BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Physical anthropology is the closest to science that anthropology can claim, but it's still pretty soft.

Somehow I doubt the physical anthropologists were behind that AAA statement on race. That has the stank of cultural anthros all over it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Physical anthropology is the closest to science that anthropology can claim, but it's still pretty soft.

Somehow I doubt the physical anthropologists were behind that AAA statement on race. That has the stank of cultural anthros all over it.

i can assure you that PAs are quite parochial about their branch, and are strongly resistant to influence from the cultural side of the house.

from AAPA:  

Generally, the traits used to characterize a population are either independently inherited or show only varying degrees of association with one another within each population. Therefore, the combination of these traits in an individual very commonly deviates from the average combination in the population. This fact renders untenable the idea of discrete races made up chiefly of typical representatives.

http://physanth.org/about/position-statements/biological-aspects-race/
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

i can assure you that PAs are quite parochial about their branch, and are strongly resistant to influence from the cultural side of the house.

from AAPA:  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

from AAPA:  

Generally, the traits used to characterize a population are either independently inherited or show only varying degrees of association with one another within each population. Therefore, the combination of these traits in an individual very commonly deviates from the average combination in the population. This fact renders untenable the idea of discrete races made up chiefly of typical representatives.

Statist!

Libtard!

White Guilt!

Liberal Echo Chamber!

Leftist Academia!

Only liberals are obsessed with race! Oh, wait.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Statist!

Libtard!

White Guilt!

Liberal Echo Chamber!

Leftist Academia!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Statist!

Libtard!

White Guilt!

Liberal Echo Chamber!

Leftist Academia!

e-ville.

as in the froo-its of the dev-ill

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
For those bringing up Neandertal ancestry:

The differences between distinct populations of modern humans are actually pretty notable. Comparing the skeleton of a 6'2" Chinese man and a 4'8" Mexican woman under blind conditions (without chronological context or existing knowledge) would lead any honest analysis to conclude they were at least as dissimilar as, say, Neandertals and Denisovians, or Denisovians and Sapien-sapiens.

In light of this, the real question we must ask ourselves is: Were the Neandertals and Denisovians really even a different species from Sapien-sapiens, at any point?

Vast new evidence on this matter are slowly pushing that answer towards "no", despite the screams and physical hysteria of those who are invested in arguments to the contrary.

The genetics don't lie, and the genetics tell us two things: What the Neandertals/Denisovians were like genetically, and what their role in human lineage is.

Some of the more interesting things we have learned recently about the Neandertals themselves:

The difference between Neandertals and modern humans is, genetically, absolutely tiny. And I do mean tiny. With every new study, the remaining amount of possible meaningful genetic difference shrinks.

Neandertals share almost all of the "important" genetics for human evolution yet investigated. Likely capacity for speech being one of the most important hurdles that genetics strongly supports.

Then, on the issue of the human lineage, is the discovery of absolutely undeniable human genetic lineage from Neandertals and Denisovians. This has been established without a doubt, now here are the more important details:

20% of the unique Neandertal genome has been identified among the people yet tested for Neandertal genetics... That is from a very small sample size, mind you. 20% remaining is a HUGE percentage for a genetic lineage over 30,000 years old.

Some will claim that 20% is insignificant, but that is perhaps the dumbest thing someone can say about genetics. Further, a similar comparison of a sequenced ancient Sapien-sapien genome to humans today revealed that, due to further mutations in human genetics, the present humans do not carry 100% of the ancient sapien-sapien genome either, magnifying the importance of the 20% Neandertal genome remaining.

Modern Europeans show the highest percentage of Neandertal lineage. Northern Europeans show significantly more Neandertal lineage than southern Europeans, which makes logical sense considering the entry of Sapien-sapien populaces into Europe (home of the Neandertals) from the south.

Neandertal genetics can also be found in parts of central Asia, and some other stranger places we still don't quite understand.

Denisovian lineage appears in many Asian populaces. I haven't seen much by way of research into Denisovian influence among the indigenous people of the Americas, which I am very curious about.

There is another human ancestor that does not belong to any of these three genetic populaces, which we have no knowledge of, other than their genetics can be found in Asia, mostly parts of China. This mystery ancestor is the most exciting thing on the subject of human lineage currently. I hope an example of this ancestor is found soon.

So, what's my point with this flight of ideas?

The theories of human origin before the advent of genetic research were highly flawed, based upon small sample bias, bad philosophy, and sometimes pure idiocy.

Those theories are collapsing. They will die, painfully, as hard science displaces soft science.

The differences between Sapien-sapiens, Neandertals and Denisovians were absolutely tiny. A dead Neandertal brought to a medical examiner today would be identified as "homeless man", nothing more. The differences, while notable, would not be so far out of modern human expectation as to cause any stir.

The assumptions that Neandertals and Denisovians were really different at all was somewhat flawed. While they do have some different traits, they are unlikely to be meaningful, beyond a little cultural isolation and a handful of small genetic changes.

All three (four?) branches of humanity appear to have been one big common family, not separate species, for at least the last 400,000 years. The differences are, and have been for sometime, small and generally insignificant. However, make no mistake that the children of Neandertals and Denisovians walk around to this day. Heck, if you're reading this, there's probably a 50% chance you are one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
TL;DR Did anyone say "One" yet, and back it up by the simple pointing out that if everyone, despite a huge RANGE of looks can still breed with each other, it's still just one race?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#6]
LOL this is more entertaining then a Baptist, a Catholic, and a Mormon arguing over Salvation.

No my belief is correct,no mine is, your scholar is not a real scholar like mine, the history of your scholar is questionable, your interpretation of that is incorrect because of xyz.

honestly I got lost several pages back, but just keep reading the posts and laughing.  

Evolutionist can't even agree on the human path
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LOL this is more entertaining then a Baptist, a Catholic, and a Mormon arguing over Salvation.

No my belief is correct,no mine is, your scholar is not a real scholar like mine, the history of your scholar is questionable, your interpretation of that is incorrect because of xyz.

honestly I got lost several pages back, but just keep reading the posts and laughing.  

View Quote

The genetics don't lie. Distrust everything else.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#8]
if you look for similarities you will find them, and if you look for differences you will find those too. that's the quirkiness about genes, we are mostly alike, but sometimes the difference in a single gene can produce a profound difference. chimpanzees share 96% of our genes, but the 4% difference is monumental. mutations are mostly fatal, and sometimes irrelevant biologically, but in a particular environment rare mutations will be beneficial. and that is why there are subtle, yet marked differences between humans. when these differences become stacked, then the difference is even more apparent. think chihuahua and border collie. BTW, the genome is twice the size in a wheat plant than it is in humans, the difference is in the arrangement and sequencing and which genes are "turned on", most genes in wheat are dormant, and much of human DNA is as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
At least we've only have one creationist bring up mythology so far talking about how all people descended from Noah and his family. How out of touch with reality do you need to be to buy that load of bs?
I'd say its a good we've avoided their non-scientific talking points so far.
the human path"....yeah, that's  a real meaningful term.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hilarious that this thread continues.  I figured it would have surely died out by now.  Page 7 was especially good. "Race hurts my feelings and has baggage attached to it, therefore race doesn't exist, a new term is necessary, northern european priviledge!" In newspeak, politically incorrect words must be replaced for the good of our orwellian society!  Subversive progressive trolls gonna troll.  And snips, 2minkey, and bohr-adam sure do agree on a lot.  Am i the only one who notices that?
View Quote

The original question was how many "genetic" races are there. I think people have shown ample evidence that using scientific criteria and genetics, that you can't easily and clearly define all people into races.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Of course we still recognize in-group phenotypic variability. Rudolph and Hans have blond and brown hair respectively. They are still the same "race." They are both members of "The German Race" (LOL) or "Caucasian."
View Quote

Educate me here.............wasn't there a time when the Huns were thought to have Mongolian in them?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There's no straw left in that thing - it's just and old shirt and pari of pants on a stick, and you keep beating at it.

I have yet to meet anyone studying birds or mammals who tapdanced around the question of how many recognized species there were of either, or how those were defined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
a fundamentally spatial term--clustering describes relative position, not absolute position.  this invokes the heap paradox, rendering the term plastic because there is no absolute frame of reference.  subnet's "breed standard" comment is trenchant here.

The concept that's trying to be described is along the lines of "genetic distance from the average of the group" but
"average of the group" creates its own definitional problems on group boundaries. In fact I think you could argue that "breed standard" is just a way
of smuggling in the definition above. (Or my definition is smuggling in the breed standard argument.)

Being a practical sort I'd just recognize a priori facts about the group--we
generally have information about its history and the limits of its breeding range, and the purposes of our analysis--and call it good.

(Social construct! Social construct! Screams the likes of Bohr. But all taxonomies are constructs created by humans for their own purposes, including
Linnaean and other taxonomies, and we don't see them complaining that the distinction between mammals and birds is racist.)

There's no straw left in that thing - it's just and old shirt and pari of pants on a stick, and you keep beating at it.

I have yet to meet anyone studying birds or mammals who tapdanced around the question of how many recognized species there were of either, or how those were defined.

They do argue considerably about subspecies though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Interesting that you bring up "Asian" or "mongoloid"

My wife is from the Philippines, and you described some visual characteristics that many of them have (including her).  However....

The original inhabitants were Negritos.  Picture a slightly darker, shorter, African Bushman, and that's what they look like.  Of course, some of the brainiacs posting in this thread would take one look at those people and call them "black", when they are about as far removed from Africa as historically possible.  One theory is that they are descended from the first wave that left Africa 60,000 years ago. There are still some small, isolated populations of relatively "pure" Negritos around, but they are dwindling.

Then, 1,000 years ago, the Malay Muslims invaded, doing the usual raping and pillaging, so that most of the population became a mix Malay and Negrito.  

Then, a few hundred years later, the Chinese began settling and interbreeding with the already mixed people.

Then 500 years ago, the Spaniards invaded, mixing their blood in, and even some Americans and Japanese in the last century.

But yeah, if your average believer in the concept of "race" sees your average Filipino, he'll say "Asian" or "Mongoloid", for someone that is so genetically mixed, that it's just plain wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I say "an Asian man" you all have a pretty clear picture of the type of human I'm talking about.  

You think so huh?

What's his name? Hafez? Krishna? Chung? Hirohito?

You forgot Nguyen, Sul, and probably a few others.

I had the subsets listed out but erased them figuring they'd be self evident. Mongoloid would have been a better term than Asian, being as that's a location.  

I'll bet you pictured flatter face, black hair, slanted/squinty eyes, small nose, small genitals, smaller stature.

My wife is from the Philippines, and you described some visual characteristics that many of them have (including her).  However....

The original inhabitants were Negritos.  Picture a slightly darker, shorter, African Bushman, and that's what they look like.  Of course, some of the brainiacs posting in this thread would take one look at those people and call them "black", when they are about as far removed from Africa as historically possible.  One theory is that they are descended from the first wave that left Africa 60,000 years ago. There are still some small, isolated populations of relatively "pure" Negritos around, but they are dwindling.

Then, 1,000 years ago, the Malay Muslims invaded, doing the usual raping and pillaging, so that most of the population became a mix Malay and Negrito.  

Then, a few hundred years later, the Chinese began settling and interbreeding with the already mixed people.

Then 500 years ago, the Spaniards invaded, mixing their blood in, and even some Americans and Japanese in the last century.

But yeah, if your average believer in the concept of "race" sees your average Filipino, he'll say "Asian" or "Mongoloid", for someone that is so genetically mixed, that it's just plain wrong.

You totally gorget a steady input of Chinese merchants too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I say "an Asian man" you all have a pretty clear picture of the type of human I'm talking about.  

You think so huh?

What's his name? Hafez? Krishna? Chung? Hirohito?

You forgot Nguyen, Sul, and probably a few others.

I had the subsets listed out but erased them figuring they'd be self evident. Mongoloid would have been a better term than Asian, being as that's a location.  

I'll bet you pictured flatter face, black hair, slanted/squinty eyes, small nose, small genitals, smaller stature.

Chinese are mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
a fundamentally spatial term--clustering describes relative position, not absolute position.  this invokes the heap paradox, rendering the term plastic because there is no absolute frame of reference.  subnet's "breed standard" comment is trenchant here.

The concept that's trying to be described is along the lines of "genetic distance from the average of the group" but
"average of the group" creates its own definitional problems on group boundaries. In fact I think you could argue that "breed standard" is just a way
of smuggling in the definition above. (Or my definition is smuggling in the breed standard argument.)

Being a practical sort I'd just recognize a priori facts about the group--we
generally have information about its history and the limits of its breeding range, and the purposes of our analysis--and call it good.

(Social construct! Social construct! Screams the likes of Bohr. But all taxonomies are constructs created by humans for their own purposes, including
Linnaean and other taxonomies, and we don't see them complaining that the distinction between mammals and birds is racist.)

Yes, they argue about whether things are subspecies or full species for endangered stuff considerably IIRC, but that is in essence arguing about species #s as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

By the criteria Sirensong lays out, taxonomy as a whole is unscientific. Which obviously is untenable. There are obvious differences between fungi and mammals. Yet if we zoom out and view the continuum of life from far enough away, I'm sure some folks here will object and say we really can't distinguish between the two. They're both organisms, right? And who are we to make distinctions?

Even though some phenomena exist on a continuum, it doesn't mean we can't classify them. It's easier if they're discrete, but reality doesn't always cooperate.

As for your earlier post on subspecies, a quick search of Google Scholar suggests its use goes far beyond conservation biology. Microbiology appears to have embraced the concept wholeheartedly. My background is in horticulture, we use variety (or cultivar for cultivated varieties) to refer to obvious intraspecific differences. There's some overlap, yes, some gray areas, but the difference between a cherry tomato and a slicer is obvious for all to see (and taste).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, people are different. At issue is whether those differences are discontinuous or not. The concept of race implies that variation is discontinuous. The countervailing view is no clear lines can be drawn. Therefore race represents a folk taxonomy.

No, it doesn't.

The electromagnetic spectrum is a continuum. Yet we can make useful, scientifically valid distinctions between X rays and visible light.

an interesting objection, but ultimately this particular counterexample doesn't hold up.  the problem is one of data scales:

>wavelength is a ratio scale measure with an absolute reference frame.  it connotes sameness of type.

>radiation band (x rays, visible light) is an ordinal scale measure (pegged to wavelength) with a relative reference frame.  it also connotes sameness of type.

>race is a categorical variable with an arbitrary reference frame.  it connotes difference of type.

this is exactly what i was talking about earlier with operationalization.  when we talk about wavelength, we imply that the type is the same--they're all waves.  when we talk about x-rays (or any other band), we aren't really talking about something unique; "X ray" is just a shorthand for "radiation of a wavelength between xxxx nM and xxxx nM".  again, all the bands are of the same type.  the difference is operationalized according to a specific, observable, repeatable measure (wavelength).  but it's still ordinal--a simplified representation of continuity.

race is wholly different--it implies that the types are fundamentally dissimilar.  you can't measure the difference between male and female--it's a biological discontinuity.

so we're left with a few options.  first, we can use the term 'race' as it has historically been used--as a categorical variable.  but to do that, we need to find actual discontinuities among the various 'races'.  problem is that the usual traits associated with race don't work.  skin color?  nope.  hair texture? nope.  prognathism?  nope.  about the closest thing i can think of would be the epicanthic fold associated with asians, but it makes appearance in other cold climate populations also.

the second option is to use the old distinction of "race", but to change its meaning to accommodate specific and measurable continuities (or trait spectra).  aside from the confusion that this would cause (which is anathema to science), the challenge here is to figure out which traits are present in the "pure" races.  so what specific traits are we looking at, how do we measure them, and how do we determine what combination of traits is required in order to assess an individual subject as racially "pure" (or an individual's deviation from purity)?

until we can operationalize these factors, we are left with race as a folk taxonomy: "this dude looks like that dude".

that's just not a scientifically valid way to classify biological types.

Actually it was used and a lot. Well into the modern era and it has not been completely displaced. It is the taxonomic species concept. "What can the top experts in the field tell apart". It is among the most practical species concept in many groups. You can actually use it to tell things like what to eat and not to eat.
http://scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts/2006/10/01/a-list-of-26-species-concepts/

By the criteria Sirensong lays out, taxonomy as a whole is unscientific. Which obviously is untenable. There are obvious differences between fungi and mammals. Yet if we zoom out and view the continuum of life from far enough away, I'm sure some folks here will object and say we really can't distinguish between the two. They're both organisms, right? And who are we to make distinctions?

Even though some phenomena exist on a continuum, it doesn't mean we can't classify them. It's easier if they're discrete, but reality doesn't always cooperate.

As for your earlier post on subspecies, a quick search of Google Scholar suggests its use goes far beyond conservation biology. Microbiology appears to have embraced the concept wholeheartedly. My background is in horticulture, we use variety (or cultivar for cultivated varieties) to refer to obvious intraspecific differences. There's some overlap, yes, some gray areas, but the difference between a cherry tomato and a slicer is obvious for all to see (and taste).

Yes, I should have qualified I meant subsp. in animals (and not insects probably because they are crazy diverse).

In bacteria species concepts are almost fictional. They share DNA way across lineages all the time and they don't even do meiosis. In many cases they just call whatever end branches they can resolve in a phylogeny "species". On top of that, it is a HUGE group diversity wise.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
the Neandertals and Denisovians really even a different species from Sapien-sapiens, at any point?
View Quote

The number of Neanderthal/Human interbreeding events seems to have been quite small. The Marine Lance Corporal principle--men will fuck anything female--and the small number of interbreeding events suggests that humans and Neanderthals were at the edge of being able to breed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Offer up a falsifable race model.
View Quote

Somebody hands a DNA sample to a lab, and they're unable tell what group of humans it came from, because
clusters of genes are all indistinguishable across the world.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
as posted earlier in the thread, the shared skin tones of east africans and australian aborigines is a perfect example.  are they of the same "race" by virtue of this similarity?
View Quote

Seems to be an example of convergent evolution rather than shared genetic history. The similar external characteristics aren't caused by the same genes,
but rather different genes that have a similar external expression.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#20]
OP they're called "genetic ancestries"... aka sub species of homo sapien that people refuse to call sub species... cuz das da racis
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Somebody hands a DNA sample to a lab, and they're unable tell what group of humans it came from, because
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't usually we this degree of wanton derp outside of Creationism threads.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#22]
one - we are all the same species, we just have small variations and traits that make us different.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is false, "genetic ancestry" can be identified through DNA. I'll get a link for you later.... I'll dig it up from an antheopology class I took, where I pissed off everyone that had the whole "all humans are the same" lib mentality.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look kiddies, he's still dancing.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That is false, "genetic ancestry" can be identified through DNA. I'll get a link for you later.... I'll dig it up from an antheopology class I took, where I pissed off everyone that had the whole "all humans are the same" lib mentality.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because a blind examination of samples that reliably replicates the predicted behavior is unscientific.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

When you piss off the whole class, it's either because you're so brilliant that you've exposed them all to some uncomfortable truth or because you're being an annoying twat who won't shut up about stuff you don't understand.  

The vast majority of the time, it's the latter.  Coincidentally, the vast majority of the time, the talker thinks its the former.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because a blind examination of samples that reliably replicates the predicted behavior is unscientific.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, because stating something that in no way refutes what you are trying to refute, while making a claim that you refuse to articulate in a scientifically falsifiable way, is not the behavior of a person who has a leg to stand on, it's the behavior of am irrational zealot too full of himself to even understand the issues.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
4 is the answer
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Everybody in this thread so far is an asshole, except me.

You can quantify (or not quantify) all this human genetic/ancestral/racial/taxonomic shit anyway you like.  All these efforts at categorization are "constructs."  They all can be valid (or fail) depending on the suitability of the application.

Traditionally, if all else fails, hammer 'til it fits.  If that don't work switch to a pissy smug attitude.

However, since that seems to be a bridge too far, I will offer the following comprehensive solution.

There are three races:  The North European (aka "white" race), the East Asian (aka "Oriental" race) and the West African (aka "black" race.)

All the rest of you tan, beige, brown, red, orange, pink or swarthy motherfuckers do not get a race.  Sorry, you are hereby raceless.  I don't think most of you really wanted one anyway.

Have a nice day.  Thread closed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When you piss off the whole class, it's either because you're so brilliant that you've exposed them all to some uncomfortable truth or because you're being an annoying twat who won't shut up about stuff you don't understand.  

The vast majority of the time, it's the latter.  Coincidentally, the vast majority of the time, the talker thinks its the former.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

I think he misread falsifiable as false.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My typo didn't help matters - but I think he simply didn't detect the smug sarcasm from mcgredo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#33]
This thread needed a poll, for extra butthurt.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Genetically speaking "race" is not a real thing.  As a species we are surprisingly inbred, and haven't had a "sub-species" or truly separate genetic "race" since the neanderthals died out.

Race is a social and cultural construct for various purposes.   Early anthropology didn't help by classifying humans into 3 separate races based on phenotype.

In my opinion the entire concept of "race" was developed to limit competition in as crude a way as possible so even simpletons could understand.   As a fairly strict anti-communalist I find the idea that some piece of nazi trash can attach his self esteem to my achievements like some kind of leech because we happen share a physical characteristic insulting and offensive.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I said: "Race, depending on how it is used, can be helpful tools to classify reality in the same sense and phylogeny if you take the time to make up some arbitrary standards to classify race scientifically. Beyond that they are simply social terms to subjectively describe appearance, and thus, like I said, are a social construct."

Said another way: One could define "race" in a scientific context if you want as long as you take the time to do it in an arbitrary, yet repeatable manner, just like we do with classifications of animals at higher levels.

This isn't typically what people talk about when they describe race. Race, almost always, is a social tool used by lay people and government agencies for classifying appearance.

If you can't be bothered to not take things out of context and construct them into strawman, then I cannot be bothered to take anything you say or post seriously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, that is just not true. Phylogenic classification and terms like "race" and "breed" (how they are used now in social contexts) are fundamentally different things.

I was actually agreeing with you when you said:

The the[sic] overriding reality is those neat little boxes aren't neat and don't actually fit reality. They are arbitrary.

Also, they are frequently found to be inadequate, hence the existence of terms like "sub family".

This is in reference to phylogenic classification.  You pointed out that phylogenic classification often turns out to be arbitrary and inadequate.  I said the same is found of any definition, including breed or race.

Moving on...

Race, depending on how it is used, can be helpful tools to classify reality in the same sense and phylogeny if you take the time to make up some arbitrary standards to classify race scientifically. Beyond that they are simply social terms to subjectively describe appearance, and thus, like I said, are a social construct.

You also said:

"It is a fact that there are genetic differences among populations of humans.
It is a myth that there are objectively quantifiable, distinct races."

I disagree that they are "simply social terms to subjectively describe appearance."
I said: "Race, depending on how it is used, can be helpful tools to classify reality in the same sense and phylogeny if you take the time to make up some arbitrary standards to classify race scientifically. Beyond that they are simply social terms to subjectively describe appearance, and thus, like I said, are a social construct."

Said another way: One could define "race" in a scientific context if you want as long as you take the time to do it in an arbitrary, yet repeatable manner, just like we do with classifications of animals at higher levels.

This isn't typically what people talk about when they describe race. Race, almost always, is a social tool used by lay people and government agencies for classifying appearance.

If you can't be bothered to not take things out of context and construct them into strawman, then I cannot be bothered to take anything you say or post seriously.

We agree more than we disagree; your defensive and self-important attitude notwithstanding.

If you're talking about government classifications of race, which vary from country to country and from from time to time, then yes of course I agree that race is a social construct, as these classifications necessarily take cultural and historical (not to mention political) factors into account.  However, I wouldn't agree that race is almost always used to classify appearance.  When it's used by the government, it's usually used as a way to denote national or regional origin (e.g., "hispanic").  When it's used by the police, then yes, it's used to classify appearance.  But when used by the general public to talk about ancestry?  In that context of ancestry when someone says "I'm 1/4 Asian" they're not referring to appearance necessarily, but to ancestry and relatedness.

Our main point of disagreement is when it comes to which socially constructed views of race fit best with the genetic reality.  I've posted a couple studies showing that human genes tend to "cluster" in 5 or 6 groups (which, oddly enough, is pretty similar to what the chart that Bohr_Adam posted here shows).  And these clusters do tend to correspond to historic definitions of race, though of course you will find exceptions along the peripheries.  You might quibble where to draw the line exactly (the argument seems to be:  "Tajikistan.  Thus, your argument is invalid."), but that's a problem of any classification system.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You can quantify (or not quantify) all this human genetic/ancestral/racial/taxonomic shit anyway you like.  All these efforts at categorization are "constructs."  They all can be valid (or fail) depending on the suitability of the application.
View Quote

I agree with this, except the part about FightingHellfish.

As Sywagon has pointed out there are assorted problems with any taxonomy, including those that certain persons in this thread would pound the table and insist are "scientific". Including the concept of "species", which run into essentially the same issues as "race". Taxonomies are created by humans for their own purposes. As the saying goes about models: all are wrong, some are useful. Yet we're not going to pitch biological taxonomies into the bin because of hurt feelings on the part of a couple groups of beetles.

When publishing these days researchers are often careful to use a term like "clade" instead of "race". They're talking about the same concepts as those 19th century guys, but it gives some people warm fuzzies to avoid the term while substituting another with essentially the same meaning. The moderns just have more evidence in the form of genetic testing to support their theories. Doubtless this will be subject to the Great Wheel of Being, in the same way that negro became black became African American, and clade will fall out of use once the wrong sorts of people start using it.

Do a search-and-replace on some terms and you could drop it into a physical anthropology text today without too many serious problems.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As Sywagon has pointed out there are assorted problems with any taxonomy, including those that certain persons in this thread would pound the table and insist are "scientific". Including the concept of "species", which run into essentially the same issues as "race". Taxonomies are created by humans for their own purposes. As the saying goes about models: all are wrong, some are useful. Yet we're not going to pitch biological taxonomies into the bin because of hurt feelings on the part of a couple groups of beetles.

When publishing these days researchers are often careful to use a term like "clade" instead of "race". They're talking about the same concepts as those 19th century guys, but it gives some people warm fuzzies to avoid the term while substituting another with essentially the same meaning. The moderns just have more evidence in the form of genetic testing to support their theories. Doubtless this will be subject to the Great Wheel of Being, in the same way that negro became black became African American, and clade will fall out of use once the wrong sorts of people start using it.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/files/2012/04/756px-Meyers_b11_s0476a.jpg

Do a search-and-replace on some terms and you could drop it into a physical anthropology text today without too many serious problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/files/2012/04/756px-Meyers_b11_s0476a.jpg

Race fell out of use once modern genetics revealed its problematic nature and that it was based on false assumptions.

You see, those earlier scientists actually proposed and worked off of falsifiable theories, and they were since falsified.  You, you just work off of bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So you're saying I backpedaled from "not useful" to "inaccurate?"

Right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is the consideration of biological fact that lead to the idea that "race" is not a particularly useful term for studying human variation. It's sloppy.

on the previous page someone posted an excerpt from this article http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/001951.html

Could you read the article and let us know what you think?

gracias!

He argues that there are recognizable clusters of traits/genetic markers. Therefore, race.

No one is arguing that there are not recognizable clusters or that there are not genetic and/or phenotypic differences across human populations.

Reducing those differences to a small number of "races" is a vast, and inaccurate, simplification. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

It really depends on the context.  

cf Lumpers and splitters.

Also, you stated that race was not a useful term for studying human variation.  Then, when faced with this article by Ernst Mayr who defines race as "an aggregate of phenotypically similar populations of a species inhabiting a geographic subdivision of the range of that species and differing taxonomically from other populations of that species," you backpedal and state that reducing human genetic differences to a small number of "races" is inaccurate.  Is race a useful term for studying human variation, as Ernst Mayr suggests, or isn't it?

So you're saying I backpedaled from "not useful" to "inaccurate?"

Right.

Heh, no.  RIF.

Either the use of "race" is "not useful" or it is useful, as Mayr suggests.  I'm taking issue with your statement that "race is not particularly useful for studying human variation."  If you'd like to clarify and state that "race, as used by the general public, is not useful for studying human variation," then I might agree with you, depending on context.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

TL;DR Did anyone say "One" yet, and back it up by the simple pointing out that if everyone, despite a huge RANGE of looks can still breed with each other, it's still just one race?
View Quote

you mean species?   The breeding thing is one of the ways of defining a species, not a race (which according to the consensus of scientists, doesn't exist).  That isn't the only definition of species though.

the post above yours mentions we have DNA from Neanderthals and Denisovians, and they are considered different species even though we obviously interbred.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

he knows that, he presented an example a test that would fail if race had no biological basis and was PURELY a human construct.

They don't appear to like his example though.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The number of Neanderthal/Human interbreeding events seems to have been quite small. The Marine Lance Corporal principle--men will fuck anything female--and the small number of interbreeding events suggests that humans and Neanderthals were at the edge of being able to breed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

the Neandertals and Denisovians really even a different species from Sapien-sapiens, at any point?

There is zero way to know that.    There might have been millions or there could have been one and that happened to be the clade that made it to the present day.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

you mean species?   The breeding thing is one of the ways of defining a species, not a race (which according to the consensus of scientists, doesn't exist).  That isn't the only definition of species though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

the post above yours mentions we have DNA from Neanderthals and Denisovians, and they are considered different species even though we obviously interbred.
Yes, yes I did!  Good catch was writing in my sleep.

Race is a social construct.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There is zero way to know that.    There might have been millions or there could have been one and that happened to be the clade that made it to the present day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This new study has really moved forward since last I looked in on the story. They are implying partial incompatibility (infertility) purging much of the genome of  Neanderthal genes, with a "peppering" remaining suggesting they may have been adaptive ones that were preserved. Cold tolerance is mentioned. Most interestingly, the FOXP2 is purged, which controls brain organization, speech, and learning. We, along with echolocators that do complex auditory processing, have a few non-synonymous mutations there where as other primates and more distant animals have mostly none. That doesn't bode well for Neanderthals being smarter than us, although their brains were at least as large (slightly larger but not significantly different).

To me, that suggests it may have been more than a few knocking of the boots going on, but no way was it millions - these were not huge populations like modern times.

ETA: http://www.nature.com/news/modern-human-genomes-reveal-our-inner-neanderthal-1.14615
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If none made it to the present day that probably indicates some mal-adaption that got chlorinated out of the gene pool.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/06/us-science-genome-idUSKBN0IQ2QK20141106

When the ancestors of today's Europeans trekked out of Africa and into Eurasia some 50,000 to 60,000 years ago, they encountered Neanderthals. They scientists found that the Kostenki man had a small percentage of Neanderthal genes, confirming that interbreeding had already occurred.

The scientists used the genetic data to determine that the interbreeding occurred around 54,000 years ago. As a result of this mingling, everyone with Eurasian ancestry - from Chinese to Scandinavians to the native peoples of the Americas – have some Neanderthal DNA.

But the researchers found no evidence of further interbreeding even though the groups lived alongside the Neanderthals for thousands of years more.

Interestingly it seems there may be another race (see what I did there) in the woodpile:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/11/141106143719.htm

Unique to the Kostenki genome is a small element it shares with people who live in parts of the Middle East now, and who were also the population of farmers that arrived in Europe about 8,000 years ago and assimilated with indigenous hunter-gatherers. This early contact is surprising, and provides the first clues to a hereto unknown lineage that could be as old as -- or older than -- the other major Eurasian genetic lines. These two populations must have interacted briefly before 36,000 years ago, and then remained isolated from each other for tens of millennia.
"This element of the Kostenki genome confirms the presence of a yet unmapped major population lineage in Eurasia. The population separated early on from ancestors of other Eurasians, both Europeans and Eastern Asians," said Andaine Seguin-Orlando from the Centre for GeoGenetics in Copenhagen.
Mirazón Lahr points out that, while Western Eurasia was busy mixing as a 'meta-population', there was no interbreeding with these mystery populations for some 30,000 years -- meaning there must have been some kind of geographic barrier for millennia, despite the fact that Europe and the Middle East seem, for us at least, to be so close geographically. But the Kostenki genome not only shows the existence of these unmapped populations, but that there was at least one window of time when whatever barrier existed became briefly permeable.
"This mystery population may have remained small for a very long time, surviving in refugia in areas such as the Zagros Mountains of Iran and Iraq, for example," said Mirazón Lahr. "We have no idea at the moment where they were for those first 30,000 years, only that they were in the Middle East by the end of the ice age, when they invented agriculture."

In before the Nephilim fans.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If only we had a name for genetically clustered groups of people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, knowing ones' genetic heritage is highly useful.  NOBODY HAS EVER SAID OTHERWISE!

If only we had a name for genetically clustered groups of people.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Race fell out of use once modern genetics revealed its problematic nature and that it was based on false assumptions.
View Quote

Compare the Cavalli-Sforza genetic distance graphics posted earlier to that 19th century map and you'll see quite good agreement.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is simply untrue, and you are spreading incorrect information.

Neandertal/Sapien-sapien interbreeding rarely occured before the entry of Sapien-sapiens into the relevant parts of Europe... Duh, you goddamned idiots, that's called geographic isolation.

When Sapien-sapiens entered Europe (as Europe became more hospitable), they entered in massive numbers, and absorbed the Neandertals quickly. The Neandertals were always a small population, the result of contact was inevitable.

The consistent and meaningful Neandertal lineage among modern Europeans, and the fact that over 20% of the unique Neandertal genome survives to this day, does NOT indicate limited interbreeding. It indicates complete absorbtion of a smaller populace by a larger populace in a short time span.

Further, your concept that Neandertals must have been ugly or unworthy of breeding with is both completely wrong and also a remnant of Nazi propaganda which claimed the Neandertals were the inferior ancestors of the Jews. It is a baseless, evil lie, and it should stop being propagated.

As the sample size of Neandertal remains has grown, we have learned that they would go fairly unnoticed among present day humanity. The differences in their appearance is not outside of the current extremes in human appearance. They were neither shockingly tall, nor ugly, and they certainly weren't primitive.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sure--in most places there have been waves of immigration and conquest from various peoples.

The Andaman islands have been recognized as having some odd and interesting genetics since the 19th century.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC378623/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure--in most places there have been waves of immigration and conquest from various peoples.

The Andaman islands have been recognized as having some odd and interesting genetics since the 19th century.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC378623/

Right...  So what "race", in the context that you think you've been arguing for, are the Negritos of the Philippines?  How about your average Filipino, walking down the streets of Olongapo City?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Compare the Cavalli-Sforza genetic distance graphics posted earlier to that 19th century map and you'll see quite good agreement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

No.

A perfect example is in looking at the people of Australia and New Guinea, whose populations were lumped as "negroid," which we now now to be about as more closely related genetically with the Japanese or the English than any Black Africans. That poor German ethnographer didn't seem to know what to so in India and Sri Lanka - but we now know those populations were closer to Northern Europeans and North Africans.  The we have the case of the Lapplanders/Sami people, who got lumped in with most of the the other Asians as "Mongoloid" despite the fact that we now know that they, too, are closer to Europeans.

These mistakes were made due to racial assumption that made sense under the prevailing theories of the time. We know better now.  Some of us just like to pretend otherwise.

You have done an excellent job of providing the very petards by which to hoist yourself and your non-theories.  We can all see the reality of racial theory as it existed, and how modern genetic understanding was able to falsify genetic relationships those theories predicted.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top