User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I guess we just aren't professional enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And yet NYPD can carry firearms anywhere in the USA, and I can not.  Seems legit

I guess we just aren't professional enough.

Can't carry into NFL games.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It would be both financially and logistically impossible for the NYPD to provide what any knowledgeable person would consider a "reasonable" level of training.

Not to mention the fact that the NYPD has traditionally been laughably behind the curve in terms of firearms training and equipment.

In the early 90's, I carried my duty gun in a holster the design of which dated back to the 40's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems like NYPD prefers one time solutions to training problems, like 12 goddamn pound triggers.  Unbelievable.  

Cheaper and more easy to explain than actual, useful training.

It would be both financially and logistically impossible for the NYPD to provide what any knowledgeable person would consider a "reasonable" level of training.

Not to mention the fact that the NYPD has traditionally been laughably behind the curve in terms of firearms training and equipment.

In the early 90's, I carried my duty gun in a holster the design of which dated back to the 40's.

I don't know the level of dues that NYPD members pay to their local, but when one looks at trade unions as an example the burden of training is not solely upon the employer it is largely upon the union. Could the additional training not be accounted for by the union itself? The training is not fiscally or logistically impossible it is more that no one in any position that matters is expressing or enforcing the wish for this to happen.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

From another source:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe I missed something, but I understood the article to say that the UC and the BG were seated in the back seat of a car. If so, that's some remarkable shooting.

From another source:

The undercover handed over the $2,400 he brought to buy two semiautomatic handguns, then jumped out of the car, pulled out his own weapon and fired 11 rounds at the alleged would-be robber, Alvin Smothers, 37, hitting him in the arm and shoulder.

That much money? Wonder what they were getting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't know the level of dues that NYPD members pay to their local, but when one looks at trade unions as an example the burden of training is not solely upon the employer it is largely upon the union. Could the additional training not be accounted for by the union itself? The training is not fiscally or logistically impossible it is more that no one in any position that matters is expressing or enforcing the wish for this to happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems like NYPD prefers one time solutions to training problems, like 12 goddamn pound triggers.  Unbelievable.  

Cheaper and more easy to explain than actual, useful training.

Actions taken in the field as a result of non-departmental approved training can result in departmental discipline and open the officer to personal civil liability.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
#ohwell
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude should be charged with manslaughter.

I garuntee you that if a normal person shot someone with their chl and missed and killed a person they'd be up on manslaughter charges.

#ohwell

LOL.  That ship sailed.  You ain't edgy, you just trollin.  Badly.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is it with the lack of shooting skills in the NYPD?

Seems like you hear of them accidentally shooting bystanders more than you hear of them intentionally shooting bad guys.
I swear a 3 year old child could shoot better...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Extorris thread.
View Quote

Yup.  Best in Show.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
only one bystander?
their aim is getting better
View Quote

Apparently it is.  They hit him not once, but twice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]
NYPD needs heavier triggers to make the cops more aware of the  weapon's firing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only the police should have guns.
Hand up, don't shoot.
#innocentbystanderlivesmatter
View Quote

Don't confuse NYPD with "police", in general.  They are the exception, not the rule.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Reported.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Extorris thread.

Reported.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#14]
When your culture is afraid of guns, your culture will neglect to teach proper gun safety.

The fact that he was hit twice by "accident" sorta irks me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When your culture is afraid of guns, your culture will neglect to teach proper gun safety.

The fact that he was hit twice by "accident" sorta irks me.
View Quote

it was clearly an accident.
had the officer been targeting that guy, he would have missed every shot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't confuse NYPD with "police", in general.  They are the exception, not the rule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only the police should have guns.
Hand up, don't shoot.
#innocentbystanderlivesmatter

Police marksmanship is actually pretty shitty in general.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:41:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Could the NYPD be any more of a joke?
View Quote

They are, "on the job," up there." Not like the rest of us , "humps."
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's even safer!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they still using those terrible 10lb triggers?

12 lbs.

That's even safer!

Well then, a 24lb trigger would be double safe then.......
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's even safer!

Give them nagant  revolvers  you could hang a deer from the trigger on one of those and it won't fire in double action.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:53:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Three pages and not once has anyone bothered to ask what the physical details of the shooting actually were.

How far apart was the officer and the suspect?  Where was the bystander in relation to the others?  Where did the fired rounds impact?  What was the time frame involved in the shooting?  How many people were in the area when it occurred?  What was the backstop visible to the officer when he fired?

Trying to evaluate the appropriateness of someone's actions without the mechanics of what they actually did, only the outcomes, is like judging the performance in a race by looking only at the scores.  Results matter, but they aren't the sole source of meaning.  Plenty of people, officers and armed civilians alike, have gotten into shootings that were utterly idiotic, and nothing came of it because no one was hurt.  Plenty of people, officers and armed civilians alike, have taken action in times and places where no reasonable person standing there could disagree with what they did.  Regardless, it's incredibly rare that people reading the news have the ability or opportunity to accurately judge the totality of the situation from the information they're given, and their own subject matter experience.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Three pages and not once has anyone bothered to ask what the physical details of the shooting actually were.

How far apart was the officer and the suspect?  Where was the bystander in relation to the others?  Where did the fired rounds impact?  What was the time frame involved in the shooting?  How many people were in the area when it occurred?  What was the backstop visible to the officer when he fired?

Trying to evaluate the appropriateness of someone's actions without the mechanics of what they actually did, only the outcomes, is like judging the performance in a race by looking only at the scores.  Results matter, but they aren't the sole source of meaning.  Plenty of people, officers and armed civilians alike, have gotten into shootings that were utterly idiotic, and nothing came of it because no one was hurt.  Plenty of people, officers and armed civilians alike, have taken action in times and places where no reasonable person standing there could disagree with what they did.  Regardless, it's incredibly rare that people reading the news have the ability or opportunity to accurately judge the totality of the situation from the information they're given, and their own subject matter experience.
View Quote

It is not customary to contaminate a good GD thread with facts, logic, or reasoned judgement.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top