BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But people decide to be Christians and part of that decision is deciding that they agree with the 10 commandments as their moral compass.  They could just as well have decided to follow the moral compass of Buddhism.  But an atheist choses not to follow ANY established moral code.  He makes it up to suit himself.   Imagine a world of nothing but atheists, all of them making up their own moral code.  Many would have a moral code of if it feels good do it, if it doesn't feel good don't do it.  If they feel like having their way with a woman, who are you to tell them not to?  What right do you have to impose your morals on them?  You all just make up whatever morals you want right?  I wouldn't be so down on atheists if you would organize and come up with some kind of recognized moral code.  Until then, you're just a bunch of Godless barbarians.  Not that there's anything wrong with that:)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some Christians have difficulty understanding how morals and ethics can even exist with an atheist.....

If the atheist says "if it feels good, and I can get away with it, then it's "right", does that make it right?  Moral?  

Atheists have no moral compass.  There is no 10 commandments of atheism that all atheists agree on.

And without any moral compass, anything goes.  

When an atheist says "I'm a moral atheist", the atheist is really saying nothing, because the atheist is the one deciding what's moral and what's not.

But the worst thing about atheists is that when man does not have a God, he tends to create one, and the God of atheists more often than not is Government, and as would be expected, most liberals are atheists, so are most communists.  

Atheists are just bad news imho.    

No, no one is claiming that, sorry for your strawman.

Theists have no moral compass as far as I can tell. Divine command morality means they are completely unable to judge the morality of any new situation proposed to them.  There are no universal set of rules that all theists agree on.

When a theist says "I'm a moral xyz religion" they are really saying nothing, since there is not set of morality that all people of that religion agree on, and its theist choosing which interpretation of which parts of the religion he wants, and which ones he doesn't.

And the worst thing about a man that does have a god is he tends to pretend that god supports every little tyrannical thing that he wants to do, usually through the force of government.

Theists are just bad news IMHO.

But people decide to be Christians and part of that decision is deciding that they agree with the 10 commandments as their moral compass.  They could just as well have decided to follow the moral compass of Buddhism.  But an atheist choses not to follow ANY established moral code.  He makes it up to suit himself.   Imagine a world of nothing but atheists, all of them making up their own moral code.  Many would have a moral code of if it feels good do it, if it doesn't feel good don't do it.  If they feel like having their way with a woman, who are you to tell them not to?  What right do you have to impose your morals on them?  You all just make up whatever morals you want right?  I wouldn't be so down on atheists if you would organize and come up with some kind of recognized moral code.  Until then, you're just a bunch of Godless barbarians.  Not that there's anything wrong with that:)

You do know how fucking stupid it sounds to ask a people who don't beleive in god to form a social club to make some sort of recognized moral code, don't you?  How in the hell does a whole group of people you claim don't have morals to begin with make a code and suddenly have morals?  Wouldn't that mean at least one of us was capable of having morals without god in the first place?  And if one is capable, why not all?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Any one change their beliefs yet?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Works for me.  

Now if an Atheist was to tell me they follow the 10 commandments as their moral code, but they just don't believe in God, then I might be OK with that.
What I have a hard time with are the majority of atheists who say they make up their own morality as they go and then insist that they are just as moral as
I am.  Really?  You can't all agree on a single moral code but you are all equally moral?
View Quote

How about the golden rule? That's basically the morality that most people adhere to, religious or not.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I went from just not believing in god, to not liking many christians, does that count?

But I can honestly say  that of all the christians I meet every day, and the ones I'm very good friends wiith, none of them are pricks like some of the ones here, and none would claim I don't have no morals due to simply not believing in god, just like I wouldn't claim, and havent in this thread, that people are stupid for believing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
But people decide to be Christians and part of that decision is deciding that they agree with the 10 commandments as their moral compass.  They could just as well have decided to follow the moral compass of Buddhism.  But an atheist choses not to follow ANY established moral code.  He makes it up to suit himself.   Imagine a world of nothing but atheists, all of them making up their own moral code.  Many would have a moral code of if it feels good do it, if it doesn't feel good don't do it.  If they feel like having their way with a woman, who are you to tell them not to?  What right do you have to impose your morals on them?  You all just make up whatever morals you want right? I wouldn't be so down on atheists if you would organize and come up with some kind of recognized moral code.  Until then, you're just a bunch of Godless barbarians.  Not that there's anything wrong with that:)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the atheist says "if it feels good, and I can get away with it, then it's "right", does that make it right?  Moral?  

Atheists have no moral compass.  There is no 10 commandments of atheism that all atheists agree on.

When an atheist says "I'm a moral atheist", the atheist is really saying nothing, because the atheist is the one deciding what's moral and what's not.

But the worst thing about atheists is that when man does not have a God, he tends to create one, and the God of atheists more often than not is Government, and as would be expected, most liberals are atheists, so are most communists.  

No, no one is claiming that, sorry for your strawman.

Theists have no moral compass as far as I can tell. Divine command morality means they are completely unable to judge the morality of any new situation proposed to them.  There are no universal set of rules that all theists agree on.

When a theist says "I'm a moral xyz religion" they are really saying nothing, since there is not set of morality that all people of that religion agree on, and its theist choosing which interpretation of which parts of the religion he wants, and which ones he doesn't.

And the worst thing about a man that does have a god is he tends to pretend that god supports every little tyrannical thing that he wants to do, usually through the force of government.

Theists are just bad news IMHO.

But people decide to be Christians and part of that decision is deciding that they agree with the 10 commandments as their moral compass.  They could just as well have decided to follow the moral compass of Buddhism.  But an atheist choses not to follow ANY established moral code.  He makes it up to suit himself.   Imagine a world of nothing but atheists, all of them making up their own moral code.  Many would have a moral code of if it feels good do it, if it doesn't feel good don't do it.  If they feel like having their way with a woman, who are you to tell them not to?  What right do you have to impose your morals on them?  You all just make up whatever morals you want right? I wouldn't be so down on atheists if you would organize and come up with some kind of recognized moral code.  Until then, you're just a bunch of Godless barbarians.  Not that there's anything wrong with that:)
Except christians ignore most commandments all the time, and have different understandings of the ones they do agree on (aka, when is killing murder?)

Yep, exactly the same as theists do.  Good point. They could have just as easily chose to follow the moral code of ISIS and pretend it is objective.  Its not, its just something they picked for themselves based on what they want to do.

Imagine a world full of theists, you'd have billions of theists killing each other, flying planes into buildings, taking land from each other, stealing from each other, justifying their misdeeds because "they are bad people whom god wants us to get rid of".  You'd have millions of theists doing "what they think is right based on their subjective feelings about their religion" If it doesn't feel good, then they change what they believe about their religion, or pick a different version of it. If they want to have their way with a woman, they claim god says its okay for them to have a temporary "wife", or, better yet, they say "oh lord, what I have I done, I'm a broken sinner, please forgive me", then they go out and do it again next week. Who are we to tell them that they are wrong, I mean, you theists just make up whatever god you want right?

I wouldn't be so down on theists if you'd get together and agree on a single universal code for all theists. Until then you're just a bunch of superstitious barbarians making up your gods as you go.  Not that there is anything wrong it that.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Works for me.  

Now if an Atheist was to tell me they follow the 10 commandments as their moral code, but they just don't believe in God, then I might be OK with that.

What I have a hard time with are the majority of atheists who say they make up their own morality as they go and then insist that they are just as moral as

I am.  Really?  You can't all agree on a single moral code but you are all equally moral?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But people decide to be Christians and part of that decision is deciding that they agree with the 10 commandments as their moral compass.  They could just as well have decided to follow the moral compass of Buddhism.  But an atheist choses not to follow any established moral code.  He makes it up to suit himself.   Imagine a world of nothing but atheists, all of them making up their own moral code. Many would have a moral code of if it feels good do it, if it doesn't feel good don't do it.  If they feel like having their way with a woman, who are you to tell them not to?  What right do you have to impose your morals on them?  You all just make up whatever morals you want right? I wouldn't be so down on atheists if you would organize and come up with some kind of recognized moral code.  Until then, your just a bunch of Godless barbarians.  Not that there's anything wrong with that:)

But religious people do the same thing. They have made up a moral code that makes them feel good, then gave themselves selective amnesia and pretend the moral code from god, so they feel even gooder about having an absolute and superior moral code, a moral mandate from Heaven itself.

Works for me.  

Most atheists don't say they 'make up their own moral code'...at least, no atheist I have ever met has ever said this.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Morality really is a fascinating topic. What is moral has changed radically through the ages and among various cultures. Take us arguing over morality as we perceive it here and now. Even though we vehemently disagree as to the source of that morality, we pretty much agree on most important aspect of what is and isn't moral. Yet, go into the mountains of Afghanistan or among aboriginal peoples of the Amazon, and they would think we're all nuts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most atheists don't say they 'make up their own moral code'...at least, no atheist I have ever met has ever said this.

Morality really is a fascinating topic. What is moral has changed radically through the ages and among various cultures. Take us arguing over morality as we perceive it here and now. Even though we vehemently disagree as to the source of that morality, we pretty much agree on most important aspect of what is and isn't moral. Yet, go into the mountains of Afghanistan or among aboriginal peoples of the Amazon, and they would think we're all nuts.

Dude, none of the chirstians here will admit any of the atheist have anything close to morals, and  a few seemed shocked we aren't out setting fires and kicking babies like they think they would without religion.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some Christians have difficulty understanding how morals and ethics can even exist with an atheist.....

Congratulations for having figured out how to attack the character of a large number of people here in the most offensive and hateful manner possible, and completely escape censure from site staff - while simultaneously boosting your self-righteous sense of moral superiority.

If I ever said anything remotely similar to this about people like you, I would be perma-banned in a heartbeat, and for good reason - I cannot think of a worse insult than claiming that someone has no morals.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is essentially like going back a handful of centuries, at least when considering western morality.
What shapes my morality is the concept of freedom.
No, it doesn't lend itself to a list of what to do in every single situation, but no moral code that I am aware of is capable of being that objective.

Morality based on ancient religions, while some may claim it is objective, really usually covers such a narrow range of examples that the interpretations of it when it comes to specifics (especially specifics related to modern day life) vary from century to century, society to society, sect to sect, congregation to congregation, and person to person.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm considering some blood sacrifices to Quetzacoatl just to cover my bases, if that counts?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which is essentially like going back a handful of centuries, at least when considering western morality.

No, it doesn't lend itself to a list of what to do in every single situation, but no moral code that I am aware of is capable of being that objective.

Morality based on ancient religions, while some may claim it is objective, really usually covers such a narrow range of examples that the interpretations of it when it comes to specifics (especially specifics related to modern day life) vary from century to century, society to society, sect to sect, congregation to congregation, and person to person.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

From now on, I serve none but Korrok.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Congratulations for having figured out how to attack the character of a large number of people here in the most offensive and hateful manner possible, and completely escape censure from site staff - while simultaneously boosting your self-righteous sense of moral superiority.

If I ever said anything remotely similar to this about people like you, I would be perma-banned in a heartbeat, and for good reason - I cannot think of a worse insult than claiming that someone has no morals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Offensive and hateful?  You mean like this?

"Imagine a world full of theists, you'd have billions of theists killing each other, flying planes into buildings, taking land from each other, stealing from each other, justifying their misdeeds because "they are bad people whom god wants us to get rid of".  You'd have millions of theists doing "what they think is right based on their subjective feelings about their religion".  If it doesn't feel good, then they change what they believe about their religion, or pick a different version of it. If they want to have their way with a woman, they claim god says its okay for them to have a temporary "wife", or, better yet, they say "oh lord, what I have I done, I'm a broken sinner, please forgive me", then they go out and do it again next week. Who are we to tell them that they are wrong, I mean, you theists just make up whatever god you want right?"

I didn't take that as offensive and hateful.   More like Reductio ad absurdum.

I thought we were engaging in some philosophical debate here.  I'm not attacking anyone's character or morals, I'm just stating the obvious that atheists make up their own morals instead of following some widely accepted moral code like say, the 10 commandments.  And that when you make up your own moral code, that's kind of like the fox guarding the moral henhouse don't you think?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'm considering some blood sacrifices to Quetzacoatl just to cover my bases, if that counts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"Imagine a world full of theists, you'd have billions of theists killing each other, flying planes into buildings, taking land from each other, stealing from each other, justifying their misdeeds because "they are bad people whom god wants us to get rid of".  You'd have millions of theists doing "what they think is right based on their subjective feelings about their religion".  If it doesn't feel good, then they change what they believe about their religion, or pick a different version of it. If they want to have their way with a woman, they claim god says its okay for them to have a temporary "wife", or, better yet, they say "oh lord, what I have I done, I'm a broken sinner, please forgive me", then they go out and do it again next week. Who are we to tell them that they are wrong, I mean, you theists just make up whatever god you want right?"

I didn't take that as offensive and hateful.  

I thought we were engaging in some philosophical debate here.  I'm not attacking anyone's character or morals, I'm just stating the obvious that atheists make up their own morals instead of following some widely accepted moral code like say, the 10 commandments.  And that when you make up your own moral code, that's kind of like the fox guarding the moral henhouse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought we were engaging in some philosophical debate here.  I'm not attacking anyone's character or morals, I'm just stating the obvious that atheists make up their own morals instead of following some widely accepted moral code like say, the 10 commandments.  And that when you make up your own moral code, that's kind of like the fox guarding the moral henhouse.

Your own moral code is impossible of being directly in line with the moral code that was laid out in the ten commandments, as your perception is inherently flawed as a human being. Everyone's perception varies, and their interpretation of the moral code that was laid out in the ten commandments varies as well.

Those who attempt to follow the moral code set out in the 10 commandments are in fact creating their own moral code based on their perception of the moral code they attempt to follow.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

"Imagine a world full of theists, you'd have billions of theists killing each other, flying planes into buildings, taking land from each other, stealing from each other, justifying their misdeeds because "they are bad people whom god wants us to get rid of".  You'd have millions of theists doing "what they think is right based on their subjective feelings about their religion"[/span] [span style='color: rgb(0, 100, 0);']If it doesn't feel good, then they change what they believe about their religion, or pick a different version of it. If they want to have their way with a woman, they claim god says its okay for them to have a temporary "wife", or, better yet, they say "oh lord, what I have I done, I'm a broken sinner, please forgive me", then they go out and do it again next week. Who are we to tell them that they are wrong, I mean, you theists just make up whatever god you want right?"

[span style='color: rgb(255, 0, 0);']I thought we were engaging in some philosophical debate here.  I'm not attacking anyone's character or morals,[/span] I'm just stating the obvious that atheists make up their own morals instead of following some widely accepted moral code like say, the 10 commandments.  And that when you make up your own moral code, that's kind of like the fox guarding the moral henhouse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Imagine a world full of theists, you'd have billions of theists killing each other, flying planes into buildings, taking land from each other, stealing from each other, justifying their misdeeds because "they are bad people whom god wants us to get rid of".  You'd have millions of theists doing "what they think is right based on their subjective feelings about their religion"[/span] [span style='color: rgb(0, 100, 0);']If it doesn't feel good, then they change what they believe about their religion, or pick a different version of it. If they want to have their way with a woman, they claim god says its okay for them to have a temporary "wife", or, better yet, they say "oh lord, what I have I done, I'm a broken sinner, please forgive me", then they go out and do it again next week. Who are we to tell them that they are wrong, I mean, you theists just make up whatever god you want right?"

[span style='color: rgb(255, 0, 0);']I thought we were engaging in some philosophical debate here.  I'm not attacking anyone's character or morals,[/span] I'm just stating the obvious that atheists make up their own morals instead of following some widely accepted moral code like say, the 10 commandments.  And that when you make up your own moral code, that's kind of like the fox guarding the moral henhouse.
Bullshit.  No one could possibly be stupid enough to believe that when he says that someone has no morals, he's not attacking their character or morals.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Actually I warned him for his "the German mass murder pilot must have been an atheist" thread. Some of this "atheists are all immoral/evil" stuff is going into the land of trying to provoke people. It's a not very cute trick to call atheists names then report them when they retaliate.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I warned him for his "the German mass murder pilot must have been an atheist" thread. Some of this "atheists are all immoral/evil" stuff is going into the land of trying to provoke people. It's a not very cute trick to call atheists names then report them when they retaliate.  

Frankly, I think the report button is way overfuckin used.  

It should be a "Holt shit, is that guy really asking where he can find child porn?  *click*"

In reality it seems like it's become the butthurt report button.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Works for me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But people decide to be Christians and part of that decision is deciding that they agree with the 10 commandments as their moral compass.  They could just as well have decided to follow the moral compass of Buddhism.  But an atheist choses not to follow any established moral code.  He makes it up to suit himself.   Imagine a world of nothing but atheists, all of them making up their own moral code. Many would have a moral code of if it feels good do it, if it doesn't feel good don't do it.  If they feel like having their way with a woman, who are you to tell them not to?  What right do you have to impose your morals on them?  You all just make up whatever morals you want right? I wouldn't be so down on atheists if you would organize and come up with some kind of recognized moral code.  Until then, your just a bunch of Godless barbarians.  Not that there's anything wrong with that:)

But religious people do the same thing. They have made up a moral code that makes them feel good, then gave themselves selective amnesia and pretend the moral code from god, so they feel even gooder about having an absolute and superior moral code, a moral mandate from Heaven itself.

Works for me.  

But you don't know that "the majority of atheists" make up their own morality as they go. The position of atheism is so awesome in its simplicity that religious people have a hard time understanding it. Atheists take the stance that they don't think there is god; that says nothing about morality. Religious people who can't handle simplicity but like to make things complicated tack on the assumption that 'if there is no god than there is no moral code'. But this is an assumption that religious people like to smuggle in. It does by no means follow.

From where I'm standing, not even members of the same religion can agree on the same moral code. And by looking around I cannot tell who is religious and who is an atheist by looking alone. There is nothing atheists do that religious people don't. So, I think, in the end, at the extreme end, the question just reveals the underlying resentment of (some, but not all) theists toward the unbelieving others. The real intent is to disparage, to make other human beings into something lesser, to make atheists look like something closer to the beasts of the jungle. We could argue how much of that is personal ignorance and how much is a feature of the religious worldview itself.

eta: I'm not insinuating that your intent is to disparage, as I've already supposed on the previous page that you were being sarcastic and I chose to play at that game and engage you merely for the sake of debate and fun
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/fe/49/d1/fe49d18e811d8e80f800d6a228178e68.jpg

Oh yeah, like I'm going to believe a chaplain from The Salamanders...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bullshit.  No one could possibly be stupid enough to believe that when he says that someone has no morals, he's not attacking their character or morals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say atheists have no morals.  I said atheists make up their own morals as they go.  But when you make up your own morals, what morals do you really have?  
It's kind of pointless to argue about the morals of atheists because you all make up your own.  With so many different moral codes.  Which one of you has it right?  
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  The moral code you came up with may be better than the moral code of the other atheists in this thread.   Of course have nothing to base that on, because I have no idea what moral code you dreamed up for yourself.  Who knows, you might be the "one" that came up with the bestest one of all.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It would be funny if it said " butthurt"
View Quote

Can we start a lobby for the button to be changed to a sore butt icon?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes aimless did warn me... I'm trying to walk a thin line here... Trying to make a rational argument with Devils advocates for atheism.  But it's about impossible.  Everyone is so PC these days.  You can't even have a discussion without offending someone.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I didn't say atheists have no morals.  [span style='color: rgb(255, 0, 0);']I said atheists make up their own morals as they go.[/span]  But when you make up your own morals, what morals do you really have?  

It's kind of pointless to argue about the morals of atheists because you all make up your own.  With so many different moral codes.  Which one of you has it right?  

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.[span style='color: rgb(0, 100, 0);']  The moral code you came up with are better than the moral code of the other atheists in this thread.   Of course have nothing to base that on, because I have no idea what moral code you dreamed up for yourself.  Who knows, you might be the "one" that came up with the bestest one of all.[/span]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't say atheists have no morals.  [span style='color: rgb(255, 0, 0);']I said atheists make up their own morals as they go.[/span]  But when you make up your own morals, what morals do you really have?  

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.[span style='color: rgb(0, 100, 0);']  The moral code you came up with are better than the moral code of the other atheists in this thread.   Of course have nothing to base that on, because I have no idea what moral code you dreamed up for yourself.  Who knows, you might be the "one" that came up with the bestest one of all.[/span]

[span style='color: rgb(255, 0, 0);']Not any more so than theists.[/span]

Some atheists make up their morals as they go.  Most don't. Most have a set that they follow.

Some theists make up their morals as they go (or at least, make up how they feel that their religion applies to the morality of any situation as they go). Most don't, they have a set that they follow.

Thus you are attacking a strawman.

If you want to insist that atheists "just make up their morals as they go", then I am going to hold theists to the same standard for doing exactly the same thing.

[span style='color: rgb(0, 100, 0);']Exactly the same problem I have with theists, or even, the same problem I have with christians.  You say you are a "christian" and you follow a "christian" moral code.  Too bad there isn't a single morality shared by Christians at any point in history, so I really have no idea if you are a good christian who came up with the best interpretation of christianity of all time, or if you are a bad one who wants to burn people at the stake.[/span]

Like it or not, your morality is not any more objective than atheistic morality, no matter how badly you want to pretend that it is.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Atheists have no moral compass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Atheists have no moral compass.

I didn't say Atheist don't have no morals
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Formatting is ruined, and I'm not sure why.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/fe/49/d1/fe49d18e811d8e80f800d6a228178e68.jpg

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yes aimless did warn me... I'm trying to walk a thin line here... Trying to make a rational argument with Devils advocates for atheism.  But it's about impossible.  Everyone is so PC these days.  You can't even have a discussion without offending someone.
View Quote

I'm going to dispute the veracity of this statement.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I didn't say atheists have no morals.  I said atheists make up their own morals as they go.  But when you make up your own morals, what morals do you really have?  
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  The moral code you came up with are better than the moral code of the other atheists in this thread.   Of course have nothing to base that on, because I have no idea what moral code you dreamed up for yourself.  Who knows, you might be the "one" that came up with the bestest one of all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  The moral code you came up with are better than the moral code of the other atheists in this thread.   Of course have nothing to base that on, because I have no idea what moral code you dreamed up for yourself.  Who knows, you might be the "one" that came up with the bestest one of all.
Bullshit.  You're lying, while inferring that your morals are superior to mine.  LOL.
The_Patriot, 3/26/2015
"If you don't believe in God, you have no morals, no right or wrong . . ."
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1732246__Duck_Dynasty__Star_Phil_Robertson_Under_Fire_Over_Graphic_Comments_About_Atheists__Rape_and_Murder.html&page=14#i52765868

[ETA:  Apparently, the link above isn't working.  Here's the quote; it's on page 14 of this thread.]

Quoted:

I don't understand all the hate here.  Phil is just stating the obvious.  
If
you don't believe in God, you have no morals, no right or wrong, and no
consequences (other than those imposed by man) on anything you do.
Sure
people that believe in God do bad things, but at least you've got a
chance that someone who believes in God will have SOME morality other
than "If it feels good, do it", some respect for a higher power, some
concept of right and wrong.
I'm just stunned how many people here don't get this.
I'm not even a Bible thumper and I get it.

I don't want the benefit of your doubt; I want you to stop attacking
atheists, as a group, based on your claim that they have no morals.    

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/4f/85/7a/4f857aab76e99591b6166c8d9a2b6c0b.jpg

He seems much more trustworthy.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Some atheists make up their morals as they go.  Most don't. Most have a set that they follow.
Some theists make up their morals as they go (or at least, make up how they feel that their religion applies to the morality of any situation as they go). Most don't, they have a set that they follow.

If you want to insist that atheists "just make up their morals as they go", then I am going to hold theists to the same standard for doing exactly the same thing.

[span style='color: rgb(0, 100, 0);']Exactly the same problem I have with theists, or even, the same problem I have with christians.  You say you are a "christian" and you follow a "christian" moral code.  Too bad there isn't a single morality shared by Christians at any point in history, so I really have no idea if you are a good christian who came up with the best interpretation of christianity of all time, or if you are a bad one who wants to burn people at the stake.[/span]

Like it or not, your morality is not any more objective than atheistic morality, no matter how badly you want to pretend that it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.  But I'll take the Ten Commandments over the moral code created by random atheist any day of the week.   My moral code has stood the test of time and has millions of followers.  it is carved in stone.  The moral code of a random atheist can change at the will of the athiest that created it.  It's probably not even written down.   It can be anything.  The atheists advice is just make up your own moral code.  I'm not sure I would trust myself to make up my own moral code.

Again, when an atheists say they have morals, what does that mean?  There is no recognized 10 commandments of athiesm.  Atheists have no guiding moral compass of any religion.  Atheists make up their own morals.  What does that mean?  Can a man make up his own moral code?  Resist the temptation to simply do what feels good?  I don't think so and there is where we really disagree.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#38]
P
Quoted:
But aren't the last six commandments a "moral code" that most societies, Christian or not, adhere to? Isn't this just a codification by the Jews of rules of any functioning society?  

https://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/42-principles-of-maat-2000-years-before-ten-commandments

I just googled that so I have no clue if it's BS. But it's not like stealing, thieving adultery etc are uniquely condemned by Christianity. A human society will tend to have some type of rules against murder and running off with someone's wife. If you raised a group of people from birth on an isolated island where they never heard of Christianity and you told them RonaldMcDonald was the creator, they'd come up with the some version of the last six commandments .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't take that as offensive and hateful.   More like Reductio ad absurdum.

I thought we were engaging in some philosophical debate here.  I'm not attacking anyone's character or morals, I'm just stating the obvious that atheists make up their own morals instead of following some widely accepted moral code like say, the 10 commandments.  And that when you make up your own moral code, that's kind of like the fox guarding the moral henhouse don't you think?
But aren't the last six commandments a "moral code" that most societies, Christian or not, adhere to? Isn't this just a codification by the Jews of rules of any functioning society?  

https://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/42-principles-of-maat-2000-years-before-ten-commandments

I just googled that so I have no clue if it's BS. But it's not like stealing, thieving adultery etc are uniquely condemned by Christianity. A human society will tend to have some type of rules against murder and running off with someone's wife. If you raised a group of people from birth on an isolated island where they never heard of Christianity and you told them RonaldMcDonald was the creator, they'd come up with the some version of the last six commandments .

You have a point.  I guess where I lose it is when atheists say they have morals, what does that mean?  There is no recognized 10 commandments of athiesm.  Atheists have no guiding moral compass of any religion.  Atheists make up their own morals.  What does that mean?  Can a man make up his own moral code?  Resist the temptation to simply do what feels good?  I don't think so.  The athiest says so.  I'm done with this thread.  I'm just a redneck from the Belt belt.  I'm going away to cling to my guns and religion.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't let the door hit ya' where millions of years of evolution split ya!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I haven't followed this whole mess of a thread but Phil Robertson for President doesn't sound too bad to me...
View Quote

oh lawdy

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If everyone in one primitive valley all just act like The Joker, raping stealing and murdering, you just end up with a small bunch of lone guys. Eventually the guys in the next valley are going to develop a set of rules, whether Mormonism, Sikhism or the Boy Scout handbook. One morning the few evil serial killer rapist guys are going to look up and see the Boy Scouts from the next valley marching in to take over. the evil guys will have no idea on how to work together, the Boy Scouts will line up in a shield wall with a drummer, yell "all hail Baden Powell" and mow the evil loners down.
View Quote

http://www.amazon.com/The-Science-Good-Evil-Paperback/dp/0805077693

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reported for bad punctuation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Dude, none of the chirstians here will admit any of the atheist have anything close to morals, and  a few seemed shocked we aren't out setting fires and kicking babies like they think they would without religion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You pro choice? If so it sounds like you don't mind the killng of innocent life. Same thing as kicking babies, imo. Irony, you gots it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:10:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You pro choice? If so it sounds like you don't mind the killng of innocent life. Same thing as kicking babies, imo. Irony, you gots it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This wasn't enough of a train wreck.  We have to kick it into overdrive by trying to bring in abortion.  What's your next trick, evolution?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This wasn't enough of a train wreck.  We have to kick it into overdrive by trying to bring in abortion.  What's your next trick, evolution?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah. You're talking about having morals while believing human life is worthless. Keep talking about morals though. I enjoy having a good laugh.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Nah. You're talking about having morals while believing human life is worthless. Keep talking about morals though. I enjoy having a good laugh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am? Gosh. You're really good at reading things that don't exist.  Are you a researcher into L-Space, by chance?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:16:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I am? Gosh. You're really good at reading things that don't exist.  Are you a researcher into L-Space, by chance?
View Quote

Bless your heart.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Wtf did I just read?

Poster A: Brings abortion into the thread.

Poster B:  Doesn't say anything about abortion.

Poster A:  Assumes Poster B must favor abortion.  Then on the basis of that assumption, declares poster B thinks human life is worthless.

Poster B:  Points out that he said nothing remotely like that.

Poster A: Resorts to "bless your heart."

Rapid-fire derp.

Seriously, this could be an exchange on the Oreilley Factor.
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top