Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 296
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
and what's the breakdown with HE vice AP effectiveness?  in CB, i only used AP in BBs, against BBs, because HE seemed to work better in any other situation.  is that still the case, or is AP more useful now?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
and what's the breakdown with HE vice AP effectiveness?  in CB, i only used AP in BBs, against BBs, because HE seemed to work better in any other situation.  is that still the case, or is AP more useful now?
View Quote

(BB vs BB)  AP for side shots (The trick is to make the rounds land 80-90 degrees (near perpendicular) at the waterline near/under the smokestacks and superstructure.), HE for when they are angling.

(BB vs CA/CL)  Can use AP for just about any angle.  Aim for waterline.  You can use HE vs very low health targets (aim at superstructure above the deckline).

(BB vs DD)  You better be using HE, and you better be walking in your shots.  Don't fire a broadside and miss, or your ass is getting torped.

(CL/CA vs CL/CA)  AP vs same tier or lower tiers (USN vs IJN can pretty much use AP exclusively).  The trick is to make the rounds land 80-90 degrees (near perpendicular) at the waterline near/under the smokestacks and superstructure.

(CL/CA vs DD)  Use HE at all times.  Try to land the rounds amidships.

(CL/CA vs BB)  Until they fix HE mechanics, it's just about best to shoot HE all the way.  I have used AP with limited success on lower tier BBs.  You can permanently knock out BB main guns with AP.  Turns them into a floating AA barge.

(DD vs everything)  Pretty much HE used, but some DDs (Gremy) can use AP against any IJN cruiser and citadel it, and AP from the Gremy can also pen tier 4-5 USN cruisers.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
OBT is here.  Let the seal clubbing begin and the butthurt flow from the fresh meat.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OBT is here.  Let the seal clubbing begin and the butthurt flow from the fresh meat.
View Quote

Fires up his St. Louis and Murmansk
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want my Murmansk  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I love when people whine about how dd's torpedo range is longer than their spotted range.
They blame Wargaming because they fail to understand mechanics.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love when people whine about how dd's torpedo range is longer than their spotted range.
View Quote

I just took a Wyoming to school in my St Louis. The noobs are fun.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a dd stop within 5 kms of my Atlanta in order to fire trops, he was promptly eaten alive.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Overall, the teams have gotten worse. I just had a game where the only Tier 8 BB, the only Tier 8 in fact, declares at the start he doesn't care if he wins he just wants to chase DDs down. And that's what he did the whole game. He of course didn't kill one and was torpedoed repeatedly. We lost, big shocker.

Next game, the only 4 BBs we have in the game all go to the backside of and island and stop dead and do nothing because we "don't deserve" their skills. We lost, big shocker.

Next game, I get rammed at the beginning repeatedly by a ship one tier less than me. Of course he rams me in full view of the opfor and he claims that the side of my ship rammed his bow. He argues with me in perfect English in chat and when I presented him indisputable facts that he was a retard, he tells me he is German. The significance of that according to him, is that they have different rules than us and his ramming me means I was in his way. I should have immediately turned broadside to the opfor and returned to the spawn to make sure I didn't impede him. He says this is the proper way it is done......in Germany. We lost, big shocker.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Overall, the teams have gotten worse. I just had a game where the only Tier 8 BB, the only Tier 8 in fact, declares at the start he doesn't care if he wins he just wants to chase DDs down. And that's what he did the whole game. He of course didn't kill one and was torpedoed repeatedly. We lost, big shocker.

Next game, the only 4 BBs we have in the game all go to the backside of and island and stop dead and do nothing because we "don't deserve" their skills. We lost, big shocker.

Next game, I get rammed at the beginning repeatedly by a ship one tier less than me. Of course he rams me in full view of the opfor and he claims that the side of my ship rammed his bow. He argues with me in perfect English in chat and when I presented him indisputable facts that he was a retard, he tells me he is German. The significance of that according to him, is that they have different rules than us and his ramming me means I was in his way. I should have immediately turned broadside to the opfor and returned to the spawn to make sure I didn't impede him. He says this is the proper way it is done......in Germany. We lost, big shocker.
View Quote

Too bad maritime rules are international....
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

(BB vs BB)  ....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(BB vs BB)  ....

thank you.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I made quick work of a Arkansas Beta with my Phoenix last night.  He complained about me shooting him with HE (he ended up burning to death), and told me that if I was a real man I would have used AP and aimed for his citadel.  When I replied that it was highly unlikely that I could penetrate him consistently with AP, and thus I went for the constant HE damage, he went into one of those "yeah, but but but" back pedals.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've seen a bit of that too.  Right now if you get a team that is willing to work together, even if that means a big lemming train, it seems to improve the odds of winning tremendously.  When you get bad players like you described that just do their own thing, it most likely means a loss.

I'm typically staying back from the main push and shooting targets at the end of my range, hoping those speed grinders soak up some of the initial fire.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey all

Just want to say thank you for so enthusiastically participating in the closed beta. I know some people were angry at this or that mechanic but I tried to dutifully bundle up thing you all said good, bad or indifferent. I was very happy to see they changed the way people are alerted to torpedoes like so many of you suggested which was one big thing. The griefing system I see also has come in or at least the bones of it.

Over the time of the CBT I gave out - if I counted right- 512 keys of which the bulk went to Arfcommers or their friends and family. I hope you all got your Arkansas!

Sorry I could not be more forthcoming on a lot of questions asked but I either did not know, was under NDA or did not want to pass bad info.

I read- with some humor- about the current crop of new players flooding in without a clue... welcome to pubs! I do know more functionality, tweaking and so on are planned during the OBT before "launch" as more data and comments flood in. So hopefully it will become less frustrating overall though I am sure there will be some who will throw the monitor out the window!

But thanks again - your play and comments helped out in the grand scheme of things! See you on the ocean and feel free to not kill me on sight! :)

Blackhawk101 aka Birdie_Sparrow
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#15]
NP, Blackhawk, and thanks for the key.  I did indeed get my Arkansas, though I haven't played it yet.

And, BTW, thanks for everything else you do to support our little community here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

But thanks again - your play and comments helped out in the grand scheme of things! See you on the ocean and feel free to not kill me on sight! :)

View Quote
You play the game!?!  How am I supposed to go on the forums and rant about how OMG THE DEVS DON'T EVEN PLAY THEIR OWN GAME if you play the game?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got crushed defending our cap with 1 other cruiser and a destroyer against 7 enemy ships while the rest of our team fucked around and chased BBs in the corner.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Is the server down?

I keep getting an "Unable to locate server IP address through DNS." error message when i try and connect.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is the server down?

I keep getting an "Unable to locate server IP address through DNS." error message when i try and connect.
View Quote

works for me, hows your internet?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#20]
IDK if it's too late but would it be at all possible to get a way to change daily missions?
I use mainly American cruisers and the higher tiers don't even have torps and currently two of my three missions that I have are the surprise attack missions that require torp hits.
The only ship I have with torps is the Atlanta.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey all

Just want to say thank you for so enthusiastically participating in the closed beta. I know some people were angry at this or that mechanic but I tried to dutifully bundle up thing you all said good, bad or indifferent. I was very happy to see they changed the way people are alerted to torpedoes like so many of you suggested which was one big thing. The griefing system I see also has come in or at least the bones of it.

Over the time of the CBT I gave out - if I counted right- 512 keys of which the bulk went to Arfcommers or their friends and family. I hope you all got your Arkansas!

Sorry I could not be more forthcoming on a lot of questions asked but I either did not know, was under NDA or did not want to pass bad info.

I read- with some humor- about the current crop of new players flooding in without a clue... welcome to pubs! I do know more functionality, tweaking and so on are planned during the OBT before "launch" as more data and comments flood in. So hopefully it will become less frustrating overall though I am sure there will be some who will throw the monitor out the window!

View Quote

Thanks for all you have done.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Finally playing with a few days off. Very fun and I try not to shoot my own team, often.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey all

This times 87.  You have put up with a lot of pissing and moaning (and probably will still get more) as the game progresses.  I like the changes that have been made, and I'm sure you guys will keep working on making it even better.  

I went 5-0 tonight and decided to stop while I was ahead.  I've tried to be a little more polite in the in game chat and encourage the teams to work together, focus fire, etc.   Doesn't always work, but tonight was one of those rare nights where everything was clicking.

Also, the Kuma sucks...you guys need to buff it.     I barely broke 100k combined damage this match.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#24]
well, the minekaze isn't as OP as it used to be, due to the smoke nerfs.

but holy god that thing is still amazing!  just had my best game ever--164K, and died (last man standing) while i had 6 fish in the water.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Blackhawk, I just wanted to say that you guys knocked it out of the park with this one.  WoWS is better than I envisioned it would be.

I've been playing World of Tanks since... hell, not too long after it went open beta, and since then I've watched wargaming improve their product and listen to the fans, better than any other gaming company that I can think of.  You guys are great, and I will support your products until I'm drooling in a nursing home.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey all

View Quote

I can't thank you enough Blackhawk for all the codes and helping me with my stream I certainly wouldn't have the following or viewer base without your help! Anything I can ever do to help you out let me know!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Got accused of using the aimmod by a guy.  I took that as a compliment, seeing as there isn't one.

I didn't bother to tell him that driving the same direction and not changing speeds makes it easy to hit ships over 10km....
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#28]
My first OBT mission in the Phoenix (which is a great ship, by the way)!

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:18:39 AM EDT
[#29]
just got smoked in my destroyer right off the bat because the two fucking cruisers I was screening for decided to slow down before rounding the corner rather than keep going and providing gun fire cover while I torp.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
just got smoked in my destroyer right off the bat because the two fucking cruisers I was screening for decided to slow down before rounding the corner rather than keep going and providing gun fire cover while I torp.
View Quote

Here is my noob rant just for you Crash!  http://www.twitch.tv/journeyman1029/c/6919991 There may or may not be a Husker nod in there
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Here is my noob rant just for you Crash!  http://www.twitch.tv/journeyman1029/c/6919991 There may or may not be a Husker nod in there
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the rant were you were cussing out Crash for torpedoing you team killer style,  Myself and a couple other 2A guys were losing it in our team speak.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:49:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Seal clubbing

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:02:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Gawd.  The Hashidate is just evil.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I had a dd stop within 5 kms of my Atlanta in order to fire trops, he was promptly eaten alive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've noticed there's at least 3 to 5 ships per game that either stop or drop to 1/4 when engaged 1v1. Gotta love it. Also the amount of butthurt with Jap DDs and their torps is glorious
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've noticed there's at least 3 to 5 ships per game that either stop or drop to 1/4 when engaged 1v1. Gotta love it. Also the amount of butthurt with Jap DDs and their torps is glorious
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pulled a slick "stop and go" last night :)

I was going through a cap area, and there were two islands with a small straight in between on the other side. I knew from my friendlies' scouts that a Wyoming was coming up that channel, so I steamed straight toward it in my Minikaze and came to a full stop, hidden from him by the island. I estimated how long it would take him to appear, then hit "ahead full" and turned on my engine boost. He came into view 1.1km from my starboard side, so I launched all six torpedoes against him and turned directly toward him, as if I were going to ram him.

All six torps hit him broadside, sinking him before his secondaries even got off a shot. I got "devastating strike" and "first blood" off that kill - and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Edited: fuck I wish you had that rant that had me wanting to have your kids.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I think I can honestly say that I'm not much of a destroyer captain.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think I can honestly say that I'm not much of a destroyer captain.  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
View Quote

So far in Open Beta, neither are most of the folks playing destroyers. Every game, half of them at least will spam torps at targets that are way out of range (low-tier US DDs with 4.5-5.5km torp range shooting as soon as enemy ships are visible....13-15km out) or astronomically unlikely to actually be hit. Or shooting down the indicator line right into the island between them and their target.
Or shooting their torps right in front of friendlies, often requiring evasive maneuvers to avoid 'em.

If you're not doing any of the above 'tardation, you're better than the average, I'd say.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

your AA guns probably got knocked out
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok so I'm in my Atlanta and I see some planes come over, I had yet to face a carrier in it. This is when I notice for the first time that I no longer have the AA ability?

My aa guns didn't do a damn thing against the enemy planes and they went right by me and took out our carrier.

I'm pretty pissed off about it.
All of them?!?!

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#40]
OMG! Why are there no replays?!

I killed the last ship, 1 second before his shells hit me.

I exploded as the game ended, but we still won!

I killed the last 3 ships, after my team was all dead.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#41]
for the life of me, i cannot get 6 kills.  had several 5 kill battles yesterday, but couldn't get over the hump.  this one was the most frustrating...

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:29:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Holy CRAP Leisure--GREAT GAME!!!  You missing tanks at all?  I have watched several videos/tutorials, but just can't seem to get the hang of torps( although I refuse to fire them in front a friendly, lol)...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
All of them?!?!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok so I'm in my Atlanta and I see some planes come over, I had yet to face a carrier in it. This is when I notice for the first time that I no longer have the AA ability?
My aa guns didn't do a damn thing against the enemy planes and they went right by me and took out our carrier.

All of them?!?!  

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:36:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

It has the Hydroacoustic Search ability equipped by default.  You just need to click on it in port to switch back to the Defensive AA Fire ability.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:53:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Holy CRAP Leisure--GREAT GAME!!!  You missing tanks at all?  I have watched several videos/tutorials, but just can't seem to get the hang of torps( although I refuse to fire them in front a friendly, lol)...

View Quote
Yes. And no. I was in Vegas last week for work. I'll be on TS tomorrow.  No one was on tonight for tanks.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:11:07 AM EDT
[#46]
So is there a teamspeak server you guys use to play with each other?
I'd like to join, I'm on most nights to play and I'm not horrible at the game I promise.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

So is there a teamspeak server you guys use to play with each other?

I'd like to join, I'm on most nights to play and I'm not horrible at the game I promise.
View Quote
IM sent

You'll need to be granted permission to move to various channels once you are on the server.

What is your account name in game and on TS, if different than AR15 account?

Post here and someone should come along to move you, or poke someone on TS (it's not always very active so there may not be too many available)

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I've been playing the beta all weekend and it's addictive however the team play sucks because of the lack of VOIP support. I've gotten by in other games such as BF4 and Starcraft 2 without having to use but WoWarships just screams for it to be added.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Night of Highs and bitter disappointment

The High

The Low

I just couldn't carry anymore. Would have loved to seen how much a victory would have gotten
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Is there some sort of arf clan on World of Warships?  I wouldn't mind playing with non-tards.

Don't torp me bro.
Page / 296
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top