Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep, like I said. It's a personal choice. You either like freedom or hate it.

We don't have to agree.

I can go find someone to work on my teeth who isn't a dentist if I want to. Hell man, I even pulled my kid's baby teeth! *GASP* I should be able to go find someone who isn't sanctioned by the government to build a shed or fix a leaky toilet.

View Quote

I've seen your picture.........you are big enough that I would worry you would have pulled her friggin' jaw OUT WITH THE TOOTH!!

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quit paying your taxes and supporting California communist politics.

Let me know how that works out for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, real bunch of freedom loving individuals in this thread, may I suggest democraticunderground.com, the posters over there are much more in line with your government regulation loving ideals.

Quit paying your taxes and supporting California communist politics.

Let me know how that works out for you.

I support Californias communist politics?

Have you quit beating your dog?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OP talks about undercutting all the other remodelers in the area...complains about getting screwed over....
View Quote

Believe it or not, there's actually a difference between electing to work for a lower wage and actually stealing money.

I know, odd concept, right?

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've seen your picture.........you are big enough that I would worry you would have pulled her friggin' jaw OUT WITH THE TOOTH!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, like I said. It's a personal choice. You either like freedom or hate it.

We don't have to agree.

I can go find someone to work on my teeth who isn't a dentist if I want to. Hell man, I even pulled my kid's baby teeth! *GASP* I should be able to go find someone who isn't sanctioned by the government to build a shed or fix a leaky toilet.

I'd put it back, I swear!

I remember the first tooth on one of my daughters. She didn't want me to pull because it might hurt. I said well, let me look at it.....

BOOM, gone.

She never let me get close to her mouth again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I remember the first tooth on one of my daughters. She didn't want me to pull because it might hurt. I said well, let me look at it.....

BOOM, gone.

View Quote

Well NO SHIT...........what are you about 6'6" and 250lbs?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
For those of you who love government regulation, one of the biggest issues with it is that it can't differentiate between a handy man making a few extra bucks, a guy helping a friend, and a 200 million dollar construction company.

Government is a huge, indiscriminate sledge hammer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BOOM, gone.

Not quite 6'6".

You nailed the weight though!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For those of you who love government regulation, one of the biggest issues with it is that it can't differentiate between a handy man making a few extra bucks, a guy helping a friend, and a 200 million dollar construction company.

View Quote

True but why do I have sympathy for the pros like Timco who are getting undercut by people who don't follow the rules like he has to?

I don't know............seems a bit unfair to him.

So I can understand his frustration.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you can't be competitive without the government shitting on your rivals, then I'd assert it's you who has a problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, real bunch of freedom loving individuals in this thread, may I suggest democraticunderground.com, the posters over there are much more in line with your government regulation loving ideals.

^^^ NOT a contractor. Just a blowhard. Easy to talk shit when it's not your wallet being picked by illegal "tradesmen".

If you can't be competitive without the government shitting on your rivals, then I'd assert it's you who has a problem.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

True but why do I have sympathy for the pros like Timco who are getting undercut by people who don't follow the rules like he has to?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely I do. He's probably paid out of his ass to play the game the 'right' way.

I just get frustrated when people who've been in the game forget how hard it is for others to get in it too. Especially when they are proud of or embrace regulation.

At the least we can all agree that government regulation is bad, then go from there.

Unfortunately many in this thread seem to prefer government over personal responsibility.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Absolutely I do. He's probably paid out of his ass to play the game the 'right' way.

I just get frustrated when people who've been in the game forget how hard it is for others to get in it too. Especially when they are proud of or embrace regulation.

At the least we can all agree that government regulation is bad, then go from there.

Unfortunately many in this thread seem to prefer government over personal responsibility.

View Quote

Yes it IS a dilemma.

Sadly I don't have a real answer for it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll bite.

How'd he steal $85 from you?
View Quote

It was all over a matter of 85 dollars.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He blamed you because he drained the trans fluid instead of the engine oil!?
View Quote

Not only blamed him but got OP to pay for it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
*sigh*

You're reading what you want to read, but not what we are actually saying. Once bcauzy and I stopped flinging poo and started talking, we got on each other's page.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

so let me get this straight....undercutting is a bad thing?

fucking commie motherfuckers everywhere on arfcom excuse me while I add to my ignore list...this might take awhile

*sigh*

You're reading what you want to read, but not what we are actually saying. Once bcauzy and I stopped flinging poo and started talking, we got on each other's page.
*sigh*

I never read what you typed
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How the fuck am I going to forget years and years of apprenticeship??

All the thousands spent on training and licensing. Insurance I've never used? Unemployment I can't legally collect? Workmans comp I've never used even when hurt??

Yeah, fuck me with that rusty rake for being a legit company.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#16]
It's the churches fault he's an ass...got it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

All the thousands spent on training and licensing. Insurance I've never used? Unemployment I can't legally collect? Workmans comp I've never used even when hurt??

View Quote

You can't and if regs are removed, reduced, etc., guys like you will be fucked over.

It would be like removing social security over time and people who paid the full amount will be getting screwed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#18]
So Timco, the government fucked you (and other licensed contractors) over, how does demanding everyone else get screwed by the government help you? Doesn't it make a lot more sense to DEREGULATE? Sure it won't help you today, you have already done the apprenticeships, paid workers comp for years, ect. But look at the future, more freedom is always good. "I got screwed, so screw everyone else" isn't a mindset that breeds success now does it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So Timco, the government fucked you (and other licensed contractors) over, how does demanding everyone else get screwed by the government help you? Doesn't it make a lot more sense to DEREGULATE? Sure it won't help you today, you have already done the apprenticeships, paid workers comp for years, ect. But look at the future, more freedom is always good. "I got screwed, so screw everyone else" isn't a mindset that breeds success now does it?
View Quote

I didn't get screwed.

I don't want you messing with 1.5 mil BTU steam boilers or high pressure steam. I want regulation on some things. Explosive gas and pressure vessels and CO emitting stuff inside places where people live certainly make the cut for me. Not just because it's what I do.

I've never said word one about someone helping a neighbor for a few $ when it's their own trade or doing toilets and plugs / switches that any handy person can legally do here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're still missing the point.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Kind of gay, the way it happened.  I taught him a bunch of stuff including fixing his car.  Long story short, I tell him how to change his oil, and he does it.  Drains the tranny fluid instead of the oil.  Tells me I should pay the bill.  I give him a choice, I stop teaching him remodeling, finances etc and give him $85 and walk or....  So after making $3500 in 4 weeks....  I grew up in the country and him the ghetto.

To the jackass who said I undercut.  Funny thing is professionals who I work with are so sick of "contractors" not showing up (they put stuff off), that I am winning the lottery to them.  Amazing what respecting people does...  Sorry for stepping on your toes...
View Quote
Sounds like you didn't teach him very well..

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you want to do things 100% legit, you will have to work twice as hard for half the price.  It pissed me off when I was a contractor and got underbid by someone unlicensed, but I don't blame them one bit.
View Quote
I have to imagine there are a number of licensed contractors that also bid and repair hack jobs by unlicensed folks. You'd think they would refuse to fix the mess to teach the homeowners a lesson.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have to imagine there are a number of licensed contractors that also bid and repair hack jobs by unlicensed folks. You'd think they would refuse to fix the mess to teach the homeowners a lesson.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want to do things 100% legit, you will have to work twice as hard for half the price.  It pissed me off when I was a contractor and got underbid by someone unlicensed, but I don't blame them one bit.

The lesson is taught when the homeowner gets a higher price to fix the screwup than they would have paid to have the pro do it right the first time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The lesson is taught when the homeowner gets a higher price to fix the screwup than they would have paid to have the pro do it right the first time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless it kills the homeowner. Happens frequently enough in my field.

To becrazy, your point has been clear and is antagonistic.

Murica. Do what you want. Anything. Anytime. Anything less isn't "freedom".
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So all you self pro claimed freedom lovers, do you drive without a license and insurance? I mean, if you are only driving around a few times a week, you don't really need it. Fuck the .gov!

Do you poach fish and game? I mean, fuck buying a license and tag! That's for suckers and I believe in freedom!

None of you probably have carry permits either.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So all you self pro claimed freedom lovers, do you drive without a license and insurance? I mean, if you are only driving around a few times a week, you don't really need it. Fuck the .gov!

Do you poach fish and game? I mean, fuck buying a license and tag! That's for suckers and I believe in freedom!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A $15 CCW license is hardly comparable to the requirements imposed on an electrical contractor.

Even still, I don't support those regulations. Do you?

Participating is hardly the same thing as supporting. Timco does what we has to do in order to be legit. I got no beef with that.

Timco supporting and embracing the hand of big gov and all of the bullshit is what I got beef with.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I am not for regulation, but I am not going to be the outlaw. I am going to play by the rules.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think you are missing Timco's point.

All we are saying is this... If I am forced to play by the rules, pay a lot of money, and take a lot of time to be a legal contractor, then I expect everyone else to play by the rules. If you don't play by the rules it puts you at a huge advantage in being able to take my work. I don't like guys who cheat the system and then are able to undercut me because I play it by the book.

I don't like the rules but I have no choice but to follow them or I risk losing my business, fines, losing my house and cars, and a host of other penalties.

Claiming I hate freedom is just absurd. If tomorrow I could get rid off all this regulation with the flick of a switch I would gladly throw that switch, but I cannot, so I am stuck having to put up with it just as much as the next guy.

I don't support people who scam welfare just as much as I don't support guys who don't pay their taxes just as much as I don't support unlicensed contractors just as much as I don't support uninsured drivers.

A cheat is a cheat and both you and I get fucked by cheats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A $15 CCW license is hardly comparable to the requirements imposed on an electrical contractor.

Even still, I don't support those regulations. Do you?

Participating is hardly the same thing as supporting. Timco does what we has to do in order to be legit. I got no beef with that.

Timco supporting and embracing the hand of big gov and all of the bullshit is what I got beef with.

I think you are missing Timco's point.

All we are saying is this... If I am forced to play by the rules, pay a lot of money, and take a lot of time to be a legal contractor, then I expect everyone else to play by the rules. If you don't play by the rules it puts you at a huge advantage in being able to take my work. I don't like guys who cheat the system and then are able to undercut me because I play it by the book.

I don't like the rules but I have no choice but to follow them or I risk losing my business, fines, losing my house and cars, and a host of other penalties.

Claiming I hate freedom is just absurd. If tomorrow I could get rid off all this regulation with the flick of a switch I would gladly throw that switch, but I cannot, so I am stuck having to put up with it just as much as the next guy.

I don't support people who scam welfare just as much as I don't support guys who don't pay their taxes just as much as I don't support unlicensed contractors just as much as I don't support uninsured drivers.

A cheat is a cheat and both you and I get fucked by cheats.

That's where you and Tim are different. He LIKES the rules.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wonder how many here thumping their chest about freedom don't like illegal immigrants coming to this country without going through the proper process and signing the books?

Double standards an all. So long as it fits their argument they will take it to stupid levels when it works in their favor.
View Quote

No, it's a terrible example. The government only has a few jobs. Protecting the borders is SPECIFICALLY written out in the constitution.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am not for regulation, but I am not going to be the outlaw. I am going to play by the rules.
View Quote

Well, most of are forced to. Myself included.

Then again, I have fixed stuff for friends before. I guess I'm an outlaw!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#33]
OP is acting as an unlicensed contractor. Here's a story from his state. I see something similar in his future. Making 75,000 a year on the side is not "making a few buck in spare time".

On March 31st, the Department of Consumer Protection notified Danbury Police of a complaint from an elderly Danbury resident who was having repair work done by employees of Connecticut Builders, and was being urged by company employees to install a chimney liner.
Upon visiting the resident’s home earlier in the day, Connecticut Builders employees Gary Roth, age 20, of Farmingdale, New York and Christopher Koharek, age 19, of Levittown, New York, inspected the home’s chimney and heating system. They then advised the 84 year-old homeowner that the chimney required a liner, and quoted the job at $1,675.00. The homeowner agreed and the men began the job immediately.
When questioned onsite by Danbury police, neither man was able to present a valid Connecticut home improvement contractor registration nor a salesman’s registration, as required by state law. The registration number they provided as Connecticut Builders’ actually belongs to Marc Anthony, an individually registered home improvement contractor.
Gary Roth was charged with one (1) count of criminal attempt at Larceny 2nd degree -- exploitation of the elderly, one (1) count of violating the Connecticut Home Improvement Act, one (1) count of violating the state’s Home Solicitation Sales Act, one (1) count of operating without a trade license and one (1) count of failure to obtain a building permit. Christopher Koharek was charged with one (1) count of conspiracy to perform work without a trade license and one (1) count of conspiracy for failing to obtain a building permit. Contractors or salespersons who operate without a valid registration or license can also be charged with other criminal violations that are applicable.
Commissioner Farrell thanked Danbury Police Chief Alan Baker and his officers for their assistance in this effort.
“We greatly appreciate the support of the Danbury police and other law enforcement officials who join us in ensuring that business in Connecticut is done fairly and legally,” Farrell said today. “Scam artists and unregistered or improperly licensed contractors be warned -- preying on consumers, particularly older adults, will not be tolerated and will be aggressively pursued.”

Strap on some criminal charges. You've already admitted you're guilty. -W

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't think he likes the rules but he doesn't disagree with the rules and he has some valid points.

Do you really want someone who just started in the electrical trade last week wiring your house?

Serious question and I would love to know how you would hire a contractor to wire up your electrical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think he likes the rules but he doesn't disagree with the rules and he has some valid points.

Do you really want someone who just started in the electrical trade last week wiring your house?

Serious question and I would love to know how you would hire a contractor to wire up your electrical.

Only some DU implant makes a claim that because I agree regulation is needed in some trades that I'm for big gov or gun regulation of any kind or emission restrictions or whatever. He creates a 'blanket statement' when in fact he knows jack shit about me or my political beliefs.

Only a child would not be able to separate the two things. <sigh>
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?  I dare you to say doctor, lawyer, engineer, nurse, IT guy....  anything where wages are protected by an arbitrary and artificial certification or licensing requirement.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?  I dare you to say doctor, lawyer, engineer, nurse, IT guy....  anything where wages are protected by an arbitrary and artificial certification or licensing requirement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a cop or a firefighter...

This may be good.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Construction is different though. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can do that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wow, this thread delivers. I recommend everybody in it so far go and purchase a custard pie and smash themselves in the face with it.

Now, seriously, it was a Subaru wasn't it? Everyone drains the tranny fluid by mistake the first time they change the oil; all the available documentation diagrams basically direct you to do this. The transmission drain is much more prominently available under the car than the oil.
View Quote

Same as my 92 Toyota pickup with auto transmission. The trans plug is right on the bottom, the oil plug is at a awkward spot that I can only get a box end wrench on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#41]
First time I tried to change my oil at 16 I drained the transmission instead of the oil per my dad's instruction.  Shit happens.  Haven't done it again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
People are generally fucking retarded.

A hundred years ago when I was managing an auto parts store, I had to fire my asst. manager because he stole $40 out of a register he closed down.

View Quote

wat?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#43]
A lot don't think much of friendship, I have dealt with people like that to.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

References, certifications, experience, bonding and insurance.

How would anyone do it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Only some DU implant makes a claim that because I agree regulation is needed in some trades that I'm for big gov or gun regulation of any kind or emission restrictions or whatever. He creates a 'blanket statement' when in fact he knows jack shit about me or my political beliefs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said you like regulation. It's true.

I never claimed you held any other beliefs, I only said they were similar.

I hope you read and comprehend basic English better than you work.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm fine with wages being protected by arbitrary and artificial what-the-fuck-ever. As long as it's not the government doing the enforcing.

How fucking hard is this to comprehend?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

wat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People are generally fucking retarded.

A hundred years ago when I was managing an auto parts store, I had to fire my asst. manager because he stole $40 out of a register he closed down.

wat?

You find the answers you seek here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a troll. Now bash post wording when you don't have jack shit to whine about. Just bitch and whine and accuse. I'm at the top of my trade, pal. That's why I have no tolerance for unlicensed and uninsured hacks. You're in a deeeeep state of denial to how this really works, but many homemoaners just hate the gov and want to drag me into their piss party because I'm legit and complied. I don't sweat your dislike of my state license. It's ok. I'll renew it when it's time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You are a troll. Now bash post wording when you don't have jack shit to whine about. Just bitch and whine and accuse. I'm at the top of my trade, pal. That's why I have no tolerance for unlicensed and uninsured hacks. You're in a deeeeep state of denial to how this really works, but many homemoaners just hate the gov and want to drag me into their piss party because I'm legit and complied. I don't sweat your dislike of my state license. It's ok. I'll renew it when it's time.
View Quote

You are just sandy because you are clearly unable to comprehend the issue at hand.

I don't expect anything else from you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You are just sandy because you are clearly unable to comprehend the issue at hand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are really one insulting little poster, ain't you. I'll keep doing my job. Hope you're as good at yours.

Poke and troll someone else FFS. State your case or shut the fuck up already.
Page / 8
Top Top