BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take it to court. Tell them you weren't talking on the phone, just looking at google maps.
View Quote

Perjury is always the best choice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Got a link/reference?

I'd be more than happy to eat crow, but in my 25 years in this state, I've never heard about that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was driving home from work today, sitting in traffic, talking to my brother on the phone about bringing my truck in to his dealership for service on Saturday.

I was in the second from the far left lane which was HOV at that time. I saw a cop drive by me in the HOV lane, pull over to the shoulder, then pull me over for talking on the phone while driving. This is illegal in MD. But so is driving in the HOV lane with one person in the car. My buddy got hit for a stupid expensive ticket a couple years ago because he was in the HOV lane by himself.

Wtf?

What makes you think the police are not exempt from using the HOV lane when only one person is in the police car?

What makes you think they are?

State Law that says so?

Got a link/reference?

I'd be more than happy to eat crow, but in my 25 years in this state, I've never heard about that.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/transportation/title-21/subtitle-1/21-106/
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My OP dint do nuffin!
View Quote

No wonder you've got 40k+ posts. With quality posts like the ones you've made in this thread, you must be full of wisdom and decorum.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Why didn't you make a citizen's arrest?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If only there were some kind of cell phone accessory that allowed you talk on the phone without holding the phone to your ear, or better yet, if such a device were integrated into a car...

Imagine the possibilities...

View Quote

Imagine a complete bullshit law who's only purpose is to make people feel better but doesn't help anything at all. Is there a law for people eating, putting make up on, digging for shit in the back seat or floor, driving slow as fuck for no reason, digging in their purse, changing a CD, looking for a CD, finding a song on their ipod?

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd rather get a ticket then get that shit.

View All Quotes

It's 2015 and you don't have a bluetooth?

The fuck is wrong with you?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I also own a home in Maryland.  Keep talking, you're doing great.

Might also add I've handed a few tickets out to assholes operating phones and failing to pay full time attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, there's a reason MD is hated.  It's liberal.

Something liberals do is detract attention from their own bad actions and deflect it top what they think is someone else's.

Anti-authority much?

I give this thread until page 2 for lockdown.

A Virginia resident posting in a thread about traffic laws in another state. Holy shit. That is fucking rich.

I also own a home in Maryland.  Keep talking, you're doing great.

Might also add I've handed a few tickets out to assholes operating phones and failing to pay full time attention.

Umm, OK? So do I.

Ahh, I see where your vitriol is coming from. You're one of the ones who are paid to hand out those tickets. If those  laws didn't exist, your job would be in jeopardy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cops get special rules so they can pull you over and collect fines to fill state coffers.  Think about all the lives saved by you being prevented from driving in certain lanes.

View Quote

Actually he got a ticket for talking on his cell phone, which causes plenty of collisions.  RIF
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But just driving along, I would think they'd have to follow the same road laws as everyone else.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A Virginia resident posting in a thread about traffic laws in another state. Holy shit. That is fucking rich.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Something liberals do is detract attention from their own bad actions and deflect it top what they think is someone else's.

Anti-authority much?

You could be a Virginian too. Then you wouldn't have to worry about your shitty state anymore. Or foisting retarded threads upon GD.

Press hard, 5 copies.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Footage of the crime scene has been released.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a bunch of bluetooth stuff, but that is just awful.

Speakerphone FTW, or head phones with a mic

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks for the link.

So I, sitting in traffic with both eyes on the road, may have been more important than:

(1) Responding to an emergency call; 

(2) Pursuing a violator or suspected violator of the law; or 

(3) Responding to, but not while returning from, a fire alarm.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Really, You knew the crime.  Now do the fine.  And get a hands free solution FFS.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Actually he got a ticket for talking on his cell phone, which causes plenty of collisions.  RIF
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cops get special rules so they can pull you over and collect fines to fill state coffers.  Think about all the lives saved by you being prevented from driving in certain lanes.

And yet, entire groups of citizens are exempt from those very same laws.  You would think if it were for safety, everyone woudl have to follow them, wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You could be a Virginian too. Then you wouldn't have to worry about your shitty state anymore. Or foisting retarded threads upon GD.

Press hard, 5 copies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anti-authority much?

Press hard, 5 copies.

You obviously have no idea about VA traffic laws.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Why attempt to attack the message when you can just attack the messenger, right?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1.  Fair point on the reason for the ticket, I responded in a hurry.  

2.  I don't like distracted drivers, but the statistics don't support your argument.  Distracted driver and auto accidents as a whole (not per capita) are down from what they were in 1990.  

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/transportation/motor_vehicle_accidents_and_fatalities.html

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why attempt to attack the message when you can just attack the messenger, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

OP what you fail to understand is just about everyone hates being behind someone on the phone or operating one. The constant speed variance, unnecessary braking, swerving, lack of signals, etc, they all add up.

Best thing is to take your lumps and man up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How dare you question the kings men, doing the kings business, on the kings highway.
View Quote

We are are monarchy now?

Damn........
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anti-authority much?

Press hard, 5 copies.

You're right. Iived there for 25 years and managed to not get tickets because I, um, followed the rules? Thanks for playing! Now go work some OT to pay off your newly acquired debt to the great state of MD.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

2.  I don't like distracted drivers, but the statistics don't support your argument.  Distracted driver and auto accidents as a whole (not per capita) are down from what they were in 1990.  

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/transportation/motor_vehicle_accidents_and_fatalities.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Collisions being down as a whole since 1990 has nothing to do with my argument.   Distracted drivers cause plenty of accidents.  That's a fact.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

almost everywhere I have seen an hov lane emergency vehicles are also exempt
View Quote

They're exempt from texting/distraction laws too.

It's good to be the King's tax men.

Pay up, OP, you sinned against the common good.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ahh, I see where your vitriol is coming from. You're one of the ones who are paid to hand out those tickets. If those  laws didn't exist, your job would be in jeopardy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No it wouldn't.  

Also, are you suggesting that all laws should be done away with?  Because that's the only way law enforcement would not be necessary.  

Also, fuck Maryland.

Also,

Quoted:
Quoted:
Isolated incident.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Call the whambulance OP.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Imagine a complete bullshit law who's only purpose is to make people feel better but doesn't help anything at all. Is there a law for people eating, putting make up on, digging for shit in the back seat or floor, driving slow as fuck for no reason, digging in their purse, changing a CD, looking for a CD, finding a song on their ipod?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If only there were some kind of cell phone accessory that allowed you talk on the phone without holding the phone to your ear, or better yet, if such a device were integrated into a car...

Hell yeah there's a law, it's called distracted driving.    But fuck that, I'm with ya!  I'd rather read a good book while driving down the road and then bust out the legal pad and take copious notes that I can share with anyone who just might happen to mention that particular tome.  You got a problem with that? #onamotorcycle  
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

So I, sitting in traffic with both eyes on the road, may have been more important than:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

Part in red?  That was you.  

Put down the fucking phone and drive.  Don't like it?  Bitch to your State Delegate/Senator.

ETA:  Delegate/Senator? -- -- Sometimes I crack myself up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

OP what you fail to understand is just about everyone hates being behind someone on the phone or operating one. The constant speed variance, unnecessary braking, swerving, lack of signals, etc, they all add up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not on a phone....that's just a Maryland driver!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I was driving home from work today, sitting in traffic, talking to my brother on the phone about bringing my truck in to his dealership for service on Saturday.

I was in the second from the far left lane which was HOV at that time. I saw a cop drive by me in the HOV lane, pull over to the shoulder, then pull me over for talking on the phone while driving. This is illegal in MD. But so is driving in the HOV lane with one person in the car. My buddy got hit for a stupid expensive ticket a couple years ago because he was in the HOV lane by himself.

Wtf?
View Quote

Not sure if serious?

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Really?
Come on OP.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You're right. Iived there for 25 years and managed to not get tickets because I, um, followed the rules? Thanks for playing! Now go work some OT to pay off your newly acquired debt to the great state of MD.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anti-authority much?

Press hard, 5 copies.

I'm not talking about you getting tickets. I'm talking about your knowledge of their draconian traffic laws.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
No wonder you've got 40k+ posts. With quality posts like the ones you've made in this thread, you must be full of wisdom and decorum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My OP dint do nuffin!

Go pay your ticket.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No it wouldn't.  

Also, are you suggesting that all laws should be done away with?  Because that's the only way law enforcement would not be necessary.  

Also, fuck Maryland.

Also,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it wouldn't.  

Also, fuck Maryland.

Also,

Quoted:
Quoted:
Isolated incident.

Where are you getting that idea from?

Virginia has some of the worst penalties for traffic tickets.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Lol, OP is yet another victim of the "exemptions" put into every fucking law passed in the last 150 years or so.  There should be a constitutional amendment saying that congress shall make no law that does not apply to all members, agents and elected government officials in the same force and manner as it applies to the people.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf?

What makes you think the police are not exempt from using the HOV lane when only one person is in the police car?

The Feds govern HOV lane usage on the federal highway system. Maryland generally (with one or two narrow exceptions) doesn't regulate HOV usage on federal highways. And the HOV lanes on Maryland roads are enforced by Maryland State Police.

FHWA: CHAPTER FOUR—HOV EXEMPTIONS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT AND PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION VEHICLES
HOV Exemptions for Law Enforcement and Emergency Vehicles
The HOV Program Guidance provided by FHWA relating to exemptions for law enforcement vehicles is that vehicles operated by federal, state, or local law enforcement personnel may be permitted to use HOV lanes without meeting minimum-occupancy requirements, provided that they are clearly marked law enforcement vehicles equipped with rooftop emergency lights and a siren. Officially marked law enforcement and emergency services vehicles are allowed to use HOV lanes in areas throughout the country without meeting the minimum-occupancy requirements. Most operating agencies do not specifically monitor use levels by these types of vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You knew this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Police can use the HOV lane.

You knew this.

Per the link posted by one of our resident LEO's, it can be used in the course of their duties. Not just because he wants to get around traffic.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ THIS!

Stupid law IMHO when you let people do all the above without penalty. Bottom line, you're either a good driver or a shit driver and you're either distracted or not... the phone has as much to do with "causing an accident" as the firearm used in a mass shooting does with "killing all those people".

And also FUCK Maryland!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Per the link posted by one of our resident LEO's, it can be used in the course of their duties. Not just because he wants to get around traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You knew this.

He got you while doing it didn't he?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take it to court. Tell them you weren't talking on the phone, just looking at google maps.

Google maps, GPS, whatever, it's all just as illegal as texting here

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Emergency vehicles can operate irrespective to the vehicle code in the performance of their duties.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is because they are above the law and held to a higher standard.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm with OP.  I also think it's bullshit the cops disregard ALL TRAFFIC LAWS on the way to a bank robbery!

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top