Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/25/2015 8:56:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The person in the lane that doesn't end.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Left lane.  But both drivers need to make it work.

There is such a thing as forcing the right-of-way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The mail truck, it may be carrying a declaration of war.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The three little rectangles because they are heading into a angled wall.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Nobody "has" the right-of-way, but the one on the right is supposed to yield the right-of-way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#6]
FPNI
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
stupid question is stupid.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

So if the person in the left lane was to not let the lane cutter in that is in the right lane and an accident happened whose fault would it be?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The person in front of the other under normal instances. If a car in the right is ahead, don't speed up to block them.

In bumper to bumper traffic drivers should follow zipper merge.

If two cars are side by side approaching the merge point then the left lane has right of way and the right car either needs to speed up or slow down.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So if the person in the left lane was to not let the lane cutter in that is in the right lane and an accident happened whose fault would it be?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The person making a change in direction must yield to the person NOT making a change of direction. The person in the Left lane has "possession" of the lane as they see fit.

The person who is making any change in position, be it entering traffic or changing lanes MUST yield to traffic ALREADY in said lane.

* Unless you're in Chinatown; which is "anything goes" rules.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The DMV for letting assholes and idiots on the road.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.  You know your lane is ending, you can't just cut over into another car who has no obligation to do anything. (Assuming both were side by side)
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Right lane's fault.  If you merge, you must yield, just like a freeway entrance.  They (left laners) are not required to let you in.
It makes absolutely no difference if the right laner is a little ahead.  Right laner is an idiot for waiting too long to change lanes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]
If I am in the right lane and I am in front of you then I am signaling and coming on over.
If you make the decision to block me out then (depending on the circumstances, you're in a POS and I am on my bike) I am accelerating and getting in front of you.
If you out accelerate me I am going to back off and let you have it, no harm, no foul.
If you're in front of me then it's your lane.

If I am in the left lane there's no fucking way you are getting in front of me unless you are seriously exceeding the speed limit.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If evidence existed that you knew they were running out of right lane and had the ability to avoid the collision but chose to force the right of way ("was to not LET" suggests refusal) - then there is a good chance that you could be found to have either caused or contributed to the collision.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I do . . .

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If evidence existed that you knew they were running out of right lane and had the ability to avoid the collision but chose to force the right of way ("was to not LET" suggests refusal) - then there is a good chance that you could be found to have either caused or contributed to the collision.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It ALL depends on your state law; some states are Contributory Negligence. Others are comparative negligence.  I defend insurance agencies in Contrib States like Virginia. Here, we would deny the person on the Rights' claim. We would say you were "at fault or at least in contribution to the loss" ; thereby denying liability. In contributory states, if you contribute as little as 1% to the loss; you collect NOTHING!

In comparative negligence states we "may" accept 5% of fault, and pay out 5% of loss to avoid litigation in courts.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Blue car is stopped at stop sign as green car approaches.  Who has the right of way?

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Blue car is stopped at stop sign as green car approaches.  Who has the right of way?

http://i.imgur.com/BtK3FZV.jpg?1
View Quote

Car with Stop sign MUST yield.  The vehicle with the stop sign must yield to ALL traffic, even if he has to be there for 10 minutes. A stop sign does not allow you to simply pause -- then move forward. A vehicle at a stop sign MUST yield to ALL traffic without a STOP sign.

People confuse STOP signs with having to only "pause" -- THEN they have right of way.  Person with STOP sign yields to ALL without a stop sign. Does not matter the length of time the vehicle has to stay at the stop sign.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does a road like that exist?  

Why stop all but one direction of traffic?

Either way green car has right of way because they don't have a stop sign.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It ALL depends on your state law; some states are Contributory Negligence. Others are comparative negligence.  I defend insurance agencies in Contrib States like Virginia. Here, we would deny the person on the Rights' claim. We would say you were "at fault or at least in contribution to the loss" ; thereby denying liability. In contributory states, if you contribute as little as 1% to the loss; you collect NOTHING!

In comparative negligence states we "may" accept 5% of fault, and pay out 5% of loss to avoid litigation in courts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im in Ohio.. So the person in the left maintaining their lane has no obligation to let someone in? Its only a two lane road, not a highway.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, right by my house.  Very low traffic.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Arkansas, it is called something similar to "Last clear chance" to avoid an accident.  If right laner veered over at the last minute in front of left laner, it would still likely be right laner's fault.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Laws of Physics dictate the vehicle with the most mass and higher velocity has the right of way.

Man made laws don't mean shit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Im in Ohio.. So the person in the left maintaining their lane has no obligation to let someone in? Its only a two lane road, not a highway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not 100% familiar with Ohio law, so please consult an Ohio attorney. Here in VA, the person making the change of lane can claim just one defense: "last clear chance to avoid the accident."  This basically means, the driver on Left lane was fully aware you were trying to make a lane change and made an obvious decision to NOT avoid a loss; thereby in failure of "last clear chance to avoid the accident".  

For example, a car stalls in middle of road; you just CANNOT plow into it because you have right of way. As a motorist you have a DUTY of last clear chance to avoid the accident.

It is difficult to prove but with a good recorded statement of the driver on the left; it can be done. For example, if when interviewed he states: "yeah, I saw him signal, but to hell with him, I just hit the gas to keep him from coming over".  Then yes, you have a good defense, but once again, hard to prove. May need a witness statement.

See legal definition here: LINK
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Join date, post count, etc...
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Left lane Louie
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they exist.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do the Ohio Traffic Laws say about the situation?  Surely they are posted online somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bad example--in many (most?) states the people on a limited access highway must yield to the mergers.  Those merging have nowhere to go, but the ones already there can usually just get in the left lane.  Obviously this changes if traffic is backed up, and during construction limiting the flow to one lane--but they usually put up Yield signs on the merging lane if construction is ongoing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right lane's fault.  If you merge, you must yield, just like a freeway entrance.  They (left laners) are not required to let you in.
It makes absolutely no difference if the right laner is a little ahead.  Right laner is an idiot for waiting too long to change lanes.

Bad example--in many (most?) states the people on a limited access highway must yield to the mergers.  Those merging have nowhere to go, but the ones already there can usually just get in the left lane.  Obviously this changes if traffic is backed up, and during construction limiting the flow to one lane--but they usually put up Yield signs on the merging lane if construction is ongoing.

I had some dumb bitch merge right into me on I-74 near Peoria.   I had someone passing me and someone behind me.   Nowhere to go.

Fortunatley,  I outweighed her by about 1.5 tons and pushed her into the guard rail.   Her Malibu was totaled.   100% her fault.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The person in the lane that doesn't end.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The city traffic engineer has the right to find a new job for making such a stupid intersection.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Left lane
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law doesn't change if there is light traffic or heavy traffic.
If you are trying to merge onto the freeway and no one will let you in, what do you do?
You go all the way to the end of the entrance ramp with your signal on and then STOP at the end.
You can't just pull out in front of cars going much faster than you.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#39]
no signal, no merge
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know of one in the next county.  Tiny town, low traffic volume, and it's a "Y" intersection not a "T" but same principle.

To answer the OP... right lane has to yield but I've found in the DC metro area people will fly by on the right and cut over at the last instant.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

One just like that by my house. The traffic flow in the green car path is pretty regular with the two stop sign lanes having nearly no traffic at any time.  This design works very well in some areas.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#42]
The one driving the heavier vehicle?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I won't pretend to know the answer (as to how many require it), but that doesn't sound right to me.  I've always understood it that the traffic on the higher class road has right of way and that traffic merging from a lower class road must yield.  In the case of two equal roads meeting, I believe through and exiting traffic has priority over entering traffic.  But maybe that's wrong or just my state.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Been here before you, lost my name when they changed the email settings 2 or 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Been here before you, lost my name when they changed the email settings 2 or 3 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know of one like that on the street I used to live on, much confusion.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Tonnage always wins no matter if you are the stand on boat or give way boat.  That's just the way it is in real life despite the rules of the road.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Thats a right lane merge sign. The right lane is merging into flowing traffic (left lane) they must yield to traffic as their lane is ending..
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

That would be called cutting someone off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top