Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a pretty good "G" model except for the nose-cone and the wire cutters.

The what?

WSPS
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The what?

Look up on top of the canopy in front of the doghouse......................wire cutters.  Supposed to cut overhead wires contacted during low-level flight.  It was a later day invention, not sure how effective they would actually be.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
ive often wondered in a delusional state,what it would take to bring a display like these back to life?are they completely gutted?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
We have a Cobra on a stick at my local regional airfield, Butler Pa.

It is always covered in bird droppings.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ive often wondered in a delusional state,what it would take to bring a display like these back to life?are they completely gutted?
View Quote

I know the B-1 we have outside our gate is pretty much the frame and a few other panels.  Most of it has been cannibalized over the years.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a lot of specialized avionics that goes with that equipment that makes it functional.  I'm sure all that has been removed.  I also notice the gun barrels have been plug-welded shut.  The engine is probably not installed either as a weight saving measure.  Someone with a highly specialized set of skills and access to some very special parts and pieces would have to spend a long time to ever get that thing functional again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Pickerington Ohio VFW.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Bad Ass
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There's a lot of specialized avionics that goes with that equipment that makes it functional.  I'm sure all that has been removed.  I also notice the gun barrels have been plug-welded shut.  The engine is probably not installed either as a weight saving measure.  Someone with a highly specialized set of skills and access to some very special parts and pieces would have to spend a long time to ever get that thing functional again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

damn..there goes that fantasy!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate static displays.....

They should have previous inventory maintained as reserves and to be used by retired people like Snake Driver....maybe keep up their skill levels with annual training...

Maybe make it like a part of a state defense force or something.....unlike the national guard.

Such a beautiful aircraft...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Look up on top of the canopy in front of the doghouse......................wire cutters.  Supposed to cut overhead wires contacted during low-level flight.  It was a later day invention, not sure how effective they would actually be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The what?

Got a few squadron mates that can attest to how well they work.  Not something you want to have to rely on, but they have saved a few lives.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Very cool pics.  Haven't been thru Kremmling in quite some time.  Thx for sharing.

We have a UH1 on a stick here in Fruita at the Western Slope Vietnam War Memorial Park.

Here's a pic I stole from the interweb.  

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag225/karst_man/huey_zpsdd1a7fc4.jpg

Not to dirty this well intentioned thread or anything....  

But this Huey was like spanish fly back in my single days.  I'd regularly make the run to Moab from Estes Park for climbing, biking and boating trips and Fruita was kind of in the middle.  Since the ladies of the front range Match crowd all seemed to enjoy adventure sports, there was never a shortage of weekend dates.  And since the AWD Astro van was my steed, it was quite convenient to pull in to catch some quick zzzzz's

The things that ship has seen...

cheers,

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]
A Cobra is infinitely more badass LOOKING than an Apache.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's kind'a sad to see the old workhorse in such a state of disrepair.  I respect their motives, but it would be better if they took better care of her.
View Quote

Couldn't the people that live in the town do basic cleanup and corrosion prevention on it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool bird.  I got to fly in one at an airshow a few months ago.  Ranked up there with one of the coolest things I've done in my life...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is an Air Force Data Base. This would be Army. and yes, the year will most likely be 1970.

Aviator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was looking at this site:

Here

but can't decipher the serial.

That is an Air Force Data Base. This would be Army. and yes, the year will most likely be 1970.

Aviator

Army serials are listed towards the bottom. The USA have a serial system that copies (patterns?) after the USAF. Or rather, they're extensions of the same system.

Are the covers missing off the bottom of the gun on some of those pics?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Army serials are listed towards the bottom. The USA have a serial system that copies (patterns?) after the USAF. Or rather, they're extensions of the same system.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

Aviator

It appears so, The 3-barrel Gatling was an afterthought for sure, but I can't imagine it was left all crude looking like that.

Typical Army Aircraft serialization would be something like 68-150000.  68 would indicate the year of manufacture.  On a Cobra, the full serial number would be on the right side, just below the back-seat location.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Couldn't the people that live in the town do basic cleanup and corrosion prevention on it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's kind'a sad to see the old workhorse in such a state of disrepair.  I respect their motives, but it would be better if they took better care of her.

Basic PM could be performed by local CAP/JROTC/ROTC/Young Marines/Sea Cadets...etc, etc.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A Cobra is infinitely more badass LOOKING than an Apache.

View Quote
Absolutely true and it is appropriate that when designing and building Military aircraft they take the design concept of function before form.  However in the AH-1's case both form and function came together into a beautiful machine.  The Apache is beautiful in its own way, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a Zulu variant Cobra or an Apache both are lethal machines in their own right.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

It depends on how the aircraft is displayed and what's the deal with it.

Almost any aircraft on a stick have been stripped of all the gear that is usable, especially if it's a current model aircraft that's still operating with the US Military.

A lot of times the aircraft that's used as a static display is on that has its service life used up, was damaged by in in-flight or ground emergency or was fucked u during maintenance so badly it can't be repaired at an economical cost.

This F-4 had some serious corrosion issues and was overdue for its Planned Maintenance Inspection, Aircraft Service Period Adjustment Program and its Service Life Extension program maintenance rework programs.  

This F-4 had its engines, avionics, landing gear and most other associated components removed for weight reduction and reuse.

The forward mount goes into the structure of the aircraft and attached at the same point where the main landing gear attached.

The rear support strut attaches at the tail hook attach point.

There is no way this aircraft could be made fight capable again without spending a lot of money, time and effort.

This F-14 caught fire while in flight, the crew was unaware of how bad the fire was.

By the time it caught the wire at Mugu most of the wiring had been destroyed.

The fire was so hot that it warped the center barrel out of alignment with the rest of the aircraft.

It too was stripped of all usable gear before being mounted on the stick.

This H-3 Sea King was an NAS Whidbey Island SAR bird.

It was flown from NAS Whidbey to the Evergreen Museum in Oregon.

It was parked, the wires leading from the igniter boxes were cut, the fuel lines to and from the fuel controls were smashed with a pair of vice grips and the mixing linkage arms were cut.

Nothing was removed from the aircraft, it was 100% as it was when it left Whidbey.

Most static display aircraft that are going to be displayed inside probably could be restored with a minimal amount of work (when speaking of a military aircraft).
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It appears so, The 3-barrel Gatling was an afterthought for sure, but I can't imagine it was left all crude looking like that.

Typical Army Aircraft serialization would be something like 68-150000.  68 would indicate the year of manufacture.  On a Cobra, the full serial number would be on the right side, just below the back-seat location.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

Aviator

I'm going from memory here and its been 22 years since I have seen one but it looks pretty right. See this pic

It is missing a feed shoot and probably had something done to deactivate it a bit but looks pretty complete.

Remember they just took a Vulcan, took off three barrels and re-timed it, pretty crude but effective! The gun was fun as hell. If you gave it a long burst at a hover the recoil would start to pitch the nose down on it.

Edit, here's another pic that shows the feed mechanism and chute a bit better, so yeah there's a little something missing

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:43:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, the gun is missing the feeder/delinker, feed chute, and most likely the bolts.  The turret ring is probably rusted in place, the elevation and azimuth drives are most likely frozen in place, and the rotor to the gun is likely welded to prevent the gun from rotating. The firing volt cable W2P1 is cut out, and the firing contact is removed.   That's what we did on a Cobra when preparing one for display.  
It's sad seeing all the rust on that gun.  
Better days:
Ejector rack maintenance.  Me in the t-shirt.

More ejector rack work, not me in the t-shirt this time.  

Doing some gun maint.  Me in the t-shirt this time.

The man with his back to the camera has his hand up inside the turret.  It's resting on the firing contact, and the firing volt cable has been removed.  I have no idea why Mac was making that face.    I'm sitting on the floor, playing with sockets.

Loading ammo for that gun at Grafenwöhr.  I did accomplish the stupendous feat of getting an M274A4 mule up one of those berms in front of the aircraft.

And one for Quib.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#24]
While it appears that the SeaCobra had a cover around the 30mm nose-gun, the Army's F-Model Cobra did not.  They just left it uncovered looking like a big ugly turd about to fall off.  Not attractive and streamlined like the older model Cobras at all.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Skid Kid Machines
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here's a nice display of a Cobra & Huey that is on display outside the 229th Aviation Battalion HQ at Ft. Bragg.  It celebrates the time in 1972 when we received our 2nd Presidential Unit Citation for our efforts at the Battle of An Loc.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Blue_Max_SnakeampHuey_zps34a61612.jpg
View Quote

Nice display, and I have been there ( Ft Bragg ) on many occasions, training with units there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I have one of those barrels. They are great for bending 1/2 in rebar.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here's a nice display of a Cobra & Huey that is on display outside the 229th Aviation Battalion HQ at Ft. Bragg.  It celebrates the time in 1972 when we received our 2nd Presidential Unit Citation for our efforts at the Battle of An Loc.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Blue_Max_SnakeampHuey_zps34a61612.jpg
View Quote

Cool! Old 1/229 support guy here. I was with them when they put them there. Flying with the DART team from Texas to Bragg, on a UH-60 was a fun ride. I also remember the hoopla over the wood pecker, if we went there. I think Jay Leno summed it up when he said something like " The environmentalists are worried about the helicopters disturbing the birds. The same birds that beat their heads against a tree."

1st Pursuit!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#29]
US Army Aviation Museum Fort Rucker

There are several in the museum as well as around post.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

While it appears that the SeaCobra had a cover around the 30mm nose-gun, the Army's F-Model Cobra did not.  They just left it uncovered looking like a big ugly turd about to fall off.  Not attractive and streamlined like the older model Cobras at all.
View Quote

The mounting holes for the turret cover were there, the Army just decided not to purchase the cover.  It did make things easier from a maintenance perspective.  You could get to most of the items without having to pull fairings first.

I still have nightmares about having to pull the main turret fairing using a speeder.  Just a hundred and fifty screws is all.  

Testing, or removing the Turret Buffer Amplifier was the worst though.  I would love to meet the engineer who decided to place it where he did.  A good ass kicking would be well deserved.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The mounting holes for the turret cover were there, the Army just decided not to purchase the cover.  It did make things easier from a maintenance perspective.  You could get to most of the items without having to pull fairings first.

I still have nightmares about having to pull the main turret fairing using a speeder.  Just a hundred and fifty screws is all.  
Testing, or removing the Turret Buffer Amplifier was the worst though.  I would love to meet the engineer who decided to place it where he did.  A good ass kicking would be well deserved.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  You guys were amazing.  When we were out flying in the field Avionics & Armament guys weren't anywhere around, so we had to load-up and fix any of our problems ourselves.  I could tear the old style turret apart and put it back together with my eyes closed.   Once while we were in a high-speed dive the turret door decided to come open and tear off.  It damn near turned us sideways and the ensuing bang from it hitting the fuselage as it departed scared the crap out of us.  We thought we'd been hit by a 37mm or something.  Not fun in combat when parts start falling off.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#32]
So what was accessed through here?  I'm sure its not luggage.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#33]
That is the doppler nav antenna.

There was barely room for a jacket in there if the ammo can was in. You could cram jacket behind the back seat
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

That is the doppler nav antenna.

There was barely room for a jacket in there if the ammo can was in. You could cram jacket behind the back seat
View Quote
OK I did not recognize it as an antenna it looked more like a door of some sort.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#35]
This one I photographed at a VFW in Port Lavaca, Texas.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

This one I photographed at a VFW in Port Lavaca, Texas.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/CircRN/100_2502_zps1f0a27d0.jpg
View Quote

Damn.

The brakes finally failed in the gun elevation drive.  (Droopy dick syndrome)

They hung some weird monstrosity where the sighting unit should be.

And, some genius mounted the TOW Launchers on backwards!  (Must be copying the Russians with a rear-firing missile)  

No shit, there I was moment.

The turret had an emergency stow (in elevation) if the power was lost, or the drives failed.  The aircraft could not land if the gun was fully depressed such as in this pic.  But, if the emergency stow control unit also failed, some poor sad sack had to go out and grab hold of the gun and hold it up as the aircraft landed.

I was said sad-sack twice.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And one for Quib.  
<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bytor94/media/OH-58ARunningup.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/bytor94/OH-58ARunningup.jpg</a>
View Quote

Ahhhh, the good ol' days. Thanks for the memories.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top