BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In a few countries in Europe some "serious" traffic infractions - such as speeding and DUI - result in a fine that is based on your annual income.  The logic is that the punishment thus hurts everyone equally (meaning that rich guys fear the law as much as regular folks).

Recently, an executive in Finland got a speeding ticket of about $60,000 for going about 14 mph over the limit.  

ETA: A few years ago (also in Finland), a Nokia executive got a speeding ticket of almost $100,000.
View Quote

That system probably works quite well in countries without a huge FSA population.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Since the law went into effect, over 50% of the tickets I've handled have been failure to move over.

They've outnumbered speeding by probably 1.5:1.
View Quote

So do your involved officers observe this when they're passing someone else's traffic stop?
Do they work details that concentrate on that section?
I haven't written a single one for that section.

Other guys link up and work together to write the section but that just shifts the call workload to everyone else
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Defense attorneys response:

"Ignore that man! Don't listen to him!!"
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well they do write "made admission" at the bottom of some tickets so depending on the scenario admitting something just fucks you later. Really I would say for most people just politely take the ticket and go a get a lawyer to get rid of it. I talk my way out of tickets all the time but most people probably just dig their hole deeper  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5 and 6.
Well they do write "made admission" at the bottom of some tickets so depending on the scenario admitting something just fucks you later. Really I would say for most people just politely take the ticket and go a get a lawyer to get rid of it. I talk my way out of tickets all the time but most people probably just dig their hole deeper  

A lawyer saying get a lawyer?

Cha ching!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1,353?
That's it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The traffic ticket king, who has been with the sheriff's office for 33 years, issued 1,353 traffic tickets from 2013-2014

1,353?
That's it?

No kidding.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Why do you ask the guy who writes the most tickets how to get out of a ticket?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.  I'm amazed at the number of people who don't know about this.
1. It is less expensive long term because it will usually be negotiated to a no-moving violation and not deduct points or be reported to your insurance.
2. Attorney will handle everything, there is no need for you to take off of work, go to court or to pay the fine at the DMV office.
3. It is especially useful when you get  a ticket out of state
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5 and 6.

1. It is less expensive long term because it will usually be negotiated to a no-moving violation and not deduct points or be reported to your insurance.
2. Attorney will handle everything, there is no need for you to take off of work, go to court or to pay the fine at the DMV office.

Waste of money.

People here get the same deal as if you had an attorney.

No point ticket.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Makes it more challenging, plus he can say in court if asked that he has made public pronouncements on how not to get cited but drivers still do what they do to get ticketed....

Quoted:

Waste of money.

No point ticket.

Unless you're looking at a DUI or are at risk for losing your license I wouldn't bother retaining counsel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
a cop telling people they don't need a lawyer!  

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/600x465.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5 and 6.

A lawyer saying get a lawyer?

Cha ching!

Apart from a serious MV violation, there is no need.

I always love the 'Saul Goodman' types OPRA requesting accidents to send their credentials too.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Here it depends on which ADA you talk to.

I always talk to the one that writes zero point reductions.  Regular people don't get a choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5 and 6.

Waste of money.

No point ticket.

Here it depends on which ADA you talk to.

I always talk to the one that writes zero point reductions.  Regular people don't get a choice.

Unless you fight it, there is no point in getting a lawyer here.

The amount of money you spend would far exceed the cost of the ticket,  and insurance points won't start till 3 points anyway.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I went to Syracuse University.  The cops there are real jerks.  Had my car stolen one day.  Got it back 3 days later, minus the license plate.  Parked the car on the front lawn of my rental house while I was cleaning it out (thieves left trash).  Cop came up, wrote me a ticket for having the car on my lawn, and added a second offense for not having a license plate - the license plate that was STOLEN.  I told him the car had been stolen, and I just got it back and hadn't had a chance to get new plates yet.  His response - "You can tell that to the judge".
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yet he is compensated.

You think we'd go to court for free?

My whole point is he writes all of these tickets to personally profit.  Don't let that interfere with the usual suspects though
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
DA's will fuck people over on tickets all the time. I've sat there and listened to the shitty deals some people get for tickets. I have no idea what DA's get out of that.  
View Quote

Needed experience to become a defense lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Watch out for that pitbull behind the car.
<that was for you bcauz3y>
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Watch out for that pitbull behind the car.
<that was for you bcauz3y>
I see that fucker.

Fuck pits.

Put it down.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My whole point is he writes all of these tickets to personally profit.  Don't let that interfere with the usual suspects though
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet he is compensated.

You think we'd go to court for free?

There are other opportunities for details, side gigs, etc, that pay better than tickets. (often they pay in CASH)

Don't let reality and facts get in your way, though, you're on a roll.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Step 0.5 Don't visit that area.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't do many tickets since the " $ 99 Ticketmeister!" lawyers got started around here but DA's will fuck people over on tickets all the time. I've sat there and listened to the shitty deals some people get for tickets. I have no idea what DA's get out of that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apart from a serious MV violation, there is no need.

I always love the 'Saul Goodman' types OPRA requesting accidents to send their credentials too.

I don't do many tickets since the " $ 99 Ticketmeister!" lawyers got started around here but DA's will fuck people over on tickets all the time. I've sat there and listened to the shitty deals some people get for tickets. I have no idea what DA's get out of that.  

Most Prosecutors here get paid a lump sum.

They avoid trials like the plague.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#25]

More traffic means more police: Police target areas where the traffic is heavy in an effort to prevent accidents.
View Quote

"to prevent accidents"??

You know where I see police patrolling? At the bottom of big hills with little traffic, catching people who don't ride their brakes down the entire time.  At night, hiding in a dark driveway, with absolutely NO traffic around on wide multi lane roads with no traffic.  On the freeway out in the middle of the state where you have 400 miles until your destination and nothing but open road in front of you.  

"Prevent accidents"... LOL!!!! More like "gotcha! haha!"
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Maybe 30 years ago. Most prosecutors are life long .gov tit suckers now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DA's will fuck people over on tickets all the time. I've sat there and listened to the shitty deals some people get for tickets. I have no idea what DA's get out of that.  

Needed experience to become a defense lawyer.
Maybe 30 years ago. Most prosecutors are life long .gov tit suckers now.  

You don't do any court appointed stuff?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
until  I have to get the kids from daycare
View Quote

The ultimate racket.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
At night we would set up a car in a curve in the road. Other cruisers would drive back and forth getting those that turned their headlights off or bright lighted other cars.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

At night we would set up a car in a curve in the road. Other cruisers would drive back and forth getting those that turned their headlights off or bright lighted other cars.

View Quote

To prevent accidents, right?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I told my wife we should get into polygamy but I would shoot my brains out first  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
until  I have to get the kids from daycare

The ultimate racket.
I told my wife we should get into polygamy but I would shoot my brains out first  

I know people who own several (nothing fancy) daycares that make some of the richest lawyers look like paupers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
#7 Move out of any area with a heavy handed police force who feels it is their duty to stop everyone for every infraction.

I grew up in a small town with a bored police force both city and county.  Between age 16 and 18 I was pulled over 12 times, given tickets twice.  I no longer live in an area that operates like that.

View Quote

Running across state on the Fall Line freeway in Georgia, there's a little town called Reynolds.  It's nothing but a speed trap.  Over the years I've seen them play with their speed zones to increase revenue, and they've always got a patrol car on the prowl.  

I occasionally stop in on one of the only convenience stores in the town.  After I noticed that they had put up a new 30 mph zone, making conversation, I asked the clerk why?

He said, it was because the department had their budget cut because "...there wasn't enough crime in town, so they cut their budget and had to let go 5 officers, we use to have 8 officers now we only got 3 so they decided people on the highway were going too fast. "  

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I loved the deer in the headlight look and stammering when you would ask them why they are driving with their headlights off or blinding other drivers with their highbeams.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

geez  

you know no one warns you anymore about cops, never see that these days, I guess except for Waze

I loved the deer in the headlight look and stammering when you would ask them why they are driving with their headlights off or blinding other drivers with their highbeams.

"I was just trying to warn people about your speed trap"
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You mean a salary?    

Most people take whatever shit deal the prosecutor offers them and don't threaten to go to trial over a stop sign v. a parking on the highway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or

Most Prosecutors here get paid a lump sum.

They avoid trials like the plague.
You mean a salary?    

Most people take whatever shit deal the prosecutor offers them and don't threaten to go to trial over a stop sign v. a parking on the highway.

Yes, a salary.

Why would a prosecutor want to go to trial when he can give them a no point ticket and get the same amount of money?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No, what I am saying is that prosecutors refuse to give zero point deals all the time and still aren't dragged into trials. No one up here gives a shit about trials anyway, particularly full timers. Do a traffic ticket trial or sit in the office, it's not like they are buried under work. One told me the worse part about the job was you can't just go home when there is little work to do.    

I see an "investigator" (retired cop) sittng at his desk playing games on his work computer all the time.
View Quote

You mean where you're at? I can't comment on that.

I am just talking about around here. The only time I have ever seen a trial for anything other than a DWI is where the person refuses to take a zero point ticket, and demands a trial.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No I mean where YOU'RE AT! I have been following you, didn't you hear the flutter of small, flightless wings?  

http://www.theinfantshome.org.au/site/assets/files/1256/penguin_with_cars.jpg

"Okay smartmouth, you want the minivan or the Subaru!!??"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean where you're at? I can't comment on that.

I am just talking about around here. The only time I have ever seen a trial for anything other than a DWI is where the person refuses to take a zero point ticket, and demands a trial.
No I mean where YOU'RE AT! I have been following you, didn't you hear the flutter of small, flightless wings?  

http://www.theinfantshome.org.au/site/assets/files/1256/penguin_with_cars.jpg

"Okay smartmouth, you want the minivan or the Subaru!!??"

Subaru.

I do have lesbian tendencies!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Most Deputy's could write 20 tickets if wanted. Most don't, around here anyway.

He's a prick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude cranks out twenty tickets a day, that's one serious prick. Sheriff departments usually don't give a shit about quotas either

Most Deputy's could write 20 tickets if wanted. Most don't, around here anyway.

He's a prick.

Probably - I found #5 funny - Be honest so the cop will give you sympathy, but since he gives more tickets than any other cop in the county, you'll get his sympathy AND a ticket.

I follow 5 and 6, but I've stopped being cordial when I get pulled over - I've been polite to the three cops who've pulled me over in the last three years. I was honest, non-argumentative and courteous. All three were pricks and condescending.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
geez  

you know no one warns you anymore about cops, never see that these days, I guess except for Waze
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since the law went into effect, over 50% of the tickets I've handled have been failure to move over.

They've outnumbered speeding by probably 1.5:1.

So do your officers  observe this when they're passing someone else's traffic stop?
Do they work details that concentrate on that section?
I haven't written a single one for that section.

Other guys link up and work together to write the section but that just shifts the call workload to everyone else
I see that trick here, one car pulls someone over and two more cars wait around nearby to write move over tickets. Suburban cops, they aren't doing shit anyways.  

geez  

I do it.  Constitutionally protected free speech.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wrote so many tickets he broke his arm!  
View Quote

Afraid he was going to be replaced.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top