Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The British band Hermans Hermits sang with accents.
View Quote

There are exceptions, I have said that.  As a whole though most dont have an accent
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember how confused I was when my dad told me The Scorpions didn't speak English at all. It rocked me like a hurricane.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The singer from Green Day does this sometimes.  It irritates me.  Even though I don't like Green Day, it still makes me think "stop trying to sound like Johnny Rotten you pretentious little prick!".

Quoted:
Mick Jagger even has an American southern accent on some songs.  
American punk singers sometimes sound British when they sing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
What about those Alaskan Bush People family and their fucked up accents?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Billy Bragg sings with a heavy Brit accent.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The British band Hermans Hermits sang with accents.
View Quote

Watching the Merseyside Darby so this is appropriate

Gerry and the Pacemakers, Liverpool

Please compare the Gerry Marsden to Elvis

Or better still, skip Elvis, it's Derby Day.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Current band. Ish

Do these guys sound American to you guys? Genuine question.

Apply to women too.?

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What about those Alaskan Bush People family and their fucked up accents?
View Quote

I started a thread about them about 9 months ago.  It had some of  the funniest comments in it that I have read in GD in years
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Adele (sp?) sounds American when she sings but has the most obnoxious English accent.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Current band. Ish

Do these guys sound American to you guys? Genuine question.

http://youtu.be/pK7egZaT3hs

Apply to women too.?

http://youtu.be/Vg1jyL3cr60
View Quote

The first video: NO
The second video: YES
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Adele (sp?) sounds American when she sings but has the most obnoxious English accent.
View Quote

See that's what im talking about.  I had no idea she was a Brit till you posted that
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Amy Winehouse is another example.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
An interesting song for this thread is one of my favourites - Golden Brown by the Stranglers. If you pay attention, you'll notice that while they maintain a fairly clean English accent through most of the song, there is a tiny variation in accent across some of the words, to facilitate a portamento that would be more awkward with harder consonents.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't notice the accents as much as I do the words that they use. I was watching a movie last night and the American actor (Tom Cruise) referred to a car camp trailer as a "caravan" but the British actress called it a "trailer"!    Opposite the usual usage!

Few people are aware of the fact that during the American Revolution, the Americans systematically and purposely altered a lot of words in their "English" language in an effort to disassociate themselves with the British.  They also made an effort to rid the language of what they considered archaic spelling. That's how words like "Centre" and "Colour" became "Center" and "Color" in the US.  And BTW, Benjamin Franklin was a leader in this effort. I'm not sure but I suspect that this effort is also the reason that we drive on the opposite side of the road from the Brits.

Nobodies brought it up yet, but the "no accent when singing" thing may also be partly in the ear/mind of the listener and not entirely due to the actions of the singer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually, if you listen closely, you can sometimes catch the accent. Sometimes you don't even have to listen hard it's apparent.
Other times, hardly notcieable.

I don't notice the accents as much as I do the words that they use. I was watching a movie last night and the American actor (Tom Cruise) referred to a car camp trailer as a "caravan" but the British actress called it a "trailer"!    Opposite the usual usage!

Few people are aware of the fact that during the American Revolution, the Americans systematically and purposely altered a lot of words in their "English" language in an effort to disassociate themselves with the British.  They also made an effort to rid the language of what they considered archaic spelling. That's how words like "Centre" and "Colour" became "Center" and "Color" in the US.  And BTW, Benjamin Franklin was a leader in this effort. I'm not sure but I suspect that this effort is also the reason that we drive on the opposite side of the road from the Brits.

Nobodies brought it up yet, but the "no accent when singing" thing may also be partly in the ear/mind of the listener and not entirely due to the actions of the singer.

AND, why our horse racing tracks run in the opposite direction as well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]
And I completely forgot about this, but the Kinks also wrote an excellent candidate for the official Arfcom anthem

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

When the Stones were just getting started, the BBC did not want to play their music.
Jaggers accent led BBC listeners -and-or staff to believe it was an American Negro band
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn Brits don't have accents but country singers do. Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

When the Stones were just getting started, the BBC did not want to play their music.

Jaggers accent led BBC listeners -and-or staff to believe it was an American Negro band
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure about that? They, along with other people, had specific songs banned based on BBC policies relating to obscenity. Absolutely nothing to do with any perceived race of the singer

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Subnet, you and me are going to have a falling out

THIS is surely the version you meant to post.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/GJW19nlzb3Q
View Quote

No, I really did mean to post Slim Dusty. I've always loved the guy.

But The Dubliners are awesome, of course.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have read that Tidewater area Virginians speak closest to Colonial era English and that Appalachian accent is due to the large number of highland Scots,whose brogue became a drawl.

Accents are funny things. I should post a clip of 3 of us speaking English in the car and you'd think we're actually from 3 different countries. Actually,I sound like a gay man from Connecticut or something
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
because they sing in ENGLISH...that British accent thing was an effect they took to avoid sounding like
their American colonists who actually spoke the "kings English"
Native Brits saw themselves above the Americans and sought to distance themselves how ever possible.
Native Appalachians are purported to sound closest to "True English" accents prior to the colonization of America by Britain.

I have read that Tidewater area Virginians speak closest to Colonial era English and that Appalachian accent is due to the large number of highland Scots,whose brogue became a drawl.

Accents are funny things. I should post a clip of 3 of us speaking English in the car and you'd think we're actually from 3 different countries. Actually,I sound like a gay man from Connecticut or something

All,these accent patterns can be explained in a course on the histiry of the English language .... it ain't a STEM course but it is interesting
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Do these guys sound Canadian?

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
An interesting song for this thread is one of my favourites - Golden Brown by the Stranglers. If you pay attention, you'll notice that while they maintain a fairly clean English accent through most of the song, there is a tiny variation in accent across some of the words, to facilitate a portamento that would be more awkward with harder consonents.

http://youtu.be/d7R7q1lSZfs
View Quote

When I was a kid there is 50/50 chance that could surprise me that they were Brits.  Today as listening to it after a Brit posted it not so much.  

I dont know what it is or why I cant put my finger on it.  It really is a weird thing
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/GJW19nlzb3Q
View Quote

Irish pub songs border on what Swingset touched upon with the Country music accent.  I dont wanna derail my own thread with faking an accent(Which both the Irish and Country singers do)  This is meant as an honest to God why do all(well almost all) English speakers sound like Americans when they sing thread question
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I think in normal daily conversation, a stutter's timing and rhythm are off base, but when singing, it's a highly controlled melody/rhythm and not self generated.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I
Quoted:

Because hard consonants and music don't go together quite so easily. You tend to take the harder edge off sounds when you sing and you're more likely to elongate some sounds, both of which are part of the distinction between the accents.

The 80s saw a bit of shift with regards to British bands singing with clearer accents, but that seems to have dropped away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not have accents when they sing?  When I was a kid, I was shocked to hear half of the people who had songs on the radio speak.  I was like wait...whaaa they're not American

Because hard consonants and music don't go together quite so easily. You tend to take the harder edge off sounds when you sing and you're more likely to elongate some sounds, both of which are part of the distinction between the accents.

The 80s saw a bit of shift with regards to British bands singing with clearer accents, but that seems to have dropped away.

I vote for this explanation. I can do a fairly decent London, Irish, Scotish, and Manchester accents (I watch a ton of BBC shows on Netflix/Hulu, ABC Australian shows too--but I have a hard time doing that one), and hard consonants are the hallmark of their annunciation. That's what makes British comedy so funny I think. They practice elocution to sound clear and use interesting pitches, whereas we just let the words roll out rather monotone. To sing, you must hold out notes in whatever tone the song requires, which removes much of the the choppiness and dialect.

Pronouncing R's (rhotic) is the main catch. Most UK English dialects are non-rhotic, or use rolled R's (L's) when speaking, but you don't hear this much when they sing. I think they do this on purpose often to appeal to the American music audience, which is certainly the largest in the world. But we also bend towards a British accent somewhat when singing, because we almost never sing "giving good loving", it's "givin good lovin".
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Irish pub songs border on what Swingset touched upon with the Country music accent.  I dont wanna derail my own thread with faking an accent(Which both the Irish and Country singers do)  This is meant as an honest to God why do all(well almost all) English speakers sound like Americans when they sing thread question
View Quote

It's not exactly a derailment, it ties back to the same idea. While English accents vary massively across even the space of a few miles, one of the commonalities that define a modern English accent (what is usually considered the English Accent is actually Received Pronounciation, while the actual "generic English" accent would be a downgraded RP but without hitting estuary English) is a greater clip on some letters, sometimes described as a "sharper", "cleaner", or "colder" sound. Also one of the reasons why English actors so often end up playing bad guys, as the accent sounds a little more controlled.

Except... that doesn't really work with many songs. Singers will generally sing the sound shape, which is usually closer to the American way of sounding out the phoneme (which, if memory serves, would make it an issue of allophonics as it's the variable delivery of the same phoneme that is at the heart of the question). The end result is that British singers tend to sound American - more so in some songs that others, as it is driven by the sound shape and the combination of sound shapes needed to support the melody.

When we look at certain other accents however (Irish is a good example, as is Welsh) we find that there is less of a deviation required to achieve this, making it easier for someone to sing with that accent.

Psychology also forms a large part of it, as do speech patterns. For many people, their spoken voice is very different to their written voice. For someone using RP, there should not be a significant divergence between the two. Thus, a song written outside of that paradigm would sound jarring as the two do not complement each other. A slight change in accent will resolve that.

What we need to do, to tie this into another thread, is convince Subnet to interview AgentFunky (ask him about the US winning WWII ), which would give you a good comparison of accents.

And just because this is turning into a YouTube thread, the following clip involves Catherine Tate reciting Shakespeare in a way that is probably much closer to the original than the modern Royal Shakespeare productions. Note that the vowels are much more elongated and rounded , while maintaining a clip on the consonants. Interesting to compare and contrast with Tenant's natural accent, which is also much "rounder".

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#31]
And just in case someone is interested on taking a detour through differences between Shakespeare's English and classic RP English, the following video is fascinating.

Admittedly, this probably has quite a narrow range of appeal to GD

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Whole bunch if Brits and Aussies playing American rolls too with no accent

Rick and Maggie in TWD, for example.

Keith Urban sings like he's from Dixie.

View Quote

Andrew Lincoln has one of theworst fake southern accents I've ever heard, and the harder he tries to sound southern, the worse it gets.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
listen to the Sex Pistols
View Quote

Or even a more modern example like the Artic Monkeys
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Because American is the perfect language.

And since they are trying to perfect their music, it just sounds like American.

Truth.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
And just in case someone is interested on taking a detour through differences between Shakespeare's English and classic RP English, the following video is fascinating.

http://youtu.be/gPlpphT7n9s
View Quote

That was fascinating. Thank you for posting that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

That Shakespearean English, it almost sounds like Irish.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#37]
It's weird how some of them can turn it on or off as they want. Ever here the guy from house?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/gPlpphT7n9s

Don't encourage me. I think more schools should get Ben Crystal in to talk about Shakespeare, not just in terms of accent but he takes people on a rather wonderful exploration of the works.

I won't embed because it's a rather massive detour from the original post and it's 1h28min long, but I'd recommend it to anyone interested in exploring Shakespeare's language: http://youtu.be/9FF5K8VlcRI

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it's closer to a westcountry accent - in fact, if you hold the stereotypical "pirate" accent in mind when you listen, you'll notice the similarities.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Actually it's closer to a westcountry accent - in fact, if you hold the stereotypical "pirate" accent in mind when you listen, you'll notice the similarities.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

West Country, is that like Wales? And yes it sounded just like a stereotypical "pirate" accent. Here where I live in the summer there is a Blackbeard Pirate festival.
Tons of people dressing up and talking like pirates and that is exactly what they sound like now that you mention it.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#41]
It depends on the genre. Rock musicians tend to reflect their region.
For example, the Eagles sing with a typical Californian accent:

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well I could prob fake a Brit accent or something if I was an actor.  My point is that when Brits or Aussies write and sing songs they sound like Americans.  I know there are some exceptions, but as a whole they really do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whole bunch if Brits and Aussies playing American rolls too with no accent

Rick and Maggie in TWD, for example.

Keith Urban sings like he's from Dixie.

Well I could prob fake a Brit accent or something if I was an actor.  My point is that when Brits or Aussies write and sing songs they sound like Americans.  I know there are some exceptions, but as a whole they really do.

For the songs you hear on the radio/tv they do. Because if they don't they, don't sell. Simple.
A better question is why do foreign singers have to sound like americans to get airtime. (with a few exceptions)

A few samples, of songs not sung in 'american'

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's not exactly a derailment, it ties back to the same idea. While English accents vary massively across even the space of a few miles, one of the commonalities that define a modern English accent (what is usually considered the English Accent is actually Received Pronounciation, while the actual "generic English" accent would be a downgraded RP but without hitting estuary English) is a greater clip on some letters, sometimes described as a "sharper", "cleaner", or "colder" sound. Also one of the reasons why English actors so often end up playing bad guys, as the accent sounds a little more controlled.

Except... that doesn't really work with many songs. Singers will generally sing the sound shape, which is usually closer to the American way of sounding out the phoneme (which, if memory serves, would make it an issue of allophonics as it's the variable delivery of the same phoneme that is at the heart of the question). The end result is that British singers tend to sound American - more so in some songs that others, as it is driven by the sound shape and the combination of sound shapes needed to support the melody.

When we look at certain other accents however (Irish is a good example, as is Welsh) we find that there is less of a deviation required to achieve this, making it easier for someone to sing with that accent.

Psychology also forms a large part of it, as do speech patterns. For many people, their spoken voice is very different to their written voice. For someone using RP, there should not be a significant divergence between the two. Thus, a song written outside of that paradigm would sound jarring as the two do not complement each other. A slight change in accent will resolve that.

What we need to do, to tie this into another thread, is convince Subnet to interview AgentFunky (ask him about the US winning WWII ), which would give you a good comparison of accents.

And just because this is turning into a YouTube thread, the following clip involves Catherine Tate reciting Shakespeare in a way that is probably much closer to the original than the modern Royal Shakespeare productions. Note that the vowels are much more elongated and rounded , while maintaining a clip on the consonants. Interesting to compare and contrast with Tenant's natural accent, which is also much "rounder".

http://youtu.be/WxB1gB6K-2A

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/WxB1gB6K-2A

Very interesting.  I told Ms BSSZ51 about me starting this thread. She's kinda a smarty pants with degrees and stuff.  She said you were pretty articulate after reading this post., So take that as a compliment  Most people think she is really bitchy  The video does kinda hit the topic hard in a round about way
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Mrs. Brown, you have a lovely daughter...and I'm obviously British.

When you're alone you can always go....downtown. In London.

Whata YA meen YA can't here an accent?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I think I remember an episode of Ozzy Osbourne's old reality show where he tried to order a pizza and the poor guy on the other end of the phone couldn't understand what the hell was coming out of his mouth... Ozzy then sang the pizza order and it was clear.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I always found it weird that stutterers don't stutter while singing.

I think I remember an episode of Ozzy Osbourne's old reality show where he tried to order a pizza and the poor guy on the other end of the phone couldn't understand what the hell was coming out of his mouth... Ozzy then sang the pizza order and it was clear.  
That was SNL or Mad TV.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A lot of Brits, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, listened to US blues and Rock and Roll. They emulated what they heard. Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, and Elvis Presley were all on the turntables of that generation of Brit musicians.

Robert Plant told in an interview that he tried to sound like a southern blues man singing.
View Quote

I seem to remember Elton John stating this during an interview...
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

because they sing in ENGLISH...that British accent thing was an effect they took to avoid sounding like

their American colonists who actually spoke the "kings English"

Native Brits saw themselves above the Americans and sought to distance themselves how ever possible.

Native Appalachians are purported to sound closest to "True English" accents prior to the colonization of America by Britain.
View Quote
Southerner also started after the Civil War. Before and during we all sounded the same.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I didn't know Scorpions were German until someone pointed it out to me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, if you listen closely, you can sometimes catch the accent. Sometimes you don't even have to listen hard it's apparent.

Other times, hardly notcieable.

We also didn't celebrate Christmas for a while because that was British.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Very interesting.  I told Ms BSSZ51 about me starting this thread. She's kinda a smarty pants with degrees and stuff.  She said you were pretty articulate after reading this post., So take that as a compliment  Most people think she is really bitchy  The video does kinda hit the topic hard in a round about way

View Quote

That's normally a codeword for "using ten long words where three short ones would do" but I accept the compliment.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top