BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have always questioned if we are just an infinitesimal segment  of an electron in a very much larger atom.
View Quote

Perhaps we are in some sort of mathematically driven chemical or elemental computer or other contained system?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm still amazed that people can honestly think that complex things such as the earth and humans just appeared out of thin air

Believe what you want but to think that we didn't have a creator is willfully ignorant. .
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm still amazed that people can honestly think that complex things such as the earth and humans just appeared out of thin air

Believe what you want but to think that we didn't have a creator is willfully ignorant. .
View Quote

I think the side with mountains of data and observations to support is a much less ignorant belief than the Earth being created in 7 days or any of that stuff.

You guys have no leg to stand on, trying to argue religion over science. It's like a ant picking a fight with a elephant.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anybody really think that the entire universe, consisting of trillions of galaxies, was once the size a atom and that it created itself out of nothing and just decided to expand into the universe we know one day?  It did all these things in contradiction to the Laws of Physics as we know them.

Because if you believe in the Big Bang that is what you believe. You essentially believe in magic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Universe is truly enormous, and yet it's only a part of the tree of Yggdrasil.
View Quote

The roots of Yggdrasil are unending and without limit, beyond all understanding, even the knowledge of the Allfather. Ginnungagap as the beginning of everything is a falsehood.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#6]
In the beginning was the word and the word was with God, and the word was God. He was with God in the beginning.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
  I think the side with mountains of data and observations to support is a much less ignorant belief than the Earth being created in 7 days or any of that stuff.
You guys have no leg to stand on, trying to argue religion over science. It's like a ant picking a fight with a elephant.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Religion The belief in the existence of a higher power and science aren't mutually exclusive, especially when you consider one as the source of the other.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
According to many in the scientific community it is absolute FACT and is stated as such and you know that to be true. Is that how it should be presented, absolutely not but you can't grub money from the govt and attempt to control the public by telling them that ''global change'' is merely theoretical and really, all their modelling hasn't even come close what they have actually been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do it every day on global warming/climate change/etc. It's just a VERY poor theory and yet, it's accepted as absolute  fact by thousands of those in the scientific community that should know better. They have been pushing the BB theory for quite some time now.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

A "well supported theory", or even "a theory that you personally accept" is allot different than "absolute fact" when it comes to science.

In fact, "absolute fact" is a not present in science, because absolute certainty is a myth.

Also, theories don't become facts, they explain facts.

According to many in the scientific community it is absolute FACT and is stated as such and you know that to be true. Is that how it should be presented, absolutely not but you can't grub money from the govt and attempt to control the public by telling them that ''global change'' is merely theoretical and really, all their modelling hasn't even come close what they have actually been.
Well, I think you are just confused about what 'absolute fact' means.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

In the beginning was the word and the word was with God, and the word was God. He was with God in the beginning.
View Quote
In the beginning there were only 6 beings: The first man, the first woman, salt woman, fire god, coyote, and Begochiddy.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Perhaps we are in some sort of mathematically driven chemical or elemental computer or other contained system?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have always questioned if we are just an infinitesimal segment  of an electron in a very much larger atom.

Sounds like a basis of a movie series.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do it every day on global warming/climate change/etc. It's just a VERY poor theory and yet, it's accepted as absolute  fact by thousands of those in the scientific community that should know better. They have been pushing the BB theory for quite some time now.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

A "well supported theory", or even "a theory that you personally accept" is allot different than "absolute fact" when it comes to science.

In fact, "absolute fact" is a not present in science, because absolute certainty is a myth.

Also, theories don't become facts, they explain facts.

I'm not confused, either they are or they are liars of the first order to grub money from the govt and the community at large. [or both]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The roots of Yggdrasil are unending and without limit, beyond all understanding, even the knowledge of the Allfather. Ginnungagap as the beginning of everything is a falsehood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Universe is truly enormous, and yet it's only a part of the tree of Yggdrasil.

shut up about that one eyed character will you? what has he done recently? how did he get so famous just for  hanging around upside down?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm not confused, either they are or they are liars of the first order to grub money from the govt and the community at large. [or both]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you please cite where someone said a scientific theory is "an absolute fact"?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Every scientific theory about the beginning of the universe is just that, a theory, nothing more, nothing less.
View Quote

The big bang theory as an explanation for the origin of the universe is not terribly convincing from a logical perspective.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

shut up about that one eyed character will you? what has he done recently? how did he get so famous just for  hanging around upside down?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He got a day of the week named after him.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We did this one already. As usual the claims made by articles aren't the same as in the papers.

all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Eternal return?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And gave us the coolest alphabet ever.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but it is not the one we use
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the better. Have you ever met an asshole that can read futhark? It's like a club for non-assholes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The big bang theory as an explanation for the origin of the universe is not terribly convincing from a logical perspective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Every scientific theory about the beginning of the universe is just that, a theory, nothing more, nothing less.

Especially considering that the big bang theory itself doesn't describe the origin of the universe, just the expansion on the universe.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I think some are getting way to hung up on this.

I'm smart enough to know that I don't know for 100% certain and neither does anyone else....
It could have always been, God could have created it "Complete" (and without evidence of a beginning), Etc.

As a Christian I take some things on Faith, even those who do not believe have to take their beliefs on Faith.

I have a number of my own ideas and theories that stem from my understanding of Quantum Mechanics.
As I see it God is either outside the Universe, or in every bit of it and in in every time (the latter makes a bit more sense).

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Man will always seek a greater understanding of the natural world.  Most of the important questions about the nature of, "all that is,"  will remain unanswered, it seems.  What if our reality as a human experience is only our species illusions about the true nature of reality?  Based on what science currently knows and what seems probable based on what is known it seems likely there is an underlying true reality that we can never see or understand in our limited time on earth in the form in which we exist.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I think some are getting way to hung up on this.

I'm smart enough to know that I don't know for 100% certain and neither does anyone else....

It could have always been, God could have created it "Complete" (and without evidence of a beginning), Etc.

As a Christian I take some things on Faith, even those who do not believe have to take their beliefs on Faith.
I have a number of my own ideas and theories that stem from my understanding of Quantum Mechanics.

As I see it God is either outside the Universe, or in every bit of it and in in every time (the latter makes a bit more sense).

View Quote
God would have to exist in more than our three or four dimensions.

Thoughts on this line of reason?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Especially considering that the big bang theory itself doesn't describe the origin of the universe, just the expansion on the universe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not terribly convincing as a theory for the current state of the universe either.

ETA:  Defenders of the current orthodoxy love to do what you just did. The pattern is something like this:

Skeptic:  I'm not sure about this theory because it dovetails rather poorly with this observable fact.

Defender:  The theory doesn't address that fact!

Skeptic:  To the discredit of the theory...

Defender:  You fail to understand the theory.

Skeptic:  The theory fails to impress.

Defender:  You fail to impress!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Didn't read it but the steady state theory is nothing new. Getting scientific information from a writer is like asking a gas station attendant about oil drilling.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-deflated-universe-may-had-no-beginning-140017504.html

If a new theory turns out to be true, the universe may not have started with a bang.

View Quote

In the new formulation, the universe was never a singularity, or an infinitely small and infinitely dense point of matter. In fact, the universe may have no beginning at all.

"Our theory suggests that the age of the universe could be infinite," said study co-author Saurya Das, a theoretical physicist at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada.

The new concept could also explain what dark matter — the mysterious, invisible substance that makes up most of the matter in the universe — is actually made of, Das added.

View Quote

I have been saying this for a long long time, and im an Atheist.  the Big Bang has been like a science religion for too long.  It far more compelling to simply understand that the universe exists and has always existed.. and theists are like "woah, but it had to be created" and then you say "so where did God come from" and they're like "but he always existed".. yeah.. Im sticking with universe always existed...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He didn't say that.

His point is that you shouldn't be overly convinced of your own intellect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The arrogance of man to think that he actually knows anything at all other than that he is wearing pants...is superbly astounding.

So never at any point try?
I hate posts like this.

He didn't say that.

Umm yes he did.
How else is one supposed to learn anything new if one goes around thinking his intellectual foundation is made of pillars of salt?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
--- Snip ---

I have been saying this for a long long time, and im an Atheist.  the Big Bang has been like a science religion for too long.  It far more compelling to simply understand that the universe exists and has always existed.. and theists are like "woah, but it had to be created" and then you say "so where did God come from" and they're like "but he always existed".. yeah.. Im sticking with universe always existed...
View Quote

I think the real problem is some have too much pride to simply say "I Don't Know" (and nobody really does).

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think the real problem is some have too much pride to simply say "I Don't Know" (and nobody really does).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
--- Snip ---

So give up?
Its those types of people that keep the ball rolling.

Protip: Humans learn more from failure than they do a quick success.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Umm yes he did.

How else is one supposed to learn anything new if one goes around thinking his intellectual foundation is made of pillars of salt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The arrogance of man to think that he actually knows anything at all other than that he is wearing pants...is superbly astounding.

I hate posts like this.

He didn't say that.

Umm yes he did.

Your argument is with the implications of his statement in your own mind, not with what was actually said.

For what it's worth we should continue to explore our universe scientifically regardless of metaphysical beliefs.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Your argument is with the implications of his statement in your own mind, not with what was actually said.

For what it's worth we should continue to explore our universe scientifically regardless of metaphysical beliefs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate posts like this.

He didn't say that.

Umm yes he did.

Than please break his metaphor down for me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He didn't say that.

Umm yes he did.

I thought I already did.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, screw things like vaccines, antibiotics and all that sciency stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Readin' is for fags!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd suggest reading more to learn exactly what we do know and how we know it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Interesting how a religious thread gets locked much faster when scientific arguments are made, but a scientific thread remains open after being flooded with religious arguments.
View Quote

You know its almost like there is a dedicated mythology forum now for those posts...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I Am
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#40]
The ignorance of the understanding of the Big Bang in this thread is both sad and disturbing. I wonder whether this is a product of poor science teachers or poor understanding by those trying to learn.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't understand how people don't get this. If they actually understood the theories that they themselves merely parrot, they would realize not one scientist claims to know jack shit about the origin of the universe. If he or she did they would be the laughing-stock of the scientific community. Same thing applies to deists and religious folk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand how people don't get this. If they actually understood the theories that they themselves merely parrot, they would realize not one scientist claims to know jack shit about the origin of the universe. If he or she did they would be the laughing-stock of the scientific community. Same thing applies to deists and religious folk.

That's the whole point of science.  You look at the data and come up w/ a theory that explains it.  Then you test your theory to see if it's valid w/ the data you have and can accumulate.  If it doesn't work, you either change it or dump it entirely.   IMO that's the whole point w/ the global warming "theory" we're being force fed.  It's not presented as science. It's religion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I Am
View Quote

Written in every man's heart.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

The ignorance of the understanding of the Big Bang in this thread is both sad and disturbing. I wonder whether this is a product of poor science teachers or poor understanding by those trying to learn.
View Quote

People clinging to ignorance, because they view science as a threat to religion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some of us have a detailed understanding of the present theory. We just aren't pretentious assholes set on declaring ourselves smart.

As someone who accepts the current mainstream theories as reasonably sound based on currently observed evidence, allow me to apologize for the autistic neckbeards bashing those who disagree with their perspective.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I know that you think that is a fact, but I and other Christians most certainly do not "view science as a threat to religion".

Nothing is a threat to my religion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People clinging to ignorance, because they view science as a threat to religion.

I know that you think that is a fact, but I and other Christians most certainly do not "view science as a threat to religion".

Nothing is a threat to my religion.

You guys come into these threads and preach really hard about how dumb scientists are and how smart you are for believing every word within a 3,000 year old book.

This thread had nothing to do with religion. And yet, people came in and wanted to dispute science with religion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Let me see if I can understand the Big Bang.

Once upon a time the universe was the size of a head of a pin.  All the trillions of galaxies and trillions of stars that we observe today were compressed to the size of an atom or something.  That really makes sense, doesn't it?  Nobody has a clue where that little atom size universe came from but it was just hanging around.  

Then all of a sudden that atom size universe exploded into the enormous universe we observe today.  Nobody knows what cased the explosion but hey, what the heck, why let things like that get in the way of a prosperous theory?

Our proof for this magical theory is some kind of background radiation and what seems to be the fact that the universe seems to be expanding outward, otherwise we don't have too much to go on.

Thanks a lot for the magic theory but I'll go with intelligent design.  It is more logical.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Readin' is for fags!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Readin' is for fags!
Strawmen are perfectly fine. however.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's only a model.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-deflated-universe-may-had-no-beginning-140017504.html

If a new theory turns out to be true, the universe may not have started with a bang.

View Quote

In the new formulation, the universe was never a singularity, or an infinitely small and infinitely dense point of matter. In fact, the universe may have no beginning at all.

"Our theory suggests that the age of the universe could be infinite," said study co-author Saurya Das, a theoretical physicist at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada.

The new concept could also explain what dark matter — the mysterious, invisible substance that makes up most of the matter in the universe — is actually made of, Das added.

View Quote

My feeble brain hurts when I try to comprehend that something has always been in existence with no beginning.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top