of course they can.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chief20879

Nope

Like I said earlier, I just found it odd that I was pulled over for doing something illegal, when the cop was also doing something illegal.
View Quote

That officer was not doing anything "illegal". There are exclusions carved out in most laws. For example, it is routinely illegal for you to take a concealed pistol into a public school. Can an OFF DUTY police officer lawfully do this? Yes. Is it illegal for him to do so? No.

Likewise, a police officer is exempt in at least three ways from HOV restrictions.

1. By federal law

2. By state or local law

3. If he does drive in the HOV solo, who really gives a shit? Not me.

Is it illegal for federal air marshals, off duty FBI agents (hint) and off duty US Secret Service officers from the PPD (another hint)  to carry their guns into secure areas of airports because it is illegal for you to do so?

Don't wrap dumb shit around the axle of your life. From what you've posted, you got stopped for an infraction which you freely admit to, and did not get a ticket. You created a "Sienfeld" post - a thread literally about nothing. No insult intended your way, simply stating the reality here.

-ml

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You told a lie when you said the cop did something illegal.

Thus, you are a liar.

Of you're gonna call someone a liar, backup what you say.

The HOV Program Guidance provided by FHWA relating to exemptions for law enforcement vehicles is that vehicles operated by federal, state, or local law enforcement personnel may be permitted to use HOV lanes without meeting minimum-occupancy requirements, provided that they are clearly marked law enforcement vehicles equipped with rooftop emergency lights and a siren. Officially marked law enforcement and emergency services vehicles are allowed to use HOV lanes in areas throughout the country without meeting the minimum-occupancy requirements. Most operating agencies do not specifically monitor use levels by these types of vehicles.

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/exemptvehicleshov/chapter4.htm

He's just going to skip over it again and continue his quest.  OP might want to throw in some anti-union stuff to get everyone on board with his view.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thus, you are a liar.

The HOV Program Guidance provided by FHWA relating to exemptions for law enforcement vehicles is that vehicles operated by federal, state, or local law enforcement personnel may be permitted to use HOV lanes without meeting minimum-occupancy requirements, provided that they are clearly marked law enforcement vehicles equipped with rooftop emergency lights and a siren. Officially marked law enforcement and emergency services vehicles are allowed to use HOV lanes in areas throughout the country without meeting the minimum-occupancy requirements. Most operating agencies do not specifically monitor use levels by these types of vehicles.

Reading the link now. Interesting, it contradicts the info found in this post: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1745831_Got_pulled_over_today_by_a_cop_doing_something_illegal__as_well_.html&page=2#i53442750
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Reading the link now. Interesting, it contradicts the info found in this post: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1745831_Got_pulled_over_today_by_a_cop_doing_something_illegal__as_well_.html&page=2#i53442750
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thus, you are a liar.

It doesn't contradict anything in there.  Please post this contradiction.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#11]
We used to have a grant that payed us OVERTIME  to enforce the HOV lanes for occupancy, speeding,crossing the buffer etc. Only we were told to use either unmarked or low profile cars (no light bars on top).
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
So are you going to change your thread title now that you have had that light bulb moment OP?....... after 4 pages saying the same thing?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So are you going to change your thread title now that you have had that light bulb moment OP?....... after 4 pages saying the same thing?
View Quote

Apparently not

Last login 5/6/2015 5:52:51 AM CDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I was driving home from work today, sitting in traffic, talking to my brother on the phone about bringing my truck in to his dealership for service on Saturday.

I was in the second from the far left lane which was HOV at that time. I saw a cop drive by me in the HOV lane, pull over to the shoulder, then pull me over for talking on the phone while driving. This is illegal in MD. But so is driving in the HOV lane with one person in the car. My buddy got hit for a stupid expensive ticket a couple years ago because he was in the HOV lane by himself.

Wtf?
View Quote

In red.......Tell the Judge that the Cop should have been carpooling!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Nine times out of ten, when I get behind someone blocking the left lane....they are on the phone oblivious to everything around them.  Sure, we all do it sometime but if I get a ticket doing such...I am not going to complain about it.  It's not like you don't know the rules. You play the game, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Weak rant.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Exceptions in the traffic code for emergency vehicles. It's a thing.
View Quote

Only during an emergency, seeing as he pulled over the op he was clearly not in route.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#17]
How about running a red light to ticket someone for just running the red light. Yep.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I also own a home in Maryland.  Keep talking, you're doing great.

Might also add I've handed a few tickets out to assholes operating phones and failing to pay full time attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, there's a reason MD is hated.  It's liberal.

Something liberals do is detract attention from their own bad actions and deflect it top what they think is someone else's.

Anti-authority much?

I give this thread until page 2 for lockdown.

A Virginia resident posting in a thread about traffic laws in another state. Holy shit. That is fucking rich.

I also own a home in Maryland.  Keep talking, you're doing great.

Might also add I've handed a few tickets out to assholes operating phones and failing to pay full time attention.

Have you ever written a ticket to any "assholes" eating while driving? How about listening to the radio? What's different besides some "asshole" in government that decided talking on a phone while driving should be illegal. I've never met a cop that didn't think and/or voice their opinion about the general public in the same derogative manner that you do. It's really no fucking wonder people hate the police so much.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We are are monarchy now?

Damn........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How dare you question the kings men, doing the kings business, on the kings highway.

We are are monarchy now?

Damn........

There better be some ring kissing, bitches.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Police are exempt from everything.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How dare you question the kings men, doing the kings business, on the kings highway.
View Quote

you live up to the name.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was driving home from work today, sitting in traffic, talking to my brother on the phone about bringing my truck in to his dealership for service on Saturday.

I was in the second from the far left lane which was HOV at that time. I saw a cop drive by me in the HOV lane, pull over to the shoulder, then pull me over for talking on the phone while driving. This is illegal in MD. But so is driving in the HOV lane with one person in the car. My buddy got hit for a stupid expensive ticket a couple years ago because he was in the HOV lane by himself.

Wtf?
View Quote

police can do whatever they want.  they ENFORCE LAW  not FOLLOW IT.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Police can use the HOV lane.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Take it to court. Tell them you weren't talking on the phone, just looking at google maps.

View Quote

...and don't take legal advice from this guy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Thanks for the link.

So I, sitting in traffic with both eyes on the road, may have been more important than:

(1) Responding to an emergency call;

(2) Pursuing a violator or suspected violator of the law; or

(3) Responding to, but not while returning from, a fire alarm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

So I, sitting in traffic with both eyes on the road, may have been more important than:

(1) Responding to an emergency call;

(2) Pursuing a violator or suspected violator of the law; or

(3) Responding to, but not while returning from, a fire alarm.
You were #2.  If you were in your car, in the lane of travel, and using your phone, you were a violator.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How about running a red light to ticket someone for just running the red light. Yep.
View Quote

We called that "Red Light Overtime". 8 hours for 8 tickets.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#27]
What was the resolution here? No blade no hat = illegal stop?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

He actually followed the law... If you could read...
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Wtf?
View Quote

Were you going on 270 North ?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

(1) Responding to an emergency call; wasn't one

(2) Pursuing a violator or suspected violator of the law; or  your part

(3) Responding to, but not while returning from, a fire alarm. wasn't one

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

(1) Responding to an emergency call; wasn't one

(2) Pursuing a violator or suspected violator of the law; or  your part

(3) Responding to, but not while returning from, a fire alarm. wasn't one

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Was in Maryland two weeks ago for the first time.  Driving from DC to Annapolis, I saw several signs that said DUI ENFORCEMENT ZONE.  So is it OK to drive drunk in the rest of the state, just not in those zones?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wtf?
View Quote

GOOD CITATION

Quoted:
All these distracted driving laws are tarded needed. If you can't drive and talk on the phone you most people shouldn't drive in the first place.
View Quote

FIFY

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

However, aren't the exemptions in the traffic codes for emergency vehicles apply to when they're actually responding to an emergency?  It's illegal here for LEO to use their flashers to get through a stop light unless they're actually responding to a call, for example.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

However, aren't the exemptions in the traffic codes for emergency vehicles apply to when they're actually responding to an emergency?  It's illegal here for LEO to use their flashers to get through a stop light unless they're actually responding to a call, for example.
View Quote

nope, just marked vehicles..

try reading the extremely subtle posts above..
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
High Occupancy Vehicle.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fuck is a hov lane?
High Occupancy Vehicle.  

Yep. 3 people in MD.   My wife got ticket for being in the HOV lane.  She said, "what do you mean, I'm not HOV, I've got a van full of a half a dozen kids."   She was told that it only counted for adult commuters, not mom-carpools. I'm glad I left Maryland.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's legal to use flashers to go through a stop light without a reason?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So it's legal to use flashers to go through a stop light without a reason?  Just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know if there is no reason?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#38]
When your the one paid to club people who clubs you?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not saying that I know or not. I'm just asking if it's legal.

Here's the NC statute:
   Sec. 14-2. - Emergency vehicles; exemptions.
(a)
The sections of this chapter regulating the operation, parking, and standing of vehicles shall not apply to:
(1)
Police, fire department and fire patrol vehicles, or ambulances and rescue squad emergency service vehicles, or public transportation vehicles when an exemption from such sections is reasonably necessary in the actual discharge of official duties and responsibilities; or
(2)
Vehicles of public service corporations when an exemption from such sections is reasonably necessary in the actual installation or repair to public service equipment on or above streets and sidewalks.
(b)
This section shall not operate to relieve the driver of any such vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property using the streets, nor shall this section protect the driver of any such vehicle from the consequences of his reckless disregard of the safety of others.        

Thus, legal to blow through a red light to respond to a call.  Not legal to blow through a red light because you are late for lunch.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep. 3 people in MD.   My wife got ticket for being in the HOV lane.  She said, "what do you mean, I'm not HOV, I've got a van full of a half a dozen kids."   She was told that it only counted for adult commuters, not mom-carpools. I'm glad I left Maryland.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fuck is a hov lane?
High Occupancy Vehicle.  

I need to check TN's.  I always thought it was just at least 2 people in the car.  

ETA:  Yep, 2 people or a motorcycle.  Hybrid cars can get a free "Smartpass."
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
These petty tickets are all bullshit, because it's not the police's job to extract revenue this way.

However, you are a fucking idiot.

Put the fucking phone down.  Absolutely nothing is so important that you can't wait until you get to wherever you were going.  Everyone managed just fine 20 years ago without cell phones, and you'll survive, too.

Nothing is that important.  Nothing.  You aren't that special.  Put the phone down, jackass.
View Quote

Did this get moved to the pit?
View Quote

He can't be more than ~20 miles from me.

I'll meet him in person, get another ARFer to record it, and put the debate on YouTube.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A Virginia resident posting in a thread about traffic laws in another state. Holy shit. That is fucking rich.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, there's a reason MD is hated.  It's liberal.

Something liberals do is detract attention from their own bad actions and deflect it top what they think is someone else's.

Anti-authority much?

I give this thread until page 2 for lockdown.

Goodness, you must not be over 23 to be whining like this...  

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Next time text him like a normal person
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

"THIS is the King's highway - now I advise you and your men to make way!"

In all seriousness this is a bullshit complaint. Hang up your fucking phone and drive.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

In short.. YES..

Unless you actually see the officer do it and then pull into a Subway for lunch, you have absolutely no idea why he busted the light.

I'm not an officer.

In GA, they do it all the time if they're moving to backup an intercepting officer.
When a call comes out from dispach, even if you dont take the call, you can show visuals and present yourself in order to respond backup.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Here's the NC statute:

Thus, legal to blow through a red light to respond to a call.  Not legal to blow through a red light because you are late for lunch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the NC statute:
   Sec. 14-2. - Emergency vehicles; exemptions.
(a)
The sections of this chapter regulating the operation, parking, and standing of vehicles shall not apply to:
(1)
Police, fire department and fire patrol vehicles, or ambulances and rescue squad emergency service vehicles, or public transportation vehicles when an exemption from such sections is reasonably necessary in the actual discharge of official duties and responsibilities; or
(2)
Vehicles of public service corporations when an exemption from such sections is reasonably necessary in the actual installation or repair to public service equipment on or above streets and sidewalks.
(b)
This section shall not operate to relieve the driver of any such vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and property using the streets, nor shall this section protect the driver of any such vehicle from the consequences of his reckless disregard of the safety of others.        

I'm sure its not. But most will hit the lights for a redlight then turn them off and keep running to a call.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm on your side OP.  That cop was violating the very law he has sworn to uphold.  Matter of fact, I had a similar situation not too long ago:

I had just finished up a late night session with a hooker who was sent to my room by some jackass using an app to hide his number.  Wanting to turn lemons into lemonade, I went ahead and boned "her."  Instead of paying, I smacked "her" in the head and dragged "her" over to the bathtub.  As I was dismembering "her" in the tub there was a knock on the hotel door.  I guess my neighbors heard the arguing earlier and called the cops.  So there I am, covered in blood with a hacksaw in my hand.  As they led me out I noticed the cop car was parked ILLEGALLY IN THE HANDICAPPED SPOT!!!!  

My lawyer used their parking violation to get my charged dropped to littering.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

In short.. YES..

Unless you actually see the officer do it and then pull into a Subway for lunch, you have absolutely no idea why he busted the light.

I'm not an officer.

In GA, they do it all the time if they're moving to backup an intercepting officer.
When a call comes out from dispach, even if you dont take the call, you can show visuals and present yourself in order to respond backup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In short.. YES..

I'm not an officer.

I guess you are missing the point. Having someone see you or not has nothing to do with being in compliance with the law and regulations.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I guess you are missing the point. Having someone see you or not has nothing to do with being in compliance with the law and regulations.
View Quote

no sir.  you're missing the point.  unless you're sitting in his patrol car and know where he is going and why he is going there, you have no idea as to whether him busting through the light was a "correct use of his power"..

I'm betting that it's high 90%s that he has a justifiable reason for busting the light.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quite a bit of butthurt in this thread.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top