Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Posted: 4/14/2015 7:09:53 PM EDT
As seen in the title, this is a BOOK DISCUSSION and as such there WILL BE SPOILERS for anyone that hasn't read all of the books.

I repeat, there will be spoilers, without spoiler tags, all over this thread.

With that said, Margaery Tyrell invites you in.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this the first book? I have it, just need to read it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The books are going nowhere.

I tried to read A Dance with Dragons... twice.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Something I have been wondering about is what the deal is with all the Targ babies that are born deformed. There are several scattered all throughout The World of Ice and Fire books, plus the one that Dany gave birth to. Most of them are described as "twisted monsters" some with scales, tales, and various other deformities. Is this just Targ bad luck or something else?

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

If you can get through Feast you can get through anything, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Something I have been wondering about is what the deal is with all the Targ babies that are born deformed. There are several scattered all throughout The World of Ice and Fire books, plus the one that Dany gave birth to. Most of them are described as "twisted monsters" some with scales, tales, and various other deformities. Is this just Targ bad luck or something else?
View Quote

Dragon blood bro, dragon blood.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

this is 5 books, come back when you catch up
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, you know, the incest.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I've read them all so far. I like the overall narrative, but long stretches of the books can feel like work . I don't regret powering through them, but I really hope the pace picks up in books 6 and 7.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus a sixth in a few years, and the seventh in a decade, and the eighth in 2043 if GRRM lasts that long, and I'm sure the final book(s) after that will be along about the time my eyesight goes.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Plus a sixth in a few years, and the seventh in a decade, and the eighth in 2043 if GRRM lasts that long, and I'm sure the final book(s) after that will be along about the time my eyesight goes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GRRM will be dead of the cholesterol 'beetus in less than a decade.

I'm guessing the TV show will start to diverge from his books... or at least they'll be using his rough drafts for source material soon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

just like our world, you inbreed for too long and you end up with a higher incidence of illnesses, etc.  and as much as i hate the secret targaryen plots, it adds more fuel to the theory that tyrion is a product of aerys raping joanna.  his interest in dragon training and his saddle design back in book 1 weren't just filler or coincidences.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it ok to discuss what I think the changes the TV show have made imply for the coming books?

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i was being polite instead of sending him out for a spool of flight line
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, George RR Martin gets bored with characters, kills them, then moves to different continents.  He must have ADD.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#15]
The last 2 books were pretty tough to get through, and the next 2 will probably never be released.

He should have just shot for a trilogy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is it ok to discuss what I think the changes the TV show have made imply for the coming books?

View Quote

OP says spoilers, whip it out!

i think it implies that "Aegon" ain't shit...I will give Josh's theory that he's a Blackfyre credence, but I'm not convinced he isn't Illyrio's son yet.  either way, "mummer's dragon"
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The last 2 books were pretty tough to get through, and the next 2 will probably never be released.

View Quote

i tore through ADWD in about a week, and that was after having read all the spoilers on westeros.org, and i still wanted more when it was over.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#18]
So spoilers are cool here?

I found Jon Snow's death at the hands of his Night's Watch brothers among the most shocking of the deaths in the series so far.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I found Jon Snow's death at the hands of his Night's Watch brothers among the most shocking of the deaths in the series so far.
View Quote

He doesn't actually die...
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I found that one death of that guy among the most shocking of the deaths in the series so far.
View Quote

Well........the OP did say to put them in spoiler tags.

ETA:  I misread the OP.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

He did to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#22]
The books are getting worse the longer it takes Georgie Porgie to write them.  

The first three were the best and it didn't take as long to write them.

Anyway........I don't think Jon is dead either.  Permanently at least.

He'll be back.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

i think it implies that "Aegon" ain't shit...I will give Josh's theory that he's a Blackfyre credence, but I'm not convinced he isn't Illyrio's son yet.  either way, "mummer's dragon"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.  I wonder if we'll see Illyrio at all in future episodes.

I'm going to rewatch episode one before I make any predictions.  I've seen the first 4 episodes at a friend's house, so don't want to spoil the changes for those watching the show too.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

richard pryor said it best:  I ain't dead yet, mothafucka!
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

screw you all.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm going to rewatch episode one before I make any predictions.  I've seen the first 4 episodes at a friend's house, so don't want to spoil the changes for those watching the show too.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think they've skipped him and just replaced him with varys from what i've seen so far
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jon's not dead.  If he is dead, Melisandre will bring him back.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibility, I just don't see any real support for him being Illyrio's son anywhere in the books.  

It's also possible he's exactly who he says he is -- would Connington go to the lengths he does for someone who wasn't?  Hard to say yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

screw you all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

screw you all.

que?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I basically treat them as two separate but similar stories.  It might be easier for me since I watched the first four seasons before I ever picked up a single one of the books (I know it was easier for me not having to wait all those years for ADWD.)
Contrary to my normal way of thinking, I would actually suggest a person new to them to watch the show first---I got hooked, and find the books to be a great expansion of the story.  Had I started with the books I suspect I would be rather disappointed in the show.  (I have still not been able to successfully watch The Two Towers without flying into a rage, for example.)
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

i think they've skipped him and just replaced him with varys from what i've seen so far
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the show perspective, that makes perfect sense.  Varys is the one moving the pieces, who cares who the pieces are and how they react as long as the puppet master is shown.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

just like our world, you inbreed for too long and you end up with a higher incidence of illnesses, etc.  and as much as i hate the secret targaryen plots, it adds more fuel to the theory that tyrion is a product of aerys raping joanna.  his interest in dragon training and his saddle design back in book 1 weren't just filler or coincidences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did it mention Aerys raping Joanna, or did you infer that? I don't recall that at all.
I'm wondering whose body Jon Snow is going to possess...
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

He did to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did to begin with.

Reading it I had the feeling that somebody made him an offer he couldn't refuse and he just kept piling on with fillers and contrivances.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I basically treat them as two separate but similar stories.  It might be easier for me since I watched the first four seasons before I ever picked up a single one of the books (I know it was easier for me not having to wait all those years for ADWD.)
Contrary to my normal way of thinking, I would actually suggest a person new to them to watch the show first---I got hooked, and find the books to be a great expansion of the story.  Had I started with the books I suspect I would be rather disappointed in the show.  (I have still not been able to successfully watch The Two Towers without flying into a rage, for example.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peter Jackson is a fucking idiot who doesn't get Tolkien at all and made no attempt to build a movie that did the story justice.  His only object was to capitalize on the fact that the books are the gold standard for fantasy fiction and have been for fifty years, while writing his own story that would make a fuckton of money. In that, he succeeded wildly.

I don't get that feeling from GOT the show.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Possibility, I just don't see any real support for him being Illyrio's son anywhere in the books.  

It's also possible he's exactly who he says he is -- would Connington go to the lengths he does for someone who wasn't?  Hard to say yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

illyrio's son is an outside shot...i'd have to read it again to see what made it believable for me.  as i said, i'm more inclined to believe he's a Blackfyre.  maybe connington's been deceived as well?  

that's one of the things i absolutely love about this series, it does keep us guessing and debating.  just got word from the library today that the dunk and egg books i reserved are in.  i can't wait to dive into them too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Did it mention Aerys raping Joanna, or did you infer that? I don't recall that at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would Jon posses someone else's body? Melisandra will just bring him back in his I think.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

From the show perspective, that makes perfect sense.  Varys is the one moving the pieces, who cares who the pieces are and how they react as long as the puppet master is shown.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed.  and people still know who varys is.  show watchers have forgotten illyrio's involvement with dany early on by now
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The books say that Aerys took liberties with Joanna during the bedding ceremony at Tywin's wedding.  It caused a great deal of issues between Aerys and Tywin.  
We don't get any more information, but one theory is that he did, in fact, rape her and Cersei and Jaime are the result of that rape, which makes them Targaryen bastards.

Most people don't believe that theory, but it does exist.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

illyrio's son is an outside shot...i'd have to read it again to see what made it believable for me.  as i said, i'm more inclined to believe he's a Blackfyre.  maybe connington's been deceived as well?  

that's one of the things i absolutely love about this series, it does keep us guessing and debating.  just got word from the library today that the dunk and egg books i reserved are in.  i can't wait to dive into them too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just pre-ordered the "Knight of the Seven Kingdoms".  Out in October, should be all the stories in one place.  I've read them all, but it will be nice to have them all in one place.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Tagging this... just started ADWD and don't care about spoilers.

I enjoy the series. Just got to season 2, ep. 3 on the show. Margaery Tyrell is a babe.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Peter Jackson is a fucking idiot

View Quote

I, I think I love you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm not entirely convinced Jon is Eddard's bastard. Could it be a possibility he was Lyanna's from being raped by Aerys?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

"So you think he's dead, do you?"

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

only a theory.  it's not definitely stated, but there is mention of aerys making advances toward her and other women.  lannisters are blonde, but tyrion's more pale platinum like the targaryens, mismatched eyes, dwarfism...i could be wrong, he just doesn't look very lannister to me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm not entirely convinced Jon is Eddard's bastard. Could it be a possibility he was Lyanna's from being raped by Aerys?
View Quote

you're so close....
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"You know nothing, thelastgunslinger."
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#47]
What role are the Others playing? We basically know jack shit about them except "They're immortal, elf-like (GRRM's words), indestructible to all but obsidian weapons and dragonsteel (Valyrian), can raise the dead, and have a huge affinity for ice and cold."
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why would Jon posses someone else's body? Melisandra will just bring him back in his I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe he warged into bowen marsh, or had a stand in like mance did...or he warged into wun wun the giant
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The books say that Aerys took liberties with Joanna during the bedding ceremony at Tywin's wedding.  It caused a great deal of issues between Aerys and Tywin.  
We don't get any more information, but one theory is that he did, in fact, rape her and Cersei and Jaime are the result of that rape, which makes them Targaryen bastards.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'm posiive that cersei and jaime are tywin's....and mentally, tyrion is more his heir than both of them combined, but it won't surprise me if tyrion isn't his biological son
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah.  it made me blink for a second, but golly gee--melisandre is right fucking there, and we already know that r'hllor (sp?) specializes in reanimation.  so even if were actually to die, he'd be out for about 200 pages.

of course, that would be even trollier than killing ned off if GRRM planted R+L=J as a rumor and then offed him.  legendary rage on a global scale.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top