Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

.....traffic enforcement in Missouri....

View Quote
However you want to spin it, it still doesn't apply to most departments. Hell, your evidence doesn't even apply to most departments in your state.

Which is my claim.

I couldn't give less fucks about traffic cops in MO.

We have 49 other states.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The correct answer to "do you know how fast you were going" is "yes officer."  Not "10 miles over" and admitting breaking the law or"no" which makes it difficult to argue in court that you weren't speeding.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The correct answer to "do you know how fast you were going" is "yes officer."  Not "10 miles over" and admitting breaking the law or"no" which makes it difficult to argue in court that you weren't speeding.
View Quote

I never once asked that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
And how do you make people obey them without monetary pain?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude cranks out twenty tickets a day, that's one serious prick. Sheriff departments usually don't give a shit about quotas either

Most Deputy's could write 20 tickets if wanted. Most don't, around here anyway.

He's a prick.

This is the part I never understand.

His job is to enforce traffic laws.  Looks like he is doing his job.

Why do you guys call him a "prick"?

I feel that traffic laws are there for safety, not revenue generation.

And how do you make people obey them without monetary pain?

Flogging.

The "revenue generation" argument would go away if the fines were all paid to the State's general fund, and not the local governments.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I firmily believe that you can teach a squirrel monkey to run radar and write traffic tickets, I can say that because i would run radar on slow nights and unless they were other circumstances they better be going like 20 over. I just wish people in Florida  would drive like they actually knew what the fok was going on around them . if you stat hunt you just stop everybody speeding from  like 6 over and all you get is a warning or a day off in court. If you wait for the guy who is driving with no lights on, the wrong way on the highway, dragging shopping carts. Then you can say you prevented carnage of some sort.  I got pulled over like  15 times in my town growing up for the same little shit things that are mentioned here and i really didnt like them and didnt want to be one..  Once I became one i learned that i  did not have to be the one that would write his own grandmother...... even if i did check yes in the entrance exam.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I firmily believe that you can teach a squirrel monkey to run radar and write traffic tickets
, I can say that because i would run radar on slow nights and unless they were other circumstances they better be going like 20 over. I just wish people in Florida  would drive like they actually knew what the fok was going on around them . if you stat hunt you just stop everybody speeding from  like 6 over and all you get is a warning or a day off in court. If you wait for the guy who is driving with no lights on, the wrong way on the highway, dragging shopping carts. Then you can say you prevented carnage of some sort.  I got pulled over like  15 times in my town growing up for the same little shit things that are mentioned here and i really didnt like them and didnt want to be one..  Once I became one i learned that i  did not have to be the one that would write his own grandmother...... even if i did check yes in the entrance exam.
View Quote

For sure. There are little boxes in some places that do it automatically.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wrote more than this guy when I was in traffic and got zero OT for it. Court was all straight time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you guys don't think he is only doing this to fatten his own pockets with overtime you are smoking something.

Not all cops get OT for traffic court. Only the midnight shift guys got OT for it where I worked. The traffic guys all worked day shift.

In your judgement, do you think this guy writing this amount of tickets is going to court without compensation?

I wrote more than this guy when I was in traffic and got zero OT for it. Court was all straight time.

Yet he is compensated.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yet he is compensated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you guys don't think he is only doing this to fatten his own pockets with overtime you are smoking something.

Not all cops get OT for traffic court. Only the midnight shift guys got OT for it where I worked. The traffic guys all worked day shift.

In your judgement, do you think this guy writing this amount of tickets is going to court without compensation?

Yet he is compensated.

Yeah, and?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yet he is compensated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet he is compensated.

Why should he not? He is operating in a police capacity fulfilling duties that come during his off days.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yet he is compensated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet he is compensated.

You think we'd go to court for free?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet he is compensated.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#20]
deleted

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thought it was going to a "Respect my Authoritah" type post.  Decent advice instead.

Still, in on one.
View Quote

That is impossible.  All police are "respect mah authority" types...I've been told this time and again...this is a fake video.  

ALL cops just want to shoot your dag and take your legally carried firearm....
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Other guys rotate to areas like the airport or SRO's for the last three years so they don't have pending court cases after retirement.
View Quote

We didn't do that. There were a lot of happy motorists when I retired.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
3. More traffic means more police: Police target areas where the traffic is heavy in an effort to prevent accidents.

We actually did just this.  One specific area, traffic is now slower (closer to speed limit) and much fewer red light vios because of the flood of officers in the area.  Accident rate there dropped 30%.  Not some fable...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#24]
A guy I went to school with reported that his town simply disbanded their entire police department when they started pulling shit like that.

The general consensus of the small town is that they are better off without them. They now use the State Police if they have anything serious to deal with.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't want to sound like a know it all Aimless but as to the suggestions...............well DUH!!

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We actually did just this.  One specific area, traffic is now slower (closer to speed limit) and much fewer red light vios because of the flood of officers in the area.  Accident rate there dropped 30%.  Not some fable...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3. More traffic means more police: Police target areas where the traffic is heavy in an effort to prevent accidents.

I wrote thousands of tickets at the same "Accident Prone Location" set by the department month after month. Accidents didn't go down at all.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I firmily believe that you can teach a squirrel monkey to run radar and write traffic tickets, I can say that because i would run radar on slow nights and unless they were other circumstances they better be going like 20 over. I just wish people in Florida  would drive like they actually knew what the fok was going on around them . if you stat hunt you just stop everybody speeding from  like 6 over and all you get is a warning or a day off in court. If you wait for the guy who is driving with no lights on, the wrong way on the highway, dragging shopping carts. Then you can say you prevented carnage of some sort.  I got pulled over like  15 times in my town growing up for the same little shit things that are mentioned here and i really didnt like them and didnt want to be one..  Once I became one i learned that i  did not have to be the one that would write his own grandmother...... even if i did check yes in the entrance exam.
View Quote

but but but da law is da law!

Good job.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wrote thousands of tickets at the same "Accident Prone Location" set by the department month after month. Accidents didn't go down at all.
View Quote

Hotel districts don't count.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Geez, I think I barely cracked double digits last year.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Obey the speed limit.

Obey traffic control devices.

Keep your vehicle in good shape.

View Quote

Actually that's about it....or should be.

The average officer has enough common sense to know what to do. The problem comes when the city fathers decide to turn the local department into revenue generators.

Occasionally a CLEO will start ordering cops to write up a bunch of tickets to prove to the city fathers that the force is keeping everyone safe or that they can pay for themselves or whatever he's trying to do to build his empire.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I never asked it even once.  If I didn't KNOW exactly how fast they were going, I wouldn't have stopped them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never once asked that.
They do it upstate somewhat regularly.  

I never asked it even once.  If I didn't KNOW exactly how fast they were going, I wouldn't have stopped them.

The only thing are judges cared about was what the radar said.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The average officer has enough common sense to know what to do. The problem comes when the city fathers decide to turn the local department into revenue generators.

Occasionally a CLEO will start ordering cops to write up a bunch of tickets to prove to the city fathers that the force is keeping everyone safe or that they can pay for themselves or whatever he's trying to do to build his empire.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obey the speed limit.

Obey traffic control devices.

Keep your vehicle in good shape.

You're in PA right?  We get a whole $12.50 out of your standard $128.50 traffic citation. That's if the person pleads guilty or is found guilty in court. For an average 5mph over speeding ticket (what most get reduced to at court) we get $17.50. All the rest goes to costs, courts, the state etc. And that's after the pay me 3 hours OT to go to traffic court. Even if I have 20 cases in one day and they're all found guilty they are just barely making money, sometimes breaking even, but usually it's a negative sum. Traffic tags are not the huge revenue generator GD claims them to be, at least not in Pennsylvania.

And let's just break this down average wise and give myself a 100% conviction rate, which never happens:

Say I have 20 cases spread out over two court days. Let's say 19 are for speeding (being generous) and 1 is a suspended driver (being generous)  

For two traffic court days I make $291 total.

Say I give each speeder 5 over deals with no points, which I usually do. That's 17.50×19=332.50

The suspended driver is fou d guilty with a $100 fine to the township.

That's $432.50 I "generated" the township, minus what I get paid equals $141.50 in revenue for 20 citations. And that's a generous average. If I used my actual stats for a month of citations which include less speeders and more general citations, lack of getting any money from suspended drivers, etc I'm sure they're only breaking even if not losing money.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Around here, provided you're not in a school zone or a construction area, you are safe doing 9 MPH over with pretty much every PD (state, county, and local) except for one village police department.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The entire list is pure common sense, at least it seems that way to me.
Drive fast, get tickets, drive slow, don't get tickets.

It really is just that simple.

Around here, provided you're not in a school zone or a construction area, you are safe doing 9 MPH over with pretty much every PD (state, county, and local) except for one village police department.

At radar training we were told to give 15 mph over minimum before stopping someone.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#39]
he needs more donuts
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

From the large, 2-part St. Louis Post Dispatch expose on bad cops and bad policing titled "Bad Cops Bounce From City to City"
Most of these guys were ACE ticket writers for the municipalities they worked for. . .

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/ea/3ea55687-6141-5e2b-a078-92e4c4786957/54137a06b853e.preview-620.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In conclusion, it is our experience here that traffic agents in uniform are usually the dregs of law enforcement in the department, and all too often, are themselves one step ahead of an internal affairs investigation or lawsuit.

Nah, it's usually narco guys.

From the large, 2-part St. Louis Post Dispatch expose on bad cops and bad policing titled "Bad Cops Bounce From City to City"
Most of these guys were ACE ticket writers for the municipalities they worked for. . .

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/ea/3ea55687-6141-5e2b-a078-92e4c4786957/54137a06b853e.preview-620.jpg

Shit like that always leaves me scratching my head. For all the shit NY LEOs get, if you get bounced from a department in NY, your LE career is done.

(Then again, a lot of the departments in NY pay pretty well, with good benefits, so there's no shortage of qualified applicants. No reason to roll the dice on someone "iffy.")

Quoted:
Quoted:
Other guys rotate to areas like the airport or SRO's for the last three years so they don't have pending court cases after retirement.

I'll bet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's an admission, they put it in the supporting affidavit, or in the old days they would write "admitted travelling XX mph" on the bottom of the ticket  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing are judges cared about was what the radar said.

Yep.

And why even ask?  It would be like asking, "Have you been drinking?"

It's an admission, they put it in the supporting affidavit, or in the old days they would write "admitted travelling XX mph" on the bottom of the ticket  

Why you would admit guilt in that situation is beyond me. For Christ's sake, it says on many insurance cards, "In case of an accident - Don't admit fault."
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#48]
He likes those Failure to move over and cell phone sections
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had one light here in town where people were running it regularly.  It was due to the light being so short.  Like 3 seconds.  There were all kinds of accidents.  Instead of fixing the light they assigned officers to ticket red light violators.  Did not have any effect on the accident rate.  Only when they fixed the light to a reasonable time (ding ding!) did the accidents suddenly disappear.  

Alot of stupidty on the city's part.  True common sense was lacking.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top