Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 235
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it really a Charlie Strong issue or a Texas issue? I feel like UT will continue to have these struggles, regardless of the coach, until they fix the culture surrounding the team.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Turnovers...  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is it really a Charlie Strong issue or a Texas issue? I feel like UT will continue to have these struggles, regardless of the coach, until they fix the culture surrounding the team.
View Quote
Strong changed the culture a lot from the Mack Brown era.

Doesn't seem to have helped on the field.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's both. Brown let things get out of hand but Strong came in with a scorched earth policy that may have been correct. Unfortunately he does not have the clout to do something like that at a school like Texas. You don't get to get the program trying to implement a 5+ year plan when the boosters were against your hire from day 1.

The team can be fixed and probably quickly (just look at Michigan under Harbaugh) but Strong is not the guy to do it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]
30 to nothing against Texas. And the 2nd quarter isn't even over yet.

I don't think Charlie has this program in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean the culture from the boosters and the university. I don't have any knowledge of UT other than what I've read and seen on TV, but from the outside it seems like it is a failing corporation rather than a football team of young men.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Bros. It's simple. UT is going to suck until they get a QB. It's foolish to think they'll be down forever.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Stave back to his bad old ways. 1 fumble, 2 INTs on the game. Can't win if you give the other team the ball...  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Army hanging with PSU
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Michigan Maryland is an absolute shootout high scoring game

Ruddock does look much improved from week 1 though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cupcake? Indiana is undefeated! Take that!

And BTW, OSU isn't even in the top 3 of the B!G for total scoring defense through four games, LOL. So far, they are not as tough as last year's team.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In no way a prediction, but who I'd like to see win. Clemson, vols, tamu, and bama. Also, whatever cupcake tOSU is playing.

Cupcake? Indiana is undefeated! Take that!

And BTW, OSU isn't even in the top 3 of the B!G for total scoring defense through four games, LOL. So far, they are not as tough as last year's team.

So this is like the one week tOSU actually has to play someone?

Comment still stands, I hope whoever is playing Da OSU beats them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fuck you, mullet having, jorts wearing orange and blue dope.*

Ole Miss's Land Sharks are going to crush your impotent Offense.
The Reb's won't choke like the Vols did last weekend.
Enjoy your one week in the polls because this will be it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/9f/c9/f6/9fc9f61256df4a589dfa498ecb017559.jpg

Monk
*You did ask for trash talk early in this thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In no way a prediction, but who I'd like to see win. Clemson, vols, tamu, and bama. Also, whatever cupcake tOSU is playing.

Fuck you, mullet having, jorts wearing orange and blue dope.*

Ole Miss's Land Sharks are going to crush your impotent Offense.
The Reb's won't choke like the Vols did last weekend.
Enjoy your one week in the polls because this will be it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/9f/c9/f6/9fc9f61256df4a589dfa498ecb017559.jpg

Monk
*You did ask for trash talk early in this thread

Hey, if we weren't tied in the east right now I'd normally root for whatever east team over whatever west team.

But we are. So go Richt shoot for the middle, go!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Army hanging with PSU
View Quote

What? PSU sucking it as usual?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#16]
This Texas game is brutal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#17]
My picks aren't doing well so far. Minnesota can't score against NW. Va Tech is losing to Pitt. And Wisconsin is really struggling against Iowa, who probably should've lost to Iowa St a few weeks ago.

It is refreshing to see good defense in the Michigan game, but I wish Michigan would stop turning the ball over!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally broke through the stalemate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Just stopping by to say GO BIG RED!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Finally broke through the stalemate.
View Quote

Looked pretty good too. Nice drive and 2-pt conversion
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Michigan's Defense is going to have them hitting above their weight class all year.

The D is elite. Might get another shutout, 2 weeks in a row. DJ Durkin

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Mizzo up 14 on the OLD Ball Coach.
Both teams started true freshmen QBs today.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/30/ranking-college-footballs-top-true-freshmen/

Texas has 2 of the top 8 freshmen and that doesn't even include the best freshman player on the team (M. Jefferson) then add C. Boyd. How is that not recruiting?

They are a few plays away from being 3-1 on the season. I think most boosters see improvement even if the wins aren't coming yet. I think they will. Today, they are getting beat by a much better team. A team that can beat anyone in the country.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he can't recruit and can't coach.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/30/ranking-college-footballs-top-true-freshmen/

Texas has 2 of the top 8 freshmen and that doesn't even include the best freshman player on the team (M. Jefferson) then add C. Boyd. How is that not recruiting?

They are a few plays away from being 3-1 on the season. I think most boosters see improvement even if the wins aren't coming yet. I think they will. Today, they are getting beat by a much better team. A team that can beat anyone in the country.

Those two freshman may actually be studs but one was a 3 star and the other a 4 star and neither were recruited by Charlie (one was the OC the other the special teams coach).

You can't say the guy can recruit when his best offensive recruit bails to go to Michigan after committing to Texas.

And I also struggle to see how losing two very winnable games against mediocre teams does anything but support my point. You should be disciplined enough to win those games. The fact that you can't just points to bad coaching.

I'm not saying Strong is a terrible coach, he is just not a good enough coach to be The Guy at a school like Texas. And he definitely doesn't have the resume to come in and clean house like he did.

Edit for spelling
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool traditions from the Big Ten.
There are 15 trophy games between Big Ten opponents.

Purdue Cannon
Paul Bunyan's Axe
Paul Bunyan Trophy
Old Oaken Bucket
Old Brass Spittoon
Little Brown Jug
Land of Lincoln Trophy
Land Grant Trophy
Illibuck
Heroes Trophy
Heartland Trophy
Governor's Victory Bell
Freedom Trophy
Floyd of Rosedale
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy

Monk

ETA College Football Trophies list
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Michigan's Defense is going to have them hitting above their weight class all year.

View Quote

If they shut out again then I put them at 15.....that's IF some higher ranked teams I expect to lose do in fact lose.

Really too early in the season to say this......but, .....I will say it.......actually, I'll wait..
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Nobody can hang on to the ball @ Camp Randall today.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Here is one that is hard to believe. Yeah, Strong won't have job if this happens anymore.

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/Kris-Boyd-tweets-during-half-against-TCU-about-joining-Texas-AM-39917540
View Quote

I'm guessing he'll have the rest of this year to watch the Aggies when Charlie kicks him off the team

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#30]
GO PURDUE!!!!!!!!

I was telling someone today at breakfast MS needs to not sleep on Purdue. He laughed at me.

Love it!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He removed 9 starters last year. That hurt them. At some point you have to win, but to anyone paying attention, the play on the field is improving. That improved play must soon end up with wins but no one expected Texas to win this game at the beginning of the season did they?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He removed 9 starters last year. That hurt them. At some point you have to win, but to anyone paying attention, the play on the field is improving. That improved play must soon end up with wins but no one expected Texas to win this game at the beginning of the season did they?

No one expected them to win this game but after seeing TTU put up 50+ on the TCU defense last week, you'd at least expect a decent game, not a shutout and a drubbing. Especially when TCU is missing something like 7 players on D.

You know as well as anyone that this loss pisses off those who pull the strings in Austin.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If they shut out again then I put them at 15.....that's IF some higher ranked teams I expect to lose do in fact lose.
Really too early in the season to say this......but, .....I will say it.......actually, I'll wait..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hard not to get giddy as a Michigan fan, seeing the massive improvements. I almost feel like Michigan could go undefeated in Big 10 play.

Ugh, but I don't want to get my hopes up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Cool traditions from the Big Ten.
There are 15 trophy games between Big Ten opponents.

Purdue Cannon
Paul Bunyan's Axe
Paul Bunyan Trophy
Old Oaken Bucket
Old Brass Spittoon
Little Brown Jug
Land of Lincoln Trophy
Land Grant Trophy
Illibuck
Heroes Trophy
Heartland Trophy
Governor's Victory Bell
Freedom Trophy
Floyd of Rosedale
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy

Monk

ETA College Football Trophies list
View Quote

The bucket one is funny because it's such a great reflection of humanity.

Humans literally went to war over a bucket in the 1300s. Modern man? Still fighting over a bucket.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Hard not to get giddy as a Michigan fan, seeing the massive improvements. I almost feel like Michigan could go undefeated in Big 10 play.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely love the D but it's painful watching Jake.  If this team had a serviceable QB, I think we could do some real damage this year.

The recruits at that position are coming though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Skirrilina's freshman QB Nunez is hurt. Happened after a very good run from him.

ETA- Shoulder injury
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Michigan's D is nasty. I love it. Cannot wait for the NW game next weekend!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Disconcerting signals? wtf is that
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Meeshigan State and Purdue just got interesting
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't looked, but I'm betting the defense is the best in the Big 10, numbers wise right now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't understand how UT is this bad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Iowa takes the Heartland Trophy

Monk
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Iowa takes the Heartland Trophy

Monk
View Quote
Iowa defeats #19 Wisky 10-6 to go to 5-0.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#45]
That'll do it for Wis-Iowa. The way the offense has performed this half, no way to get to the end zone with three minutes left, even if the D holds Iowa. Heck, we had 1st & goal at the 2, and put the ball on the ground. Stave returns to his old form, with two fumbles and two INTs on the day (so far).

Wow, did Wisconsin's offense look bad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Hahahahaha, reminds me of the idol the Jews made in their march from Egypt in the bible.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#48]
If getting blown out 50-0 with a lot of time left in the game is "better than the last three years" then that is one shitty team to compare them to.

Seriously, I wouldn't expect an FCS team to get destroyed like this.

The highlights I've seen make the UT defense look like JUCO football.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I don't understand how UT is this bad.
View Quote

Their coach is garbage and needs to be kicked to the curb.

Some of these Texas fans need to get slapped; to knock them out of whatever trance they're in. There isn't THAT much of a talent gap for Texas, they should be able to at least compete with teams like TCU, and instead they're getting blown out worse than a crap ass FCS school. Stop making excuses for a coach who is obviously not going to work out.

Take it from a guy who just watched his program going through turmoil for just under a decade.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#50]
After a year and a half of paying attention to the ACC, I can confidently state that the refs are absolute shit.

GO CARDS!
Page / 235
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top