even if you don't use them?
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#38]
only register if you fly
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Immersion FPV on 5.8 is largely plug and play.
View Quote
THIS. I was extremely frustrated with FPV until I started spending a little extra and getting Immersion/Fat Shark products. Just having the receiver on my goggles  made a huge difference in the hassle of setup. Even with a headtracker it's easy, just pop in the trainer plug. And for the aircraft, you literally just stick on a camera and receiver, plug them into power and go.

I just pigtail on a JST adapter for the receiver, usually an inline plug. Not the best solution but it hasn't failed me yet

I've been flying and tinkering with FPV since around 09 but I'm having sooo much more fun with it now.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

THIS. I was extremely frustrated with FPV until I started spending a little extra and getting Immersion/Fat Shark products. Just having the receiver on my goggles  made a huge difference in the hassle of setup. Even with a headtracker it's easy, just pop in the trainer plug. And for the aircraft, you literally just stick on a camera and receiver, plug them into power and go.

I just pigtail on a JST adapter for the receiver, usually an inline plug. Not the best solution but it hasn't failed me yet

I've been flying and tinkering with FPV since around 09 but I'm having sooo much more fun with it now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure you guys are right, but damn it's expensive.  Funny how radios used to be the thing to spend the big bucks on, now they have gotten dirt cheap.  I actually would be willing to spend some $$$ on goggles if there was some around here I could try first.    Sporting the Quantum googles right now.

I am trying to troubleshoot and issue with my Boscam rx/tx.  Unfortunately my 4 yo decided he needed a 1/148 lighthouse for his trainset, so that has taken priority.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

I bought an X8C from GearBest on Black Friday for $41.  I wish I had bought multiples.  It's a Phantom clone with none of the extra stability features but it is still fun to fly.  The camera on it sucks and there is no FPV with the C model.  So I took the FPV camera off my V686G and figured out how to make it work plugged into the X8C.  Now I have a decent, when it comes to cheap, camera and FPV on the X8C.  Without altitude hold and position hold it is still a pain to try filming while flying if there is any type of wind but I just chalk it up to increasing my flight skills.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I bought an X8C from GearBest on Black Friday for $41.  I wish I had bought multiples.  It's a Phantom clone with none of the extra stability features but it is still fun to fly.  The camera on it sucks and there is no FPV with the C model.  So I took the FPV camera off my V686G and figured out how to make it work plugged into the X8C.  Now I have a decent, when it comes to cheap, camera and FPV on the X8C.  Without altitude hold and position hold it is still a pain to try filming while flying if there is any type of wind but I just chalk it up to increasing my flight skills.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Syma is cheap, don't get me wrong, but I have always been surprised how good they are for cheap.  That thing is crazy stable.  And the camera, for the price, is okay.  It certainly is a much better value than my 250 FPV quad.   I have a new 200mw transmitter showing up, I was thinking about seeing if I could hack the stock camera.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because occasionally I stick a Mobius camera on the top plate to record my flights.  I'll be getting a RunCam 2 shortly to replace the Mobius.  The Runcam 2 can capture 1080p at 60p or 2k at 30p.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading around on the internet and coming across the same pictures on two different forums is CRAZY.

Hello fellow ADV.com member.

I saw that $5 on a carbon frame and was like,dang that is the same setup as this guy on adv. Wait, It is!

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#44]
If it is free to register R/c "drones" with FAA right now and will cost $5 later why not register a shit load of "paper" drones in the expectation of buying them eventually? That way you do not have to pay the federal money eaters money later and you get to clog up the system further to help prove the stupidity point of the entire thing? I'm not sure what the legality would be nor have I tried to register anything so I do not know the requirements but it seems they can't be too strict since reconfiguration of R/C aircraft are fairly easy and often done when you want to make changes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

If it is free to register R/c "drones" with FAA right now and will cost $5 later why not register a shit load of "paper" drones in the expectation of buying them eventually? That way you do not have to pay the federal money eaters money later and you get to clog up the system further to help prove the stupidity point of the entire thing? I'm not sure what the legality would be nor have I tried to register anything so I do not know the requirements but it seems they can't be too strict since reconfiguration of R/C aircraft are fairly easy and often done when you want to make changes.
View Quote

It's $5 per pilot, not per drone.  

The screwed up part is I probably have 50+ aircraft to register, no idea how I will keep track.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The screwed up part is I probably have 50+ aircraft to register, no idea how I will keep track.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to give them any info on the aircraft.  You just give your name, address, e-mail, and phone number...  They give you an ID and you put that ID on all of your aircraft.

Keep in mind the AMA is still negotiating so they asked us not to register yet.  It's free until January 19th, or 20th.. so I'll wait to register and see what the AMA can get done.

-J
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Syma is cheap, don't get me wrong, but I have always been surprised how good they are for cheap.  That thing is crazy stable.  And the camera, for the price, is okay.  It certainly is a much better value than my 250 FPV quad.   I have a new 200mw transmitter showing up, I was thinking about seeing if I could hack the stock camera.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Syma is durable.  I have an X5C-1 that was stuck in a tree in Michigan for 2 weeks, ran out of battery over a swimming pool, crash so many times I lost count, and recently stuck in a tree at my house for 4 days of rain.  It still flies great and does so on all the original parts.  Even a 40' fall from the tree at my house on to asphalt didn't break anything.  Meanwhile my WLToys V686G can drop from 10 feet and it shears of the landing legs and motor brackets.  The V686G camera is 4 times better in quality and has FPV compared to the one on the Syma's.  By putting that camera on the Syma X8C I have the best features of both quads.

The Syma X8C uses a stereo plug to connect the camera which uses 3.7v for power.  There is a second powered wire that has a voltage drop to zero to trigger the camera to record.  The V686G camera is $26 at GearBest and is 5.8Ghz.  I lose video feed around 150 feet and need a way to increase that.  I'm totally new to FPV and the gear involved other than the cheap FPV kit that came with the V686G.  Syma makes an X8W which has an FPV camera using a wireless network connection.  I think that camera is even cheaper than what comes with the X8C.  Supposedly the camera that comes with the X8C is the same camera board that comes with the X5C, it just has a different housing and plug.  I know there are mod articles for hacking the the X5C camera.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Reading around on the internet and coming across the same pictures on two different forums is CRAZY.

I saw that $5 on a carbon frame and was like,dang that is the same setup as this guy on adv. Wait, It is!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HA!  Yeah, I have a few different hobbies, motorcycles are one of them (the most expensive at that).  It really fits well with a couple other hobbies, photography, camping and hiking.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'm sure you guys are right, but damn it's expensive.  Funny how radios used to be the thing to spend the big bucks on, now they have gotten dirt cheap.  I actually would be willing to spend some $$$ on goggles if there was some around here I could try first.    Sporting the Quantum googles right now.

I am trying to troubleshoot and issue with my Boscam rx/tx.  Unfortunately my 4 yo decided he needed a 1/148 lighthouse for his trainset, so that has taken priority.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use Attitude V2 goggles, they were just on sale for about $250 and usually run under $300. A 600mw transmitter and a camera are about $110-120 or so, just to give you an idea. There are also cheaper options, but I don't have personal experience with them.

FWIW, my favorite FPV shopping places are ReadyMadeRC and GetFPV. Both have a lot of products and some good deals... if one doesn't have it, the other probably will

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#50]
fuck the ama. they fight like the nra fights. We want out bolt action hunting guns and don't care what or who else you ban just leave us alone with our heads up our asses. That is exactly what the ama is trying to do. I went straight to surrender and signed up.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top