Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO, he should have ditched in the water or gone for the 2+ mile long, 4 lane road that is about 30 feet away from where he put down.

Where a lot of people are walking around seems like the very last place you would want to land a plane. Just glad nobody died. Kid gets to tell a heck of a story too. How many people have been hit by a plane?

Given California's knee jerk reactions by government, that is probably the end of planes towing banners over the beach.

View Quote

More like the last straw on the camel's back.  People have been fighting for years to get the banners gone, but why miss the chance to make an ignorant comment about CA when you think you get the chance.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

I haven't driven my RX-7 in 3 1/2 months.  I want to take my buddy out for a quick blast up into the hills for fun.  

Car starts up, but as we're pulling out of the garage the brake pedal goes a little soft.  Weird.  Next time I try it, it feels okay.

We start heading out to my favorite road and about 10 minutes we start going down a steep hill.

I hit the brakes but the pedal goes to the floor.  I pump them, nothing.  E-brake isn't slowing us down.

At the bottom of the hill is a T intersection.  I can't stop.

There's a park straight ahead that it looks like I can use like a run off, but there are picnickers and kids playing on the grass.  It's definitely sketchy.  

On either side of the road are deep ditches.  If I drive into the ditch, the car might flip.

But fuck it, I'm not going to risk hitting those people and I drive into the ditch.

The end.

(In case you missed it: Replace RX-7 with plane, replace brakes with magnetos, replace park with beach, replace ditches with open water.)

But again, that's just me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hell, I would be happy to entertain his opinion if he even had his ticket.

Here's an analogy.

I haven't driven my RX-7 in 3 1/2 months.  I want to take my buddy out for a quick blast up into the hills for fun.  

Car starts up, but as we're pulling out of the garage the brake pedal goes a little soft.  Weird.  Next time I try it, it feels okay.

We start heading out to my favorite road and about 10 minutes we start going down a steep hill.

I hit the brakes but the pedal goes to the floor.  I pump them, nothing.  E-brake isn't slowing us down.

There's a park straight ahead that it looks like I can use like a run off, but there are picnickers and kids playing on the grass.  It's definitely sketchy.  

On either side of the road are deep ditches.  If I drive into the ditch, the car might flip.

But fuck it, I'm not going to risk hitting those people and I drive into the ditch.

The end.

(In case you missed it: Replace RX-7 with plane, replace brakes with magnetos, replace park with beach, replace ditches with open water.)

But damn, there were kids playing in the ditch that you didn't see, and you killed them.   The end.

ETA:  You keep ignoring the fact that the pilot did exactly that.  He saw the people, and steered for the water.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I never practiced class warfare, I said that this dude's hobby, which it is, shouldn't cost other people's lives.

He should have bitten the bullet and augured in.

But, the dude was a pussy and decided to roll the dice with other people's lives.

It came up craps for these two:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/4142ff6b2a4903ce5712e72dd5bf2e49dcb1cae6/c=0-387-960-1110&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/WTSP/WTSP/2014/07/29/1406644329000-irizarry.JPG

So again, fuck that dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before the guy ranting about "rich guys" and their "elitist toys" who should kill themselves by ditching in the water.

IIRC that was quite a purse-swinging thread a while back.

First thing I thought of seeing the thread title.

But it's the democrat "them" who practice class warfare.

I never practiced class warfare, I said that this dude's hobby, which it is, shouldn't cost other people's lives.

He should have bitten the bullet and augured in.

But, the dude was a pussy and decided to roll the dice with other people's lives.

It came up craps for these two:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/4142ff6b2a4903ce5712e72dd5bf2e49dcb1cae6/c=0-387-960-1110&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/WTSP/WTSP/2014/07/29/1406644329000-irizarry.JPG

So again, fuck that dude.

So you would have made the decision to kill yourself? I really hope you never get in a cockpit. If you do, please don't let anyone fly with you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

When a push rod tore in my C172, I landed on the Bee Line Expressway somewhere near Melbourne, FL.

First week of June, 1989.

Sorry.  Just wanted to get in this thread with my one claim to fame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These guys in Quebec had to put a 172 down on a highway.

https://youtu.be/hisTNkN_sJY

When a push rod tore in my C172, I landed on the Bee Line Expressway somewhere near Melbourne, FL.

First week of June, 1989.

Sorry.  Just wanted to get in this thread with my one claim to fame.

I hope you didn't beep your horn.

I've learned it would be rude if you did.

Before anyone quotes this, yes I know planes don't have horns.  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The thing is, in an emergency, you really don't want to hurt innocents,

But you really, really want to live.

If you're lucky, skilfull, or if God is with you that day, it'll all work out.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But damn, there were kids playing in the ditch that you didn't see, and you killed them.   The end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

Wrong.  Pilot saw there were people and still "went for it".

Once he saw it was populated, that beach should have been scratched off the "places I can land".

But my moral compass isn't quite calibrated up to pilot standards.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Once he saw it was populated, that beach should have been scratched off the "places I can land".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

Did you actually read the NTSB report? You know, the one that actually matters.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're right, he should have applied power at that point and flown to a better crash scene.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The last off field landing we had out of the base was from a sheared.crankshaft.

Although running out of gas is far too common in GA given how preventable it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really only two reasons why an engine "loses power", contaminated fuel or no fuel.  

The last off field landing we had out of the base was from a sheared.crankshaft.

Although running out of gas is far too common in GA given how preventable it is.

Yeah, I thought of a piston breaking or freezing.  But I bet 95% or better are fuel related
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So you would have made the decision to kill yourself? I really hope you never get in a cockpit. If you do, please don't let anyone fly with you.
View Quote

That should be a mandatory sticker in the cockpit if he does, like the ones experimental have to have.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

I searched the DB, but it didn't come up.

Last I saw in an article is they couldn't find any mechanical problems with the plane.  Started the engine, disassembled the carb, etc.

Maybe you can link it?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, I thought of a piston breaking or freezing.  But I bet 95% or better are fuel related
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really only two reasons why an engine "loses power", contaminated fuel or no fuel.  

Fuel related is number seven on the FAA top ten.

http://www.slideshare.net/southernregionfaasteam/top-10-causes-of-fatal-general-aviation-accidents
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

See my edit.  When he saw people on the beach, he steered into the water.  But don't let facts get in the way.  You don't see kids in your ditch, but how can you be sure they aren't there?  Maybe they're bent over sifting for sharks teeth.   Steering into a ditch isn't good enough for you.  Maybe you should look for a big tree or a pole to aim for.  I guess your buddy's life doesn't matter either, since he happens to be in your car.  Be sure to tell him you're sorry, but there may be kids in the ditch before you hit the tree.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  He's willfully ignorant.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That should be a mandatory sticker in the cockpit if he does, like the ones experimental have to have.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pilot should have accepted the risks that his hobby entails, not transfer it to innocent people that aren't involved.

In the analogy I posted, why is okay to hurt and/or kill the people in the park because I get my rocks off driving a sportscar?

Clue: it's not.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Last I saw in an article is they couldn't find any mechanical problems with the plane.  Started the engine, disassembled the carb, etc.

Maybe you can link it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you can link it?

It's been linked and quoted repeatedly in this thread in direct replies to you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

now lets add that you took the path that had no one in it because you didn't see anyone. Oops, there was a dad and his daughter in the ditch looking for rocks for her collection. You still did the right thing, but the outcome was not foreseen.

I guess you are now the guy in your "fuck that guy." opinion.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe you can link it?
View Quote

It's still in the preliminary report stage.  "Research of engine electrical, air induction and fuel delivery systems continues." is how the report concludes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

See my edit.  When he saw people on the beach, he steered into the water.  But don't let facts get in the way.  You don't see kids in your ditch, but how can you be sure they aren't there?  Maybe they're bent over sifting for sharks teeth.   Steering into a ditch isn't good enough for you.  Maybe you should look for a big tree or a pole to aim for.  I guess your buddy's life doesn't matter either, since he happens to be in your car.  Be sure to tell him you're sorry, but there may be kids in the ditch before you hit the tree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

He told investigators that he thought a water landing might cause the plane to flip due to its heavy landing gear, so he headed for the beach. He saw groups of people and tried to navigate around them, he said, aiming for a spot he thought was empty.

What part of "tried to navigate around them" don't you get?

He tried to thread the needle, fucked it up, and killed people.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The pilot should have accepted the risks that his hobby entails, not transfer it to innocent people that aren't involved.

In the analogy I posted, why is okay to hurt and/or kill the people in the park because I get my rocks off driving a sportscar?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a bad case of feels going on.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ETA:  You keep ignoring the fact that the pilot did exactly that.  He saw the people, and steered for the water.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

Mother fucker, beat AGAIN

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

It doesn't fit his narrative
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

No, whats not calibrated is your understanding of the cockpit and those in it. You are talking completely out of your ass based on feels about something you know nothing about.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, I don't have the moral compass that apparently pilots have.

If I can maybe steer between that family on that picnic blanket, and those kids playing frisbee...oh there were some kids cloud gazing on their backs and I ran them over?

Tough shit, I didn't see them and oh I tried, oh how I tried not to hit anyone in that crowded park.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He told investigators that he thought a water landing might cause the plane to flip due to its heavy landing gear, so he headed for the beach. He saw groups of people and tried to navigate around them, he said, aiming for a spot he thought was empty.

You keep quoting a news article and ignoring the NTSB report that your article misquotes.  Read the fucking report.  Here, I'll quote it to you for the THIRD time.

"The airplane was over the water at the time, and the pilot was concerned that if he landed in deep water, the fixed landing gear airplane would flip over. The pilot saw groups of people along the beach, and attempted navigated around them. He then aimed for a spot where he thought there were no people, and landed in the water near the shoreline."
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you can link it?

you said it yourself, "willfully ignorant", he is letting his feels guide his argument, not logic and real life.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Like I said, I don't have the moral compass that apparently pilots have.

If I can maybe steer between that family on that picnic blanket, and those kids playing frisbee...oh there were some kids cloud gazing on their backs and I ran them over?

Tough shit, I didn't see them and oh I tried, oh how I tried not to hit anyone in that crowded park.

View Quote

What you seem to be missing is that you can do everything right and sometimes it still goes wrong.  Again, you hit some kids out collecting mushrooms in the ditch and killed them while you walked away.  Did you make the wrong choice because you didn't steer straight into a telephone pole?

Pilots are some of the most brutal folks around towards guys who mess up and they are telling you that it seems like the right play.  That should be a clue.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You keep quoting a news article and ignoring the NTSB report that your article misquotes.  Read the fucking report.  Here, I'll quote it to you for the THIRD time.

"The airplane was over the water at the time, and the pilot was concerned that if he landed in deep water, the fixed landing gear airplane would flip over. The pilot saw groups of people along the beach, and attempted navigated around them. He then aimed for a spot where he thought there were no people, and landed in the water near the shoreline."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he fucking knew there were people, right?

That's why he tried to thread the needle, right?

He didn't think the beach was deserted, correct?

My point, again, is that once he saw people on the beach he should have said, "Nope, too many people."

But again, I'm not up to pilot standards where it's okay for people to die for my motorized hobby.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are clearly a very special, precious and caring person, morally superior to all the rest of us. We get it.

Sigh.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's an analogy.

The end.

It's more like:
You and your family all cram into your RX-7. You're going out for a drive, you checked all fluids twice, and all functions of the vehicle before you left. Everything is good. You decide to go for a drive on the highway. All is well, but oh damn, your shitty rotary engine decided it was time for another overhaul and ate itself. This is a one lane highway with no shoulders, but luck you! There's an exit ramp you can coast onto! As you roll onto the ramp you try the brakes.... Uh oh, engine grenaded, took the master cylinder with it. Damn this ramp is steep.... So you're rolling at highway speed down this off ramp, and you look ahead... There's a pretty sharp hairpin at the bottom. Oh, did I mention that your steering is jammed too? Another chunk of Weinkel is stuck in the mechanism... You can still turn, but only a little bit. Shit. Well, back to the hairpin. If you keep going straight, there's this huge wall. Somebody lopped off some armor plate from an Iowa class battleship and left it at the bottom of the road for some reason. Hmm... Unfortunate. If you hit it, you and your entire family is going to die, because that chunk sure as hell isn't moving. But look, there's a field with children to the left, and your steering wheel will turn juuuuuust enough to get you there! And you're in luck, the children aren't all clumped up, and there's a space for you to drive through where you don't see any children, and there's sand that will stop you too!

So... Instead of trying to thread the needle and get yourself and your family home safely, you're just gonna pancake yourself and your family because you MIGHT hit someone else?

As I said, it's a shit sandwich, but as a pilot your first duty is to the souls on board. I'm not saying you should try to lop heads off, but if you aim for a clearing that's full of snipers in gillie suits (you can't see them), versus smacking the water at around 100mph and almost assuredly dying, and decide to go for what you though was clear, you did the best you could... Which is unfortunately all you can do.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Ban general aviation. It's the only way.

Only professional paid operators should be allowed to fly planes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You are clearly a very special, precious and caring person, morally superior to all the rest of us. We get it.

Sigh.
View Quote

I would love to see the look on everyone's faces when he gave a preflight emergency brief.

"In case of engine failure we are going to find the most deserted place to auger this baby in!"
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I would love to see the look on everyone's faces when he gave a preflight emergency brief.

"In case of engine failure we are going to find the most deserted place to auger this baby in!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

No kidding! And to top it off, he'd find the one spot where some kid was playing hide and seek....
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've only ever flown in commercial aircraft and don't know shit about planes.

I vote yes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

"In case of engine failure, just know that I'm heading for that full preschool playground and not those trees.  Tree branches are hard and tough, 3 year olds are soft and squishy.  Gotta keep you guys safe."

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"In case of engine failure, just know that I'm heading for that full preschool playground and not those trees.  Tree branches are hard and tough, 3 year olds are soft and squishy.  Gotta keep you guys safe."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

You're being
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

You're being
http://media3.onsugar.com/files/ons1/306/3064574/20_2009/3Kings5.preview/i/Am-I-being-obtuse.jpg

Don't watch that gay show.

Is it awesome?

I'm being awesome?

That's probably it.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Is it awesome?

I'm being awesome?

That's probably it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

You're being
http://media3.onsugar.com/files/ons1/306/3064574/20_2009/3Kings5.preview/i/Am-I-being-obtuse.jpg

Is it awesome?

I'm being awesome?

That's probably it.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

You should probably turn in your license too, you might drive your RX7 too fast and then it might spin into some schoolchildren.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is it awesome?

I'm being awesome?

That's probably it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.

You're being

Is it awesome?

I'm being awesome?

That's probably it.

Yep, 100% awesome, the same special brand of awesome as Diane Feinstein?. She talks a lot of shit about stuff shes clueless on as well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it awesome?

I'm being awesome?

That's probably it.

Wait, you're saying Family Guy isn't a gay show?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it awesome?

I'm being awesome?

That's probably it.

You're being obtuse.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Fuck this shit.

I'd just like to land on a "beachy" somewhere or maybe a deserted county road, where I could take a nice long piss,

And have a smoke.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're being obtuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it awesome?

I'm being awesome?

That's probably it.

You're being obtuse.

I don't think so.  

Family Guy is like Liberace gay.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't think so.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it awesome?

I'm being awesome?

That's probably it.

You're being obtuse.

I don't think so.  

Ok, now we're getting somewhere constructive.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more you talk, the more it becomes clear you have no clue. At this point, continuing to respond will only confirm the amount of stupid you have displayed in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#48]
The Venice FL pilot was landing at the shoreline.  He should have been 50 yards or more away from the shore.  Or at least whatever was possible with a shallow turn away from the beach.  Unlock and open the door.  Exit once the plane quits moving.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#49]
nm...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

LOL, and just how do you expect future "professional" pilots to gain experience? You do realize a private license is the first step to obtaining an airline license right? Or are you just talking out of your as about a subject you know nothing about?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only ever flown in commercial aircraft and don't know shit about planes.

I vote yes.

LOL, and just how do you expect future "professional" pilots to gain experience? You do realize a private license is the first step to obtaining an airline license right? Or are you just talking out of your as about a subject you know nothing about?

He's making fun of gun grabbers/using gun grabber logic.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top