User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a fucking truck, not a family hauler.

Short cab.

Long bed.

Leave your purse, wife, and kids at home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Short cab.

Long bed.

exactly -- there's no good reason to have both cab space, passenger comfort, and the ability to haul cargo larger than a sedan or an SUV. NEVER does a homeowner or family man need that kind of thing -- get the longest bed with the biggest engine so you can drive around with an empty bed the majority of the time getting 12 miles to the gallon -- otherwise you're one of those cross dressing sissy boys FDE is into and should just get a prius to match your purse and pumps is what I say!

Quoted:
15s, but now looking at Tacomas too as they give a lot of features for the money.  

Isn't the tacoma getting a pretty major refresh for 2016? If you're looking into newer toytota trucks, might want to hold off for that. If not, really consider looking into the 2014 F150's -- they're pretty much giving them away. Get like a lariat trim level and you'll have a shit ton of features. Also, look into joining the Mustang club of america for x plan pricing at ford -- it gives you below dealer cost before any rebates, for instance my 2015 XLT had a sticker of 47000 -- with Z plan (just a little better than x plan) the price was 41000 before any rebates, which made it 39000. There are A LOT of rebates on the 14's so you could easily get a pretty decked out 14 right now for a great price.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Cargo space vs. Passenger space.  Fuck it, get both.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:11:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 6.5' bed in my Tundra and I consider that perfect.

My last truck was a F250 with an 8' bed and it felt like driving a bus. I wouldn't look at a bed that big again unless I needed it for work.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:17:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I like long beds but,  I use my truck as a truck.   I use my car or motorcycle otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:23:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Short cab.

Long bed.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I went with the long bed and access cab.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

To make it worse, I also always get the biggest engine and a manual transmission.

I think at this point it means I'm never buying a truck built after about 2009...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I find when I buy trucks that I always buy the extra cab, long bed, 4wd. I am not really motivated by any other configuration...

That is my preferred configuration, but I haven't had that in several years. Those seem to be hard to find used in my area.

To make it worse, I also always get the biggest engine and a manual transmission.

I think at this point it means I'm never buying a truck built after about 2009...

The problem is getting a clutch in a pickup that can handle near 900ft-lbs of torque. Besides that you can have that configuration. It will probably be my next new truck.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#9]
F250 CC with a long bed, wouldn't have it any other way.

If your not going to use it, then go short bed and use a trailer when needing the extra capacity.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Other than a Tacoma, who makes a manual transmission 4wd pickup?

Edit:
Not a four cylinder in a Colorado.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I find when I buy trucks that I always buy the extra cab, long bed, 4wd. I am not really motivated by any other configuration...

That is my preferred configuration, but I haven't had that in several years. Those seem to be hard to find used in my area.

The problem is getting a clutch in a pickup that can handle near 900ft-lbs of torque. Besides that you can have that configuration. It will probably be my next new truck.

Other than a Tacoma, who makes a manual transmission 4wd pickup?

Edit:
Not a four cylinder in a Colorado.

Dodge makes a ton of manual cummins
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#14]
OP fail

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A short bed truck is about as useful as a car with a trunk that doesn't lock.
View Quote
Some of them shortest ones don't look as big as the trunks on old cars or the hatchback area of a small crossover type vehicle nowadays.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Camping in the truck bed = long bed
4wheeling = short bed
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stock clutch in a Toyota pickup is rated to 900ft/lb.  Heavy duty clutches bump that up to 1200-1600ft/lb.  Surely similar clutches are available for other trucks?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The stock clutch in a Toyota pickup is rated to 900ft/lb.  Heavy duty clutches bump that up to 1200-1600ft/lb.  Surely similar clutches are available for other trucks?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the clutch is nearly as much a problem as getting a transmission that can handle the torque and still fit in the available space under the truck. That's why the cummins is derated to 600 lbs ft when you order a manual trans.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
has anyone come in to say if you don't need a full ton diesel truck to haul trailers everyday you don't deserve to own a truck?
View Quote

No, but we are getting there.  

"How could you possibly want/need a truck for any thing if you don't use it for these specific things?"

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
15s, but now looking at Tacomas too as they give a lot of features for the money.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Got my eyes on a Ford F-150.

are you looking at 15's or closeout 14's?

Going long bed will limit available features/options.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A short bed truck is about as useful as a car with a trunk that doesn't lock.
View Quote

I like when people makes posts about trucks that show how little they actually know about how trucks are used.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#22]

8' beds cost more than 6.5.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#23]
No truck is the do all, end all.  If you have access to a trailer, get a 6.5'.  If you don't have friends to borrow from, get an 8'.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a F150 extended cab short bed. I like the short bed a lot. I tow some, and use the bed often, but have never wanted a long bed. I've driven the long bed and IMO it sucks to drive in the city and tight parking lots.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Short cab.

Long bed.

View Quote

That's the great thing about the extended cab short bed..it's both a family hauler and a truck. I can haul all 4 of my boys, and all the shit we need for a campout and our bikes in my truck, and I can also haul my work trailer when I need to.

It's really convenient.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's the great thing about the extended cab short bed..it's both a family hauler and a truck. I can haul all 4 of my boys, and all the shit we need for a campout and our bikes in my truck, and I can also haul my work trailer when I need to.

It's really convenient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Short cab.

Long bed.

It's really convenient.

The places I go, only a short cab, long box (or a crew cab, super short box) will fit.

You have to pick whether you want a passenger vehicle or a truck--and you're better off with an SUV if you want the former.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No truck is the do all, end all.  If you have access to a trailer, get a 6.5'.  If you don't have friends to borrow from, get an 8'.
View Quote

There really aren't that many things an 8' bed can do that a 6.5 can't. If you do those things a lot, you already know that you need an 8' bed. In the last 25 years of work, hobbies, camping, and home improvement where I was behind the wheel, I have never had a use for an 8' bed. There have been countless times I would have liked to have a smaller vehicle for parking. There have been several times where more space would have been nice, but renting a van would have been better than using an 8'er.  The 8' bed has fallen out of favor for a good reason. For infrequent use, you can even rent them.

Obviously, they are useful for some people, its just that that group isn't very numerous.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Wut about stealing targets?

I voted long bed. Might be kind of a PITA to park or put in a garage, but eh, its a truck.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The places I go, only a short cab, long box (or a crew cab, super short box) will fit.

You have to pick whether you want a passenger vehicle or a truck--and you're better off with an SUV if you want the former.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Short cab.

Long bed.

It's really convenient.

Hmmm...maybe other people go to different places than you do? Crazy thought I know.

Why do I have to pick when my F-150 does both really well?

And no I'm not better off with a SUV. I've had a midsized SUV and my F-150 is a lot more convenient. I can haul more and my kids are just as comfortable in it. Again- maybe...just maybe..other people have different requirements in a vehicle than you have.
A lot of the places I drive is extremely inconvenient to have a long bed. And why the fuck would I buy a truck that I can't also use to haul my 4 sons in?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#30]
If you plan on going on long highway drives you can get bigger in-bed auxiliary fuel tanks into the 8 ft bed.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hmmm...maybe other people go to different places than you do? Crazy thought I know.

And no I'm not better off with a SUV. I've had a midsized SUV and my F-150 is a lot more convenient. I can haul more and my kids are just as comfortable in it. Again- maybe...just maybe..other people have different requirements in a vehicle than you have.
A lot of the places I drive is extremely inconvenient to have a long bed. And why the fuck would I buy a truck that I can't also use to haul my 4 sons in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Short cab.

Long bed.

It's really convenient.

This is GD, where buying a $35,000 truck that can do everything you need is wasteful, but buying a stripped down truck for $28,000 and a stripped down car for $20,000 is the way to go. Never mind that the truck can do everything as good or better than the other two while costing less and not requiring two registrations, more insurance, and taking up more space. Then you can own what someone on the internet called a REAL truck!  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine's a long bed.  I wanted a short bed, but the configuration I wanted is called the Grail truck because they were only made for half a year in 1998 (12V Cummins, short bed, quad cab) so I settled for a '97 long bed.  I'll be hauling 100 sheets of OSB this weekend, but overall I don't use the long bed enough to be worth it.  

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top