Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

source
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it looks like in the UK the season 5 premier was up 20% from last year. Another solid gain, increasing popularity.

It was the most-watched show amongst people who have "cable".

Once considered something of a niche show, “Thrones” is now delivering numbers topped on cable only by AMC’s “The Walking Dead.” Nielsen estimates than an average audience of about 8 million watched the initial telecast of “Game of Thrones” on Sunday — up 1.16 million viewers (or 17%) from its year-ago debut of 6.84 million. It’s also about 800,000 more than any other episode of the show to date.

source

along with being the most pirated show in history so far...and HBO has no fucks to give...it's exposure is how they see it

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102579774
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Which is amazing because TWD  is "free" for anyone to watch who has cable, and GOT is on HBO, a premium channel.

That and, TWD sucks.  I watched the first season and decided I had better things to do...
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He's spent a lot of time positioning pieces on the board. I bet some of those are red herrings doomed to figurative beheadings on the High Sept. But he's got lots of material in play for a truly epic finale. There are minor characters who get introduced but never really go anywhere, sometimes I think he's just keeping them in reserve.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the free cities connections to dany, melisandre, and stannis make the ironborn very plot-relevant, if martin decides to take it in that direction.  their death-oriented theology also resonates with the house of black and white, and has potential overlaps with the others.  i don't know if that story arc can get wrapped up in a satisfying way within 2 books, but it's not wholly irrelevant.
He's spent a lot of time positioning pieces on the board. I bet some of those are red herrings doomed to figurative beheadings on the High Sept. But he's got lots of material in play for a truly epic finale. There are minor characters who get introduced but never really go anywhere, sometimes I think he's just keeping them in reserve.

it's certainly possible.  another possibility is that he introduced them with something in mind, and later decided that they weren't that relevant anyway.  hell--it took sanderson 3 books to close down jordan's 'wheel of time' character arcs, and he still didn't hit them all (which was a good decision IMO).
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Of course you can have a thread there. You could also create a new thread in GD, just to discuss the books and the show. This thread is for the show watchers. Of course those that have read the books are still welcome to comment, and even add missing information when it pertains to things that have transpired on the show.

I think what will be interesting, is how the discussions go through the rest of the season and future seasons. If the spoilers I've read so far are true, there will be some major changes from the book coming. Probably because they know GRRM won't h ave the books finished in time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I enjoy the great discussion, there are lots of potential spoilers sneaking there way in. Please try to desperate the book stuff that hasn't aired yet from the show stuff.

I'm sure it will become more difficult as the show starts to deviate from the last books, but please make the best effort out of respect for those that haven't read the books.  

Is there a possibility of having a thread in the books area of the forums where we could discuss this kind of stuff?

Of course you can have a thread there. You could also create a new thread in GD, just to discuss the books and the show. This thread is for the show watchers. Of course those that have read the books are still welcome to comment, and even add missing information when it pertains to things that have transpired on the show.

I think what will be interesting, is how the discussions go through the rest of the season and future seasons. If the spoilers I've read so far are true, there will be some major changes from the book coming. Probably because they know GRRM won't h ave the books finished in time.

I made a book discussion thread in GD, if anyone is interested.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1739129_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I enjoy the great discussion, there are lots of potential spoilers sneaking there way in. Please try to desperate the book stuff that hasn't aired yet from the show stuff.

I'm sure it will become more difficult as the show starts to deviate from the last books, but please make the best effort out of respect for those that haven't read the books.  

Is there a possibility of having a thread in the books area of the forums where we could discuss this kind of stuff?

yay literacy!
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I begin to think Martin is intentionally delaying, so as to have the last word on what 'the real story' is.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I begin to think Martin is intentionally delaying, so as to have the last word on what 'the real story' is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure it's already written.  The show writers have been given the final outcome and the outline of the story up to it already, that was a condition HBO set.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

it's certainly possible.  another possibility is that he introduced them with something in mind, and later decided that they weren't that relevant anyway.  hell--it took sanderson 3 books to close down jordan's 'wheel of time' character arcs, and he still didn't hit them all (which was a good decision IMO).
View Quote

Someone posted earlier that GRRM initially wanted to skip 5 years ahead, then decided against it.  That makes a lot of sense.  It is really a case of the thing which makes him great can also be his Achilles' heal.  GRRM makes his characters so rich by explaining their motives and their development.  Most series like this would have had Tywin and Cersei be more on dimensional villain types.  I don't think there is anything in books 4-5 which is truly filler.  It is just a case of GRRM trying to squeeze in everything relevant to the development of his characters and running into a lot of boring bits.  It really is a pacing and editing issue more than anything else.  In retrospect, a 5 year skip-ahead would have probably been better.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Please do not discuss watching the leaked episodes, as I don't want to see anyone banned for rule violations.
View Quote

How do you know they weren't given access by HBO? I used to work in the cable industry and was given advance screenings of premium network series.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Someone posted earlier that GRRM initially wanted to skip 5 years ahead, then decided against it.  That makes a lot of sense.  It is really a case of the thing which makes him great can also be his Achilles' heal.  GRRM makes his characters so rich by explaining their motives and their development.  Most series like this would have had Tywin and Cersei be more on dimensional villain types.  I don't think there is anything in books 4-5 which is truly filler.  It is just a case of GRRM trying to squeeze in everything relevant to the development of his characters and running into a lot of boring bits.  It really is a pacing and editing issue more than anything else.  In retrospect, a 5 year skip-ahead would have probably been better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The character development is excellent. All the characters are flawed, none of the are perfectly good or perfectly evil. Except Joffrey. That little shit got off easy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How do you know they weren't given access by HBO? I used to work in the cable industry and was given advance screenings of premium network series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please do not discuss watching the leaked episodes, as I don't want to see anyone banned for rule violations.

they were, that's where the leak came from

one of the authorized reviewers had a leak
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The character development is excellent. All the characters are flawed, none of the are perfectly good or perfectly evil. Except Joffrey. That little shit got off easy.
View Quote

what about Ramsay Snow?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#14]
The gay stuff totally ruined that episode for me
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was pretty gay, that is for sure. I am over it. At least there was some boobies in the episode as well to balance things out a little.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

what about Ramsay Snow?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what about Ramsay Snow?

Or Gregor Clegane?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#17]
There are a handful of monsters in the show. But everything else is a little more nuanced. Cersei and Walder Frey have shown at times different facets of their character. One of my favorite characters is the Hound, a tortured soul who isn't necessarily GOOD or BAD. The same guy who robbed a friendly defenseless farmer also risked his life to save Sansa Stark from the mob.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There are a handful of monsters in the show. But everything else is a little more nuanced. Cersei and Walder Frey have shown at times different facets of their character. One of my favorite characters is the Hound, a tortured soul who isn't necessarily GOOD or BAD. The same guy who robbed a friendly defenseless farmer also risked his life to save Sansa Stark from the mob.
View Quote

I guess technically he did, but it wasn't really that much of a risk.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Or Gregor Clegane?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what about Ramsay Snow?

Or Gregor Clegane?

GRRM said all his characters have good and bad in them, IIRC.

I guess maybe we'd need POV chapters to see any trace of good in some of them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Which is amazing because TWD  is "free" for anyone to watch who has cable, and GOT is on HBO, a premium channel.

That and, TWD sucks.  I watched the first season and decided I had better things to do...
View Quote

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, it's not a good show overall, IMO.

It just seems like they take 8 episodes of decent-good tv and then stuff it full of boring filler to stretch it out to 16 episodes.

When I watch the TWD I'm almost always doing something else while it's on (usually surfing ARFCOM) with the show playing in the background.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't know if this has been posted yet but it's worth checking out.

Just encase you get the strange blank embed bug here is a link
http://youtu.be/kPI_xA1SoRg
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Awesome! Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

More than once, but it's still worth posting again for those that missed it.

Easily my favorite extra on the blu ray box sets.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Or Gregor Clegane?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what about Ramsay Snow?

Or Gregor Clegane?
Hey they're just young lads who like to play rough. Wankers compared to Joffrey. One dimensional, yes, and instruments of evil but not true self sustaining evil.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I am excited for this season still. And the episode tonight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

you should edit this before anyone gets grumpy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I sent him an IM too, hopefully he reads it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Stannis Baratheon is getting screwed on screen time this season. His discussions with Jon Snow are WAY more intricate and further his character development in the book than what we saw last episode.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Stannis Baratheon is getting screwed on screen time this season. His discussions with Jon Snow are WAY more intricate and further his character development in the book than what we saw last episode.

View Quote

When did he not get screwed over by Dave and Dan?

Every season they paint him more and more as a pussy whipped fanatic, while praising Dany for her...dragons.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Every season they paint him more and more as a pussy whipped fanatic, while praising Dany for her...dragons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

wait for it,  I read he gets an awesome speech in one of the upcoming episodes about his daughter, Shireen.  The one with the scars from the grayscale.

The article said it made him more sympathetic, maybe their treatment of Stannis gets better?  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Deal with it, hater

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#37]
go time
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn, I was hoping to see the crow fly out of the pot. "Snow, Snow, Snow"
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#39]
i was underwhelmed by this episode
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn, Daenerys fucked up.

I agree with the ruling,  but poor decision to think any of them would have understood the reasoning.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Damn, Daenerys fucked up.

I agree with the ruling,  but poor decision to think any of them would have understood the reasoning.

View Quote

Aye, for all her dumb moves in the book and the whitewashing they have given her in the show, this was a bigger mistake than she ever made in the books.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Arya with the sick Josey Wales reference.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Arya with the sick Josey Wales reference.
View Quote
"Dying ain't much of a living"

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Jamie going to Dorne is a bit of a twist.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
In the books he went to the Riverlands to put the smack down on the Tullys and some families/towns/castle that weren't on the maps.  I wonder why they were excluded from the maps.

I don't wonder why it was excluded from the show, it seemed like the author put Jaime there just to show he turns his back on Cersei.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah, this ought to be an interesting road trip, although i'll miss the missy's/barba's teats scene from the book.  

lollys was perfect, i wish bronn had married her like the books

areo hotah seems well cast....and dr. bashir will be an interesting doran martell.  wonder if he has a cardassian tailor
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In the books he went to the Riverlands to put the smack down on the Tullys and some families/towns/castle that weren't on the maps.  I wonder why they were excluded from the maps.  

I don't wonder why it was excluded from the show, it seemed like the author put Jaime there just to show he turns his back on Cersei.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

martin says he's horrible with keeping travel time consistent.  i imagine stuff like that stays off the maps until it's pertinent
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow, they covered a LOT of storylines in this episode. Even though it's divergent from the books, I'm pleased to see Bronn back. Dr. Bashir looks good as Doran Martell.

ETA: Almost expected to see LSH in this episode--if it's going to happen at all, it's about that time...
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Wow, they covered a LOT of storylines in this episode. Even though it's divergent from the books, I'm pleased to see Bronn back. Dr. Bashir looks good as Doran Martell.

ETA: Almost expected to see LSH in this episode--if it's going to happen at all, it's about that time...
View Quote

Agreed. He and Hotah are well cast.

Page / 158
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top