Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a waste
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I voted for George Bush twice, but correct - it is George Bush's fault.    The idea that we can destroy and destabilize governments and because we're America and herp derpa we're just so smart and powerful we can create a democracy there - because everybody wants democracy after all - was wrong and most of all ARROGANT.   It's kind of like that Esurance commercial - That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works.  Obama is also shitty and disappointing in many ways.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

I voted for George Bush twice, but correct - it is George Bush's fault.    The idea that we can destroy and destabilize governments and because we're America and herp derpa we're just so smart and powerful we can create a democracy there - because everybody wants democracy after all - was wrong and most of all ARROGANT.   It's kind of like that Esurance commercial - That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works.  Obama is also shitty and disappointing in many ways.  

GW was president for 8 years. How could everything be his fault? Never could understand this, is it because you are young and don't know history?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

The problem with this analysis was that what we are seeing was likely inevitable without the attempting to build some bulwark against it, which was what Iraq was...

What we are seeing in the ME isn't a problem that's been brewing for 20 years, but closer to 100.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

Correct. We were told we were "spreading freedom" and "creating Democracy"

Bullshit

If Saddam was still in power he wouldn't let any of this slide. Sometimes people just need dictators
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The problem with this analysis was that what we are seeing was likely inevitable without the attempting to build some bulwark against it, which was what Iraq was...

What we are seeing in the ME isn't a problem that's been brewing for 20 years, but closer to 1500.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

What we are seeing in the ME isn't a problem that's been brewing for 20 years, but closer to 1500.

muslims going to muslim.

They are technically correct in their interpretation of islam.

they are simply doing as Allah, through his prophet Mohammad (Peace be upon Him), commanded them to do.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would love to be a fly on the way when they meet their maker....
View Quote

I guess they are hell bent on pissing off all the Gods.

you know you are screwed with Buddha is mad at you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So much for having a tourist industry.  F*ckers.
View Quote

My sentiments also.......
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That is why we should have plundered them all and brought them to the United States.
View Quote

but... but... democracy!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ARF told me not too much was lost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing new. When Muslim armies invaded Egypt in 650 AD, they destroyed the largest repository of ancient human knowledge, the Alexandria library, and later tried to destroy the Sphinx.

No telling how much info on ancient civilizations was lost because of that stunt.

ARF told me not too much was lost.

It set us back a couple centuries.

Remember that people, if it wasn't for muslims we would all have flying cars.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Fucking savages.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

muslims going to muslim.

they are simply doing as Allah, through his prophet Mohammad (Peace be upon Him), commanded them to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

muslims going to muslim.

beat me to the edit
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ok, I'm going to be that guy.

Didn't Hitler attempt to do the same thing by collecting all the famous artwork in Europe and lock them away to be destroyed later?

View Quote

Just the opposite. Hitler and his cronies were consummate art collectors, as they fancied themselves as being intelligentsia and high class.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

GW was president for 8 years. How could everything be his fault? Never could understand this, is it because you are young and don't know history?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

I'd be happy to compare history knowledge with you at any time. I also served in Mosul for a year and have some knowledge of it.   When did I write "everything is George Bush's fault?"  Of course it is not.  The other poster mentioned this problem brewing for a hundred years, fair enough.  The point is that secular governments in the region - like Saddam's - WERE the bullwark against this savagery, and we tore Iraq's secular government down. Period.  Same with Obama - did we like Qadafi in Libya? Of course not, but now Libya is worse.  Same with Syria, do we like Asad? Of course not - thug.  But now we think we can figure out who the democracy loving Free Syrian Army is, and we'll just give arms to those people. Sure.    Do you really believe we're that smart?  Point is - stability in the region matters more than our western concept of democracy. Foreign policy realism
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess that IS believes in shovel ready jobs, too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

muslims going to muslim.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

muslims going to muslim.

The Ottomans ruled Iraq from what,roughly 1500 to 1920? That's 400 years of knowing not to destroy such things. Saddam tried to coopt/.incorporate ancient history ,like the statues with the Sumerian helmets

I can't disagree that the Daesh aren't taking a literal - as someone said,an autiscially literal - interpretation of Islam,were it true that all Muslims believe the same then none of these would have survived this long.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In hindsight, this isn't a bad idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is why we should have plundered them all and brought them to the United States.

In hindsight, this isn't a bad idea.

Maybe in century or two - if they got their shit together... We could repatriate the artifacts to the original country. But now - all we can do if stand by & helplessly watch them try to erase thousands of years of history. Fucking fucks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess that IS believes in shovel ready jobs, too.
View Quote

I giggled.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Ottomans ruled Iraq from what,roughly 1500 to 1920? That's 400 years of knowing not to destroy such things. Saddam tried to coopt/.incorporate ancient history ,like the statues with the Sumerian helmets
http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1070351666648_2003/12/04/saddam_bust,0.jpg

I can't disagree that the Daesh aren't taking a literal - as someone said,an autiscially literal - interpretation of Islam,were it true that all Muslims believe the same then none of these would have survived this long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

muslims going to muslim.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1070351666648_2003/12/04/saddam_bust,0.jpg

That the Ottomans were bad muslims I don't question.

Are you telling me Mohammad (Peace be upon Him) was WRONG?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd be happy to compare history knowledge with you at any time. I also served in Mosul for a year and have some knowledge of it.   When did I write "everything is George Bush's fault?"  Of course it is not.  The other poster mentioned this problem brewing for a hundred years, fair enough.  The point is that secular governments in the region - like Saddam's - WERE the bullwark against this savagery, and we tore Iraq's secular government down. Period.  Same with Obama - did we like Qadafi in Libya? Of course not, but now Libya is worse.  It's OK to criticize the government - Republican or Democrat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

I'd be happy to compare history knowledge with you at any time. I also served in Mosul for a year and have some knowledge of it.   When did I write "everything is George Bush's fault?"  Of course it is not.  The other poster mentioned this problem brewing for a hundred years, fair enough.  The point is that secular governments in the region - like Saddam's - WERE the bullwark against this savagery, and we tore Iraq's secular government down. Period.  Same with Obama - did we like Qadafi in Libya? Of course not, but now Libya is worse.  It's OK to criticize the government - Republican or Democrat.

Saddam had dispensed with any form of secularized Ba'athist governance after the post 1991 uprisings of the Marsh Arabs and the Kurds showed that there was only one group of people in Iraq he could trust. That's why he was building the biggest mosque in the world and importing Palestinians as loyalist head crackers.

Secularized government itself was just another Western invention grafted onto Muslims by force of arms, nearly everywhere it's been tried in the Arab world.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#20]
And the French still insist that it's OK to loan some of the Western world's greatest art treasures to Abu Dhabi.

It's insane to trust these to any Muslim nation in the Middle East:

http://www.businessinsider.com/afp-300-masterpieces-from-french-museums-set-for-louvre-abu-dhabi-2014-10
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

Hey buddy, get a clue.

Syria fell under Obama
Yemen fell under Obama
Libya fell under Obama
Iraq fell under Obama
Egypt fell under Obama
Etc...

Obama's foreign policy is what is responsible for the emergence of ISIS and ISIS even admits it. Sorry to burst your proto-socialist fantasies.

ISIS Claims Terror Group ‘Re-Awoke’ After Obama Decided To Withdraw From Iraq

The Islamic State, it says, “re-awoke” in the midst of Syrian turmoil and “the exit of American troops from Iraq in 2010.”

http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/02/25/isis-claims-terror-group-re-awoke-after-obama-decided-withdraw-iraq

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would love to be a fly on the way when they meet their maker....

The Chinese seem to be the ones fucking with the Buddha by destroying Temples in Tibet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Insa'allah
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Saddam had dispensed with any form of secularized Ba'athist governance after the post 1991 uprisings of the Marsh Arabs and the Kurds showed that there was only one group of people in Iraq he could trust. That's why he was building the biggest mosque in the world and importing Palestinians as loyalist head crackers.

Secularized government itself was just another Western invention grafted onto Muslims by force of arms, nearly everywhere it's been tried in the Arab world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

you want commie money?  pretend to be commie.

commie money runs out?  stop pretending.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Didn't Hitler attempt to do the same thing by collecting all the famous artwork in Europe and lock them away to be destroyed later?
View Quote

No (as said by several folks already) they were confiscated because they were valuable and were intended to held in the private collections of leading Nazis.

Hitler considered himself quite the artist and enjoyed owning great works of art.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Well, you make a good point - although Saddam's government was not religion based certainly, it was power and "paranoia" based.  But which should we prefer - pretend secular governments in the middle east or complete batshit crazy Islamist governments? What's the end game? In other words, even if you're right and secular governments in the ME are a western fiction, is the current state of affairs better?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No. They were confiscated because they were valuable and were intended to held in the private collections of leading Nazis.

Hitler considered himself quite the artist and enjoyed owning great works of art.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. They were confiscated because they were valuable and were intended to held in the private collections of leading Nazis.

he was going to save all the jewish stuff and make a museum out of it.

many torahs in the US came from the nazis stash

why would you save something to destroy it later?  you would just destroy it immediately.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And the French still insist that it's OK to loan some of the Western world's greatest art treasures to Abu Dhabi.

It's insane to trust these to any Muslim nation in the Middle East:

http://www.businessinsider.com/afp-300-masterpieces-from-french-museums-set-for-louvre-abu-dhabi-2014-10
View Quote

The French whoring themselves out to rich Easterners is a song about as old as the French state. The Pope sent messages to the French asking them not to arm the Turks fighting Christians in the Eastern Med.

Now, they build ships for the Russians and rent their cultural heritage out for dinars.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Didn't Hitler attempt to do the same thing by collecting all the famous artwork in Europe and lock them away to be destroyed sold later?
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#30]
this is why we should never return antiquities to the middle east.   You never know when an outbreak of fundamentalism will wind up destroying priceless artifacts.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#31]

If Saddam was still in power he wouldn't let any of this slide. Sometimes people just need dictators
View Quote

Some people just need a dictator.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, you make a good point - although Saddam's government was not religion based certainly, it was power and "paranoia" based.  But which should we prefer - pretend secular governments in the middle east or complete batshit crazy Islamist governments? What's the end game? In other words, even if you're right and secular governments in the ME are a western fiction, is the current state of affairs better?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We should make no bones ideologically that we feel that military dictatorships are a necessary bridge to more responsible governance.

But, that's not going to happen, regardless of its track record of success.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hey buddy, get a clue.

Syria fell under Obama
Yemen fell under Obama
Libya fell under Obama

Iraq fell under Obama
Egypt fell under Obama
Etc.

Obama's foreign policy is what is responsible for the emergence of ISIS and ISIS even admits it. Sorry to burst your proto-socialist fantasies.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/02/25/isis-claims-terror-group-re-awoke-after-obama-decided-withdraw-iraq

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

Hey buddy, get a clue.

Syria fell under Obama
Yemen fell under Obama
Libya fell under Obama

Iraq fell under Obama
Egypt fell under Obama
Etc.

The Islamic State, it says, “re-awoke” in the midst of Syrian turmoil and “the exit of American troops from Iraq in 2010.”

Hey buddy get a clue yourself and maybe turn off Fox. Sorry to burst your 'proto-news reporting fantasies'.   All the thing above in red are correct and why I mentioned Obama is also terrible.  Iraq did not fall under Obama - Iraq's government fell when Bush decided to invade it.   Would we have delayed ISIS by staying in Iraq longer? Sure - how long did you want us to stay?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We should make no bones ideologically that we feel that military dictatorships are a necessary bridge to more responsible governance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+ 1 agreed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Some ALL people just need a dictator.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some ALL people just need a dictator.

Saddam 2016

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#36]
The Saudis have been quietly destroying the historical sights in Mecca too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'd be happy to compare history knowledge with you at any time. I also served in Mosul for a year and have some knowledge of it.   When did I write "everything is George Bush's fault?"  Of course it is not.  The other poster mentioned this problem brewing for a hundred years, fair enough.  The point is that secular governments in the region - like Saddam's - WERE the bullwark against this savagery, and we tore Iraq's secular government down. Period.  Same with Obama - did we like Qadafi in Libya? Of course not, but now Libya is worse.  Same with Syria, do we like Asad? Of course not - thug.  But now we think we can figure out who the democracy loving Free Syrian Army is, and we'll just give arms to those people. Sure.    Do you really believe we're that smart?  Point is - stability in the region matters more than our western concept of democracy. Foreign policy realism
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

Iraq was the spitting image of stability prior to 2003

It's not like Saddam initiated a war with Iran....or Kuwait....or habitually imprisoned/tortured/killed THOUSANDS of his people...or used weapons of mass destruction on his own people....yeah that would be CRAZY to think.

ISIS are bad mother fuckers for sure....but to claim that A: US involvement in Iraq "created" ISIS or B: Iraq was better off under Saddam....that shows you lack critical thinking skills. Your assessment of the situation is effectively "better the devil you know than the one you don't". Well fuck evil all around.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's not like Saddam initiated a war with Iran....or Kuwait....or habitually imprisoned/tortured/killed THOUSANDS of his people...or used weapons of mass destruction on his own people....yeah that would be CRAZY to think.

ISIS are bad mother fuckers for sure....but to claim that A: US involvement in Iraq "created" ISIS or B: Iraq was better off under Saddam....that shows you lack critical thinking skills. Your assessment of the situation is effectively "better the devil you know than the one you don't". Well fuck evil all around.
View Quote

That is not a realistic goal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I think we should release the sun God on them. Know what I'm saying?;)
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right, Bushes fault.

Bullshit

Yeah, places like California, NY, Chicago, and Seattle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Saudis have been quietly destroying the historical sights in Mecca too.
View Quote

The more they destroy, the stronger our claim on the ones in the West becomes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

As another poster mentioned, not realistic.  We didn't create ISIS, we just destabilized governments in the the region allowing them to grab territory.  Again, foreign policy realism, yes - in a way I am arguing better the devil you know than the one you do not.  As far as critical thinking, you mean like the critical thinking we used in 2003 when we invaded?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
And what does our fearless dear leader do......absolutely nothing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

idiots...uneducated idiots...pure and simple...

destroying history is a barbaric thing...
View Quote

Burning people alive in cages, cutting peoples heads off, machine-gunning people into pits and selling women and children into bondage as 'sex slaves' ranks a close second.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Some folks just need shot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Video removed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As another poster mentioned, not realistic.  We didn't create ISIS, we just destabilized governments in the the region allowing them to grab territory.  Again, foreign policy realism, yes - in a way I am arguing better the devil you know than the one you do not.  As far as critical thinking, you mean like the critical thinking we used in 2003 when we invaded?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So you just want to gloss over 1980-1988 Iran-Iraq, 1990 First gulf war, chemical weapons use and development, posturing and threatening neighbors, killing own population, etc?

Our government acted off of intelligence provided from reputable sources in a time that we realistically believed there was an existential threat to our nation. Saddam continued to be belligerent and threatening..... to the point that he was willing to call our "bluff". He called it and he lost.

We support authoritarian regimes in the Middle East as long as they provide stability.Saddam was not stable. At all. Dude had to go.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Video removed.
View Quote

in case that doesn't work
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

idiots...uneducated idiots...pure and simple...

destroying history is a barbaric thing...
View Quote

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top