Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Boy, who couldn't see this coming?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#2]
nicholascageyoudon'tsay.gif

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, it's always interesting to watch reality slap these special snowflakes across the face when they get out of college. What sucks is that this has been done to them on purpose. When everyone is more interested in preserving the kids "self esteem" rather than learning anything. This is all part of the "Everyone gets a Trophy" bullshit of raising kids. When the kids have no idea how to handle "No" or losing a game, they really flip out when the stakes are higher.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL.  I went to a Catholic college where I took a course in Moral Theology of St. Paul.  The monk teaching the class told us that to prep for the final exam, "be prepared to vomit back anything and everything we have covered this semester."

On the other hand, in law school our Evidence professor gave a 100 question multiple choice exam.  He held a review session two days prior for FOUR HOURS.  The questions at the review session were nearly identical to the ones on the exam.  He STILL had people get Fs.  Invariably, when questioned, those F students admitted they had NOT attended the review session.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Faculty also noted an increased tendency for students to blame them (the faculty) for low grades—they weren’t explicit enough in telling the students just what the test would cover or just what would distinguish a good paper from a bad one.

LOL.  I went to a Catholic college where I took a course in Moral Theology of St. Paul.  The monk teaching the class told us that to prep for the final exam, "be prepared to vomit back anything and everything we have covered this semester."

On the other hand, in law school our Evidence professor gave a 100 question multiple choice exam.  He held a review session two days prior for FOUR HOURS.  The questions at the review session were nearly identical to the ones on the exam.  He STILL had people get Fs.  Invariably, when questioned, those F students admitted they had NOT attended the review session.

Looks like the review session was the real test--a test to see if people actually cared about the course and could listen to instructions.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how much of the anxiety is generated by people who have no business attending college vs the grade grubber type mentioned in the article.

In general, people suck at life.  It is known.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Holy shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too many people are not being told "Just Fucking Deal With It" when it comes to simple things in life....

Where did that "Modern Man" list go...

25. The modern man has no use for a gun. He doesn’t own one, and he never will.

26. The modern man cries. He cries often.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/fashion/mens-style/27-ways-to-be-a-modern-man.html?_r=0

Holy shit.

Holy shit indeed.

That level of repression leads to deviancy.

Probably has a freezer full of bodies already.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can believe it. A lot of people I know who are in their early 20's (friends of my wife) are still hung up on the idea of things being 'fair'. Thankfully now that most of them are out of college and in the real world, they are wising up pretty quickly.
View Quote

I'm so fucking sick of hearing "that's not fair". Where did people get this idea that someone somehow somewhere is guaranteeing that all aspects of life are " fair"?  Wrf?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Lol, I'm 27 and I even saw this in my generation.

It sickitates me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm so fucking sick of hearing "that's not fair". Where did people get this idea that someone somehow somewhere is guaranteeing that all aspects of life are " fair"?  Wrf?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can believe it. A lot of people I know who are in their early 20's (friends of my wife) are still hung up on the idea of things being 'fair'. Thankfully now that most of them are out of college and in the real world, they are wising up pretty quickly.

The new generation feels that three things are their given rights (would have said God given, but they don't believe in God. They are way too euphoric for that):

- I have the right to not be offended.

- Life must be fair.

- I have the right to have what everyone else has, and do what everyone else gets to do. Anything else is unfair, so see number 2.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm so fucking sick of hearing "that's not fair".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm so fucking sick of hearing "that's not fair".

Are you talking about the new Code of Conduct thread?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Stop lying.

He is not even close to being as hideous as you are.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my oldest son is tragically as ugly as I am.  
but he is scoring girl friends waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of his league.

this article finally figured it out for me.

he is a man amongst boys.

Raise your boys to be men and the world will kneel before them.

and enjoy the lamentations of the feminists.

Stop lying.

Is he taller?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#13]
16 is retarded.
What is emo man going to fight with? His wispy hipster  beard?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is he taller?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop lying.

Is he taller?

thankfully.
but, as I remind him regularly, it is no great feat to be so.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Mandatory 2 year military service, snap these pussies into the real world, grow a thicker skin and gain some perspective on what real problems are like.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol @ #16 vs. #25.  That whole list is pretty fucking stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too many people are not being told "Just Fucking Deal With It" when it comes to simple things in life....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/fashion/mens-style/27-ways-to-be-a-modern-man.html?_r=0

16. The modern man lies on the side of the bed closer to the door. If an intruder gets in, he will try to fight him off, so that his wife has a chance to get away.

Sixteen was especially amusing because it was written for a newspaper that largely circulates in Manhattan. Sixteen and a half should say that a modern man knows how to levitate his wife.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the actual fuck was that beta male hipster faggotry?!?!?!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
In the words of a prominent academic, "fuck the undergrads"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what happens when you push anyone and everyone with an IQ higher than a goldfish to go to college. You end up with a lot of people who dont have the motivation, maturity or intellectual ability to be there.
Many students, they said, now view a C, or sometimes even a B, as failure, and they interpret such "failure” as the end of the world.

Ok well when you have to maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher to keep your scholarship students start getting really upset with anything less than a A. Even straight Bs would cause you do loose your scholarship. And with the cost of education its understandable for them to panic. Again this problem could be solved if less people went to college....less demand for college = lower tuition rates.

Ahh but if less people went to college then there would be less need for college professors.  Can't have a lot of blowhards non practitioners without jobs.

This depends on the major. Most professors I know in the sciences would be perfectly happy to not teach undergrads at all. For them teaching is only a small part of their job.

In the words of a prominent academic, "fuck the undergrads"

Those are the sentiments of all academics.

ETA: I don't see this shit in my department, but whenever we have to interact with folks from different departments, it is a real eye opener. For example, our department has a major specific grad student social club. To get funding, we need to attend the grad student association meetings. The folks leading the club all got emails about proper decorum at the GSA. This included a 30 fucking page document primarily about the definition of business casual and why it is important. The folks who attended in the past all resigned due the mind numbing feel good self important bullshit they have to sit through.

I am increasingly convinced that all of the bullshit we see coming out of universities is primarily driven by the lunatic fringe in bogus humanities departments.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

College personnel everywhere are struggling with students' increased neediness

Some said they had grown afraid to give low grades for poor performance, because of the subsequent emotional crises they would have to deal with in their offices
View Quote

View Quote

They need to hire some recently retired senior NCOs for this.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

16. The modern man lies on the side of the bed closer to the door. If an intruder gets in, he will try to fight him off, so that his wife has a chance to get away.

Sixteen was especially amusing because it was written for a newspaper that largely circulates in Manhattan. Sixteen and a half should say that a modern man knows how to levitate his wife.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my second thought.  Get away to where?  And then what happens?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#22]
They're so fragile because they're allowed to be.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sounds to me like the faculty can't handle their own emotional problems when dealing with students.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Faculty at the meetings noted that students’ emotional fragility has become a serious problem when in comes to grading. Some said they had grown afraid to give low grades for poor performance, because of the subsequent emotional crises they would have to deal with in their offices

Sounds to me like the faculty can't handle their own emotional problems when dealing with students.

Faculty are tired of having students and their parent call the dean and raise hell. The dean then pressures the instructor to raise the grades.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Faculty also noted an increased tendency for students to blame them (the faculty) for low grades—they weren’t explicit enough in telling the students just what the test would cover or just what would distinguish a good paper from a bad one.

That first one reminds me of the Bar course.

Him: "I've been told that I'm allowed to give you a hint about the topic areas covered in your Civil & Admin exam."

Us: "Yay!"

Him: "The exam can cover any area dealt with in CPR 1 or CPR 2 and will definitely include elements from both. I'd suggest re-reading them before the exam."

Us: "But... they're about 3,000 pages long - each!"

Him: "In that case you'd better get reading "

It was one of the few times I've seen someone use that "evil grin smiley" in real life...

Rinse and repeat for several other subject areas

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How could he not be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop lying.

Is he taller?

How could he not be?

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm an agnostic non-believer, but every night I still thank God (just in case) for my kids.  They're not perfect, but at least they aren't whiney, self-indulgent, self-absorbed little shits who were raised in bubble wrap.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Him: "I've been told that I'm allowed to give you a hint about the topic areas covered in your Civil & Admin exam."
Him: "The exam can cover any area dealt with in CPR 1 or CPR 2 and will definitely include elements from both. I'd suggest re-reading them before the exam."

It was one of the few times I've seen someone use that "evil grin smiley" in real life...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am convinced that the bar exam is merely a hazing ritual inflicted for the enjoyment of those who already passed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Students involving their parents in a grade dispute?

Yea, how about no.  I don't think I would insult my parents like that.

Besides, they would have sided on the part of the Prof and conspired to further deflate the grade.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How could he not be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop lying.

Is he taller?

How could he not be?

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop lying.

Is he taller?

How could he not be?

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop lying.

Is he taller?

How could he not be?

Is Sylvan some kind of angry midget?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Graduated in 2008 from OSU...

Definitely saw some people who couldn't cut it in the real world. We had a very cool international studies/history professor. Army in Vietnam... Was talking about the war and brought an AK47 in to show people what it was. (Pretty sure it was fake. Probably airsoft.) So may libtards complained then dropped the class because they were frightened.
View Quote

sounds like a good way to weed out the non hackers
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ok well when you have to maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher to keep your scholarship students start getting really upset with anything less than a A. Even straight Bs would cause you do loose your scholarship. And with the cost of education its understandable for them to panic. Again this problem could be solved if less people went to college....less demand for college = lower tuition rates.
View Quote

At this point less demand would screw the institutions that have taken on large debt to expand to accommodate the hoard of debtor-students. There's a conscious effort at my alma mater to fill seats with out of state students to maximize tuition. Less than half come from instate.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It is a direct result of the war on boys waged in the educational system.
View Quote

The waged by generals like Donna Shalala and Bill Ayers for example?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Students are increasingly seeking help for, and apparently having emotional crises over, problems of everyday life. Recent examples mentioned included a student who felt traumatized because her roommate had called her a “bitch” and two students who had sought counseling because they had seen a mouse in their off-campus apartment. The latter two also called the police, who kindly arrived and set a mousetrap for them.

Faculty at the meetings noted that students’ emotional fragility has become a serious problem when in comes to grading. Some said they had grown afraid to give low grades for poor performance, because of the subsequent emotional crises they would have to deal with in their offices
View Quote

This bodes well for our future and definitely makes the case for expansion of student loan programs
View Quote

Just give them all a Participation Trophy. That's what they are used to.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

There is a disconnect, the school thinks all students should be getting As &Bs but the professors think they should be giving out Cs & Ds.

View Quote

Are you sure there's really a disconnect? School convinces you to go on the basis of scholarship. School then wriggles out of having to pay the full amount by making sure you don't meet their "minimum grade" requirement. Now that you've already started the course, it's much more likely that you'll pay to complete it.

Sounds like a good business model to me

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Just working the system that liberals built
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

and their pet males on leashes driven before you....
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...Faculty at the meetings noted that students’ emotional fragility has become a serious problem when in comes to grading. Some said they had grown afraid to give low grades for poor performance, because of the subsequent emotional crises they would have to deal with in their offices

Truth there...

I went to school with a very pretty young lady....I sat down with one day at lunch and tried to make friends....she told me she couldn't
be friends with me as her dad would not approve of me and neither would the body guard sent with her to watch over her..

She was polite and very much a Mafiosa's daughter....

Always wondered how she dealt with a hole professors....
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hard times make hard people
Hard people make good times
Good times make soft people
Soft people make hard times

...guess where we're at in that?
View Quote

We are at he milquetoast phase.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Any kids I have are going to be like gods in the brave new world.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's to little Sylvan stretchin' some puss!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, some things are not fair, such as cheating. What phrase shall we use instead?  "That's not cricket, old chap?"  
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mandatory 2 year military service, snap these pussies into the real world, grow a thicker skin and gain some perspective on what real problems are like.
View Quote

Our military has been done enough harm recently without turning it into a babysitting service for 200 pound toddlers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#46]
I had an awesome professor at the college that I went to that would read us the riot act at the beginning of the first class of every semester.

Part of it was somthing along of the lines that, I don't care about your feels, because if I did, I wouldn't be preparing you for the real world. Do your work, when and how I say to do it and you will get an A.

I always liked his classes. You had about 6 hours of work and about the same amount of time of study each week, but you actually learned the material.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm an agnostic non-believer, but every night I still thank God (just in case) for my kids.  They're not perfect, but at least they aren't whiney, self-indulgent, self-absorbed little shits who were raised in bubble wrap.
View Quote

Not perfect?

From what we've seen of them, any man worth his salt would be damned proud of them.  They were raised well and will make great citizens.  Well done!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

As toddlers, people teach their kids to "share" and "be fair". Unfortunately, parents don't modify that as the kids get older.

My kids used to complain about shit not being fair, and I would tell them, "There is no such thing as fair, it is what it is." The are 15 and 19 now, and they can recite it when they hear others make the "it's not fair" statement.

Somebody stole your lollipop? Tough shit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#49]
This is what happens when the PC culture catches up with reality.

Quoted:

Somebody stole your lollipop? Tough shit.
View Quote

Either take it back and remind them not to do it in the future, or STFU.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#50]
I just graduated in August, and I am not the least bit surprised by this article.

It's not just students, though, and it's not just young people, either.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top