View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An Open Carry Texas member vs a cop that trashes the constitution in front on a camera.

When idiots collide.

Why do you look down on people abiding by the law?

I don't look down on people abiding by the law. I look down on people claiming they are trying to promote gun rights when their actions have the opposite effect.

Does there exist any scenario whereby you'd be OK with people walking about minding their own business with an AR slung on their body?

Are you OK with it as long as people hand over ID every time a cop ask for it when they are carrying?  If so are  you OK with cops stopping cars just for the hell of it to check ID?

So which one are you?

http://plnami.blob.core.windows.net/media/2014/05/Moms-Demand-open-carry-slobs-2.jpg

HA!!!  FOC.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTL
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

HA!!!  FOC.

View Quote

FOC?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Fire him.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New York........coming to a free state near you

......at least you got that humor
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:39:17 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys must be watching a different video than I am. The "constitutional crap" comment seems to reflect this open carrier's attitude, not the officer's feelings about our Constitution.

According to the video (yes, I watched the whole thing) several people had called in on the man with a gun, including a family that approached the officer as he was waiting for another car on this call. HPD can't just blow off a man with a gun call.

Contact is obviously made at the beginning of the video. The officer does say he is not detaining this individual, at which point this guy takes off at a faster than normal pace. The officer can't just let that go, otherwise every little gang banger is going to do the same thing.

Why would it have been so difficult for the open carrier to have had a brief conversation with the officer? Courtesy is a two way street. Did you notice the officer INTENTIONALLY kept the video recorder running? Doesn't look to me like he was trying to make this open carrier's life hell, just trying to make sure the law is satisfied and not arrest someone that didn't need to be arrested.

The officer did a good job with someone that seems to be out to intentionally cause a conflict.

This open carrier may not have violated the law, but he didn't show any common decency either.

"An armed society is a polite society." - Then be POLITE and don't scurry away and act like a douche bag.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:37:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll never understand the whole "it's being investigated" part. If it's all on video what is there to investigate.
View Quote

Time for the legal weasels to work out the best way to shitcan him so he can't sue them back?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys must be watching a different video than I am. The "constitutional crap" comment seems to reflect this open carrier's attitude, not the officer's feelings about our Constitution.

According to the video (yes, I watched the whole thing) several people had called in on the man with a gun, including a family that approached the officer as he was waiting for another car on this call. HPD can't just blow off a man with a gun call.

Contact is obviously made at the beginning of the video. The officer does say he is not detaining this individual, at which point this guy takes off at a faster than normal pace. The officer can't just let that go, otherwise every little gang banger is going to do the same thing.

Why would it have been so difficult for the open carrier to have had a brief conversation with the officer? Courtesy is a two way street. Did you notice the officer INTENTIONALLY kept the video recorder running? Doesn't look to me like he was trying to make this open carrier's life hell, just trying to make sure the law is satisfied and not arrest someone that didn't need to be arrested.

The officer did a good job with someone that seems to be out to intentionally cause a conflict.

This open carrier may not have violated the law, but he didn't show any common decency either.

"An armed society is a polite society." - Then be POLITE and don't scurry away and act like a douche bag.
View Quote

Yeah, the cop never once said anything bad about the constitution.  He said, "You can try this constitutional crap all you want", referring to the answer he got from the OCT douche.  (Sorry, if a dude walks down the street with an AR while wearing a dress and deck shoes, he's a douche.)  If you go out looking for a confrontation with the police, you will likely find it.  He got what he wanted.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't look down on people abiding by the law. I look down on people claiming they are trying to promote gun rights when their actions have the opposite effect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

An Open Carry Texas member vs a cop that trashes the constitution in front on a camera.

When idiots collide.

"I support the 2nd Amendment (or OC) but......."

Where have I heard that before?

You don't like people who are a) following the law, b) fellow gun owners and c) are OCing the only type of gun legal to OC in the state.  So what makes you any different than gun banners who hate gun owners?

How do you know his actions are the opposite of promoting gun rights?  Just because OC scares you and/or you hate it?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#10]
<Attack removed.  As this is your third incident of posting personal attacks, banned from the site.  --tbk1>

A right not exercised is a right lost.

If you are told "your not under arrest and not being detained" then you are free to go about your business. Mr. Popo was clearly butthurt that John Q Citizen knew his rights and was smart about how he dealt with a bad officer.

Good Investigation.
Hoping for a Good Employment Termination
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You don't like people who are a) following the law, b) fellow gun owners and c) are OCing the only type of gun legal to OC in the state.  So what makes you any different than gun banners who hate gun owners?

How do you know his actions are the opposite of promoting gun rights?  Just because OC scares you and/or you hate it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
C'mon man.  You and everybody else here knows that OCT is universally hated.  Only reason the dogpile hasn't started yet is because the dipshit cop trashed the Constitution.

At this point most people know that OCT members are either idiots or liberal plants.

Pretty much the only people that defend OCT are their own members and those that incorrectly think that people that bash them are bashing open carry in general.

Case in point.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What do possums have to do with this thread?
View All Quotes

You obviously don't know a raccoon when you see one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wasn't aware it was the job of the police to go around making sure people weren't felons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"Do you have ID on you," the officer asked in the video. "No. So, how am I supposed to know whether or not you're a felon?"

I wasn't aware it was the job of the police to go around making sure people weren't felons.

Coming to a town near you!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#14]
YeeHaw, the master baiters got another one banned.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good.

Fire him.
View Quote

I doubt it - HPD Chief is anti-gun
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well stated. I'm glad that there are people working to expand gun rights for all but there have been way too many publicized incidents of the open carry people being less than friendly with LEOs for no reason. The police are accused (among other things) of failing to give citizens the benefit of the doubt but the open carriers like the guy in the video are every bit as guilty. Why did he not notify the police ahead of time so they would know what was going on *before* the calls started coming in? True he was not obligated to do so but it could have avoided a lot of BS for all.

I only watched the short video but based on that I would definitely give the officer the benefit of the doubt, and agree that the officer's comment about Constitutional crap was pointing out that the OCT guy was using the Constitution as a smokescreen to mask his real motivation which seemed to be that he was seeking confrontation with police.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

When the officer says he's not being detained, that means it's a consensual contact.  At that point the OC'er was under no obligation to stay and chat, and I can't really blame him for walking away.  I'm not sure why you think that the officer "can't let that go", seeing as how he had no basis for the stop in the first place (if he had, the officer would not have told him he wasn't being detained).  People calling about a guy walking with a slung rifle doesn't create RS to stop him or PC to arrest - it can't, simply because the activity being reported is not illegal.  

As far as having a consensual conversation with the police, that's pretty much never a good idea.  There's absolutely no reason to help the cops with their fishing expedition just because you're a nice guy.  IMO, the OC'er did what was in his best interests - he kept his mouth shut, followed instructions, and didn't give in to the pressure to produce his papers.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When the officer says he's not being detained, that means it's a consensual contact.  At that point the OC'er was under no obligation to stay and chat, and I can't really blame him for walking away.  I'm not sure why you think that the officer "can't let that go", seeing as how he had no basis for the stop in the first place (if he had, the officer would not have told him he wasn't being detained).  People calling about a guy walking with a slung rifle doesn't create RS to stop him or PC to arrest - it can't, simply because the activity being reported is not illegal.  

As far as having a consensual conversation with the police, that's pretty much never a good idea.  There's absolutely no reason to help the cops with their fishing expedition just because you're a nice guy.  IMO, the OC'er did what was in his best interests - he kept his mouth shut, followed instructions, and didn't give in to the pressure to produce his papers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

C'mon bro, who cares if the guy was free to go on his way, he should've wanted to stay and chat with cops and offer up his papers.

Can't have too much freedom, that shits dangerous!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
"Do you have ID on you," the officer asked in the video. "No. So, how am I supposed to know whether or not you're a felon?"

It's not. There's a 4th Circuit case that deals with this exact issue - cops in Charlotte, NC detained someone who was OCing but otherwise doing nothing illegal under the guise that "he could/might be a felon." Court slapped their dicks pretty hard on that one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why would it have been so difficult for the open carrier to have had a brief conversation with the officer? Courtesy is a two way street.
View Quote

Guy had no obligation to have a conversation with the cop in the first place. Even if he WAS detained. Which he wasn't.

Or be "courteous" to him. Or walk away at a pace you deem to be reasonable.

Yes, HPD can "blow off" a "man with a gun" call. Unless there is some information that the "man with a gun" is doing something illegal, then no police response is warranted in the first place. If "something bad happens,"  HPD isn't liable. Sovereign immunity.

Also, why can't the officer "just let that go?" The guy wasn't being detained and wasn't suspected of any crime.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
All of them.

Pick them all up.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good.

Fire him.
View Quote

FPNI

/Thread
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All of them.  

Pick them all up.

View All Quotes

NO.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The officer is legally obliged to let that go even for shitheel gangbangers unless he has a reasonable and articulable cause to believe that a crime has been committed and that the person to be detained has committed it.  Cop could have walked with Mr. Open Carry and kept up his patter the whole time without once needing reasonable suspicion or detaining him. The moment that he stopped dude is the moment that he needed RS to justify his stop. Since when is a legal activity a reasonable indicator of a crime?

The open carrier has no legal obligation to show any common decency to a cop any more than he does to a beggar or a thief. Any courtesy shown to a cop is just that, a courtesy.

In an armed polite society, one does not use the violence inherent in the system to impose one's will on another simply because they won't talk pretty with you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope the cop is alright but I don't think he's in trouble.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

NO.
View Quote

Well, okay then. Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I hope the cop is alright but I don't think he's in trouble.
View Quote

You posted a thread this morning sticking up for the police officer when in reality he was not abiding by the law.  I realize that you are against all the people carrying and this would be a good opportunity to call the guy who was open carrying a douche but unless he was breaking the law, the officer should have just driven by or sat in his car and monitored the individual.

I am not a big fan of open carrying rifles, and the guys who are doing it are looking for attention/trouble, but when they get harrassed, the police are the ones breaking the law.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Updated with Full Video (see original post)
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#34]
LoL, everyone agrees that talking to a cop while you're under arrest is a dumb idea, but heaven forbid you don't talk to him when you're not under arrest, cause that makes you guilty, of something.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

LoL, everyone agrees that talking to a cop while you're under arrest is a dumb idea, but heaven forbid you don't talk to him when you're not under arrest, cause that makes you guilty, of something.
View Quote
Cop was wrong period. No if ands or buts...

Not being detained means free to go, but wait stop and talk.......nope don't have to.

But a call was made about bad man with a GUN! So what? Man was commiting no crime, nor was a a crime reported.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:20:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Oh the horror.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You posted a thread this morning sticking up for the police officer when in reality he was not abiding by the law.  I realize that you are against all the people carrying
View Quote

Yes, that MUST be it.  If I don't agree with your ideas on carry, I'm against ALL carry.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes, that MUST be it.  If I don't agree with your ideas on carry, I'm against ALL carry.

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/480/91b/0ea/resized/dramallama-meme-generator-drama-llama-pops-in-96a689.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You posted a thread this morning sticking up for the police officer when in reality he was not abiding by the law.  I realize that you are against all the people carrying

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/480/91b/0ea/resized/dramallama-meme-generator-drama-llama-pops-in-96a689.jpg

LOL, just got called on your bullshit, and you respond with... more bullshit!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got called on nothing.  He's being roughly as dramatic as my four year old daughter.

Tell me, O Great Open Carry Warrior.  Do you advocate for OC outside of ARF or are you just an online warrior?  Surely we must have seen you walking the walk in one of these videos from Texas, no?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

SOMEONE isn't doing their job....
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I got called on nothing.  He's being roughly as dramatic as my four year old daughter.

Tell me, O Great Open Carry Warrior.  Do you advocate for OC outside of ARF or are you just an online warrior?  Surely we must have seen you walking the walk in one of these videos from Texas, no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah you did!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah you did!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah you did!

So you don't attend the Texas OC rallies?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#43]
If we just banned guns we wouldn't have this problem.

Cops don't like Liberty.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The Open Carry idiot made me shake my head.....Texans like it or not these are the guys that everyone thinks of when they think of the Open Carry movement.......I'm not defending the cop but the OCT guy made it a lot worse then it had to be.
View Quote

They should be thinking about the lawmakers that won't let them exercise their Right.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
An Open Carry Texas member vs a cop that trashes the constitution in front of a camera.

When idiots collide.
View Quote

Yeah fuck that guy who has the balls to fight for his rights and your too while he's at it.. idiot rights upholder guy...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#46]

I knew someone would post a pic like this.  Say it with me.

THOSE

ARE

ISRAELI

SOLDIERS!

Not civilians.  Anyone you see in Israel going around armed like that is NOT a civilian.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yeah fuck that guy who has the balls to fight for his rights and your too while he's at it.. idiot rights upholder guy...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An Open Carry Texas member vs a cop that trashes the constitution in front of a camera.

When idiots collide.

Quoted:
Quoted:

You and everybody else here knows that OCT is universally hated.  Only reason the dogpile hasn't started yet is because the dipshit cop trashed the Constitution.

At this point most people know that OCT members are either idiots or liberal plants.

Pretty much the only people that defend OCT are their own members and those that incorrectly think that people that bash them are bashing open carry in general.

And another one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#48]
At 14:21:

"I gotta have something, a name a date of birth, and he's just not helping me out at all....I mean, the only thing I could possibly throw on this dude is failure to ID, but the question then becomes do I have probable cause enough to detain him in the first place...."

The thing about civil liberties is that they don't exist just to protect the things we like. OC guy may be a jackass, but to me it looked like he simply tried to be on his way rather than confronting the officer. The subsequent charge hunting by the cop is troubling.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#49]

I'm the one inside his stomach being slowly digested.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

basically the same thing I thought when I saw the video.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top