BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing new. When Muslim armies invaded Egypt in 650 AD, they destroyed the largest repository of ancient human knowledge, the Alexandria library, and later tried to destroy the Sphinx.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nothing new. When Muslim armies invaded Egypt in 650 AD, they destroyed the largest repository of ancient human knowledge, the Alexandria library, and later tried to destroy the Sphinx.

Abd-Al-Latif of Baghdad visited Egypt in the latter part of the sixth century AH (Islamic Calendar). He mentions that a library, which was in Alexandria, was burned by Umru ibn al-As in compliance to Omar’s orders. Second, Jamal Ad-din Al-Kufti, who was born in Kuft in upper Egypt in 565 AH, and died in 646, informs us that the library was burned by Umru Ibn Al-As

In 1380 A.D. the Sphinx fell victim to the iconoclastic ardor of a fanatical Muslim ruler, who caused deplorable injuries to the head. Then the figure was used as a target for the guns of the Mamluks."

Finally, an article by Ulrich Haarmann, "Regional Sentiment in Medieval Islamic Egypt," published in the University of London's Bulletin Of The School Of Oriental And African Studies (BSOAS), vol.43 (1980) p.55-66, states that according to Makrizi, Rashidi and other medieval Arab scholars, the face of the Sphinx was vandalized in 1378 A.D. by Mohammed Sa'im al-Dahr, a "fanatical sufi of the oldest and most highly respected sufi convent of Cairo." The nose and ears are mentioned specifically as having been damaged at this time.

Yeah, but they have power tools, earth moving equipment & HE now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That the Ottomans were bad muslims I don't question.

Are you telling me Mohammad (Peace be upon Him) was WRONG?
View Quote

In the 70s,the Shah said to the Saudi King - Faisal I believe but it may have been Khalid,I forget but it's irrelevant anyway - something like:  "you need to allow discos and girls to wear mini-skirts;you have to change with the times and allow freedom and expression or else you will be deposed". The King told him "you are forgetting that you aren't the king of France,you rule a nation of Muslims".

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to think it was sort of a raw deal when colonial powers absconded with historical artifacts.  Hell, the British Museum is literally full of stuff like that.

Now, the more that I think about it, screw it.  We should have brought that stuff home from Mosul ourselves, and if the Iraqis complained, offered them a discount on museum admission.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What fucking backward culture. A blight on humanity....
View Quote

This.  

I couldn't think of a COC compliant way of saying it.  Thank you ATL.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Fucking savages.

Completely irreplaceable treasures.

They weren't even smart enough to try to sell them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What fucking backward culture. A blight on humanity....
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
They do the same thing to ancient Muslim artifacts that apparently aren't Muslim enough.

Attacking history is an attack on knowledge and civilization. They are the lowest form of trash. These scum should be exterminated.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In the 70s,the Shah said to the Saudi King - Faisal I believe but it may have been Khalid,I forget but it's irrelevant anyway - something like:  "you need to allow discos and girls to wear mini-skirts;you have to change with the times and allow freedom and expression or else you will be deposed". The King told him "you are forgetting that you aren't the king of France,you rule a nation of Muslims".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That the Ottomans were bad muslims I don't question.

Are you telling me Mohammad (Peace be upon Him) was WRONG?

And the Shah paid for his sins against Allah (though not enough many would argue).
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is why we should have plundered them all and brought them to the United States.
View Quote

We are, Barry wants to let a shit ton of Syrian "refugees" in.

Oh, you meant the history stuff. Nevermind
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Abd-Al-Latif of Baghdad visited Egypt in the latter part of the sixth century AH (Islamic Calendar). He mentions that a library, which was in Alexandria, was burned by Umru ibn al-As in compliance to Omar’s orders. Second, Jamal Ad-din Al-Kufti, who was born in Kuft in upper Egypt in 565 AH, and died in 646, informs us that the library was burned by Umru Ibn Al-As

In 1380 A.D. the Sphinx fell victim to the iconoclastic ardor of a fanatical Muslim ruler, who caused deplorable injuries to the head. Then the figure was used as a target for the guns of the Mamluks."

Finally, an article by Ulrich Haarmann, "Regional Sentiment in Medieval Islamic Egypt," published in the University of London's Bulletin Of The School Of Oriental And African Studies (BSOAS), vol.43 (1980) p.55-66, states that according to Makrizi, Rashidi and other medieval Arab scholars, the face of the Sphinx was vandalized in 1378 A.D. by Mohammed Sa'im al-Dahr, a "fanatical sufi of the oldest and most highly respected sufi convent of Cairo." The nose and ears are mentioned specifically as having been damaged at this time.

The Islamic world eventually got their comeuppance.  When the Mongols destroyed Bahgdad in 1258 they also destroyed the House of Wisdom, which was every bit as sophisticated as the Library at Alexandria.  Historians say the water ran black with ink from the 400,000 manuscripts the Mongols threw into the river.  IT set back mathematics, chemistry, and who knows what else five hundred years.  To put it into retrospect, in the 1940's archaeologists discovered a primitive ancient battery in Bagdhad.  A lot of modern inventions were probably already invented and we don't know about it..

The difference is, we don't have a president trying to defend the Mongols as being a peace loving people...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#11]
And people still complain about the British holdings.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I really don't like these assholes, sad day for human culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYX_CbwAD8

View Quote

Video dropped by Youtube, against policy

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And what does our fearless dear leader do......absolutely nothing.
View Quote

He is being strategically patient.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw the video on FOX News showing these primitives breaking up statues but I also noticed that when the statues broke apart, they were lined with rebar.

I'm thinking these were copies of the antiquities as the ancients didn't work with rebar. I could be mistaken though. I'm old, but not that old.

Still waiting for "Fearless Leader" to begin Arc Light raids on ISIS. Gonna be a long wait, I'm thinkin'.

FBHO
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In hindsight, this isn't a bad idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is why we should have plundered them all and brought them to the United States.

In hindsight, this isn't a bad idea.

Hindsight nothing.  Egypt wants their stuff back, Greece wants their stuff back, I say "no" - they cannot be trusted to protect it.  Hell, if we (the Brits) give Greece back the Elgin Marbles the new gov't would probably sell them off to pay for social programs / 'justice'.  Fuck those guys.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Barbarians. We should nuke them!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Neutron bombs
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So you just want to gloss over 1980-1988 Iran-Iraq, 1990 First gulf war, chemical weapons use and development, posturing and threatening neighbors, killing own population, etc?

Our government acted off of intelligence provided from reputable sources in a time that we realistically believed there was an existential threat to our nation. Saddam continued to be belligerent and threatening..... to the point that he was willing to call our "bluff". He called it and he lost.

We support authoritarian regimes in the Middle East as long as they provide stability.Saddam was not stable. At all. Dude had to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ISIS are bad mother fuckers for sure....but to claim that A: US involvement in Iraq "created" ISIS or B: Iraq was better off under Saddam....that shows you lack critical thinking skills. Your assessment of the situation is effectively "better the devil you know than the one you don't". Well fuck evil all around.

As another poster mentioned, not realistic.  We didn't create ISIS, we just destabilized governments in the the region allowing them to grab territory.  Again, foreign policy realism, yes - in a way I am arguing better the devil you know than the one you do not.  As far as critical thinking, you mean like the critical thinking we used in 2003 when we invaded?

So you just want to gloss over 1980-1988 Iran-Iraq, 1990 First gulf war, chemical weapons use and development, posturing and threatening neighbors, killing own population, etc?

Our government acted off of intelligence provided from reputable sources in a time that we realistically believed there was an existential threat to our nation. Saddam continued to be belligerent and threatening..... to the point that he was willing to call our "bluff". He called it and he lost.

We support authoritarian regimes in the Middle East as long as they provide stability.Saddam was not stable. At all. Dude had to go.

By "gloss over", what do you mean exactly?  Many of the incidents you mention prove the point.  

Iran-Iraq War - remember Iraq was essentially our friend in that.  Iraq was balancing Iran as a regional power.  And, obviously, it was over in '88.

First Gulf War - perfect successful example of containment and limited war.   George HW Bush the dad was frankly a foreign policy expert, not so much the son.      

All the stuff in red: Again, Saddam was not a nice guy.  Ironically he wanted his neighbors to believe he had nukes, and it backfired (i.e.: we believed it).    The people behind the invasion - like Wolfovitz - support American intervention overseas, Paul Wolfowitz also supported Clinton's involvement is Bosnia.  A lot of supposed intellectuals on the left (Fareed Zakaria, example) also supported Bosnia AND the Iraq invasion.   Even assuming our motives were not ideologically driven (the neocons) then it was simply a massive intelligence blunder, i.e.: still a blunder.  

"Dude had to go" is not a reason and being a brutal dictator is not the same as not providing stability.  All you have to do is ask yourself if the Middle East is less or more stable after our actions.  And by "our actions" I mean both Bush's blunders and Obama's blunders.   The problem is not left or right, it's arrogance and having blind faith in American intervention basically anywhere we want.   We need to go back to things like the Weinburger doctrine (REPUBLICAN SECDEF) and go to war when it makes sense and with clear, achievable aims.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Neutron bombs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neutron bombs

Only slightly less destructive than a standard nuke.

How the Neutron Bomb Works

But fuck it, that would teach those dirty bastards to burn books and destroy monuments. Nuke them!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Only slightly less destructive than a standard nuke.

How the Neutron Bomb Works

But fuck it, that would teach those dirty bastards to burn books and destroy monuments. Nuke them!!!
View Quote

Not really interested in the people, only the relics.  I've already posted my proposal for dealing with the problem.  Thank you for the link however
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#21]
They don't value human life...what makes you think they value historic relics?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok, I'm going to be that guy.

Didn't Hitler attempt to do the same thing by collecting all the famous artwork in Europe and lock them away to be destroyed later?
View Quote

I don't think he was interested in destroying the art so much as amassing all of the european artwork he could find in order to boost the prestige of the "Thousand-Year" Reich by possessing this art in his museums.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

To put it into retrospect, in the 1940's archaeologists discovered a primitive ancient battery in Bagdhad.  A lot of modern inventions were probably already invented and we don't know about it..
View Quote

The "Baghdad Battery" was, with as much certainty as can ever be had with these things, not a battery. It was almost certainly a holder for scrolls. In fact, apart from the addition of an outer clay pot, it is identical to other known and proven examples of scroll holders.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't think he was interested in destroying the art so much as amassing all of the european artwork he could find in order to boost the prestige of the "Thousand-Year" Reich by possessing this art in his museums.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't Hitler attempt to do the same thing by collecting all the famous artwork in Europe and lock them away to be destroyed later?

Actually, they did go after a lot of art to destroy it because Hitler considered it deginerate.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Coming soon to a museum in Dearborn MI.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Just like Obama is destroying the Constitution....
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He did destroy "degenerate" art, but the rest of it was looted from across Europe for the Nazi leaders' personal collections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he would have liked to destroy any art that didn't conform to his tastes (anything he labeled as degenerate).

He did destroy "degenerate" art, but the rest of it was looted from across Europe for the Nazi leaders' personal collections.

Yeah... it was mostly just outright theft.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What a waste
View Quote

Yeah.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#30]
At least we have pictures now, unlike in the past when they pillaged.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Neutron bombs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neutron bombs

The first official acts of a Screechjet Administration would be the RRW and a new neutron bomb.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#32]
We've got to take Syria.

I said, right at the start of the civil war in Syria, that we needed to pro-active, that we needed to make sure "our chosen people" were on the ground and armed to the teeth to prevail.  Instead, we put our heads in the sand and now here we are. The only solution now is to conquer Syria.

Republican candidates like Scott Walker will not say that, because they have no balls and are not honest brokers.  The simple fact is that if you want to stop ISIS before they strike here in the USA you need to take Syria. Otherwise, you can take Iraq back and they'll just wait for you leave or for Iraqi forces to diminish before they come striking back from their Syrian safe havens.

Syria has to be taken now and the only way it can be taken is through conventional US invasion.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We've got to take Syria.

I said, right at the start of the civil war in Syria, that we needed to pro-active, that we needed to make sure "our chosen people" were on the ground and armed to the teeth to prevail.  Instead, we put our heads in the sand and now here we are. The only solution now is to conquer Syria.

Republican candidates like Scott Walker will not say that, because they have no balls and are not honest brokers.  The simple fact is that if you want to stop ISIS before they strike here in the USA you need to take Syria. Otherwise, you can take Iraq back and they'll just wait for you leave or for Iraqi forces to diminish before they come striking back from their Syrian safe havens.

Syria has to be taken now and the only way it can be taken is through conventional US invasion.
View Quote

You and seven other Americans, plus four Europeans, are up for this course of action. It's a political non-starter.

Too bad we didn't do it when the other Arabs willing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm sorry, how many millennia did it take the "mighty Mohammed" to crush these false idols with his fists? Idiots.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We've got to take Syria.

View Quote

I did not know Lindsey Graham was on ARFCOM.  We won the Cold War with the possibility of nuclear destruction facing us every day, and now we have to go fly off to perpetual war because of a handful of crazy goat fuckers.  I mean, damn - could foreign policy get any more incompetent?   CNN is blathering on this morning about "Four Canadian Teenagers" joining ISIS.  I know it's part of a broader trend, but damn.   If my sworn enemy is four cannuck teenagers, I'm not feeling that bad.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Same song, next verse  
View Quote

Being rebuilt piece by piece!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I did not know Lindsey Graham was on ARFCOM.  We won the Cold War with the possibility of nuclear destruction facing us every day, and now we have to go fly off to perpetual war because of a handful of crazy goat fuckers.  I mean, damn - could foreign policy get any more incompetent?   CNN is blathering on this morning about "Four Canadian Teenagers" joining ISIS.  I know it's part of a broader trend, but damn.   If my sworn enemy is four cannuck teenagers, I'm not feeling that bad.
View Quote

Let's tease apart your statement.

Let's talk about the vulnerability of Western societies to internal subversion, the dynamics of MAD with state vs. non-state actors, the ability of foreign terror networks to recruit disaffected populations, and the internal weakness of core MENA states.

Is IS not a serious threat on ANY of those rubrics?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#38]
There is NOTHING sacred to these monsters...............NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

And yet, Obongo defends them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Let's talk about the vulnerability of Western societies to internal subversion, the dynamics of MAD with state vs. non-state actors, the ability of foreign terror networks to recruit disaffected populations, and the internal weakness of core MENA states.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make valid credible points.  Let's take them in turn,without writing a book in comments.  

Red stuff: Yes, we are vulnerable to internal subversion.   Having said that it has been over-hyped in the past (it was during the cold war certainly) and it is overhyped now. We don't need to throw away privacy and civil rights - to deal with ME terrorism - and if you simply look at numbers and military capability the people we are facing are not that kind of EXISTENTIAL threat.  They ARE a threat at some level, and I'm surprised a shopping mall has not been massacred yet.     It's a philosophical point but we would be better off if our leaders reinforced what is special about the West. Our own moral leadership is utterly lacking.  

Nukes (green) - without a doubt your best point.  There's a lot in here, but if ISIS gets a nuke the game changes - but that is something we should be able to avoid. our actions so far have only made it more possible.

(orange) Disaffected populations - yes, they can recruit from dissaffected populations. Although funny how the ISIS leaders are not 'disaffected'.   Closely relates to the next one.  

(Blue) Internal weakness of MENA states:  This is really where the arguments for intervention (your argument) fail, frankly.  If you are concerned about the internal weaknesses of MENA states, then why favor policies that make them weaker?  The supposition is that MENA states are internally weak and corrupt / they are going to fall anyway so let's get ahead of the curve.  But they were not really falling before the Obama and Bush administrations.    It's circular: we've done things to weaken ME states (the last 15 years), they are weak, so let's invade some more and make them weaker.   Same with the "Arab spring" - it's very anecdotal, but talk to educated, secular Egyptians.   Nobody liked Qadafi, but now thanks to the west Libya is a terrorist shithole.  In Egpyt itself Mubarak basically said "Yes, the country must move to more freedoms and I will leave after a transition"  But oh no, we knew better, that wasn't fast enough.  The result was one more, less stable government.          

The better strategy would have been a long, calculated strategy of engagement and  -yes - diplomacy where we would ensured that secular states are strong, but gradually transition to more open societies.  Of course, using military force where needed.  Our actual policy has been a failure and more of the same won't help.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Compared to their usual antics, this rates about a -2 on a scale to 10.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#41]
They would usher in a new Dark Age.  What next?  Burn the libraries?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So much for having a tourist industry.  F*ckers.
View Quote

Did iraq ever have a tourist industry?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#45]
An unrelenting blight on civilization.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#46]
The rest of the world doesn't care one iota.  Not even the residents or neighboring countries.  If they did, they would be doing something about it.  It is not our axe to grind.  We can help, but go it alone?  No way.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Islamist have been doing that kind of $%^* for a long time.

Remember the Buddist Statues in Afaganistan?

Oh........that's right..........they blew them to $^*#.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#48]
ISIS is harvesting organs but didn't think to put these timeless treasures up for sale.    

ISIS needs to be destroyed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#49]
cant we just nuke them yet and be done with it for a couple hundred years?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are areas near the khotamea shrine in Western Baghdad that I'd go back to.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top