BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered my 2007 F150 Supercrew with the 5.5  bed.

I can still put my ATV in the back with the tailgate down.

I love the short box for everyday drive.

Unless you always are hauling things over 10 feet.  (With tailgate down its  2.5 inches shy of 8 feet).

View Quote

I'm the exact opposite. I hate driving short boxes because of how short the wheel base is. I like being able to throw my quad, as well as my rifle, tent, sleeping bag, cooler, etc all in the truck bed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm the exact opposite. I hate driving short boxes because of how short the wheel base is. I like being able to throw my quad, as well as my rifle, tent, sleeping bag, cooler, etc all in the truck bed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ordered my 2007 F150 Supercrew with the 5.5  bed.

I can still put my ATV in the back with the tailgate down.

I love the short box for everyday drive.

Unless you always are hauling things over 10 feet.  (With tailgate down its  2.5 inches shy of 8 feet).

I know exactly what you are saying.  I have wished it was longer box a few times, but not the few times while parking in a ramp in downtown Chicago.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Shortbed is easier to live with the 87% of the time you're not hauling anything.

If it won't fit in a shortbed get a trailer.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
California allows you to choose much less own a truck?

My vote would be depending on your application.  Short and long beds aren't just for looks, it's for function.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shortbed is easier to live with the 87% of the time you're not hauling anything.

View Quote

Trailers are easier to maneuver with the longer wheelbase a long bed provides
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had two 3/4ton trucks with extended cab and 8' boxes, and now have a Ram crew with the 6.5' box.  The overall length of all the trucks was very similar (new Ram 4 doors have bigger cabs than in past) so parking is similar.  I just park further out and enjoy the walk, or pick something close that I can pull through or back in to.  The 6.5 is fine for most things, but consider the 8 footer if you haul firewood or plan on helping a lot of people move, etc.  I am not even sure you can get an 8' in an extended cab 1/2 ton anymore anyways.  A 5.5 wouldn't work for me as my bed is tight enough with the atv and gear.  Resale is tough on regular cabs these days.  

I tent camped out of the longer bed  trucks, plenty of room for gear.  If you want to sleep in the bed, longer is better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#8]
8' foot suits me better. I've had 6.5' and went back to 8', I found it irksome to have to hang stuff out the back with the tailgate down all the time. Not that it won't ever happen with an 8', but it sure does a lot less.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Whatever fits in your garage, OP.

It really is that simple.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Whatever fits in your garage, OP.

It really is that simple.
View Quote

Not everyone parks in their garage. I don't, because I use my garage for storage. Driveways work fine for parking a vehicle on.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#11]
It truly depends on what you need it for. I haul stuff all the time so the 8ft box is something that I use. Like others have said, parking a truck with 4 doors and an 8ft box in the city can be quite the challenge. But backing a trailer with a long truck is easier. There are positives and negatives to each setup. Make a list of each and see which out weighs the other.

I know that I am going to get shit for this. On your choice of truck, I would reconsider it. My apologies to the FoMoCo engineer that posted here but I do not have the faith in Ford trucks that I used to. I do in fact like Ford products and I own a 2012 Focus Hatchback. However they have had issues with their newer trucks holding up when they have higher miles. My dad owns a used car dealership, when I am home on leave I go to the auction with him. Ford trucks go for significantly lower prices than their Chevrolet and Dodge counterparts. There is a reason for that. I personally have a favorite brand of trucks but I don't like my views of which brand is better to alter someones purchase, I do however have a problem with not telling someone that a product has a flaw with it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Extended or crew cab short bed. Otherwise regular cab long bed. Especially if used for plowing snow.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I personally would go with a long bed.
If all you think you need is a short bed then don't get a truck get a SUV with the rear seats folded down it has damn near the same cargo room as a short bed truck.
View Quote

It still depends on the mix of people and stuff you are carrying.

SUV is a valid option but it's not as nice as a short bed truck for carrying things that will fuck up an interior.  I have a 5.5ft bed on my latest (8ft and 6.5ft previously) and I'd say about 50% of the things I end up throwing in the back, I wouldn't want to put inside an SUV due to the mess.  (leaves, dirt, needles, snow, mud, gas ect).  You are also height constrained with an SUV, the roof height is the roof height and it ain't going anywhere even if you are only 1 inch short to fit in a dresser or a couch.

The SUV makes sense if you need to carry more than 5 people.  If you don't, it's got nothing over a short a bed truck.  The one nice thing I will say about my 5.5ft box is that it carries all the same stuff my longer trucks did albeit with the tailgate down and more elaborate strapping to secure the load.  No doubt you might need to take more trips, but at least you have the basic capability if your needs are occasional rather than an every day thing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Short bed unless you KNOW you need a long bed for something.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Short bed unless you KNOW you need a long bed for something.
View Quote

I've always preferred the opposite. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If it will mostly be used as a big car go short bed, if actually used as a truck the extra space of a long bed will be appreciated.
View Quote

If you buy a truck, why would you use it as a car?

Scratching my head over that one!

Trucks are for hauling shit and having gun racks in the back window.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok ... here ya go Duramaxipad boy

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had both, but my last two have been extended-cab short boxes.  It's my daily driver, and I don't haul stuff every day.  

I'd say short for your purposes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I ever said I wish I had a long bed in all the years I had my short bed (early) extend bed 4x4.  I sure could have used a large rear seat many times, but a full crew-cab?  don't think so.  That includes camping in the Mojave, the Sierras, towing small trailers etc.

Based on the times, one of the other Dads in the Scouts and Cubs brought his crew-cab long bed to the same activities, that extra length was a hassle more often than it helped.  In cramped quarters it was a real pain and he freely admitted it was a pain in town finding parking places.
View Quote

Don't you need a Bus license for such a ridiculous vehicle?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://www.2040-cars.com/_content/cars/images/89/455989/001.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not enough lift or chrome, can't tell if you have a Florida Georgia Line CD or not. Do you even truck bro?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#21]
has anyone come in to say if you don't need a full ton diesel truck to haul trailers everyday you don't deserve to own a truck?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
has anyone come in to say if you don't need a full ton diesel truck to haul trailers everyday you don't deserve to own a truck?
View Quote

I wouldn't go that far but dammit all to hell, if it can't haul a 4x8 with the gate closed, it should NOT EVER be classified as a truck!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Take each style to a crowded mall, park the trucks in a space as close to the stores as you can. Then take it home and see if it fits your garage if your plan is to park there for the night. Will you like parking that size truck everyday?
I just bought a short bed GMC Canyon. Parks easy, rides nice and isn't the length of an aircraft carrier. Did the above and even though I have room in the garage for a long bed I'm not hauling tons of stuff.
Congrats on getting a new truck.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not enough lift or chrome, can't tell if you have a Florida Georgia Line CD or not. Do you even truck bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#25]
I hauled more shit in the 6' bed of my Ranger than most fullsize trucks will ever see, and I rarely had an issue with its length.  Unless you have a specific need for an 8' bed, I'd go with a short bed for easier driveability.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Using it for weekend family stuff short bed ,

Actually using it for work long bed

Fuel tank and toolbox leave me with a shortbed

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a F-150 extended cab with a 6.5 foot bed for the last 13 years, it's perfect for me.
There are a few times (very few) when I wished it was an 8 foot bed and never a time when I wished it was a short bed (in fact if it were a short bed I'd always be complaining that I wished I'd gotten a bigger bed).

Different strokes for different folks.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got a new job and will be making some good money so its time to get a Truck, but I know squat about them.

Most of the use will be desert shoots with steal targets, and camping alongside just moving crap for the fam. So do I need a long or short bed?

ETA: Got my eyes on a Ford F-150.

View Quote

What I want to know is whose targets did you steal? We have some missing from our club.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#29]
If you actually haul stuff, the long bed is king. Pulling a trailer it rides much better than the choppy short bed ride. If you're going off-road a bunch, the short bed's shorter wheelbase will handle uneven terrain better, without high centering.

Desert use sounds like short bed territory. Borrow a long bed if you need to move a bunch of stuff.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I voted short bed.  I have a 2010 Crew Cab F150 with the short bed and park in a parking garage for work so a long bed would never work for me.

In the 5 years of owning it there have probably been only 2-3 times where I think a long bed would have come in handy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Depends on the cab arrangement what is long vs. short but I think a truck needs a 6ft bed at minimum.  Tailgate down on a 6 ft bed allows you to do most things OK.

4ft "beds" are dildos.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a 4 door Tacoma with THAT shortbed.  It takes care of what I need it to do.  And that's about as small as it gets.

I've typically always had a truck.  Had a couple of jobs which required the use of a truck and  handful of times a long bed was preferred.  

A large truck bed can come in handy as opposed to necessary.

From what you've described, get a shortbed.  This is preferred when looking at getting a 4 door truck because a large sized crew cab plus a long bed is a bitch to get around for 90% of us.  I don't go to the mall for myself but I do with the wife.  Wait until you have to do a nose in parking and then try to leave.  Then tell me if it's worth having a long bed plus 4 doors for maybe only need it once or twice a year if that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Take each style to a crowded mall, park the trucks in a space as close to the stores as you can.
View Quote

Men don't go to the mall.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
are you looking at 15's or closeout 14's?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: Got my eyes on a Ford F-150.

are you looking at 15's or closeout 14's?
15s, but now looking at Tacomas too as they give a lot of features for the money.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

First question to ask is standard cab , bonus cab or crew cab

Then look at bed sizes.

If all your use is out in the sticks length doesn't really matter unless you are mud bogging or rock crawling . If your use is in town where you have to park it any of the longer trucks get to be a pain real fast.

Standard cab is generally way cheaper. Some guys need the space for kids or whatever but they are pricey

I am kind of old school so standard cab with 8' bed works best for me . Ok to park but the 8" works best for lumber or firewood.

If I throw my toolbox in there I still have some space left over . toolbox with a 6' and you barely have room for a push mower . (yeah I saw the guy with the atv strapped to his tailgate )
View Quote
Double cab cause of kids.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First question to ask is standard cab , bonus cab or crew cab

Then look at bed sizes.

If all your use is out in the sticks length doesn't really matter unless you are mud bogging or rock crawling . If your use is in town where you have to park it any of the longer trucks get to be a pain real fast.

Standard cab is generally way cheaper. Some guys need the space for kids or whatever but they are pricey

I am kind of old school so standard cab with 8' bed works best for me . Ok to park but the 8" works best for lumber or firewood.
If I throw my toolbox in there I still have some space left over . toolbox with a 6' and you barely have room for a push mower . (yeah I saw the guy with the atv strapped to his tailgate )

Get the F150.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Do you want to keep it in the garage?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I find when I buy trucks that I always buy the extra cab, long bed, 4wd. I am not really motivated by any other configuration...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hauled more shit in the 6' bed of my Ranger than most fullsize trucks will ever see, and I rarely had an issue with its length.  Unless you have a specific need for an 8' bed, I'd go with a short bed for easier driveability.

I find when I buy trucks that I always buy the extra cab, long bed, 4wd. I am not really motivated by any other configuration...

That is my preferred configuration, but I haven't had that in several years. Those seem to be hard to find used in my area.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#40]
For work - long bed

For fun - generally short bed
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Depends. I went long bed on my f350. It's a big truck capable of hauling a lot of shit. Might as well have the most amount of space to do it with. I went with a 5' bed on the colorado. it's the only option with a 4 door, I only plan on hauling my dog and other little shit with it, it's my daily driver, and long beds on midsized trucks look silly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#42]
It's a fucking truck, not a family hauler.

Short cab.

Long bed.

Leave your purse, wife, and kids at home.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought the longest bed ext. cab Ranger I could find, I swear.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#45]
fwiw I used to camp in my 6' bed all the time.  Supercrew with a 5.5' foot bed that replaced it sucked for camping. 8' would be great to camp in.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#46]
6.5' or better... The super shorts suck unless all you're using it for is towing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#47]
My short bed Silveraydo did not work out well with the new gooseneck hitch in the bed.  I failed to realize I need a hitch extension....this after I backed up, turning it into place, and exploded my rear window as the corner of the trailer smashed the pillar.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My short bed Silveraydo did not work out well with the new gooseneck hitch in the bed.  I failed to realize I need a hitch extension....this after I backed up, turning it into place, and exploded my rear window as the corner of the trailer smashed the pillar.  
View Quote

Long beds aren't impervious. My dad had a gooseneck dump trailer come around the side when he hit patch of ice and knocked out his rear window as well. It was  brand new 3500 LTZ dually with less 5K miles on it
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#49]
4-Door long bed.  Take up 2 spaces near the exit at War-Mart like a Boss.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#50]
For your uses, a short bed will be fine.
Page / 3
Top Top