User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 158
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question for the book readers:

Would you have a problem with this season if you hadn't already read the books?  I haven't read them and I am enjoying this season as much as the previous ones.  I'll go back and read the books when (if) the fat man finishes them.
View Quote

I often wonder if people will go back and read the books if / when HBO bypasses the current publication timeline, even though they know how the main plot plays out.  If sales of the final books do take a hit, I'm sure the series has significantly increased overall sales and GRRM and Bantam Books will still be laughing all the way to the bank.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Would you have a problem with this season if you hadn't already read the books?  I haven't read them and I am enjoying this season as much as the previous ones.  I'll go back and read the books when (if) the fat man finishes them.

View Quote
Hmm. Some things I like (Dany's sped up timeline).

But the whole thing with Selmy pisses me off. Everyone in all of Westeros regaled tales of Ser Berristan being one of the mightiest Warriors to lift a sword. I understand he was aged, but even Jaimie Lannister didn't want to face the guy (when he had both hands).

I'm hoping they do something great for Arya's story and although Sansa's storyline is completely different I like the way it's going.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip...

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Nope, nothing creepy about that. Nothing creepy at all.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have no problem with this season, and I'm glad they're changing some of the stuff up. As good as the first 3 books were, books 4 and 5 were mostly filler with a few good points hidden within.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no problem with this season, and I'm glad they're changing some of the stuff up. As good as the first 3 books were, books 4 and 5 were mostly filler with a few good points hidden within.

They have diverged enough to be separate, but related stories. Like the shadows of Amber in Zelazny's books. It's kind of entertaining to participate in this thread and the book thread separately.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Littlefinger in the books was also seen as a nice guy with no ambition and regarded as trustworthy by most of the other characters. It isn't even obvious to the book readers what he wants.

Littlefinger in the show is radically different. Obviously slithering around like a snake, and his motives are clear to just about everyone.
View Quote

i'm going to disagree there.  in the books, LF is flat disregarded by most of the nobility--he's a nobody, except insofar as he can act as a procurer for them.  and since we only see him through the eyes of the nobility, it's not a surprise that he isn't discussed more.  instead, we have to piece his character together from other people's perceptions.  thus he's a wild card, with uncertain motivations.  

OTOH, the series shows him from a 3rd person perspective, so his motives are very clear to us, the viewer.  

so i'd say that the character hasn't changed much--it's the storytelling that has made him into a more obvious player.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i'm going to disagree there.  in the books, LF is flat disregarded by most of the nobility--he's a nobody, except insofar as he can act as a procurer for them.  and since we only see him through the eyes of the nobility, it's not a surprise that he isn't discussed more.  instead, we have to piece his character together from other people's perceptions.  thus he's a wild card, with uncertain motivations.  

OTOH, the series shows him from a 3rd person perspective, so his motives are very clear to us, the viewer.  

so i'd say that the character hasn't changed much--it's the storytelling that has made him into a more obvious player.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Littlefinger in the books was also seen as a nice guy with no ambition and regarded as trustworthy by most of the other characters. It isn't even obvious to the book readers what he wants.

Littlefinger in the show is radically different. Obviously slithering around like a snake, and his motives are clear to just about everyone.

I have to say that Littlefinger from the show is exactly as I pictured him from the books.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have to say that Littlefinger from the show is exactly as I pictured him from the books.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i agree completely--IMO, he is one of the few perfect casting calls, and one of the best character adaptations to the screen.  even at first, when i hated the show for being so at odds with my visualization of the story, i noted LF as pitch-perfect.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip...

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

But the whole thing with Selmy pisses me off. Everyone in all of Westeros regaled tales of Ser Berristan being one of the mightiest Warriors to lift a sword. I understand he was aged, but even Jaimie Lannister didn't want to face the guy (when he had both hands).
I'm hoping they do something great for Arya's story and although Sansa's storyline is completely different I like the way it's going.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear what you're saying about Selmy, but even though he went down, he did take on a whole lot of armed guys in a tight space.  He was actually fucking them up until he was overwhelmed.  He's also old as hell at that point.  I'd have liked to see him go down in a more honorable way against more worthy opponents, but it does seem more realistic that he went out the way he did.  I think it was just a case of superior numbers trumped superior skill.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I hear what you're saying about Selmy, but even though he went down, he did take on a whole lot of armed guys in a tight space.  He was actually fucking them up until he was overwhelmed.  He's also old as hell at that point.  I'd have liked to see him go down in a more honorable way against more worthy opponents, but it does seem more realistic that he went out the way he did.  I think it was just a case of superior numbers trumped superior skill.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which makes perfect sense but we don't want sense

We want crazy big fight scenes between two insanely big presences. (Like Viper v. Mountain)
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also this was not the usual Sons of the Harpy attack like cutting a guy's throat in a whorehouse. They seemed to have set up a larger and more coordinated ambush, hoping to take out a patrol of Unsullied who were on duty and armed. So you could imagine that some of the guys in the masks were skilled, maybe out of work pit fighters.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I hear what you're saying about Selmy, but even though he went down, he did take on a whole lot of armed guys in a tight space.  He was actually fucking them up until he was overwhelmed. He's also old as hell at that point.  I'd have liked to see him go down in a more honorable way against more worthy opponents, but it does seem more realistic that he went out the way he did.  I think it was just a case of superior numbers trumped superior skill.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear what you're saying about Selmy, but even though he went down, he did take on a whole lot of armed guys in a tight space.  He was actually fucking them up until he was overwhelmed. He's also old as hell at that point.  I'd have liked to see him go down in a more honorable way against more worthy opponents, but it does seem more realistic that he went out the way he did.  I think it was just a case of superior numbers trumped superior skill.

I hate to even utter this phrase, but in the books he is fighting pit fighters while being old as hell, and whooping ass at it. I will concede the superior numbers aspect though, there were pretty much him and grey worm and about 5 or 6 SotH.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Also this was not the usual Sons of the Harpy attack like cutting a guy's throat in a whorehouse. They seemed to have set up a larger and more coordinated ambush, hoping to take out a patrol of Unsullied who were on duty and armed. So you could imagine that some of the guys in the masks were skilled, maybe out of work pit fighters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Shit happens in battle, that's how I saw it.  We've lost a lot of far better warriors in the past 13+ years than the shitheads they were fighting.  But guess what, even the best of the best can fall to an unlucky event.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quantity has a quality all its own.

And when you're fighting that many guys, one of them only has to get lucky once, while you must dodge, deflect, etc every blow they throw at you.

View Quote
Plus, the battle at the end of ADWD specifically mentions that Barristan was wearing full armor and the pit fighter had no idea how to fight against full armor.  Pit fighters, of course, being trained to slash to draw lots of blood for the crowd, while armor requires a totally different mindset and weapon set.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#19]
While I haven't read the books, from what I understand the show writers have the overall picture. So even though they are going to jump past the books, they know where it is going. In that context the changes they are making may simply be to make the story more suited to the screen, while headed to the same point.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Some minor spoilers here, preview for the next episode:
link
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

While I haven't read the books, from what I understand the show writers have the overall picture. So even though they are going to jump past the books, they know where it is going. In that context the changes they are making may simply be to make the story more suited to the screen, while headed to the same point.
View Quote
I think the biggest problem going forward will be the dialogue.  90% of the most memorable lines come from the books.  Last weeks "new" stuff was wooden and boring.  Especially the Sand Snakes stuff.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I can't wait for June/July when they release it on disc, so I can binge watch the complete season. Don't want to watch any episode until then
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I can't wait for June/July when they release it on disc, so I can binge watch the complete season. Don't want to watch any episode until then
View Quote
Why? It's not like anybody's gonna be busy watching the Canadiens play. Goddam it, 1 second to go.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if this will top the Joffrey/Cersei/Margaery/Loras dinner for "most awkward family meal."

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wonder if this will top the Joffrey/Cersei/Margaery/Loras dinner for "most awkward family meal."

http://watchersonthewall.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/GOTS5_091814_HS_DSC_7599.jpg

View Quote

Damn, if she doesn't look more and more like Cat every time I see her.

Same hairstyle, same clothing type, same frown.

Sansa is all grown up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Sansa is all grown up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://watchersonthewall.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/GOTS5_091814_HS_DSC_7599.jpg

Sansa is all grown up.

You mean a bitter twat who will end up fucking up things for everyone because she has the IQ of a horseshoe and the foresight of a democratic city councilman?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You mean a bitter twat who will end up fucking up things for everyone because she has the IQ of a horseshoe and the foresight of a democratic city councilman?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sansa is all grown up.

Hell no!

I mean as so far as appearance wise.

True, Sansa was as stupid as her mother in Season One, and maybe some of Season Two.

And you can actually blame that on both her parents sheltering her from the world until she was already a teenager (particularly horrible idea in a Late Medieval society like Westeros)
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sansa is all grown up.

trial by moon door.  i'm free bitchez!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With all the changes we've seen, I have been wondering if the SoH may be supplemented by some of the mercenary companies Danerys spurned.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#31]
http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/aidan-gillen-littlefingers-ripple-effect

I was surprised by it because it was new. But it excited me. It’s always nice to enter in a new world and interact with new people and characters you may not have interacted with. Especially if you are a character like Littlefinger who has caused ripples which radiate outwards and affect everybody. It's always interesting to just show up in their world and play dumb.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#33]

I'm just hoping that Sansa, Arya, and Jon lay waste to the entire world by the end of this....
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Your post reminded me of the season 1 episode where the Dothraki swung his arakh and got it stuck on Mormont's armor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRYM6B7CTs8

View Quote
The pit fighter Barristan fought in ADWD also used an arakh.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Has anyone around here heard of "San-San" fanfiction?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes and it's disgusting.

ETA

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes and it's disgusting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and it's disgusting.

I agree.

IDK how it became such a thing-I, mean seriously, a 35 year old man with a 14 year old girl.

ETA: I shamelessly admit that I like to write fanfiction. It helps me with my writing and gives me ideas for my own original stories.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes and it's disgusting.

ETA

http://media.giphy.com/media/VzRT6ZExqWP4c/giphy.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and it's disgusting.

ETA

I can't imagine it's worse than some of the My Little Pony fanfiction some of the sickos around here read.

In one of the MLP GD threads someone posted part of one.  It was beyond fucked up.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I can't imagine it's worse than some of the My Little Pony fanfiction some of the sickos around here read.

In one of the MLP GD threads someone posted part of one.  It was beyond fucked up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and it's disgusting.

ETA

Fanfics in general are fucking garbage, and I say that as a fanfic writer.

You have to really dig through the trash to find something decent or good, because most of the time it is teenage angst coupled with disgusting gay/incest/pedo smut, or badly written self insert fiction were every god damn canon character caters to the author's Mary-Sue.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

IDK how it became such a thing-I, mean seriously, a 35 year old man with a 14 year old girl.
View Quote

Drogo was about 32 and Daenerys was 14 when they married.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

the theory has a large following, but martin is very ant fanfic.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I agree.

ETA: I shamelessly admit that I like to write fanfiction. It helps me with my writing and gives me ideas for my own original stories.

View Quote
Hell, 50 years ago in this country that was normal.  It's kinda funny how it has become the epitome of evil in such a short time.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I agree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and it's disgusting.

I agree.

it's part of him becoming more noble, if he's still alive, and her growing up to realize that life isn't old nan's stories and that pretty isn't always good and ugly isn't always evil.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sophie Turner (Sansa) even mentions it during the S1 commentaries.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i can see it contributing to clegane bowl if it's true
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he's that way because he feels like writing fanfiction doesn't take an author out of their comfort zone (aka, creating your own playbox and not use and abuse his.)

Or he could just be a stingy old fat neckbeard...
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I believe he's that way because he feels like writing fanfiction doesn't take an author out of their comfort zone (aka, creating your own playbox and not use and abuse his.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i've seen it mentioned on westeros.org.  he sees it as copyright infringement as well as poor exercise for aspiring writers.  can't really blame him...it's a lot easier to tell a story with characters somebody else has already established.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

i've seen it mentioned on westeros.org.  he sees it as copyright infringement as well as poor exercise for aspiring writers.  can't really blame him...it's a lot easier to tell a story with characters somebody else has already established.
View Quote

He does realize that he can go to the various fanfiction websites and ask them not to have any of his works used as fanfic material, doesn't he?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I agree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and it's disgusting.

I agree.

It's not their ages that makes it disgusting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and it's disgusting.

I agree.

What is it then?
Page / 158
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top