User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lack of training.
50 rounds at paper twice a year isn't training.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is it with the lack of shooting skills in the NYPD?

Lack of training.

No it isn't and it is appalling.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Seems like you hear of them accidentally shooting bystanders more than you hear of them intentionally shooting bad guys.

I swear a 3 year old child could shoot better...
View Quote

I will start off by saying there are a million and one factors that go into a shooting scenario, so it's hard to second guess based on just the article BUT, I would think there is a certain level of responsibility by the department to co troll the buy/bust as much as possible, including a remote or secured location, cover officers, ect.

The publics safety should be THE FIRST consideration when planning these types of operations.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of training.

No one in a position to change it cares so wash, rinse, repeat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Needs an official statement to the effect that "At least they got some guns off the street."
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This same unit had two undercovers killed in '03 when their buy and bust went south.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Batf managed to shoot up a grocery store parking lot upstate once when what they thought was a buy turned out to be a robbery, I think one officer was killed

This same unit had two undercovers killed in '03 when their buy and bust went south.

I remember that, the Verrazano bridge was shut down to trap the shooter .
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Batf managed to shoot up a grocery store parking lot upstate once when what they thought was a buy turned out to be a robbery, I think one officer was killed

Try, try, until you succeed...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting side note, the shooter went on to knock up a female federal prison guard while in custody.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Interesting side note, the shooter went on to knock up a female federal prison guard while in custody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feral????

Whoops, thought you wrote feral instead of federal! My bad.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems like most of these cases come from NY or Kali with Georgia coming in third.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Could the NYPD be any more of a joke?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is there any other time of Murder?

Capitol murder is just semantics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the alleged gun seller get charged with manslaughter?   Bystander killed as result of criminal act?

Felony murder.

Is there any other time of Murder?

Capitol murder is just semantics.

"Felony murder" is a legal term of art. It's a category of murder that applies when someone dies as a result of the accused committing a felony, or in the process thereof.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Could the NYPD be any more of a joke?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good luck with that. My friends that are instructors say they have been trying to get the department to approve better training for over a decade with barely any luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That said, realistic training under stress and requiring much higher marksmanship from officers should be required from nearly all P.D.

Good luck with that. My friends that are instructors say they have been trying to get the department to approve better training for over a decade with barely any luck.

Had a cop tell me one time he was "too busy fighting crime to train" in regards to learning how to use his Duty weapons.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Needs an official statement to the effect that "At least they got some guns off the street."
View Quote

and gotta break a few eggs if you want to make and omelet...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Meh, screws fall out all the time. The world's an imperfect place.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That said, realistic training under stress and requiring much higher marksmanship from officers should be required from nearly all P.D.

Seems like NYPD prefers one time solutions to training problems, like 12 goddamn pound triggers.  Unbelievable.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Only 1,bystander?  Cuz we are talking about NYPD.  .
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Seems like NYPD prefers one time solutions to training problems, like 12 goddamn pound triggers.  Unbelievable.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheaper and more easy to explain than actual, useful training.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe I missed something, but I understood the article to say that the UC and the BG were seated in the back seat of a car. If so, that's some remarkable shooting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe I missed something, but I understood the article to say that the UC and the BG were seated in the back seat of a car. If so, that's some remarkable shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From another source:

The undercover handed over the $2,400 he brought to buy two semiautomatic handguns, then jumped out of the car, pulled out his own weapon and fired 11 rounds at the alleged would-be robber, Alvin Smothers, 37, hitting him in the arm and shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

From another source:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From another source:

The undercover handed over the $2,400 he brought to buy two semiautomatic handguns, then jumped out of the car, pulled out his own weapon and fired 11 rounds at the alleged would-be robber, Alvin Smothers, 37, hitting him in the arm and shoulder.

Wow.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be both financially and logistically impossible for the NYPD to provide what any knowledgeable person would consider a "reasonable" level of training.

Not to mention the fact that the NYPD has traditionally been laughably behind the curve in terms of firearms training and equipment.

In the early 90's, I carried my duty gun in a holster the design of which dated back to the 40's.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#23]
how do you put a stray round in the wrong guy TWICE?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Use the same bad aim at the same target twice. The same way you put 2 rounds an inch apart on the edge of the paper when target shooting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Link

The 61-year-old bystander hit by a stray bullet when an undercover NYPD cop opened fire during a gun buy-and-bust gone bad has died, officials said Saturday.

Felix Kumi, of Mount Vernon, died of his wounds at Jacobi Medical Center at 12:55 a.m. Saturday, police said.

He was shot twice in the midsection about 4 p.m. Friday when an undercover officer blasted away at a man armed with a fake firearm trying to steal the cash the cop was about to use to purchase two guns as part of an undercover investigation in Mount Vernon.
View Quote
View Quote

Onion link?
What a cluster fuck. hard to believe it's real
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It would be both financially and logistically impossible for the NYPD to provide what any knowledgeable person would consider a "reasonable" level of training.
Not to mention the fact that the NYPD has traditionally been laughably behind the curve in terms of firearms training and equipment.
In the early 90's, I carried my duty gun in a holster the design of which dated back to the 40's.
View Quote

It's still in use too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Use the same bad aim at the same target twice. The same way you put 2 rounds an inch apart on the edge of the paper when target shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bro, do you even 12lb trigger?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's still in use too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's still in use too.

Didn't y'all stay with FMJ/LRN 'till the mid '90s as well?

ETA:  Never mind, found an article on it---it was 1998.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/07/09/nyregion/new-york-police-will-start-using-deadlier-bullets.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

#ohwell
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude should be charged with manslaughter.

I garuntee you that if a normal person shot someone with their chl and missed and killed a person they'd be up on manslaughter charges.

#ohwell

You gonna get

Listed
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Certainly, and I'm sure someone finally got that promotion because of two very pretty graphs showing a decline in NDs and less money spent on recurrent training.   But because it doesn't directly address the problem there are unintended consequences- officers now need even more training that they're not getting because it's harder to shoot with a 12# trigger than a factory one.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Certainly, and I'm sure someone finally got that promotion because of two very pretty graphs showing a decline in NDs and less money spent on recurrent training.   But because it doesn't directly address the problem there are unintended consequences- officers now need even more training that they're not getting because it's harder to shoot with a 12# trigger than a factory one.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spreadsheet policing, bro. It's the way of the world.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, at least that cop can depend on the top brass backing him up.
View Quote

Nothing happened to my co-worker who killed the grandmother. He's a supervisor now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nothing happened to my co-worker who killed the grandmother. He's a supervisor now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he'd been on vacation when that happened, he'd still be beat trash.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he hadn't of gotten involved he would have been promoted sooner.
Best part was when he tried to put in for a medal for being involved in a shooting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

That's what I would think but a murder charge instead of manslaughter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does the alleged gun seller get charged with manslaughter?   Bystander killed as result of criminal act?

Talk about some fucked up moral hazard: this would INCENTIVIZE the NYPD to spray and pray in these situations, since the consequences are placed on someone else.  If you want fewer innocent bystanders, you need more consequences for the officers, not fewer.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Talk about some fucked up moral hazard: this would INCENTIVIZE the NYPD to spray and pray in these situations, since the consequences are placed on someone else.  If you want fewer innocent bystanders, you need more consequences for the officers, not fewer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who says they care about having fewer innocent bystanders hit? The fact that this has happened for decades and nothing has been changed shows that it's not real high on the priorities list.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surely you don't think that a few bystanders are more important than the cause of "getting guns off the streets"?

Everybody knows that guns (except for cop guns) cause violence, so only cops should have them.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Lack of training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of training.

Wow....

That is much less than I even guessed....
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Innocent citizens' lives do not trump officer safety.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Extorris thread.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Extorris thread.
View Quote

Reported.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#43]
And yet NYPD can carry firearms anywhere in the USA, and I can not.  Seems legit
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Reported.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Extorris thread.

Reported.

Reported for reporting
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Reported.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Extorris thread.

Reported.

#butthurt reported
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And yet NYPD can carry firearms anywhere in the USA, and I can not.  Seems legit
View Quote

<3 HR 218
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Reported.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Extorris thread.

Reported.

I spit beer on my iPad!  LOL!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#48]
It's worth it to win the war on guns.

If you want to make an omelet you have to kill some people.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Funny/sad part is most gun people shoot better than most cops because they don't take the time to become proficiant in shooting.

Even when shooting was work I enjoyed the shit out of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny/sad part is most gun people shoot better than most cops because they don't take the time to become proficiant in shooting.

Even when shooting was work I enjoyed the shit out of it.

What pisses me off the most are the arrogrant cops that think they can shoot better or handle firearms better just because they are cops. Cop a ND in the parking lot at an IPSC shoot last year before the shoot. Wasn't allowed to shoot, nonrefundable refund. Made a big stink that he was a cop. RO said I don't give a fuck who you are. ND is immediate ejection .
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess we just aren't professional enough.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top