Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2015 3:56:13 PM EDT

The world’s first robotized sales assistants were rolled out last month in California. They are nifty, cute — and terrifying.

Modal Trigger

OSHbot, named after Orchard Supply Hardware in San Jose, and developed with Lowe’s Innovation Labs, costs $50,000.

Nicknamed OSHbots, the two machines cost $50,000 apiece, are 5 feet of plastic on wheels and carry built-in natural language processors, computers, product scanners and navigation tools.

Named after the Orchard Supply Hardware store where they work in San Jose, they greet customers, ask if they need help, identify items, then offer to guide them to the appropriate aisle without bumping into anyone or anything.

At night, they do inventory by cruising the store to identify missing products and update their store map.

The OSHbots will never ask for a raise or call in sick.

NY Putz story

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Its Happening
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#2]
"Hey, can you tell me where I can find wasp spray?"

"Of course, Aisle 7 is where you need to go in order to EXTERMINATE!!!   EXTERMINATE!!!"
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Great.. Another onslaught of low-wage workers that will just work long enough to get unemployment and EBT!

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I generally refuse to even use the self check out line, screw Skynet!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
But will they be able to neckbeard .22lr at WalMart?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#6]
" />
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Needs more plunger.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Good.  Show this to every minimum wage, low skill worker who is demanding $15/hr.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good.  Show this to every minimum wage, low skill worker who is demanding $15/hr.  
View Quote
My point exactly, more Ferguson anarchists
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Wait till the arrival of hobots.

I wonder how that will work out legally speaking.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
If they work as good as the self check-outs like at Home Depot that was going to revolutionize retail 10 years ago, I look for most of them to collect dust as a cool annoying gadget that doesn't work worth a shit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If they work as good as the self check-outs like at Home Depot that was going to revolutionize retail 10 years ago, I look for most of them to collect dust as a cool annoying gadget that doesn't work worth a shit.
View Quote

How so?

Unless I have some large or weird item (or there is a hot cashier), I always use the self serve checkouts at retail stores.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How so?

Unless I have some large or weird item (or there is a hot cashier), I always use the self serve checkouts at retail stores.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Yup.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I generally refuse to even use the self check out line, screw Skynet!
View Quote

This.

However, I'm a get in, get out, kind of shopper and self checkout is generally faster than the people at the register moving in slow motion.

All of this technology is producing ever more people on welfare and SSDI. What else can/will they do?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Just think of all the people that will have to be hired to take care of the robots!  Remember, that's why a company would buy a $50,000 robot, so they will have a reason to hire more people too.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#20]
No boobies?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd be fine with the robot replacing the pimply-faced teenagers at big box stores like Best Buy. I really hate when you ask them a question about a product and the extent of their ability to answer is by leaning over and reading the small white info placard under the product. Conversely, one advantage of this "job-less recession" we are still in is that stores like Home Depot (at least in my area) have canned all the pimply-faced teenagers and replaced them with knowledgeable 50-60 yr old dudes that were tradesmen before losing their jobs. So at least now I can ask a question and expect a somewhat informed response. And I absolutely love self check-out registers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Yea, people are definitely going to draw dicks on it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I would love to see a computer figure out some of the off the wall shit customers asked me when I worked at Lowe's and Home Depot.  Like the people who knew what they wanted, but had no idea what it was called and couldn't describe it worth a fuck.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How so?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

After working about 3 years between Lowe's and Home Depot.. I can say with 100% certainty is the biggest limitation to self checkout is the IQ of the customer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
"Hey, can you tell me where I can find wasp spray?"
"Of course, Aisle 7 is where you need to go in order to EXTERMINATE!!!   EXTERMINATE!!!"
View Quote

It's a Dalek plot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. They need one that can flip burgers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Nicknamed OSHbots, the two machines cost $50,000 apiece, are 5 feet of plastic on wheels and carry built-in natural language processors, computers, product scanners and navigation tools.

View Quote

I wonder if it can process the parlance "Fuck off".

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Buy property.  Robots cannot own property.

Yet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'd be fine with the robot replacing the pimply-faced teenagers at big box stores like Best Buy. I really hate when you ask them a question about a product and the extent of their ability to answer is by leaning over and reading the small white info placard under the product. Conversely, one advantage of this "job-less recession" we are still in is that stores like Home Depot (at least in my area) have canned all the pimply-faced teenagers and replaced them with knowledgeable 50-60 yr old dudes that were tradesmen before losing their jobs. So at least now I can ask a question and expect a somewhat informed response. And I absolutely love self check-out registers.
View Quote

While I'm a HUGE proponent of the free market, I'll caution you to be careful what you wish for. When you get a significant number of young people with no job market entry opportunities you will end up with a large population of people with no social or procreative value and nothing to lose.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

While I'm a HUGE proponent of the free market, I'll caution you to be careful what you wish for. When you get a significant number of young people with no job market entry opportunities you will end up with a large population of people with no social or procreative value and nothing to lose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Remember that the people you laugh at losing their jobs today will be voting themselves part of your paycheck in November.

ETA: that's probably overstating the OP's position. My point is just that having employment opportunities for people is a good thing, and unemployment, especially at higher levels has a nasty habit of encouraging people to support the left.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Procreative value?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll be joining the ranks of Occupy soon enough.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#36]
And like a real sales assistant it will be up your ass when you want to be left alone to browse and nowhere to be found when you want help
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How so?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Same for me. Even "untrained" I'm faster and more effecient than the check out trolls.  And NO I don't have your fucking little card!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda like several middle-eastern countries we've been dealing with for the last 13 years.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This. Remember that the people you laugh at losing their jobs today will be voting themselves part of your paycheck in November.

ETA: that's probably overstating the OP's position. My point is just that having employment opportunities for people is a good thing, and unemployment, especially at higher levels has a nasty habit of encouraging people to support the left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everybody will be on the left
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Procreative value?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Procreative value?

People who can attract mates.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Kinda like several middle-eastern countries we've been dealing with for the last 13 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In many ways, yes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God damn it.

Something tells me I know more anarchists than you, and we'd love to see shit like this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Operation Mayhem those mutha fuckas.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thank god the dupe police are on patrol, I feel safer all ready.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dupe and Double Dupe.

Thank god the dupe police are on patrol, I feel safer all ready.

We might could get a robot to handle that for us.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

And like a real sales assistant it will be up your ass when you want to be left alone to browse and nowhere to be found when you want help
View Quote

At least the robots will be connected and can be programmed to identify customers.  Then when a customer says they don't need any help, the other 20 robots in the store automatically know.  Unlike at Home Depot with the other 20 employees all ask if you need help.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm going to keep posting this until people start taking it seriously.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Robot: Thank you for your question about "Laptop Computer". "Laptop Computer" comes with many popular features such as "Internet" and "Music". Would you Like to upgrade to Monster Cables, a four year warranty and Geek Squad installation?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Yea, people are definitely going to draw dicks on it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not for a while, thankfully. Apparently the Occupy Idiocy Movement is highly seasonal, and they don't like the cold. Also, I think they mostly come out at night, mostly.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top