Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#1]
who has the dashcam?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The problem is the ramps are made to be long enough to accelerate like a mofo so as to get up to highway speed, which is safer.  Once you are barrelling along you have nowhere to go, while the driver in the right lane does--he can simply switch lanes.  Obviously this can change with heavy traffic, so BOTH drivers are required to "make it work."  

I looked it up after I posted and found at least two states (CA and MI) flat out require the merger yield on interstates.  Illinois requires the existing traffic to yield, but is a little squishy, and it is not absolute.  Bottom line is the old adage of "don't be an asshole" applies.  

Back in the dark ages I was taught to watch for traffic on the ramp and get the buggy into the left lane well in advance.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right lane's fault.  If you merge, you must yield, just like a freeway entrance.  They (left laners) are not required to let you in.

It makes absolutely no difference if the right laner is a little ahead.  Right laner is an idiot for waiting too long to change lanes.

Bad example--in many (most?) states the people on a limited access highway must yield to the mergers.  Those merging have nowhere to go, but the ones already there can usually just get in the left lane.  Obviously this changes if traffic is backed up, and during construction limiting the flow to one lane--but they usually put up Yield signs on the merging lane if construction is ongoing.

I won't pretend to know the answer (as to how many require it), but that doesn't sound right to me.  I've always understood it that the traffic on the higher class road has right of way and that traffic merging from a lower class road must yield.  In the case of two equal roads meeting, I believe through and exiting traffic has priority over entering traffic.  But maybe that's wrong or just my state.

The problem is the ramps are made to be long enough to accelerate like a mofo so as to get up to highway speed, which is safer.  Once you are barrelling along you have nowhere to go, while the driver in the right lane does--he can simply switch lanes.  Obviously this can change with heavy traffic, so BOTH drivers are required to "make it work."  

I looked it up after I posted and found at least two states (CA and MI) flat out require the merger yield on interstates.  Illinois requires the existing traffic to yield, but is a little squishy, and it is not absolute.  Bottom line is the old adage of "don't be an asshole" applies.  

Back in the dark ages I was taught to watch for traffic on the ramp and get the buggy into the left lane well in advance.  
Agree with your philosophy, even it isn't the law everywhere.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Whoever has the most firepower

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Been here before you, lost my name when they changed the email settings 2 or 3 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Join date, post count, etc...

Been here before you, lost my name when they changed the email settings 2 or 3 years ago.

Yeah, if I was a '14er, I would claim that too.

If you lost your name "2 or 3 years ago" why is your join date from only 20 months ago?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you lost your name "2 or 3 years ago" why is your join date from only 20 months ago?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is your post count so low?  Is this your troll account?

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Did I cut you off last night?

I always hop in the right lane going through that intersection, hate getting stuck behind the morons turning left into the drive through
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I looked it up after I posted and found at least two states (CA and MI) flat out require the merger yield on interstates. Illinois requires the existing traffic to yield, but is a little squishy, and it is not absolute.  Bottom line is the old adage of "don't be an asshole" applies.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right lane's fault.  If you merge, you must yield, just like a freeway entrance.  They (left laners) are not required to let you in.
It makes absolutely no difference if the right laner is a little ahead.  Right laner is an idiot for waiting too long to change lanes.

Bad example--in many (most?) states the people on a limited access highway must yield to the mergers.  Those merging have nowhere to go, but the ones already there can usually just get in the left lane.  Obviously this changes if traffic is backed up, and during construction limiting the flow to one lane--but they usually put up Yield signs on the merging lane if construction is ongoing.

I won't pretend to know the answer (as to how many require it), but that doesn't sound right to me.  I've always understood it that the traffic on the higher class road has right of way and that traffic merging from a lower class road must yield.  In the case of two equal roads meeting, I believe through and exiting traffic has priority over entering traffic.  But maybe that's wrong or just my state.

I looked it up after I posted and found at least two states (CA and MI) flat out require the merger yield on interstates. Illinois requires the existing traffic to yield, but is a little squishy, and it is not absolute.  Bottom line is the old adage of "don't be an asshole" applies.  

Well that explains the asshole FIBs who just come and merge without looking at existing traffic when they're driving in WI. That's crazy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#8]

In Texas, neither.  Texas law requires that the right lane yield the ROW to vehicles in the left in that instance; however, that does not infer any "right" on drivers in the left lane.

It is called driving defensively.  People need to stop worrying about claiming their ROW, and they need to drive like adults.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Right.  You know your lane is ending, you can't just cut over into another car who has no obligation to do anything. (Assuming both were side by side)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Left lane.  But both drivers need to make it work.

There is such a thing as forcing the right-of-way.

So if the person in the left lane was to not let the lane cutter in that is in the right lane and an accident happened whose fault would it be?

Right.  You know your lane is ending, you can't just cut over into another car who has no obligation to do anything. (Assuming both were side by side)

The other driver has an obligation to avoid collisions when possible.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Blue car is stopped at stop sign as green car approaches.  Who has the right of way?

http://i.imgur.com/BtK3FZV.jpg?1
View Quote

No one.  Blue car is required to Yield, but that gives no right to the green car.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#11]
You fucked up bro. Quit trying to make us think you didn't. You're fault. Move along.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The vehicle with the most lug nuts always has the right of way.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The correct behavior is for drivers to zipper in.  Take turns like most of us were were taught to as children.

In the event there are only two cars that happen to be going the same speed right next to each other, the car on the left should go first.

Quoted:

View Quote

That too.  An 18-wheel truck has ROW over any passenger vehicle.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought it was the tallest bro-dozer
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The person in front of the other under normal instances. If a car in the right is ahead, don't speed up to block them.

In bumper to bumper traffic drivers should follow zipper merge.

If two cars are side by side approaching the merge point then the left lane has right of way and the right car either needs to speed up or slow down.

View Quote

This.  

Succinctly explained, as well.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As shown, the green car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blue car is stopped at stop sign as green car approaches.  Who has the right of way?

As shown, the green car.

If I had moderator powers of driving, like you have mod powers for ARF, I would give you a permaban from operating a vehicle.

you are 100% wrong on both of your last two post

ETA: I thought I saw 3 stop signs.......I appologize for that, I would only give you a week long vacation for the merge fiasco
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The person in front of the other under normal instances. If a car in the right is ahead, don't speed up to block them.

In bumper to bumper traffic drivers should follow zipper merge.

If two cars are side by side approaching the merge point then the left lane has right of way and the right car either needs to speed up or slow down.
View Quote

^ This... Merging traffic is supposed to merge and non merging traffic is supposed to let them in.
Fuck be upon all that use the merge lane as a passing lane right to the end...
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends, did the person on the right see that sign a mile before the lane end but wait until the last minute to move over?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If I had moderator powers of driving, like you have mod powers for ARF, I would give you a permaban from operating a vehicle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As shown, the green car.

Just how is TBK wrong about the green car?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So if the person in the left lane was to not let the lane cutter in that is in the right lane and an accident happened whose fault would it be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the witnesses.  If it's a 'He said, she said,' both parties will be at fault.  Demanding that someone honors the right of way, and forcing an accident when they don't, is poor decision-making, and contributes to the accident.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The person in the lane that doesn't end.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No one.  Blue car is required to Yield, but that gives no right to the green car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At "T" intersections...generally the first car to the intersection has the ROW, if they get there at the same time, the vehicle NOT making a turn has the ROW.
At a 4 way, if they all arrive at the same time the one on the right "usually" gets to go first....since TX is notorious for 4 way stops, generally people are easy to deal with. So the ROW is worthless in that case.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

As shown, the green car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As shown, the green car.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As shown, the green car.

Car turning gives up the ROW. Been like that for well over 40 years

EDIT....OOOPS I thought I saw 3 stops signs.........I stand incorrect.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

At "T" intersections...generally the first car to the intersection has the ROW, if they get there at the same time, the vehicle NOT making a turn has the ROW.
At a 4 way, if they all arrive at the same time the one on the right "usually" gets to go first....since TX is notorious for 4 way stops, generally people are easy to deal with. So the ROW is worthless in that case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're missing that, in the diagram, there is no stop sign facing the green car as it arrives at the intersection.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think you're missing that, in the diagram, there is no stop sign facing the green car as it arrives at the intersection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

too much coffee, I really thought I saw 3 stop signs
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#27]

So OP, why do you ask?

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it too much coffee . . .  OR not enough???  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Depends on whether or not the guy is driving too slow in the left lane.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Stretches of single-lane road mixed in with narrow two-lane road, marked only with simple signs and striped poles   Some of these would be more than a km with turnouts every so often, but this is the only one I happened to take a picture of.   Isle of Skye

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry not before you but the same year, https://www.ar15.com/member/member.html?id=222778, I no longer have email access to the email associated with this account so I made a new one because I dont have the password for the old one. Thanks for being a fantastic superslueth Mr. Holmes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If two vehicles arrive at a 4 way stop sign at the same time, the car on the right has the right-of-way.

There is actually a reason for this.  Does anyone know why?

View Quote

Because the cell phone stuck to the side of their face partially blocks the view that way
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So OP, why do you ask?

View Quote

I am asking because everyone waits in line like adults including me every single day on a road that is close to my house. Inevitably some dick goes down the right lane and cuts in front of everyone else because they are so damn important that they cannot wait in line. One day it is inevitably going to cause an accident and I wanted to make sure I was not compelled to let Mr. Important cut me off because he ran out of lane
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If two vehicles arrive at a 4 way stop sign at the same time, the car on the right has the right-of-way.

View Quote

Because if the idiot on the left gases it, it hits the passenger, not the driver......or so I was told decades ago.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I believe it's derived from the international marine rules of right-of-way for boats and ships, the COLREGS.
15. Crossing situations

When two power-driven vessels are crossing, the vessel which has the
other on the starboard side must give way and avoid crossing ahead of
her.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Should be the left lane.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's a good guess, but that's not the reason.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because if the idiot on the left gases it, it hits the passenger, not the driver......or so I was told decades ago.

That's a good guess, but that's not the reason.

If you were to ever ride with my Gram'ma (RIP) you would not argue with me
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Bigger vehicle always has the right of way.

BTW, had a county snow plow on the wrong side of the road coming my way.  Being clear on the wrong way side, I took the wrong way and cleared out of his way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Laws of Physics dictate the vehicle with the most mass and higher velocity has the right of way.

Man made laws don't mean shit.
View Quote

AKA, "Low of Gross Tonnage" applies always.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Missouri, a certain type of driver still prefers to come to a full and complete stop at the end of the on ramp.

This must get passed down in families, as I've seriously had people argue with me that it's the way the roads were designed, and that it was law.

Hello, why the fuck is there a ramp, you think?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Does the yellow van have the right of way?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Yes, it did, and odds are the green car yielded to it.

That intersection is a marvel of organization compared to what I deal with out this way.  Imagine 4 left-turning lanes of traffic with no functional traffic controls.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

When I was young, two local cities had "roundabouts" like that.  (Also called traffic circles.)  They were sure a mess, but people learned how to navigate them pretty well.
Both have been removed and replaced by traffic lights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When I was young, two local cities had "roundabouts" like that.  (Also called traffic circles.)  They were sure a mess, but people learned how to navigate them pretty well.
Both have been removed and replaced by traffic lights.

The biggest problem with roundabouts out where I live is that the traffic planners don't build the roundabout big enough to allow traffic to flow at the speeds it should.
They use the same space that a 4 way stop has.
Almost every damn one of them has a 15mph speed limit while in it.

So you go from 40 to 15 mph.  
In New Zealand you don't slow down at a roundabout, you speed up so you can get in front of the car that's already in the roundabout.
You never stop at the entrance of a roundabout.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right of way can only be given, not taken. the person moving into the through lane still has to yield to vehicles already in the lane.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#50]
The person in the bigger vehicle.  Definitely not the guy on a motorcycle no matter what lane he's in.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top