BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cop probably did not want to try and take him on his own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cop didn't do his job.
Should have hauled him off for disorderly conduct, property damage, and if he made any threats towards you or your wife assault.
He should have spent the night in detox at least.

It's already been covered, but there is no law against being drunk and out-of-control in your own house. You can get wasted and smash your own stuff all you want.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
.277 from that much? I am fat as shit and about as tall as him...two bottles of fireball plus those beers would push me well into the .30s.

How big were the bottles of fireball?

I bet his BAC was still rising when he went to sleep...in fact after putting his shit into a BAC calculator, he should have topped out at around .47.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: He's saying the right things, let's see if he means it and follows through...
View Quote

Of course he is, addicts are manipulative.  Should have given him cash for a hotel (on his card) for the night.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
.277 and coherent indicates serious alcohol abuse. Really serious. Most people would be unable to function at that level. He was breaking things and speaking intelligibly.

He has to go. It's for his own good, and yours.

Sadly, you will likely be the only ones who perceive the benefit of this in the near future. He will continue to get drunk and ruin his life. He's never going to play professional sports. Baseball has much better things to do than tolerate that kind of nonsense from a generic minor-leaguer.

He may hate the two of you until he dies, and that may only be a few years away.

If you give him a place to behave that way, you will only prolong the inevitable. He'll go crying to some other relative who may tolerate his behavior, but at least you won't have a violent drunk in your home who destroys your property and threatens your safety. You didn't mention children. Imagine the effect on them.

The most important thing to understand about addiction is that it's his problem and not yours. You can't fix it. It can't be done. Only he can correct his behavior. That will happen when his mistakes make his life unlivable. He'll either stop or die. You can't predict which one. Your prayers are the only thing you can offer. Your tolerance of his behavior will only enable him to continue to misbehave.

That sucks, but if he was born blind, you'd understand that he can't see. Understand that his body craves intoxication and he can't control himself. It has nothing to do with you and your wife. It's all him. You can only remove him to an acceptable distance and hope that he learns.

Alcoholism runs in my family and I've taken more than my share of shit on this site for offering understanding of it.

The only thing you can do is protect yourselves from any harm he might cause. I strongly suggest that you and your wife visit an addiction counselor and learn a few things about what's happened to your BIL. It may help both of you to hear it from a professional and a stranger. You mentioned prayers for him in your post. There are numerous Christian addiction groups that may offer you some help.

Good luck.

I'll say a prayer for all of you.
View Quote

Pretty much spot on.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Your first mistake was allowing him to move in.

Your second will be allowing him to remain.
View Quote

This, get him TFO of your house.

Would you let a rattlesnake live in your house always wondering if it would bite you?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The man has SERIOUS demons that must be addressed by professionals. Love and support is not nearly enough to carry the day. So FPNI. You all can still love him without being an enabler. As an aside, IMO you made several decisions during the course of the situation that are indicative of a responsible and level headed person, even if to the GD masses it may be perceived as non tier-1 think. That was not the time to blade and draw or to escalate an explosive situation involving an unstable person with bravado.

You did fine sir. The brother hasn't any more holes than those with which he was born and your wife still has her sibling on this side of heaven in spite of his issues.

I sincerely hope that the young man finds the help he needs before its too late.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I actually hadn't considered that possibility. Actually quite probable. Deputy was 26 yo, and shorter than me and skinny. I've gotta say though, it would have felt good at the time to see BIL ride the lightning.

Any who, his mom is coming tomorrow and they're heading straight home. He's scheduled to check into inpatient detox/treatment. I think coming home this evening and seeing the damage he caused made a HUGE impression on him. He's saying the right things, let's see if he means it and follows through...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cop didn't do his job.
Should have hauled him off for disorderly conduct, property damage, and if he made any threats towards you or your wife assault.

200lb athlete in a drunken rage? Anyone who wants to square up with that one on one at least thinks they're a badass

I actually hadn't considered that possibility. Actually quite probable. Deputy was 26 yo, and shorter than me and skinny. I've gotta say though, it would have felt good at the time to see BIL ride the lightning.

Any who, his mom is coming tomorrow and they're heading straight home. He's scheduled to check into inpatient detox/treatment. I think coming home this evening and seeing the damage he caused made a HUGE impression on him. He's saying the right things, let's see if he means it and follows through...

Is he gone yet?  If so, you are a fool if he ever comes back, rehab or no.  Wife needs to understand that right now.  How you accomplish that understanding is up to you.  Time to stand up and run your own household.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for outcome.

I grew up with a couple of 'entitled' alcoholics in my family, because SPORTS!  Nothing more sad and delusional then a high-school ath-uh-lete who gets slapped upside the head by reality.  Real world doesn't give a fuck if you were high school royalty, Uncle Rico.

Hope your BIL is gone today, have a sad feeling your wife and MIL are going to start with excuses before the day is out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Say "hey, your were out of control, your back to rehab or your not family anymore."
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Hope things go well for the re-hab plan. Only in the past few years have I seen up close and in a family situation the gut-wrenching problems that serious alcohol addiction causes. It is scary, because the person is unpredictable, and others who may normally see them as a nice, wonderful sort of person may not have witnessed the bizarre behaviors that can occur during a serious alcohol bout. And the addiction can be so hard for them to shake, even if they deep down know they want to.

It is OK to care about the person even if they are out of control, but it is up to them to get their life back, and up to you to limit how they can mess up your life with their manipulation and drunken antics. They need prayer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
All your problems started in the first paragraph.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the second alcohol related story that depicts the destruction of a family because of one's lack of self control.  This, ladies and gentlemen, is why over the last two years I've curbed my drinking from a pretty regular social drinker to almost nil.  A cocktail every few weeks out of enjoyment maybe?  Sure.  But the partying is over, and this is why. Drinking in excess only leads you down a slippery slope, and I saw myself going down it.  My wife is even annoyed at my limited drinking these days, which really makes the relationship difficult at times.  I've just come to realize it destroys so many around you and doesn't improve your quality of life.  Hope things get sorted out for you and your family, OP.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I would ignore everyone who posted before me and make contact with groups who work with family members of alcoholics.

I will make no attempt to give you advice other than to tell you the following truth......

The alcoholic/addict will not stay sober until they truly want to.

No matter what program you put them through, no matter how long the program is ......

If the alcoholic/addict does not WANT to stay sober, they won't.

Seek professional help OUTSIDE of ARFCOM.

Lots of asshats have posted to this thread   !!!!

ETA:  YES I have personal first hand experience in dealing with this problem. Alcoholics will look you in the eye and lie to you no matter what your relationship. They will go to jail and learn even better lies, like what to tell the judge so they can get out.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thank you, I agree with what you, and many others are saying. It should never have been allowed to get to this point.

So, update time!

He's now home with us for the evening. Against my objections, as we had firmly agreed he would not be allowed back, but a compromise was reached. The ONLY reason he's here tonight is that his mom is flying down tomorrow to take him home and get treatment. I've locked away all firearms except my pistol which will remain in my possession. There's 0 alcohol in the house and we have his keys. Hopefully all will go smoothly. He can pack his shit and leave tomorrow. I think coming home and seeing the damage he caused made a pretty good impression on him.

So, not the 100% ideal solution, but one I can live with

Oh, almost forgot. In searching his room, I found 2 co mpletely empty cans of computer duster...  Not only would there be no reason for him to have duster in there, but I've never fully emptied a duster can in my life. I always toss them when they lose full pressure. I suspect there's been inhalant abuse as well...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't respond to the individual posts that I'd like to on my phone, but for those that are critical of my actions, in many ways I agree with you. I can't justify some of my actions. I feel in most ways like I did the best I could given that I have NEVER dealt with someone behaving in that manner. It was truly terrifying.

You did fine. There is a major learning curve involved with dealing people who are drunk/high and being violent. Rushing back into your living room wouldn't have been a great idea in the scenario I'm reading, and probably would have tipped him over the edge making things physical.

Where you messed up isn't in how you responded to the situation, it's that you allowed the situation to happen. The BIL should have been gone a long time ago

Just make sure that you don't let it happen again

Thank you, I agree with what you, and many others are saying. It should never have been allowed to get to this point.

So, update time!

He's now home with us for the evening. Against my objections, as we had firmly agreed he would not be allowed back, but a compromise was reached. The ONLY reason he's here tonight is that his mom is flying down tomorrow to take him home and get treatment. I've locked away all firearms except my pistol which will remain in my possession. There's 0 alcohol in the house and we have his keys. Hopefully all will go smoothly. He can pack his shit and leave tomorrow. I think coming home and seeing the damage he caused made a pretty good impression on him.

So, not the 100% ideal solution, but one I can live with

Oh, almost forgot. In searching his room, I found 2 co mpletely empty cans of computer duster...  Not only would there be no reason for him to have duster in there, but I've never fully emptied a duster can in my life. I always toss them when they lose full pressure. I suspect there's been inhalant abuse as well...

Big mistake.  

You didn't reach a compromise.  You caved.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We ended up locking ourselves in the tack room in one of the barns. I know I probably sound like a total coward here, but let me lay it out a bit clearer. I'm 6' 1" 150#. He's 6' 2" and probably 200# of solid muscle. I have never been in a physical fight in my 30 years, and this wasn't going to be my first. I also REALLY did NOT want to have to shoot my wife's brother...
View Quote

You're not a coward at all. You did the right thing - remove yourself from the situation. You have the back up plan of the gun if he did get violent toward you two. You did the SMART thing. No one dead, and just some replaceable furniture got harmed.

Anyone who tells you differently needs to STFU.

Sounds like he needs to find a new place to live and get treatment. People like that won't change until they hit rock bottom. Hopefully that was his rock bottom.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't let him back...

Dealing with drunks...ugh.  Glad I don't have any in my life.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#18]
OP,

Your deputy was full of shit.

Call back your Sheriff's dispatch, tell them you want that deputy and his supervisor to return to your ranch and swear out a criminal damage to property complaint. There should be well enough property damage to get a probable cause arrest on him immediately.

He will have to bond out, of which part of the bond conditions should be no contact with any witnesses or victims, meaning he's out on his ass.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#19]
In for the update.
Good luck OP
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP,

Call back your Sheriff's dispatch, tell them you want that deputy and his supervisor to return to your ranch and swear out a criminal damage to property complaint. There should be well enough property damage to get a probable cause arrest on him immediately.

He will have to bond out, of which part of the bond conditions should be no contact with any witnesses or victims, meaning he's out on his ass.
View Quote

I don't think his wife wants her brother to go to jail.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP,

View Quote

Or OP's wife, who seems to be calling the shots there,  told the officer she didn't want to press charges. Sounds like her family has let this kid run wild till now, and I have not read anything that says that is changing.

OP,  First time victim second time volunteer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pretty much spot on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.277 and coherent indicates serious alcohol abuse. Really serious. Most people would be unable to function at that level. He was breaking things and speaking intelligibly.

He has to go. It's for his own good, and yours.

Sadly, you will likely be the only ones who perceive the benefit of this in the near future. He will continue to get drunk and ruin his life. He's never going to play professional sports. Baseball has much better things to do than tolerate that kind of nonsense from a generic minor-leaguer.

He may hate the two of you until he dies, and that may only be a few years away.

If you give him a place to behave that way, you will only prolong the inevitable. He'll go crying to some other relative who may tolerate his behavior, but at least you won't have a violent drunk in your home who destroys your property and threatens your safety. You didn't mention children. Imagine the effect on them.

The most important thing to understand about addiction is that it's his problem and not yours. You can't fix it. It can't be done. Only he can correct his behavior. That will happen when his mistakes make his life unlivable. He'll either stop or die. You can't predict which one. Your prayers are the only thing you can offer. Your tolerance of his behavior will only enable him to continue to misbehave.

That sucks, but if he was born blind, you'd understand that he can't see. Understand that his body craves intoxication and he can't control himself. It has nothing to do with you and your wife. It's all him. You can only remove him to an acceptable distance and hope that he learns.

Alcoholism runs in my family and I've taken more than my share of shit on this site for offering understanding of it.

The only thing you can do is protect yourselves from any harm he might cause. I strongly suggest that you and your wife visit an addiction counselor and learn a few things about what's happened to your BIL. It may help both of you to hear it from a professional and a stranger. You mentioned prayers for him in your post. There are numerous Christian addiction groups that may offer you some help.

Good luck.

I'll say a prayer for all of you.

Pretty much spot on.

Yep.
No easy answers here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

here.  Throw his ass out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Aww it's Christmas, can't he stay until after the holidays? For fucks sake.

Put him out before he hurts you or your wife. No other options.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP,

Well at least when he kills her they have a known suspect.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#26]
OP,

I would still go to your local court tomorrow to:

- initiate eviction procedures, even if he's saying he's leaving
- seek restraining order or ex-parte requiring him to not harass you, threaten you or destroy your shit.  I've seen ROs for people living under the same roof all the time
- seek court order for inpatient rehab. It'll allow him to be involuntarily committed.

The plan with his mother isn't going to work.

I would get your wife and go to a hotel for the rest of the day/night.

Good luck.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Is he gone yet?

Or was there another compromise, because, you know, it's the holidays and we can't stand the thought of him being in a treatment facility for Christmas and New Year's . . .
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is he gone yet?

Or was there another compromise, because, you know, it's the holidays and we can't stand the thought of him being in a treatment facility for Christmas and New Year's . . .
View Quote

Honest'y I'd leave out the Darvocets, Dust-off and a case of Canadian mist
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's already been covered, but there is no law against being drunk and out-of-control in your own house. You can get wasted and smash your own stuff all you want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cop didn't do his job.

This.

Also a shit load of people in this thread didn't read.  OP said neither he nor his wife even mentioned property damage to the cop.  I guess cops need to be clairvoyant now?  Lots of you people need to learn your state laws.  If you let a POS live in your home, it is now legally (depending on the state) their home too, as far as criminal law goes (anything that would involve cops).  Don't matter who's on the lease, pays the rent, etc.  It is now HIS house too.  Unless he agrees to leave, OP will have to evict him.  In our state the property damage would be a civil matter if the offender lived in the house too.  OP would have to take him to small claims for it.  Sorry, don't let assholes live in your home.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Hopefully by now BIL is on a plane with MIL.

I would change the locks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I hope it has a positive effect on him. Good luck and Merry Christmas to you and your wife, OP.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, it's tomorrow OP.  He's gone, right?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

If not, I doubt he'll come back to this thread.

In before his wife posts under his username that he is in the ICU courtesy of the her brother.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

In before his wife posts under his username that he is in the ICU courtesy of the her brother.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we taking bets on this outcome?  Is anybody offering 8-1 odds?  I think that's a reasonable line for Vegas to start with.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

+87

Your house your rules...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Brief background: my wife's 21 year old brother has been living with us since last February. He moved down to get away after a shitty relationship and to try to get his head straightened out. He has had problems with alcohol and drugs in the past, but had gone through a 30 day rehab program and was supposed to be sober. Ha. Ha. Ha. He's been drinking heavily since he came down. There have been some periods where he actually stays sober, but he always goes back to the booze. As a side note, he does have a history of bar fights, and blacked out rages in the past.

Also, as a side note...he's been aiming to play pro baseball for years. He works out two or three times daily and is built like a brick shithouse. 6' 2" 200#.  He has also, for at least the last couple years, been using all manner and variety of prohormones and other workout supplements. He was feeling depressed recently and got some blood work done and his testosterone was around 90 and his estrogen around 142. The doctor put him on 460mg/week of testosterone replacement. I can't help but think this played into the following.

This brings us to last night. I had gone into town to mail a package at around 3:30 PM. Returned home about 4:30. Notice BIL's Jeep is missing. My wife tells me he got upset about something and "went for a drive". That's typically been code for "go for a booze run". He comes back and sits in his cad for about 20 minutes. We suspect, correctly so, that he was out there drinking before he came in.

Turns out he pounded two bottles of Fireball whiskey and then followed it up with 10 bottles of 6% beer. We realized this situation was going to be difficult by about 5 PM when, after only 1 beer he was slurring his speech badly and was obviously pretty drunk already. He decided to treat drinking these beers like a race. Less than 10 minutes per bottle.

Things continued fairly peacefully until probably 7 PM. He got started on his "woe is me, my life sucks" spiel and started getting all weepy and shit. At some point it started shifting to anger and then exploded very rapidly...

While my wife was out on the front porch talking to their mom about the situation at hand, he made his way out from his room where I was praying he would just pass out. No such luck. He went out to the porch as well, and not too long thereafter I hear him yelling loudly then hear banging and crashing. I immediately went to our bedroom and grabbed my S&W 645. By the time I got back to the front door things had escalated. He was rampaging around the porch throwing things and punching walls and what not. I opened the front door and my wife pushed inside and closed and locked it. I quickly went to the back and locked the back door.

This was about the time I first contemplated involving law enforcement. I should have listened to my instincts. He disappeared for a short time, less than 10 minutes. Then he reappeared at the front door and started banging and kicking at the door. I truly thought he was going to kick it in. My wife went to the door asking him to calm down and to take it down a notch or two, and he did, long enough to get back inside.

He started making trips to his room and throwing his clothes and crap out the front door onto the porch and lawn. In the process of this we can tell his rage is growing again. I went to the kitchen in between his trips and got our coats and shoes. We were getting ready to bug out. I went out the back with the dogs since our gate doesn't open and you have to hop the fence to get out, wife was going to meet me outside. She ended up in the living room with him while I was out front.

I admit, and I'm ashamed, that I stayed outside and listened instead of actually going in at that point. He was screaming at the top of his lungs. Then the crashes started. Turns out he demolished one of our tray tables and upended and destroyed our coffee table. Luckily, he never actually laid a hand on my wife, but he was apparently right up in her face screaming. My reason for staying outside was that I didn't want to startle him or trigger him to do something rash.

At this point, hearing the crashing and screaming I finally called 911. I told them we had a domestic disturbance, that my BIL who lived with us was very drunk and threatening violence. They dispatched a county sheriff immediately. Unfortunately, we're rural and response time ended up being about 12-15 minutes. We ended up locking ourselves in the tack room in one of the barns. I know I probably sound like a total coward here, but let me lay it out a bit clearer. I'm 6' 1" 150#. He's 6' 2" and probably 200# of solid muscle. I have never been in a physical fight in my 30 years, and this wasn't going to be my first. I also REALLY did NOT want to have to shoot my wife's brother...

Finally the deputy shows up and makes contact with her brother. He broke down crying sobbing again with the cop. The deputy comes over to us and starts discussing the situation. Because he never laid a hand on either of us, he could not arrest her brother. Nor could he make him leave for the night since this is his legal residence, despite him not being on the lease. The cop told me straight up, "until he hits either of you, I can't do anything". I was a bit taken aback by that, but OK fine, we figure we'll bug out to a hotel since he obviously can't drive.

Her brother apparently tells the cop he wants us to take him to the hospital. OK fine. Cop leaves, things stay peaceful, we get him to the hospital. Apparently he immediately started getting belligerent with the doctor and nurses. Shocking.

3.5 hours after he stopped drinking his BAC was 0.277...  He finally ended up falling asleep at some point. I came home at about 6 AM to get all the horses fed, wife is still there.  

I may not have conveyed everything in the best way, but I'm working on absolutely 0 sleep and am a bit fried after that. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been that scared in my life.

I know this is really long, if anything is unclear, just ask and I can clarify.
View Quote

It sounds like he took some bad stuff and/or didn't cycle off correctly. Between those and the drinking his liver is probably hurting
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#37]
OK, I'm back. Didn't feel like updating before everything was done.

He is gone.

Read that again. He's gone. Wife picked up MIL at airport, she arrived, we loaded his car and they took off immediately. No arguments, no compromises, nothing.

I feel like a great weight is off my shoulders. My wife is recounting the whole thing to her sister via phone and turns out he had been drinking all day unbeknownst to us. I had taken him to pick up his car earlier in the day and he didn't get back for like an hour and a half. You can't buy liquor (even Fireball) locally. Takes about 40 minutes each way. So he drank 2 750ml bottles of Fireball through the afternoon and then went to get a 12 pack of Bud Light Platinum. Hr has no recollection driving to get the beer or drinking it. I wasn't here when he left, so I have no idea what he was like, but apparently he seemed OK.

I don't fucking know. This was easily, without a question, one of the most stressful, and frankly terrifying experiences of my life. I'll say exactly what I said to my mom, I have never in my 30 years on this earth, been in fear for my life at the hands of another person. I did that night.

I know many of you question some of my decisions. I do too. I've never had to react under circumstances like this.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#38]
OP,

Make damn sure you stick by your guns here. No one should have to live in fear of an out of control human being when he or she directly has it within their power to fix the situation.

In words which the brother in law can understand: This ain't baseball. You're not getting another strike.

You can care about someone all you want, pray for them all you can but at the end of the day it's up to them and them alone to deal with their problems.

Watch the wife next. If she's not 100% in line with your decision, look for a repeat should she permit the guy back into your house. At that point in time I would be carefully evaluating the merits of staying together.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Keymaster - good to hear he's gone for good.  No drama around his departure either.  Free!  Free! Free!  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Good that he's gone. You did about as best as you could in a shitty situation. I hope you stick with it. Whatever you do, no matter the circumstances, do NOT let him move back in.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP,

Make damn sure you stick by your guns here. No one should have to live in fear of an out of control human being when he or she directly has it within their power to fix the situation.

In words which the brother in law can understand: This ain't baseball. You're not getting another strike.

You can care about someone all you want, pray for them all you can but at the end of the day it's up to them and them alone to deal with their problems.

Watch the wife next. If she's not 100% in line with your decision, look for a repeat should she permit the guy back into your house. At that point in time I would be carefully evaluating the merits of staying together.
View Quote

Not even an issue. He's on his way back to Ohio. All their family is up there, so no reason for him to ever come back down. I really hope he gets this under control. He'll also be extremely lucky if his liver isn't totally trashed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm glad it worked out OP.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, don't beat yourself up. He is gone, no one is hurt, and life goes on. You done good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not even an issue. He's on his way back to Ohio. All their family is up there, so no reason for him to ever come back down. I really hope he gets this under control. He'll also be extremely lucky if his liver isn't totally trashed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

Change the locks on all the doors.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I think coming home this evening and seeing the damage he caused made a HUGE impression on him. He's saying the right things, let's see if he means it and follows through...
View Quote

I read your update on page four.  I tell you, I'm absolutely shocked, SHOCKED, I say, that apparently he learned nothing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Maybe you could buy him a new tv and a ps4 as a welcome home gift for when he comes back to live with you.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

He never had a key. We're in rural TX, our doors aren't ever locked.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can't fix stupid decisions sometimes...  OP is lucky.

OP used good judgment avoiding escalation.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

OK, I'm back. Didn't feel like updating before everything was done.

He is gone.

Read that again. He's gone. Wife picked up MIL at airport, she arrived, we loaded his car and they took off immediately. No arguments, no compromises, nothing.

I feel like a great weight is off my shoulders. My wife is recounting the whole thing to her sister via phone and turns out he had been drinking all day unbeknownst to us. I had taken him to pick up his car earlier in the day and he didn't get back for like an hour and a half. You can't buy liquor (even Fireball) locally. Takes about 40 minutes each way. So he drank 2 750ml bottles of Fireball through the afternoon and then went to get a 12 pack of Bud Light Platinum. Hr has no recollection driving to get the beer or drinking it. I wasn't here when he left, so I have no idea what he was like, but apparently he seemed OK.

I don't fucking know. This was easily, without a question, one of the most stressful, and frankly terrifying experiences of my life. I'll say exactly what I said to my mom, I have never in my 30 years on this earth, been in fear for my life at the hands of another person. I did that night.

I know many of you question some of my decisions. I do too. I've never had to react under circumstances like this.
View Quote

I am glad you got rid him Op,

otherwise you would have to waterboard the demons from him..

You just dodged an even bigger bullet on getting him out of your house, seriously.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top