Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 5 hates freedom.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Been in IT for over twenty years, last certification exam I took was in 2001.  Will probably take one this year only because I have it as a personal goal at work (consulting company, having certs is considered quite beneficial when the account managers are trying to place someone at a client).

View Quote

Yea a lot of mine are out of date.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:20:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Kind of gay, the way it happened.  I taught him a bunch of stuff including fixing his car.  Long story short, I tell him how to change his oil, and he does it.  Drains the tranny fluid instead of the oil.  Tells me I should pay the bill.  I give him a choice, I stop teaching him remodeling, finances etc and give him $85 and walk or....  So after making $3500 in 4 weeks....  I grew up in the country and him the ghetto.

To the jackass who said I undercut.  Funny thing is professionals who I work with are so sick of "contractors" not showing up (they put stuff off), that I am winning the lottery to them.  Amazing what respecting people does...  Sorry for stepping on your toes...
View Quote

So how did hesteal from you?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:28:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Page 5 hates freedom.
View Quote

Freedom is for faggots!

Seriously though, I view this as something that personal responsibility will easily solve.

The person hiring the contractor should make sure they are squared away.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:51:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Drywall requires no license, permit, or inspections.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. This right there.
Fuck scab ass moonlighters that fuck customers over, don't pay taxes, don't do things properly, disappear on jobs and have no accountability. See how that works?  

(not speaking of OP, just making an example)

Right, I see where you are coming from.  Still, government regulation isn't going to stop that.  I don't want to live in this world where every little thing is regulated, categorized, examined, and ultimately in hock to government bureaucrats.  The .gov giving a company the green-light to operate guarantees nothing outside of the fact that all of the appropriate payoffs have happened.

There is no panacea.  Caveat emptor should be the reigning line of thought in all transactions.
Too late for you man. Arfcom says you have to be licensed by the .gov, pay for permits, provide health ins. and retirement for your 1 helper or else you can't hang some drywall and finish it.  

If you fucking paint it...

Drywall requires no license, permit, or inspections.
Does here

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:08:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LOL, that's on par with being the most retarded post I've read today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP talks about undercutting all the other remodelers in the area...complains about getting screwed over....

Indeed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:21:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I appreciate the anti regulations, trust me...  But I do want my workers protected.
View Quote

I've made a metric shit ton working on the side, so I won't fault you for that at all.

I'm curious to know how you got screwed by him?  From the sounds of what you said... I think you showed him how to do something, he did it wrong, and demanded you compensate him for it, and you did.  That's not getting screwed... that's being a sucker.

Should have told him to pound sand, and then never teach him another thing again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:23:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I couldn't read more than one page of this shit fest.

Did we ever find out how the ghetto-sidekick screwed the millionaire handyman out of $85 right before he got vested in the unlicensed contractor 401K program?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Momentary lapse of judgement.....It happens over and over.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]
What the fuck is going on in here?

I charge $20/hr to do simple electrical and plumbing work for friends and family. I won't take on a job I don't feel comfortable with. Anything I fuck up, I pay for OOP. I often get paid in beer or dinner. I'm fine with that. I enjoy expanding my skills.

.Gov ain't regulating shit on me!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:03:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I swear its a game with people. Same thing with poachers, they feel like they are getting away with it or something.
Not like they are hungry or poor, its a sport to screw someone before they get screwed I guess.
View Quote

Got some coworkers like that.  Really hard day or really easy day doesn't matter, they'll do 75% of the job.  Just feels good to get away with something I guess.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:12:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kind of gay, the way it happened.  I taught him a bunch of stuff including fixing his car.  Long story short, I tell him how to change his oil, and he does it.  Drains the tranny fluid instead of the oil.  Tells me I should pay the bill.  I give him a choice, I stop teaching him remodeling, finances etc and give him $85 and walk or....  So after making $3500 in 4 weeks....  I grew up in the country and him the ghetto.

To the jackass who said I undercut.  Funny thing is professionals who I work with are so sick of "contractors" not showing up (they put stuff off), that I am winning the lottery to them.  Amazing what respecting people does...  Sorry for stepping on your toes...
View Quote

You shoulda just cockslapped him and told him to GTFO.

i run a busy ass restaurant and could write a book on how stupid and retarded and pathetic, etc, people are.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:13:11 AM EDT
[#13]
OP's pipes weren't loud enough.

Sad day.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
It seems like a lot of you self-professed freedom lovers have a problem with people that moonlight.

How ironic.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP talks about undercutting all the other remodelers in the area...complains about getting screwed over....

It's not on par for me, it is.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It seems like a lot of you self-professed freedom lovers have a problem with people that moonlight.

How ironic.

View Quote

Nah I hate nightshifts

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

How ironic.

View Quote
We don't have problems with a guy doing side work to make ends meet or just for something to do. We have problems when they:

1. Have multiple employees, often paid cash

2. Are not licensed

3. Are not insured liability and comp

4.  Are not bonded

5   undercutting the prevailing rates

6   represent themselves as being qualified by x number of years experience when in fact they might work several days per month as they have a full time job

We have to play by a certain set of rules. As soon as someone bends them they are operating with an unfair advantage. This threatens my business and my employees.  My general liability is 6 per cent of total receipts. Comp is 21% of wages. If I pay you $100 I have to send them another $21. When you have a guy getting paid in cash off the books  he is saving the scab/contractor  about $ 2000 a week in my field.  That is a tremendous advantage and hurts the trade to the point we are getting paid the same unit price as 1990.

I started working construction in 71. I have seen it all.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#18]
It sounds like the OP should be happy only cost $85.00 to get rid of a future problem.

I do understand the OP frustration though, invest time into helping someone and they turn around and bite your hand.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"SCAB" is such an offensive and derogatory term. You address them as undocumented contractors!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. Perhaps more should be done to educate clients on quality/certifications of those bidding the jobs instead of requiring licenses to do the work. It puts the responsibility on the shoulders of the industry in question and not the government. I'm cool with that.

Unfortunately, some states do have requirements and hoops and licenses and until the requirements for licensure are removed (the ultimate goal), the unlicensed, uninsured contractors can't get permits for work and the clients have no recourse if shit goes sour.

I use this phrase daily, either in conversation or just in my own head.

"You get what you pay for." And at the end of the day, it transcends licensing or certificates or anything else.

I do think the 'scabs' need to play by the same rules as everyone else. I just don't like the rules.

"SCAB" is such an offensive and derogatory term. You address them as undocumented contractors!
SCAB is not really that offensive.  It points back to the user of the word as a Marxist, pro-union, freedom hating individual.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#20]
In NC, you need 3 employees before being required to have workers comp.  I think it's silly to flat out say what buddy needs to have and isn't doing when he has provided no information at all.  Especially when we should know different states have different laws. We are well versed in that because of the gun laws, that this forum is about.

He can work cheaper when he doesn't need to have a secretary, 10 employees not necessarily working 40 hours a week, an office, advertising, etc. He shouldn't charge a set amount just because everyone else is. Considering Arfcom is the cheapest, sell out our local businesses to save $0.50, either by shopping online or with Walmart, people on the planet...

Not sure why he got nabbed for asking for naked pics? And there's nothing wrong with a blow up doll, they make them for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'll bite.

How'd he steal $85 from you?
View Quote

He gave him  $100  bill to get coffee for the crew and keep the change. Thought it was his tip for going.

My sister done this MANY times to my dad as a teen.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#22]
He blamed you because he drained the trans fluid instead of the engine oil!?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd rather it hurt the industry than have the government regulate the little people out of business.

Mostly because the regulations only hurt the legit small companies. The ones who don't give a fuck aren't going to give a fuck either way.

It's like gun laws.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What you are describing just hurts the industry as a whole. Should I drive the installation price of a square foot of tile down to $1.00 because I don't need the money?    

I'd rather it hurt the industry than have the government regulate the little people out of business.

Mostly because the regulations only hurt the legit small companies. The ones who don't give a fuck aren't going to give a fuck either way.

It's like gun laws.

I'd like to see the gov squash the shit out of the scabs. Small guy needs the same fucking license and insurance I do. FFS.

If he can't pay to play like I do, I'd love to see them get fined thousands and thousands. Get your head out. Some jobs are regulated for a reason. Like cops and doctors. Or do you go to the garage dentist clinic too to support some unlicensed asshole?

Fuck the unlicensed scab guy with that same rusty rake.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Did we ever find out how the ghetto-sidekick screwed the millionaire handyman out of $85 right before he got vested in the unlicensed contractor 401K program?
View Quote

You just made my morning.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How ironic.

View Quote

So I should only buy from unlicensed gun shops that sell on weekends only? Or after 5pm?

Yes. I have a problem with 'moonlighters' (unlicensed or insured individuals doing my regulated trade). Let's call them what they are.

That's one stupid statement.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

No kidding.  Perhaps op, since he doesnt need the money, should quit whoreing out his remodel gigs at cost.  There are lots of contractors that arent doing this for practice, dont want the real value of the work diminished, and do need the money.  OP's description hits a cord with me a contractor that has recently dealt with an ex employee that screwed me and wants to just be cheap.   Fuckin leach.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I laughed.
Not sure which is funnier. The bit about the smart guy teaching the dumb guy how to fail at changing his oil, or that the smart guy gave the dumb guy $85, and calls it getting screwed.

Oh,oh! The funniest part was the lie about giving him a 401K program when he isn't claiming him as an employee.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was looking into also getting him a 401K.  Dude I make $150K in my real job and $50K-75 doing remodeling. Don't try to judge me because you are a failure.  Anymore questions?
View Quote

Do you own any registered transferable machine guns?
Just asking because I would with that kind of income.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#29]
so let me get this straight....undercutting is a bad thing?

fucking commie motherfuckers everywhere on arfcom excuse me while I add to my ignore list...this might take awhile
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Unable To Ignore This User (Staff/Mod/Advertiser)

goddammit
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#31]
If I lived in Connecticut I'd have a lot more to complain about than $85.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

fucking commie motherfuckers everywhere on arfcom excuse me while I add to my ignore list...this might take awhile
View Quote

Drama and loud noises!
Ignore everyone!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#33]
For $85 you know what kind of loyalty he has.
You got off cheap.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I paid the $85, out of pride, it's the lack of loyalty I can't understand.
View Quote

You misjudged his character.

He may have an epiphany later but don't count on it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
How does doing a job cheaper than others compare to ripping someone off?

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Drama and loud noises!

Ignore everyone!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Drama and loud noises!

Ignore everyone!
I gotcha thanks

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Fucking commies!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

Well he didn't really screw you out of $85.

You gave him a choice, he chose but not the way you would have wanted him to.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're offering unlicensed and uninsured labor in a regulated trade, you're ripping me and your customer off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fuck the guys who think people working on the side need to be 'regulated by the government'.

Fuck them with a rusty rake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was looking into also getting him a 401K.  Dude I make $150K in my real job and $50K-75 doing remodeling. Don't try to judge me because you are a failure.  Anymore questions?

Fuck the guys who think people working on the side need to be 'regulated by the government'.

Have you taken the required rusty rake OSHA training?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Wow, real bunch of freedom loving individuals in this thread, may I suggest democraticunderground.com, the posters over there are much more in line with your government regulation loving ideals.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wow, real bunch of freedom loving individuals in this thread, may I suggest democraticunderground.com, the posters over there are much more in line with your government regulation loving ideals.
View Quote

^^^ NOT a contractor. Just a blowhard. Easy to talk shit when it's not your wallet being picked by illegal "tradesmen".
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you're offering unlicensed and uninsured labor in a regulated trade, you're ripping me and your customer off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, the last two times I did my own work, I asked you questions and you helped me get the job done.

You probably don't even remember.

So there!!

Oh, and I never got a bill from you.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

*sigh*

You're reading what you want to read, but not what we are actually saying. Once bcauzy and I stopped flinging poo and started talking, we got on each other's page.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hey, the last two times I did my own work, I asked you questions and you helped me get the job done.

So there!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So there!!

Cheers! And for the record, I am ALWAYS willing to help someone do something themselves. That's totally different. More HOs should do basic repairs and maintenance on their stuff.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#47]
If you want to do things 100% legit, you will have to work twice as hard for half the price.  It pissed me off when I was a contractor and got underbid by someone unlicensed, but I don't blame them one bit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'd like to see the gov squash the shit out of the scabs. Small guy needs the same fucking license and insurance I do. FFS.

If he can't pay to play like I do, I'd love to see them get fined thousands and thousands. Get your head out. Some jobs are regulated for a reason. Like cops and doctors. Or do you go to the garage dentist clinic too to support some unlicensed asshole?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What you are describing just hurts the industry as a whole. Should I drive the installation price of a square foot of tile down to $1.00 because I don't need the money?    

It's like gun laws.

Yep, like I said. It's a personal choice. You either like freedom or hate it.

We don't have to agree.

I can go find someone to work on my teeth who isn't a dentist if I want to. Hell man, I even pulled my kid's baby teeth! *GASP* I should be able to go find someone who isn't sanctioned by the government to build a shed or fix a leaky toilet.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I'm a SCAB.

I fixed a buddy's laptop once.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

^^^ NOT a contractor. Just a blowhard. Easy to talk shit when it's not your wallet being picked by illegal "tradesmen".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't be competitive without the government shitting on your rivals, then I'd assert it's you who has a problem.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top