Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:21:32 AM EDT
[#1]
These threads bring out the neck beards that's for sure. Everything is energy! you, me, the earth, and the universe.
We all have feelings and emotion and a drive that there is something more too it all then just random chance.
Do all our thoughts and  memories just vanish when we die? they are energy also. Energy Can Neither Be Created Nor Destroyed.
It's always there, so is it so hard to believe that maybe like us it has a conscious memory's of everything and a natural drive to create.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I think that Philosophy is ultimately about being honest with yourself.  "Know thyself" and all that.  The most fundamental questions cannot even begin to be addressed by deductive logic.  So it ultimately comes down to what makes the most sense to you, when you are being completely honest with yourself and cognizant of your own biases.  In the beginning there was a Universe, or in the beginning there was God.  Personally, the complexity of the universe makes a Creator seem more reasonable to me.  Someone to guide and craft the complex laws of the universe.  I can't prove it, but neither can anyone prove the opposite.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:30:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
God created everything via science.

Do you know the probably of all this shit just happening?

It's in the fucking trillions.
View Quote

If a infinite universe is a possibility, the odds are actually really good.  Like, infinitely good.

Problem: as a human, I have no idea how to even start processing the word or concept of "infinite"
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm going to assume you're a troll and just stop feeding you now. Nobody is that retarded (except Tumblr users)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhhhhh.... that's exactly what makes a person an atheist...

That would be great if I beleived in labeling myself based on the disbelief of a fictional character. The label of atheist is just as fucking stupid as the label of Muslim or Christian. They are all based on the belief or non beleif of something that isn't real.
I'm going to assume you're a troll and just stop feeding you now. Nobody is that retarded (except Tumblr users)

When you start to call names because someone does't agree with you it really makes you sound just like the left wing nuts. Just saying. Have a goodnight.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:34:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If a infinite universe is a possibility, the odds are actually really good.  Like, infinitely good.

Problem: as a human, I have no idea how to even start processing the word or concept of "infinite"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There must be shitloads of aliens out there then.  That means the likelihood that we have, and are being visited is really high.  Probes, anal probes as far as the eye can see.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Absent religious dogma, we have no definition for God.

The Big Bang is an incredibly well-supported theory.

Everybody basically agrees the origin question has an explanation we don't fully understand. The possible explanations are essentially infinite due to the opacity of the singularity, absolutely anything could exist beyond it. It really makes no difference whether you want to call whatever that explanation is God or not.

Science and God are never in conflict. Science and dogma are antithetical.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:04:19 AM EDT
[#7]
One thing people have to step outside of is the human observation of time, what infinity really is, and also what "nothing" really is or isnt.
Did everything just start from a singularity?  Sure our universe.  But there is no such thing as "nothing"....so there was something before that happened whether it was a force, multiple forces, designed, or random.  Infinity - same thing - we cannot conceive it.  If infinity exists, then multiverses exist, and infinite shit happens in infinite ways for infinity.  I don't think there is proof either way.

We know - a big bang happened.  Our lack of knowledge of anything before that brings out nothing more than theories.  I would imagine there is so much more to the puzzle whether observable by our eyes or not, that we do not have the capability to understand.  I would imagine that if we were actually explained everything by a "god", spiritual being, or higher intelligence, we still wouldn't understand....It's not our place to understand.

When we die - maybe we move on because we no longer are in a physical world bounded by time.  Without time, there is nothing to relate to, not even distance.  If we just disappear forever, well, that sucks, but how the fuck would we know anyway as our conscious minds are no longer able to perceive time, or anything else physical....  However again, I do not believe there is such a thing as "nothing"....it isn't possible.  If there is infinity, then there cannot be "nothing".  If the universe started from a singularity, something put all of the ingredients into that singularity to make it explode.  

Our current perception of the observable universe to us is equivalent to believing the earth is flat and it eventually drops off....
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:32:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Why does God and the Big Bang have to be mutually exclusive?
?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:20:31 AM EDT
[#9]
The human mind's ability to comprehend the nature of reality is the same as an ant's ability to understand calculus.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:27:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
?
View Quote

Because at one point they were.  But every time some super impossible scientific notion that disproved religious doctrine became accepted as fact religious folk would then say "uh yeah, uh that stuff in the bible is just metaphor for this here sciency stuff, we didn't actually believe it for centuries but now that it's almost irrefutable,  it's how God did it".
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:30:06 AM EDT
[#11]
The Big Bang really and truly has absolutely nothing to do with the "creation" of the universe.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The human mind's ability to comprehend the nature of reality is the same as an ant's ability to understand calculus.
View Quote

Dude...have you ever seen an Ant's nest?
Tell me those little fuckers aren't six legged Engineering Nerds.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:35:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Absent religious dogma, we have no definition for God.

The Big Bang is an incredibly well-supported theory.

Everybody basically agrees the origin question has an explanation we don't fully understand. The possible explanations are essentially infinite due to the opacity of the singularity, absolutely anything could exist beyond it. It really makes no difference whether you want to call whatever that explanation is God or not.

Science and God are never in conflict. Science and dogma are antithetical.

View Quote

Get out of here with that philosophy 'n shit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm going to say god before the godless heathens show up
View Quote

Where did God come from?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:44:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Big Bang and God are both bullshit. Pretty much one in the same. Everything was created from nothing? Yeah fucking right.
View Quote

Everything had to be created from nothing..... Think about it.

Or has everything existed forever..... An infinity of existence,  with no beginning,  no end.

Infinity. The word hurts my head trying to really grasp it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The Big Bang really and truly has absolutely nothing to do with the "creation" of the universe.
View Quote
Its a strawman some theists can't let go of.

"Either it was god, or the big bang coming from nothing".  That's their false dichotomy to "prove" that their god exists.

It doesn't actually prove anything, it just supports their preconceived notions and makes them feel better about it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is so much more proof that there is no such God
http://s29.postimg.org/nx3oe02x3/c12_P2nm.jpg

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Albert Einstein:

"Your question [about God] is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations. I am fascinated by Spinoza's Pantheism. I admire even more his contributions to modern thought. Spinoza is the greatest of modern philosophers, because he is the first philosopher who deals with the soul and the body as one, not as two separate things."
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Humble yourself. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door will be opened.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#20]
The Great Mystery.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#21]
God IS the universe
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Mythical beings ... the answer is always mythical beings.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

... Do you know the probably of all this shit just happening?....
View Quote

If you shuffle and deal out a deck of cards, of course they will come out in a certain order. If you shuffle them and deal them out again, the odds that they will come out in that same order are approximately zero. Even if you spend your entire life shuffling and dealing out decks of cards, the odds of them ever coming out in that order again are essentially zero. But the odds that they will come out in SOME order, every single time, are 100%.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#24]
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Cite?

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
God IS the universe
View Quote

Countless thousands of confident religions have made that claim about countless thousands of other gods, too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The two are not mutually exclusive.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You'd think that a book inspired by an omnipotent being would at least make sense right? God gave his word through a magical carpenter in some obscure middle eastern shithole? Magic snakes, rules that make zero sense outside of a bronze age context, come on people! I realized that was pure bullshit when I was seven or eight. And then these believers have the audacity to restrict my freedoms based on 2000 year old desert ramblings. Truly, truth is stranger than fiction. Maybe that's just because the vast majority of the human race consists of irredeemable morons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So besides all of that he created us in his image and we are special, each and every one of us from Adam to whom ever?

The whole Bible story makes no sense. If he knows all from the beginning of time to infinity and still created Hitler knowing fully how he would act and how everyone else would act, what would be the point? It would be like you watching a rerun, you know what is going to happen before you watch it. Now you can't claim free will and still have him all knowing.

Yet you except all of that on faith, why? I really would like someone to explain it to me.

You'd think that a book inspired by an omnipotent being would at least make sense right? God gave his word through a magical carpenter in some obscure middle eastern shithole? Magic snakes, rules that make zero sense outside of a bronze age context, come on people! I realized that was pure bullshit when I was seven or eight. And then these believers have the audacity to restrict my freedoms based on 2000 year old desert ramblings. Truly, truth is stranger than fiction. Maybe that's just because the vast majority of the human race consists of irredeemable morons.

And yet very intelligent people believe in it, showcasing what I believe to be a very real distinction between intellectual IQ and emotional IQ.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm always surprised that so many consider "some intelligent people believe" to be a persuasive argument.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I had to vote for "some other way," because I am pretty sure The Big Bang in the Theory involves Penny.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Because at one point they were.  But every time some super impossible scientific notion that disproved religious doctrine became accepted as fact religious folk would then say "uh yeah, uh that stuff in the bible is just metaphor for this here sciency stuff, we didn't actually believe it for centuries but now that it's almost irrefutable,  it's how God did it".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

?

Yes, because there were no Christian scientists.  All the Christians were mouth-breathing fanatics while atheists single-handedly advanced mankind out of the Middle Ages.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Humble yourself. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door will be opened.

View Quote

I do this sometimes when I'm drunk, then the neighbors tell me my house is "over there".
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There must be shitloads of aliens out there then.  That means the likelihood that we have, and are being visited is really high.  Probes, anal probes as far as the eye can see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If infinity exists, then there's probably a universe out there with a galaxy, star system, and planet where that's how everyone greets each other.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If infinity exists, then there's probably a universe out there with a galaxy, star system, and planet where that's how everyone greets each other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Greetings human, I must commence anal"
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Castro District.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Big Bang and God are both bullshit. Pretty much one in the same. Everything was created from nothing? Yeah fucking right.
View Quote

Your worldview as proposed above is completely at odds with itself. God is BS but so is everything created from nothing? You have just stated that the only two possible scenarios regarding our existence are incorrect. Is there a third option that noone else ever has thought of you can clue us in on?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Your worldview as proposed above is completely at odds with itself. God is BS but so is everything created from nothing? You have just stated that the only two possible scenarios regarding our existence are incorrect. Is there a third option that noone else ever has thought of you can clue us in on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are not only two possible scenarios regarding our existence.

Infact, there are millions, whatever you can imagine and is logically consistent can be just as valid of a scenario as "god".  For example, solipsism, or multiple gods, or anything else you can philosophically dream up.  

The big bang does not explain the existence of the universe at all, rather, it only attempts to explain why it looks like it does.

Point is, the dichotomy of "intelligent design or coming from nothing" is a false one.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yes, because there were no Christian scientists.  All the Christians were mouth-breathing fanatics while atheists single-handedly advanced mankind out of the Middle Ages.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
?

Not even close.  You're arguing the equivalent of because a scientist can be a Christian then that proves Christianity = science.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#39]
*checks calendar*
Yup, we're due for our weekly Christian bash thread.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't believe anything whatsoever about the creation of the universe. Some theories are more tantalizing and realistic than others, but short of evidence I just have an opinion, and that's not belief.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Nothing is mutually exclusive of the concepts of a deity and the big bang.

God could have simply used the big bang to manifest the universe in which we exist.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I think the really smart ones voted "I haven't a clue".
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Big Bang is God saying let there be light. The universe didn't just start from nothing.

Read Genesis.

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said "let there be light" and there was light(Big Bang)
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Countless thousands of confident religions have made that claim about countless thousands of other gods, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God IS the universe

Has any other religion that was so confident talk about the coming of a Savior, have said Savior be born of a virgin, live without sin and then die... But then be resurrected and witnessed by over 500 people after resurrection and  in fulllfillment of the scriptures?  Not even close.

No other religion can claim or even come close to what Jesus did when He rose from the dead. Not one.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Castro District.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Castro District.

Castro. Lol. Spend much time in SF?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Has any other religion that was so confident talk about the coming of a Savior, have said Savior be born of a virgin, live without sin and then die... But then be resurrected and witnessed by over 500 people after resurrection and  in fulllfillment of the scriptures?  Not even close.

No other religion can claim or even come close to what Jesus did when He rose from the dead. Not one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

God IS the universe

And your evidence for these claims? An account written not by a single one of those 500 people who witnessed the zombie act, long after all of them had died.

About as valid as every other scripture of every other religion. All of them with stories and accounts of things just as miraculous, and unsubstantiated.

And, if you had been born in a culture of any one of them over the eons, you would have bought into the veracity of them, whole cloth, to the derision of the rest.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

No other religion can claim or even come close to what Jesus allegedly did when He rose from the dead. Not one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

God IS the universe

No other religion can claim or even come close to what Jesus allegedly did when He rose from the dead. Not one.

Cite?

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#48]
God, about 6 thousand years ago
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
God IS the universe

The evidence for your religion is exactly the same as the evidence for all religions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Not even close.  You're arguing the equivalent of because a scientist can be a Christian then that proves Christianity = science.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

No, you are arguing that they are in conflict.  Plenty of people have reconciled science and religion throughout the ages.  In fact, throughout history Christianity was one of the great promoters of science, on the belief that learning about God through His creation was a worthy endeavor.

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top