BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep, last year not far from here. Tragic.
IIRC the FAA eventually cleared him. I think they states he did follow proper emergency procedures and he never saw the victims walking on the beach.
I have no idea what really happened but it was tragic indeed. At the very least I hope the pilot never flies again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

IIRC the FAA eventually cleared him. I think they states he did follow proper emergency procedures and he never saw the victims walking on the beach.
I have no idea what really happened but it was tragic indeed. At the very least I hope the pilot never flies again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before the guy ranting about "rich guys" and their "elitist toys" who should kill themselves by ditching in the water.

IIRC that was quite a purse-swinging thread a while back.

It's a no win with GD, in that thread he ditched in the water and killed someone.

Yeah, look how deep the water is!

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_fl_plane_crash_140727_16x9_992.jpg

Fuck Kokomoor and RIP to Ommy and Oceana.

You are as wrong in this thread as you were in the TopGear thread.  

You hope he never flies because he had an accident?   Shit he must have deserved it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thread summery....

Pilots are assholes and non pilots are morons.

<asshole
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Plane must have been a Beechcraft.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Plane must have been a Beechcraft.
View Quote

BaDum....TSSSSH!    
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

IIRC the FAA eventually cleared him. I think they stated he did follow proper emergency procedures and he never saw the victims walking on the beach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before the guy ranting about "rich guys" and their "elitist toys" who should kill themselves by ditching in the water.

It's a no win with GD, in that thread he ditched in the water and killed someone.

IIRC the FAA eventually cleared him. I think they stated he did follow proper emergency procedures and he never saw the victims walking on the beach.

This is not supported by this

Pay attention to this, and this will be cleared up
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe I am alone in this but if I had caused the death of two people while flying I would seriously consider returning my pilots license and just drive to the beach.
The rest of you can make your own moral decisions.
I have heard it said a any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. I do not think it was this time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe I am alone in this but if I had caused the death of two people while flying I would seriously consider returning my pilots license and just drive to the beach.
I have heard it said a any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. I do not think it was this time.
View Quote

What are you going to do when you have a car accident?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you had a mechanical failure in your car and you did your best to safely park it but accidentally kill someone (breaks fail on a grade as an example), are you going to cut up your licence?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have had a few accidents but I haven't killed anyone. Most likely I will be the casualty since I ride a motorcycle most of the time.
If I do somehow kill a couple of people while driving I will decide then and I will make sure you are the first person I notify.

Oh, if I am the casualty I will make it a point to not admit it here on arfcom.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slow down turbo, this is like the 3rd time in this thread you have beaten me
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe that the pilot stated that he would never fly again.  But that's on him, as it should be.  If you're shooting steel at a range and a ricochet kills someone, you may choose to never fire another gun. Should you be prohibited from owning guns?  No.  But GD has different standards for things that they can't relate to.  Non-shooting pilots might say, " what kind of idiot shoots at steel plates?"
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I believe that the pilot stated that he would never fly again.  But that's on him, as it should be.  If you're shooting steel at a range and a ricochet kills someone, you may choose to never fire another gun. Should you be prohibited from owning guns?  No.  But GD has different standards for things that they can't relate to.  Non-shooting pilots might say, " what kind of idiot shoots at steel plates?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. I was losing all hope for GD.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this. I don't think I would give up my ticket, but I sure as shit would do things a lot different if I had an emergency in the future. I have kind of a "get back on the horse" attitude though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think there is a pilot here that doesn't agree with ske's post, I do 110%
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't think there is a pilot here that doesn't agree with ske's post, I do 110%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As do I.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

WTH????

Ok..
Don't want to rehash all that has been covered but if something similar happened with you at the controls would you continue to fly?

ETA; ok, plenty of pilots here so anyone who cares to reply I would appreciate hearing your responses.
Not looking for an argument, just curious.

ETA Pt II, Ninelives, I see you already answered this question. I believe you have a very valid outlook on this. Anyone else?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

WTH????

Ok..
Don't want to rehash all that has been covered but if something similar happened with you at the controls would you continue to fly?

ETA; ok, plenty of pilots here so anyone who cares to reply I would appreciate hearing your responses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTH????

Ok..

Yup.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#21]
If I ever have an engine failure I'm aiming for RarestRX.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

WTH????

Ok..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTH????

Ok..

See my post directly above the one you quoted, yes I would. As I would continue to drive if I was involved in a fatal accident that was a true accident.

ETE: Posted before the edit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

YEAH!

Cause there are NEVER any mechanical problems with a machine that uses thousands of individual pieces!  You should know that!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really only two reasons why an engine "loses power", contaminated fuel or no fuel.  
Wow, really?  
YEAH!

Cause there are NEVER any mechanical problems with a machine that uses thousands of individual pieces!  You should know that!

You didn't bother to read the rest of the thread.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really only two reasons why an engine "loses power", contaminated fuel or no fuel.  
Wow, really?  
YEAH!

I read the whole thread.  My particular post you are quoting is sarcasm,  I know you are not that dumb.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I never practiced class warfare, I said that this dude's hobby, which it is, shouldn't cost other people's lives.

He should have bitten the bullet and augured in.

But, the dude was a pussy and decided to roll the dice with other people's lives.

It came up craps for these two:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/4142ff6b2a4903ce5712e72dd5bf2e49dcb1cae6/c=0-387-960-1110&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/WTSP/WTSP/2014/07/29/1406644329000-irizarry.JPG

So again, fuck that dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First thing I thought of seeing the thread title.

But it's the democrat "them" who practice class warfare.

I never practiced class warfare, I said that this dude's hobby, which it is, shouldn't cost other people's lives.

But, the dude was a pussy and decided to roll the dice with other people's lives.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/4142ff6b2a4903ce5712e72dd5bf2e49dcb1cae6/c=0-387-960-1110&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/WTSP/WTSP/2014/07/29/1406644329000-irizarry.JPG

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mayhaps you should watch
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Source

I can't see the video but I have to question landing on a beach with lots of people around.

Mayhaps you should watch

I saw it on television this morning.   I did not see it in the link that I posted.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Thread summery....

Pilots are assholes and non pilots are morons.

<asshole
View Quote
I'm ok with this

<asshole with you level derpitude 12000, picking up my clearance to khrp via  Moran 1 arrival.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I read the whole thread.  My particular post you are quoting is sarcasm,  I know you are not that dumb.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, really?  
YEAH!

Yes I am, in this case I am full of herp and derp and dumbfuckery.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Forget these stories, WWGDD?:

You are flying parallel to the beach and have engine failure.  You can still maneuver the aircraft to either land on the beach or land in the water.  You know for a fact that the beach is full of people and the water has no one in it.  Where do you put the plane down?

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You are flying parallel to the beach and have engine failure.  You can still maneuver the aircraft to either land on the beach or land in the water.  You know for a fact that the beach is full of people and the water has no one in it.  Where do you put the plane down?

View Quote

I think after reading this thread I will carry one of those small air horns normally seen at hockey games, that way I can hang it out the window to alert people when Im making an unscheduled off airport landing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah.  Well.  Maybe just a little derp.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

WTH????

Ok..

ETA Pt II, Ninelives, I see you already answered this question. I believe you have a very valid outlook on this. Anyone else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTH????

Ok..

I honestly can't answer.  I might fly again, but it would be a while.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think after reading this thread I will carry one of those small air horns normally seen at hockey games, that way I can hang it out the window to alert people when Im making an unscheduled off airport landing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you.  But dang it, you left it at home this time.  What do you do?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious, how many planes have you dead-stick landed/crashed?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed t he plane's name is Archer II.  I've got a bad feeling about whatever happened to Archer I.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hell, I would be happy to entertain his opinion if he even had his ticket.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I noticed t he plane's name is Archer II.  I've got a bad feeling about whatever happened to Archer I.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will assume you are being funny. but just in case Archer II is the model
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#39]
"beachy"?

Fucking REALLY?

that's fucking gayey.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha, whoops, yeah I thought that was the name.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last thing I was praying for before I crashed my 140 was that I would clear the trailer park with little kids playing below me.

Made it.

Maybe make a thread some day.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
These guys in Quebec had to put a 172 down on a highway.

https://youtu.be/hisTNkN_sJY
View Quote

When a push rod tore in my C172, I landed on the Bee Line Expressway somewhere near Melbourne, FL.

First week of June, 1989.

Sorry.  Just wanted to get in this thread with my one claim to fame.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

When a push rod tore in my C172, I landed on the Bee Line Expressway somewhere near Melbourne, FL.

Sorry.  Just wanted to get in this thread with my one clain to fame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These guys in Quebec had to put a 172 down on a highway.

https://youtu.be/hisTNkN_sJY

Sorry.  Just wanted to get in this thread with my one clain to fame.

Wait, so a push rod contaminated your fuel?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Pilot error.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Negative.  

Thrown piston,

Bent rod

Fouled plugs

Fcu/carborator failure

Magneto/harness failure

Catastrofic oil loss

Should I go on?

Pilot error.

That would be the most common cause of incidences
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If I ever have an engine failure I'm aiming for RarestRX.
View Quote

Don't miss!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Negative.  

Thrown piston,

Bent rod

Fouled plugs

Fcu/carborator failure

Magneto/harness failure

Catastrofic oil loss

Should I go on?

Pilot error.

Well, it would be incidents,

But unless we're talking it up at a bar,

We're only human.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's an analogy.

I haven't driven my RX-7 in 3 1/2 months.  I want to take my buddy out for a quick blast up into the hills for fun.  

Car starts up, but as we're pulling out of the garage the brake pedal goes a little soft.  Weird.  Next time I try it, it feels okay.

We start heading out to my favorite road and about 10 minutes we start going down a steep hill.

I hit the brakes but the pedal goes to the floor.  I pump them, nothing.  E-brake isn't slowing us down.

At the bottom of the hill is a T intersection.  I can't stop.

There's a park straight ahead that it looks like I can use like a run off, but there are picnickers and kids playing on the grass.  It's definitely sketchy.  

On either side of the road are deep ditches.  If I drive into the ditch, the car might flip.

But fuck it, I'm not going to risk hitting those people and I drive into the ditch.

The end.

(In case you missed it: Replace RX-7 with plane, replace brakes with magnetos, replace park with beach, replace ditches with open water.)

But again, that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We're only human.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Negative.  

Thrown piston,

Bent rod

Fouled plugs

Fcu/carborator failure

Magneto/harness failure

Catastrofic oil loss

Should I go on?

Pilot error.

We're only human.

I do typesetting for work, thus my lack of skill!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

I haven't driven my RX-7 in 3 1/2 months.  I want to take my buddy out for a quick blast up into the hills for fun.  

Car starts up, but as we're pulling out of the garage the brake pedal goes a little soft.  Weird.  Next time I try it, it feels okay.

We start heading out to my favorite road and about 10 minutes we start going down a steep hill.

I hit the brakes but the pedal goes to the floor.  I pump them, nothing.  E-brake isn't slowing us down.

There's a park straight ahead that it looks like I can use like a run off, but there are picnickers and kids playing on the grass.  It's definitely sketchy.  

On either side of the road are deep ditches.  If I drive into the ditch, the car might flip.

But fuck it, I'm not going to risk hitting those people and I drive into the ditch.

The end.

(In case you missed it: Replace RX-7 with plane, replace brakes with magnetos, replace park with beach, replace ditches with open water.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

We are all glad it's just you.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

I don't think anyone should die because of my motorized hobby.

*shrug*
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top