Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2014 12:47:10 AM EDT
Horrible iPotato pictures on a snowy day.  I'll have to take new ones on my next trip through. Makes me wonder if any high altitude training was done in the area as it is an odd place to have a display.   Small town in the mountains of Colorado.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:17:38 AM EDT
[#1]
There sign is wrong, that is an AH-1 MCN or Modernized C-night. It has a FLIR in the right side of the TSU.

It is a pretty rare varient and it makes me sad and feel old I was flying those in Korea 1991-1992. They never should have gone with the OH-58D but strip down the Cobras to G model spec, upgrade the electronics/sight package and you would have had an awesome scout with years of proven combat service.

edit - I was looking for production numbers but couldn't find any info but it was probable less than 20 made as they were fielded by 5/17 Cav and 1/2 Attack in Korea.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Paging Snake Driver.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The VFW where it's located should have the flight logs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at this site:

Here

but can't decipher the serial.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Its a 1970 model as the first digit of the tail number indicates the year.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:52:51 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a pretty badass static display!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Funny that it seems to have all its antenna and mission equipment in place other than the ALQ-144 IR jammer.

Looked again and its also missing the APR-38 antenna but most them were even when flying.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its a 1970 model as the first digit of the tail number indicates the year.
View Quote

Not unless that's a H-47
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#9]
If the tail number for it is correct I can assure you its a 1970 unless they were still making them in 1980? The newest one I can ever recall seeing was a 1979, my bird in Korea and most were 1968-69 models /
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the tail number for it is correct I can assure you its a 1970 unless they were still making them in 1980? The newest one I can ever recall seeing was a 1979, my bird in Korea and most were 1968-69 models /
View Quote

Not sure. Just going by Joe Baughers website. The '0-15001' is somewhat confusing. The US Army has a system of 'padding' the numbers to avoid confusion with the USAF.

Wiki:

"In 1967, the United States Army continued to use the fiscal year serials, but the numeric element was started at 15000 for each year. In 1971, the sequence was started at 20000, and was not restarted with each fiscal year."

and;

"When the original fiscal year of a serial became ten years earlier than the current fiscal year, the tail number was often prefixed with a zero, for example 0-16717 instead of 16717 for UH-1H fiscal serial 66-16717. This was for disambiguation purposes, to avoid confusion with tail numbers for later fiscal years. The practice was generally abandoned in the 1980s. "

ETA: Found it, a '68' model
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#11]
My, that is a fancy one.  I worked on the J model Cobra in the Marines. No fancy IR stuff because it wasn't in production yet, but it did have a 20 mm cannon and two engines which comes in handy when one craps out at sea.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#14]
We had Cobras when I was at Ft.Carson, so I'm not surprised to see one turn up in Kremmling.  During WWII, the 10th Mtn. Div. (ski troops) trained at Camp Hale, CO.   There has always been a large Army and Air Force presence in the Colorado Springs area.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#15]
It's kind'a sad to see the old workhorse in such a state of disrepair.  I respect their motives, but it would be better if they took better care of her.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Question:

The three barreled gatling  used on the Cobra.

The barrels seem to be slightly slanted to the center (from chaber to crown ), does this have a weird effect on targeting/soghting ?

Or is this just an optical illusion ?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Question:

The barrels seem to be slightly slanted to the center (from chaber to crown ), does this have a weird effect on targeting/soghting ?

View Quote

Short answer- no.
Area fire weapon, you get a beaten zone not one shot, one kill.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#18]
helis.com serial number db

didn't see it.

Warbirds and Airshows
Here is says: 68-15001 AH-1, Helicopter, Attack, Cobra Town of Kremmling Kremmling CO

Found the serial# 20535
worldmiltair

Your question about High Altitude Training
CO ANG HAATS

HAATS FAQ

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
it's kind'a sad to see the old workhorse in such a state of disrepair.  I respect their motives, but it would be better if they took better care of her.
View Quote

I agree. There are a couple of small airports I go by on a regular basis and they each have an F86 on display, both of them are faded and covered with bird shit, grime, etc.. I know it costs a lot for a small municipal airport to keep them in pristine condition, but they should at least try.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
it's kind'a sad to see the old workhorse in such a state of disrepair.  I respect their motives, but it would be better if they took better care of her.
View Quote

I agree.

There's also a Cobra on display at the State Veterans Home outside of Walsenburg, CO. Caught view of it from the highway while on vacation, did a u-turn and went back to check the old girl out. It brought back lots of memories walking around that aircraft. I opened up one side of the ammo bay, and sat on the door for a while reminiscing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Funny that it seems to have all its antenna and mission equipment in place other than the ALQ-144 IR jammer.

Looked again and its also missing the APR-38 antenna but most them were even when flying.
View Quote

APR-39
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I agree.

There's also a Cobra on display at the State Veterans Home outside of Walsenburg, CO. Caught view of it from the highway while on vacation, did a u-turn and went back to check the old girl out. It brought back lots of memories walking around that aircraft. I opened up one side of the ammo bay, and sat on the door for a while reminiscing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

Our Cobras in Vietnam were beat to shit and looked like spotted old dogs from having bullet holes patched, but functionally they were pristine.  We flew them all day, every day.  The maintenance, avionics and armament crews worked all night getting those ships back to 100% for each day's missions.  They slept while we were out chasing after the enemy.  I have tremendous respect for the awesome and often impossible job they did.  We had some spare parts ships that were often being cannibalized for working parts.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
This thread is worth the $24
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Our Cobras in Vietnam were beat to shit and looked like spotted old dogs from having bullet holes patched, but functionally they were pristine.  We flew them all day, every day.  The maintenance, avionics and armament crews worked all night getting those ships back to 100% for each day's missions.  They slept while we were out chasing after the enemy.  I have tremendous respect for the awesome and often impossible job they did.  We had some spare parts ships that were often being cannibalized for working parts.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

I hear ya. I served with quite a few Vietnam era Crew Chiefs and Pilots.

ETA: Over the summer I visited the Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum. On my way out, the veterans that volunteer to run the place, asked me if I enjoyed the visit. I responded that I did, and was even surprised to see an aircraft type under restoration that I used to crew. They asked me which one, and I responded "the OH-58". Those guys tried their best to get me to volunteer to take over the project. They had no one there with helicopter experience, let alone OH-58 experience. Wish I could have taken them up on the offer, but it's just not possible.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Question:

View Quote

Regulation. Same as double rifles and shotguns.

Nevermind - forgot that they spin. I'm guessing just for packaging/other engineering reasons.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

x2

I love threads like this.   I just read and glaze over.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Very cool pics.  Haven't been thru Kremmling in quite some time.  Thx for sharing.

We have a UH1 on a stick here in Fruita at the Western Slope Vietnam War Memorial Park.

Here's a pic I stole from the interweb.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Question:

View Quote

They may be slightly canted in. But they all fire from the same position. They don't fire simultaneously. If they're not aligned while on the outside of the rotation, it doesn't matter. As long as they are aligned when its their turn to fire, it's all good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Visit the Moose Cafe while in Kremmling.  Good French toast.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I agree. There are a couple of small airports I go by on a regular basis and they each have an F86 on display, both of them are faded and covered with bird shit, grime, etc.. I know it costs a lot for a small municipal airport to keep them in pristine condition, but they should at least try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go check out the A-12 (commonly mistaken for an SR-71) at NASA in Huntsville, AL.  Someone sent me a picture a couple weeks ago.  That plane is disgusting.

The A-12 in Birmingham is sitting in a field.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Also, helicopter and high altitude don't really go together. lol
View Quote
In a general sense you are correct.  But there are high altitude training and activities done with them.  

To address Snake Drivers comment This aircraft has birds nesting internally above the cannon and in the individual rocket tubes.  There is rust all over the cannon but in a greater sense for a static display this one is cleaner than most.  I absolutely agree that more upkeep of such displays is necessary. The pictures just suck.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

APR-39  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

APR-39  

Good correction.  APR-38 was the heart of the F-4G Wild Weasel until it was upgraded to the APR-47.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I haven't been by the one in Kremmling in about 6 months but I believe that there is a school to the northeast of it by about 150 yards. I don't remember it sitting near a VFW. I always wanted to stop and look at it but I never have the chance to do so.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#35]
There's a much nicer looking Cobra on display at VFW Post 8168 in Midland PA.  Right on the corner of PA-168 and 7th St.  Noticed it when I had to drive through town a few years ago.  Just looked it up on Google Earth to verify the location.

eta:  I suck at linking so I can't post the Google Earth street view like I had hoped.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#37]
We have a Cobra on a stick at the VFW here in Burlington,I drive by it every day.
Eta.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:31:24 AM EDT
[#38]
You're right, typing a reply on a phone and fat fingers + lack of proof reading

Never actually saw them mounted on a Cobra and first time I used one was on an AH-64A

Quoted:

APR-39
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

APR-39

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:43:26 AM EDT
[#39]
You know what I want if I ever have the money? An AH1. I'd fly it to air shows like a boss.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:57:07 AM EDT
[#40]

This one is outside the VFW post in Eagle River, WI
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was looking at this site:

Here

but can't decipher the serial.
View Quote

That is an Air Force Data Base. This would be Army. and yes, the year will most likely be 1970.

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a day goes by when I don't learn some cool new stuff here.

I worked on the S and T's in the Corps=Late 70's early 80's
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Some things were just born bad @$$; the Cobra gunship represents that in the purest of forms.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We have a Cobra on a stick at the VFW here in Burlington,I drive by it every day.
Eta.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/AH-1_on_display_in_front_of_the_VFW_Post_in_Burlington%2C_Colorado.JPG
View Quote

Nice!!!  That one looks much better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#45]
The old gal needs some TLC.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#46]

That's a pretty good "G" model except for the nose-cone and the wire cutters.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#47]
I've never seen a FPNI quite like that.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The what?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Here's a nice display of a Cobra & Huey that is on display outside the 229th Aviation Battalion HQ at Ft. Bragg.  It celebrates the time in 1972 when we received our 2nd Presidential Unit Citation for our efforts at the Battle of An Loc.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Go check out the A-12 (commonly mistaken for an SR-71) at NASA in Huntsville, AL.  Someone sent me a picture a couple weeks ago.  That plane is disgusting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Birmangham is pathetic...a real A-12 sitting in 6 foot high grass and covered in weeds and bird crap.  You could have dumped it in a field and it wouldn't be any worse.  I couldn't believe it when I drove by a couple of years ago.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top