Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/7/2015 10:37:10 AM EDT
Not have accents when they sing?  When I was a kid, I was shocked to hear half of the people who had songs on the radio speak.  I was like wait...whaaa they're not American
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I know what you mean that is weird

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#2]
My mom sings in perfectly accented German.  She doesn't know a damn word she's saying though.    If you've ever heard of the Masterwork Chorus, she sang with them for about ten years.

Stutterers don't stutter when they sing either.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Secretly, they don't have accents.  They add them to sound pretentious.  Fact.  Especially aussies, buncha criminal savages on an island.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I always found it weird that stutterers don't stutter while singing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Even artists that don't speak english can sing it. They are singing the notes not speaking the words.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's another weird one.  My cousin stuttered bad when he was a kid, sang in church choir just fine
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Sounds pretty British to me.

Think it has a lot to do with the style of music, certain sounds being based on American music, leading to dropping the accent. (especially soul/r&b and early garage/british invasion)
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Whole bunch if Brits and Aussies playing American rolls too with no accent

Rick and Maggie in TWD, for example.

Keith Urban sings like he's from Dixie.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well I could prob fake a Brit accent or something if I was an actor.  My point is that when Brits or Aussies write and sing songs they sound like Americans.  I know there are some exceptions, but as a whole they really do.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

I think I remember an episode of Ozzy Osbourne's old reality show where he tried to order a pizza and the poor guy on the other end of the phone couldn't understand what the hell was coming out of his mouth... Ozzy then sang the pizza order and it was clear.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's another weird one.  My cousin stuttered bad when he was a kid, sang in church choir just fine
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heard a radio interview with Mel Tillis many years ago. He explained that it's because he knows what the next will be without thinking about it. In essence, stutterers are "overthinking" what they're trying to say.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think I remember an episode of Ozzy Osbourne's old reality show where he tried to order a pizza and the poor guy on the other end of the phone couldn't understand what the hell was coming out of his mouth... Ozzy then sang the pizza order and it was clear.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cracked up watching him on his TV show try to talk to the voice command Mercedes nav system.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Mel Tillis, not Tippin.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

And a slew of others.

Best recent one was Dewey Crowe in Justified...Aussie playing a Kentucky/Florida/something like that accent.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Why do country singers have a country accent when singing, even country singers from Australia??
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#16]
because they sing in ENGLISH...that British accent thing was an effect they took to avoid sounding like
their American colonists who actually spoke the "kings English"
Native Brits saw themselves above the Americans and sought to distance themselves how ever possible.
Native Appalachians are purported to sound closest to "True English" accents prior to the colonization of America by Britain.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Just think of it as proof that Britbongs and Aussies DO have an accent and singing is normal english.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Actually, if you listen closely, you can sometimes catch the accent. Sometimes you don't even have to listen hard it's apparent.
Other times, hardly notcieable.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
because they sing in ENGLISH...that British accent thing was an effect they took to avoid sounding like
Native Brits saw themselves above the Americans and sought to distance themselves how ever possible.
Native Appalachians are purported to sound closest to "True English" accents prior to the colonization of America by Britain.
View Quote

Yes. Yes. Yes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mel Tillis, not Tippin.  
View Quote

Damn it! I knew that was,wrong as I was typing it out. Brainfade just wouldn't let me get it right. Sucks getting old.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah I know what you mean that is weird

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why do country singers have a country accent when singing, even country singers from Australia??
View Quote

I've thought about that too
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting, Any sources to back that up?  I not calling you out or anything, Id just like to see the research done on that
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Listen to the children in Pink Floyd's "Another brick in the wall" and then get back to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

"Oll in oll. ets just another brick in the woll.

"We dewn't need no edu-cay-shun, we dewn't need no thowt controwl"

You were saying?

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Secretly, they don't have accents.  They add them to sound pretentious.  Fact.  Especially aussies, buncha criminal savages on an island.
View Quote
I thought everyone knew this.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Interesting, Any sources to back that up?  I not calling you out or anything, Id just like to see the research done on that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are several studies,,read some time ago..WWW has them,,
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Heard a radio interview with Mel Tillis many years ago. He explained that it's because he knows what the next will be without thinking about it. In essence, stutterers are "overthinking" what they're trying to say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, ok.  I had heard it was b/c singing uses a different part of the brain than talking (which is the part that is defective in a stutterer & bump-firing).
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Listen to the children in Pink Floyd's "Another brick in the wall" and then get back to me.

You were saying?  
View Quote

Listen as painfull as it is to the beatles, Led Zepplin or Olivia Newton John or for more modern stuff Iggy Izzalea(sp) or the Royales
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Not have accents when they sing?  When I was a kid, I was shocked to hear half of the people who had songs on the radio speak.  I was like wait...whaaa they're not American
View Quote

Because hard consonants and music don't go together quite so easily. You tend to take the harder edge off sounds when you sing and you're more likely to elongate some sounds, both of which are part of the distinction between the accents.

The 80s saw a bit of shift with regards to British bands singing with clearer accents, but that seems to have dropped away.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

this.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link me to this? I live deep in Appalachia and my friend in NC always makes fun of my accent.

I'm visiting my great grandparents right now here's view from hill above their house from a long time ago. I got off her computer.

Like I said deep Appalachia.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And a slew of others.

Best recent one was Dewey Crowe in Justified...Aussie playing a Kentucky/Florida/something like that accent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a slew of others.

Yup I just found that out the other day.

Before Boyd put a canoe in his head...
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have read that Tidewater area Virginians speak closest to Colonial era English and that Appalachian accent is due to the large number of highland Scots,whose brogue became a drawl.

Accents are funny things. I should post a clip of 3 of us speaking English in the car and you'd think we're actually from 3 different countries. Actually,I sound like a gay man from Connecticut or something
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Actually, if you listen closely, you can sometimes catch the accent. Sometimes you don't even have to listen hard it's apparent.
Other times, hardly notcieable.
View Quote

I don't notice the accents as much as I do the words that they use. I was watching a movie last night and the American actor (Tom Cruise) referred to a car camp trailer as a "caravan" but the British actress called it a "trailer"!    Opposite the usual usage!

Few people are aware of the fact that during the American Revolution, the Americans systematically and purposely altered a lot of words in their "English" language in an effort to disassociate themselves with the British.  They also made an effort to rid the language of what they considered archaic spelling. That's how words like "Centre" and "Colour" became "Center" and "Color" in the US.  And BTW, Benjamin Franklin was a leader in this effort. I'm not sure but I suspect that this effort is also the reason that we drive on the opposite side of the road from the Brits.

Nobodies brought it up yet, but the "no accent when singing" thing may also be partly in the ear/mind of the listener and not entirely due to the actions of the singer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#35]
A lot of Brits, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, listened to US blues and Rock and Roll. They emulated what they heard. Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, and Elvis Presley were all on the turntables of that generation of Brit musicians.

Robert Plant told in an interview that he tried to sound like a southern blues man singing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Ellie Goulding and Lily Allen can't hide their accents when singing.  I guess it depends on the singer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#39]
listen to the Sex Pistols
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't read any of these studies but I can't imagine a nation of people suddenly changing the way they speak to avoid being like another group that was largely formed from themselves. The Brits were in existence first, they spoke like Brits, Americans came afterwards, they spoke like a mix of everything that influenced them.

Quoted:

Because hard consonants and music don't go together quite so easily. You tend to take the harder edge off sounds when you sing and you're more likely to elongate some sounds, both of which are part of the distinction between the accents.

The 80s saw a bit of shift with regards to British bands singing with clearer accents, but that seems to have dropped away.

This is a more likely explanation in the modern world.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#41]
In every Aussie and Brit, is an American trying to get out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In every Aussie and Brit, is an American trying to get out.
View Quote

Well except the Queen and her consort, er, well kinda, they're mostly Danish/German, or Macedonian, or Prussian or some such thing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

When people are trained to sing they are trained to shape their mouths a specific way for each vowel.  This pretty much normalizes all English speaking accents to the midwestern USA.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Mick Jagger even has an American southern accent on some songs.  

American punk singers sometimes sound British when they sing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My mom sings in perfectly accented German.  She doesn't know a damn word she's saying though.    If you've ever heard of the Masterwork Chorus, she sang with them for about ten years.

Stutterers don't stutter when they sing either.
View Quote

My cousin is a Fedex captain, used to fly F4s with the MSANG. He has a terrible stutter, but doesn't stutter when making radio calls.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#46]
The British band Hermans Hermits sang with accents.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I can understand Ozzy when he sings. When he talks
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

When people are trained to sing they are trained to shape their mouths a specific way for each vowel.  This pretty much normalizes all English speaking accents to the midwestern USA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is interesting but Im sure most pop/rock whatever singers that hit it big in the 60's, 70's, 80's were not trained
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You were saying?  
View Quote

U wot m8?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top