Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
but turning the firing pin all the way back to its required set back did the trick
View Quote

I had something similar happen with the bolt of a 1903 Springfield. Was going to suggest this but I came to the thread late and you found the answer before I got through reading the post. Good luck, hope he enjoys his new rifle !
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bwahahaha theft of services??  You guys crack me up with this shit.  If you are serious, you honestly have mental problems.

You are wandering into "delusional leftist" territory if you fucking think you are entitled to my business if I just because I visited your store.  And then to go as far as to say that maybe I should be charged with theft for having the nerve to buy something for a cheaper price than yours reads like something straight out of the commie play book.  

These entitled twats who think everyone owes you something because you own a business need to get a fucking grip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, a couple questions.

Why did you wait until 2 weeks before the season? And where did you try a dozen rifles if you ordered online?

You see, there's this thing called a store. You can visit one locally and try shit out. Find something that you like and then order it online.

\Yeah, but that's Grade-A dickhead behavior and borderline theft of services.

Bwahahaha theft of services??  You guys crack me up with this shit.  If you are serious, you honestly have mental problems.

You are wandering into "delusional leftist" territory if you fucking think you are entitled to my business if I just because I visited your store.  And then to go as far as to say that maybe I should be charged with theft for having the nerve to buy something for a cheaper price than yours reads like something straight out of the commie play book.  

These entitled twats who think everyone owes you something because you own a business need to get a fucking grip.
Remind us to quote you when all of your LGS close because nobody felt like paying for their physical overhead, because the Internet could save buyers $3, and then you have nowhere nearby to conduct transfers.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Did anyone read the OP's several posts explaning how the sale went down ?

He visited several shops, they looked at the rifle at several LGS but they didn't have the caliber. Finally went to a LGS who offered to order it for them who also has an internet connection. So he DID buy it from a LGS, afterall.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Damn you're old!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that sucks.  Fairly certain they'll make it right.

My dad's tactic was to take me to every outdoors/gun store within driving distance.  Check out long gun  after long gun for hours on end finding the smallest thing wrong with each and never getting me one.

Good God, we could be long lost Brothers!  My Dad was the same way.  And when he did buy something, instead of getting me what I wanted, he'd get what he wanted and it would disappear into his room and I'd never see it again.

Then Mom took me to JC Penney and got me a Winchester 94, which is what I wanted from the get go.  Thanks Mom!
Damn you're old!  

My first gun (a single shot 20 gauge) was bought at Kmart.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Guess what this is the sound of??

http://youtu.be/rYacIeMLwes

If you can't see the video, what you missed hearing was the sound of a firing pin going all the way home and setting off a primed piece of brass. (You can only do this sort of thing when the wife is out of the house...)

I'm still missing the roll pin, but turning the firing pin all the way back to its required set back did the trick. I'll hit Graingers or call Ruger on Monday for a roll pin.

Much thanks for everyone's help. We're back in business. I love Arfcom...
View Quote

Judging by the description of your solution you increased the pin protrusion? If so, this may cause primer piercing in live rounds. It probably won't show up on prined brass alone. For short term its OK but the little piece of cup that breaks free can get back into the bolt and then you'll definitely just get clicks.

Try it though! It may not be a problem at all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You see, there's this thing called a store. You can visit one locally and try shit out. Find something that you like and then order it online.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

Why did you wait until 2 weeks before the season? And where did you try a dozen rifles if you ordered online?

Ahh yes, and then lament the eventual closing of the local gun shop because there was just not enough other guys actually buying their stuff from him to keep your internet firearms showroom open...
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe instead of waiting on Ruger to correct the issue have a local smith check it out?  I know it will cost money but it may be worth it to have the rifle ready for your boy to use come opening day.
View Quote

How is having the rifle fixed a year from now going to fix the issue?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#8]
sounds like a great learning experience.  now you get to show the kid how to fix things too
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

And folks wonder why gun store owners despise some customers..

Edit- understandable in your case, nobody stocked it, but I worked at a LGS for about 5 years. Nothing will piss you off more than wasting an hour with some fuckwad that has to finger fuck every item to find "the one" only to have them say: "Cool, that's the one I want." only to have them turn to their buddy who is searching online for it and say "It's ten bucks cheaper on X's website." and leave.

Not 100% sure but a roll pin my not be strong enough in that application. Take it to a competent Smith. You don't want to pierce a primer or have it come back into your kids face.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Guess what this is the sound of??

http://youtu.be/rYacIeMLwes

If you can't see the video, what you missed hearing was the sound of a firing pin going all the way home and setting off a primed piece of brass. (You can only do this sort of thing when the wife is out of the house...)

I'm still missing the roll pin, but turning the firing pin all the way back to its required set back did the trick. I'll hit Graingers or call Ruger on Monday for a roll pin.

Much thanks for everyone's help. We're back in business. I love Arfcom...
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting. Makes me wonder if Ruger is test firing their bolt guns at all or if somebody at the ffl played with it and reassembled it wrong.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

\Yeah, but that's Grade-A dickhead behavior and borderline theft of services.

Car dealerships love people like that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Just curious why you picked 300BLK for a deer rifle?

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had same issue.

Bolt was packed with grease.

Cleaned out and oiled and bang.

Take the bolt apart.  

View Quote

Sometimes just easier to "bake it" if you are not the type to take things apart. About 150* should do for about 45 minutes. Then flush with a can of carb cleaner.

Then oil it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just curious why you picked 300BLK for a deer rifle?

View Quote

my bet would be 30-30 ballistics, in a decently priced bolt gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Rugar: ruining American dreams, one rifle at a time.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top