BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The real reason this is being removed is because they decided they didn't want a Baphomet statue on the Capitol steps. And that's how it should be. If someone wants to create laws that allow for religions imagery that should apply to any imagery rather than simply that which agrees with their beliefs. The further removed religion (of all kinds) is from legislation the better for everyone.
View Quote

But I see that sort of reasoning silly.  One can see a direct cultural and historical influence of the 10 commandments on the western concept of the law and thus one can see it reasonable to see such iconography in a courthouse as representative of that background just as Roman iconography is present as a nod to the influence Roman law had on our law.  One cannot say the same historical thing about neckbeard "Satanists."

Ironically, Moses and the Ten Commandments are on frescoes on the Supreme Court.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
kind of ironic the focus on keeping the Christian Taliban from stoning sinners the same week an atheist executed Christians for their faith.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Religion sucks, it gets perverted. Christ even despised religion if I recall correctly.

Oh they are very much related, though I think religion has little to do with it. Religion gives us things like the Crusades. God/Christ gives us teachings that show us how to behave.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Religion sucks, it gets perverted. Christ even despised religion if I recall correctly.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a Christian and the monument should never have been placed on government property.  It is being moved to private property (a conservative think tank), as it should be.

The state recently denied the placement of a Satanic memorial, because they didn't want to support Satanism.  Doing that made it kind of hard to argue they weren't supporting "any sect, church, denomination or system of religion" with this monument.  Showing preferential treatment to one religion over another is verboten and this result was the entire reason the Church of Satan tried to get a monument put up.  Had they allowed the monuments to be put up, you could at least maintain plausibility to the claim it wasn't violating the law.   By showing a clear preference for Christianity over a minority religion,  they made it impossible to keep the display.   The Supreme Court saved the state millions in legal fees to fight the lawsuit the Church of Satan was going to bring.

It will be funny reading all of the butthurt in this thread though.   Carry on.

It is the fundamental basis of our law and that is the relevance, though some dismiss that and argue they are unrelated.

Oh they are very much related, though I think religion has little to do with it. Religion gives us things like the Crusades. God/Christ gives us teachings that show us how to behave.

yeah...but Islam is not Christianity or Judaism.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The monument would make decent cover from small arms fire  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
kind of ironic the focus on keeping the Christian Taliban from stoning sinners the same week an atheist executed Christians for their faith.
The monument would make decent cover from small arms fire  

If nothing else.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Good.  God isn't real.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
--- Snip ---

Quoted:
I agree you have a point, but I think if forced to drink truth serum the people who are always upset about ten commandments type statues have a religious motivation and the stuff about the importance of the ten commandments from a 'western civilization" standpoint is just kind of baloney they say because they can't get away with putting up a big old cross on the lawn and hanging angels from the roof  
View Quote

They Know God is real and are just fooling themselves

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
--- Snip ---

View All Quotes
Quoted:
--- Snip ---

Quoted:
I agree you have a point, but I think if forced to drink truth serum the people who are always upset about ten commandments type statues have a religious motivation and the stuff about the importance of the ten commandments from a 'western civilization" standpoint is just kind of baloney they say because they can't get away with putting up a big old cross on the lawn and hanging angels from the roof  

That never made any kind of sense to me. If you know, really know, that god is real, then every possible calculation of self-interest, every fiber of your being, every instinct of self preservation, every odds and hedging of bets, would direct you to be on the side of god. It wouldn't even hurt to fake it a bit or exaggerate the extent of your sincerity.

It's only when you don't believe that that other options start making some sense.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yay, another Christian persecution circle jerk when someone makes them obey the law.
View Quote

To what statute are you referring?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I believe the Constitution itself is law and our judiciary branch are charged with enforcing it.

Which is what happened here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yay, another Christian prosecution circle jerk when someone makes them obey the law.

And what law was that?  The relevant portion of the Oklahoma Constitution was posted and it is a real stretch to say that this violated that part of the law.  It sure as heck does not violate the U.S. Constitution.

Of course, if you believe that judges have the power to legislate and amend constitutions...

I believe the Constitution itself is law and our judiciary branch are charged with enforcing it.

Which is what happened here.

What part of the Constitution demands that such a monument needs to be ripped out of the ground?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
CAIR "carroes a lot of stroke" meaning influence in Oklahoma politics? Color me skeptical  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trying to remove crosses and commandments statues is mean-spirited and short-sighted, particularly at time when America has never been more secularist.

The best part of wisdom is in tolerating each other's delusions.

There is a war on the Christian faith in this nation being carried on by the left funded by Saudi money. The left is going to have it stuck up their ass by the Saudis once they win...
This lawsuit was brought by some Oklahoma minister  

So a minister (Christian sect?) believes it is wrong to have the Ten Commandments on state property? Does he represent the left in it's entirety? Is he a tool being used by some one not known?
Saudi money is real strong in Oklahoma.  An example - The 9/11 terrorist pilots  ((Saudis financed by Saudi royals) received their pilot training in Norman OK, 20 miles south of OKC. CAIR carries a lot of stroke in OKC politics.
CAIR "carroes a lot of stroke" meaning influence in Oklahoma politics? Color me skeptical  

You think Saudi money doesn't talk even among Christian church leaders? OU President David Boren (ex Governor and US Senator) will squat and whiz if the Saudis tell him too for the money they give OU. The Saudis and CAIR are very careful not to be conspicuous in their purchases and bribery but they are here very strongly in Oklahoma and Texas.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#13]
nah
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pretty much sums up the state of the union right there
View Quote

We are lost.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That never made any kind of sense to me. If you know, really know, that god is real, then every possible calculation of self-interest, every fiber of your being, every instinct of self preservation, every odds and hedging of bets, would direct you to be on the side of god. It wouldn't even hurt to fake it a bit or exaggerate the extent of your sincerity.

It's only when you don't believe that that other options start making some sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
--- Snip ---

Quoted:

You would think so but I have  met a number of people over the
years who will deny the truth because they don't want to believe it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I am tired of all this bull sht. Who  the fuck cares it was there. I just get tired of the S.J.W. bull shit. I do not go to any church and I saw nothing wrong with it being there.

If I could go back to 1970-1980 you color me gone.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You understand that Islam evolved from both Christianity and Judaism, right?

And that the Crusades were usually Christians vs. Moslems, but sometimes Christians vs. Christians?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And that the Crusades were usually Christians vs. Moslems, but sometimes Christians vs. Christians?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do understand you have a liberally warped idea of history.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit, talk about twisted BS

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The 10 Commandmants, beyond the religious aspects, are a social roadmap that have served a large segment of mankind for multiple millennium.  That's all. They're pretty foundational to functioning western society and have stood the test of time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
God's law is out, and the queer law is in.

Yay.

I get the jest but there's an important aspect to what's occuring. The 10 Commandments are what, 4,000+ years old?  They've served man well. What we see today as "foundational" social mores and laws are really just de jour laws as if they were no real rights and worngs, only feels of the day.

That was my argument to a lesbian friend after the SCOTUS marriage ruling....these are dangerous times for a constitutional republic.

What does a monument of the Ten Commandments have to do with your concern about social mores?

The 10 Commandmants, beyond the religious aspects, are a social roadmap that have served a large segment of mankind for multiple millennium.  That's all. They're pretty foundational to functioning western society and have stood the test of time.

Beyond the specific Judeo/Christian elements of the commandments (the first four, ie. 40%), the other commandments are fairly common among human culture and religions.  Christians and the Ten Commandments do not hold a monopoly or any great claim to morals such as "don't murder, "don't steal," "don't lie," and "don't bang your neighbor's wife."

But the question still stands - What does a monument of the Ten Commandments have to do with your concern about social mores?  Do you think a random stone statue is the lynchpin to modern social mores?  Does taking it down mean society will get worse?

To think that this monument's placement is significant to the future of American society requires some sort of conviction that it and its message must be pressed upon the public -- which, in fact, is a government endorsement of a religion.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Christians and the Ten Commandments do not hold a monopoly or any great claim to morals such as "don't murder, "don't steal," "don't lie," and "don't bang your neighbor's wife."

View Quote

and thats how I know you have never spent significant time in africa or the middle east.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Or in some people's view, tolerating the secularist all together.
What is one man's delusion, however, is another man's reality.
What is truth?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trying to remove crosses and commandments statues is mean-spirited and short-sighted, particularly at time when America has never been more secularist.

What is truth?

Reality is reality. Truth = Objective reality. We're all subjective observers of objective reality, which can already hurt the pursuit of objective truth, there's no need to believe things without good evidence.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yay, another Christian persecution circle jerk when someone makes them obey the law.
View Quote

What Law?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Life as we know it has ended. Seriously, I'm sick of hearing about it, and the "In God We Trust" on the Police cars.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That would be for the people of the state, through their elected representatives to decide.

dearborne blasts out the call to prayer everyday.

zero fucks given.  I don't live in that shit hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would people be this worked up if it had been an Islamic statue? How about Scientologist?

That would be for the people of the state, through their elected representatives to decide.

dearborne blasts out the call to prayer everyday.

zero fucks given.  I don't live in that shit hole.

No they don't.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The basis of English common law is the Ten Commandments. English common law is the basis for modern law in this country.
They also represent the belief of the majority of Okies.
But that doesn't seem to matter...
View Quote

Where is it in our law to worship only one God? I believe the Constitution says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;". Hardly sounds like "Thou shall have no other Gods before me".

Laws about no graven images? taking the Lord's name in vain? remembering the Sabbath? Honoring thy mother and father? no adultery? no jealousy (covet)?

It's not like killing and stealing was a-ok before Judaism/Christianity. The Code of Ur-Nammu (Babylonian) already forbid murder, theft, etc. long before the 10 commandments.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

and thats how I know you have never spent significant time in africa or the middle east.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christians and the Ten Commandments do not hold a monopoly or any great claim to morals such as "don't murder, "don't steal," "don't lie," and "don't bang your neighbor's wife."

Is your statement supposed to be evidence that Christians and the Ten Commandments do hold a monopoly on those morals?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#28]
It wasnt removed because it was a christian monument. it was removed because it violated a Different part of the OK constitution that had to do with public land use.

When that portion is repealed come wither this or next November. It will be back.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Religion has no place in government. Period. If you disagree, you don't support freedom of religion which was one of the founding principles of this country.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ever hear of the New Testament?

Christians do not live by the Old Testament, Jew's and some others do. Christians do not. Which opens a whole other off topic can of worms, which if you want to discuss should be done so in another thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
... God/Christ gives us teachings that show us how to behave.

When was the last time you stoned someone who worked on the Sabbath?

Christians do not live by the Old Testament, Jew's and some others do. Christians do not. Which opens a whole other off topic can of worms, which if you want to discuss should be done so in another thread.

Hooray for cherrypicking!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Im filled with a big bunch of meh.

Victimhood has no bounds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Reality is reality. Truth = Objective reality. We're all subjective observers of objective reality, which can already hurt the pursuit of objective truth, there's no need to believe things without good evidence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is truth?

So?
I see no, "objective truth," in Darwinism.
Gap science holds very few answers that I seek.
Likewise, the Spirit of God holds no revelation and knowledge for you, or so you say.
I have no problem with your views.
But, can you honestly say the same about mine?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cherry picking what?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hmmm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.

Hmmm link huh?
What does it contain?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus there's the slaughter of Jews by crusaders in Europe as a "warm up."
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Cherry picking what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cherry picking what?

Really? Christians don't live by the Old Testament, but Christians live by the Ten Commandments. Jesus Tapdancing Christ. Try being consistent.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks like the beginning of another 50 page bible thumper thread ...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The Oklahoma constitution which prohibits the use of public property for the support of religion.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What Law?

The Oklahoma constitution which prohibits the use of public property for the support of religion.  

I guess that's why the Pope didn't speak there on his trip. He did at the White House however, and Congress. I didn't see squat about separation of church and state yatta yatta that week.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would this offend you?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. Yeah, they have similar moral proclamations. In fact, fucking everybody does.

There's a difference between those rules and practice.

But that wouldn't fit your agenda. Slither on, brah.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

LOL. Yeah, they have similar moral proclamations. In fact, fucking everybody does.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are they?
Cite please.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Would this offend you?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Would this offend you?

Yes. There is a religion forum on arfcom, you can do your thumping in there.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would this offend you?

So your saying that a well respected Site Staff member should take his thread to the RF?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Who are they?
Cite please.
View Quote

Um, "they?" Do you mean the other peoples/religions of the world who also have rules about morality?

Are you kidding?

Dude, time to get the fuck out of the bubble. This is shit I learned in high school if not earlier...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Um, "they?" Do you mean the other peoples/religions of the world who also have rules about morality?

Are you kidding?

Dude, time to get the fuck out of the bubble. This is shit I learned in high school if not earlier...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are they?
Cite please.

Are you kidding?

Really?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
So your saying that a well respected Site Staff member should take his thread to the RF?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would this offend you?

Yes. Am I not being clear enough for you?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What Law?

When the Oklahoma constitution was written it meant the support of one denomination such as Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, etc. it had nothing to do with Christianity vs Judaism vs Buddhist, etc.
In 1907 it was more to keep the Baptists from running state government.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Clear enough.
Thank you.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top